• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's "Let's Watch Anime" OT14: Now Watching- The Tatami Galaxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Oh, no clock at the end? If that's the case, Ozu was with that other girl, so maybe he still has a chance after all? The transition and change in direction was pretty well done and now I really want to know how he fixes his life direction and love life, which he just now is figuring out is important as well, lol.

Akashi, here he comes!

Cornbread78

Tatami+Galaxy+20.png
Well, now he has lost his mond and turned into a bad shut-in... How did he go through such an extreme change so quickly. The mindloss reminded me a lot of Castaway as it was a 20 min. monologue on how his 4.5 tatami was his new world... yet, he has sone memories of the other timelines now (time didn't reset last tine, right?)

Very depressing episode with sone funnies built in, lol.

Episode 6 - English Conversation Circle
So, he's in three clubs, but what are they? They're only showing the English club. Oh, is Ozu in-universe participating in every club? I figured he was just following the MC around. Him learning English by complaining about Ozu is amusing. So, did he have a doll in every timeline and we're just learning about it? Oh, so that cowboy from the opening is actually the MC's Johnny. And he's CGI for some reason. Now, I'm all for not taking advantage of a drunk woman, but the MC's reasons are off. Regardless, the "gum massage" and licking is weird, and I would have gotten out of there anyway. Anyway, all things considered, things didn't seem to be going too bad for the MC, so I'm not sure why time rewound there.

Episode 7 - Hero Show Association
I was a bit concerned when this started out so similarly to the previous episode, thinking Funimation loaded the wrong episode, but it changed. So, this is actually one of the clubs from the previous timeline, but.. he's focusing on it more here? What were those guys doing at a kids show, anyway? OK, so Kaori the doll being there has a story, but does this happen in every non-movie-club timeline? This was a sad and pathetic fate for the MC. Plus, the Hero Club doesn't seem to have tied into anything at all after the beginning.

Episode 8 - Reading Circle Sea
Wait, I hadn't realized he had set up a meeting with Keiko that night. That makes his indecision even more dickish. Oh hey, for a moment, we actually saw the MC in a lecture! Are they really repeating so much of the Hero Show scene? Plus scenes from episode 6. Oh, so the Jougasaki documentary happened in this universe too? I figured that Keiko was an older woman, not that she was Ozu and Akashi.

This three-episode arc bored me after a bit each episode.

phaze

Episode 6 - English Conversation Circle
So, he's in three clubs, but what are they? They're only showing the English club. Oh, is Ozu in-universe participating in every club? I figured he was just following the MC around. Him learning English by complaining about Ozu is amusing. So, did he have a doll in every timeline and we're just learning about it?

Only in those three eps as I understand it.

Episode 7 - Hero Show Association
I was a bit concerned when this started out so similarly to the previous episode, thinking Funimation loaded the wrong episode, but it changed. So, this is actually one of the clubs from the previous timeline, but.. he's focusing on it more here?

It's more like the show focusing more on showing bigger part of that bit of his life.

What were those guys doing at a kids show, anyway? OK, so Kaori the doll being there has a story, but does this happen in every non-movie-club timeline?
The doll probably exists in every timeline but Watashi as its caretaker only in those three.

This didn't quite made the impact it made on the first watch but it's still a great episode. Seeing how the revelation about Ozu was foreshadowed in earlier episodes was a treat to see and the conversation with the Master still has some hard hitting truths for all.

The integration of Watashi's monologue into the reflection of road lights on the car's windshield is such a bizzarely unique of doing character's internal reflections that I'm pretty sure completely flew by me earlier.

Thud

Episode 9

So Ozu's arc is done and it's time for some tatami adventures.

Episode 10 & 11

The philosophy of the 4.5 tatami room huh. Considering the ending it was bound to happen. Wonderful conclusion.

Seeing Ozu as a small innocent boy felt really satisfying.

10/10

phaze

Episode 9

So Ozu's arc is done and it's time for some tatami adventures.

Episode 10 & 11

The philosophy of the 4.5 tatami room huh. Considering the ending it was bound to happen. Wonderful conclusion.

Seeing Ozu as a small innocent boy felt really satisfying.

10/10

Glad you enjoyed it !

Tatami Galaxy 10

I think my only complaint about this ep is that the way it has grown out of the preceding episode feels unnatural I guess. Like, Tatami's parallel universes, resets and all were never very scientific stuff, far from it but there was this sense of progression where a lot of eps seemed like a logical follow up to the previous one. The initial trio of club choices is subplanted by the experimenting with Master's circle,then in #5 by Watashi already in sort of desperation mode, followed by three episodes were he tries out yet another approach and ending in #9, where he falls to his lowest yet. I just don't see how the talk with the Master or learning Ozu's secret should result in the 4.5 Tatami ideology stuff but maybe I just missed something in the preceding ep.

Cornbread78

JAnO9QB.gif

Good way to end everything. They managed to finalize all of the timelines seamlessly and created a conclusive ending. He found that Ozu was the pioneer that knew what he was up to the whole time and finally linked the habging doll to Akashi, tgen made his move.

The show was constantly a ball of fun to watch everyday with great dialog and story lines to follow. The ecclectic visuals were also excellent and kept things interesting.

phaze

Bit too abrupt, especially with Akashi-san and the Ozu stuff at the end and all manners of convenient but I guess that's part of message, the only thing holding back Watashi was he himself.

Alright, time to finish things up.

Episode 9 - Secret Society
I didn't expect the bike stealers to come back, with the MC as its leader this timeline. This grand conspiracy does explain a lot, particularly Ozu's involvement, but I'm not a fan of everything being tied together like this. I don't think the piano music works with this blimp scene.

Episode 10 - The 4.5 Tatami Ideologue
Oh, so that's what a tatami is. It seems like the title and the ending visuals will be based on these last two episodes. I didn't think the MC was traveling to other dimensions until he mentioned the rooms being slightly different. I hadn't considered that to someone in this timeline, the others would look rather rosy.

Episode 11 - The End of the 4.5 Tatami Age
Huh, so the MC in the previous timeline could rewind time. I figured that it would be the final one and he'd have to figure out everything there. Starting with the ending is interesting. Or, I guess we're still in a timeline where he's stuck in his rooms. I'm not buying that there's much worth talking about with Jougasaki and the like. I figured that all it took to escape was to pull on the white plushie. The MC becoming naked is weird. Well, that just goes to show that the MC really didn't need to do much to actually get what he wanted.

Overall, those last two episodes were good, but I don't know, I wasn't a huge fan of the episodes before them.

Next series is Gankutsuou, huh? I watched it relatively recently, so I'll pass on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom