• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF "Let's Watch Anime" OT: Now Watching: The Eccentric Family (8/18-9/1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh? What is that?

Obviously their ability to turn into statues.

btZkbka.gif

There's nothing else, I swear!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Edit: At least we now know where the confidence to take that bow and arrow shot in the first episode came from.

I don't think the OG Japenese folklore Tanuki's had this limitation but who knows if the show exactly follows them, they already removed the best part of them.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

apparently all their fights end with them biting it of of each other

Episode 03

GUZvVOO.jpg

At least it looks pretty....

This episode was more of the same so I won't go into detail to tell what I didn't like about it.

Compared to the previous episodes, there were some nice scenes in this one, both involving this woman who is probably my favorite character at this point, not that it's a great feat to accomplish, the rest of the cast is not that enthralling after all.

Anyhow, the scene with the Fan was fun, although the part with the whale was kinda stretching it (what was up with that?) but at least all these wacky situations add some charm and flavour to this show so I'm not going to complain.

959nQcQ.jpg

This was the other nice scene, it's like "Up" but Japanese.

Maybe this show would've been better if I were Japanese or something, being able to relate to all the situations and "family relationships" in some way....

decent episode,

this show hasn't really changed that much. i like how they focused less on jokes this episode because most of the previous ones fell pretty flat with me. i think i've seen her grabbing the whale already in a gif somewhere but i don't know for sure.

i think i would like this show more if i knew more about japanese culture and customs, but i'm not an expert.

Linkark07

Banned
Episode 3

Well, something I can say about this anime is that it has a magical feeling others lack. The beginning of this episode was quite lackluster but it got better in the second half. Really liked the end, when the house started floating in the air.

Next episode seems to continue with this so I'm looking forward to it.

Yomidi

Episode 3

The show definitely has a nice charm to it, but I'm still not really feeling it. There were some nice scene like the floating house or the scene with the fan, but I agree that I would probably like the show more if I was Japanese or knew more about Japanese culture.

dluu13

Episode 3

Well, something I can say about this anime is that it has a magical feeling others lack. The beginning of this episode was quite lackluster but it got better in the second half. Really liked the end, when the house started floating in the air.

Next episode seems to continue with this so I'm looking forward to it.

The floating house was nice, but so far this anime is not making me as excited as the previous anime did.

Cornbread78

I love the personalities of the main tanuki family since they are so different. The art style and coloring still work well with the spirit of the show. You just have to love that flying house, lol.

Linkark07

Banned
Episode 4

Tanuki soup next episode.

This episode entertained me a lot. Still, haven't warmed up to the Tanuki siblings or their mother.

Shame there won't be more flying house :(

Yomidi

Episode 4

Best episode so far. Really liked the backstory and the fight between the flying house and the flying ship. There were some funny momente here and there.

Still not too found on the characters, I find them a bit boring.

Cornbread78

Eccentric Family ep. 4:
Awesome episode. Lots of air combat and back story with sensei as well. Benton is an evil woman and she is going to eat someone in that family eventually, I'd like one of them to kill her sooner..

Episode 4

Tanuki soup next episode.

This episode entertained me a lot. Still, haven't warmed up to the Tanuki siblings or their mother.

Shame there won't be more flying house :(

Episode 4

Best episode so far. Really liked the backstory and the fight between the flying house and the flying ship. There were some funny momente here and there.

Still not too found on the characters, I find them a bit boring.

Lol, every week we have exactly the same impressions of the episodes, fully agree with everything you guys said.

With the show steadily improving I can't really complain about most of the stuff though, Benten is still my favorite character out of the bunch, I liked how she kinda knew what was going to happen and flew away when things were getting real.

The fight scene was really good and looked pretty appealing, I hope that the show is going to have more of those moments.

Cornbread78

Lol, every week we have exactly the same impressions of the episodes, fully agree with everything you guys said.

With the show steadily improving I can't really complain about most of the stuff though, Benten is still my favorite character out of the bunch, I liked how she kinda knew what was going to happen and flew away when things were getting real.

The fight scene was really good and looked pretty appealing, I hope that the show is going to have more of those moments.

Benten is evil. I'll be sad when we get to the scene where she is cooking up the weak lil' tanuki brother for Fri dinner.
that better not happen..

Episode 5

So it's kinda odd that the MC isn't that creative with his powers, I don't know how strong his powers are and where his limitations are but he messes up too often. For example, in the last episode when the house crashed down, couldn't he have morphed into a parchute or something?

The same thing happened twice in this episode, first in the shopping mall where someone else had to shapeshift so he could hide behind it and in the house where he just transformed into a daruma. I know that he needs to mess up or else the story wouldn't be able to move on but it's still kinda jarring to see.

The scene with the Friday Fellows was fun, especially with the meat and the little show that he performed, I also liked the slightly uncomfortable atmosphere that was in the air, I hope that he's going to attend more meetings.

Then they left and went up to the roofs, Benten is just such an odd character in a postive way, I love it.

Linkark07

Banned
The interactions between Benten and the MC are the best part of the show

Agree with you on this. So far, the only parts I wait with anticipation are when Benten appears.

Episode 5

I'm starting to believe this is one of those animes which have a lackluster beginning but if you have patience it gets good, like Steins;Gate. This episode was far more entertaining (maybe because Benten appeared more) and more background story gets revealed.

dluu13

Agree with you on this. So far, the only parts I wait with anticipation are when Benten appears.

Episode 5

I'm starting to believe this is one of those animes which have a lackluster beginning but if you have patience it gets good, like Steins;Gate. This episode was far more entertaining (maybe because Benten appeared more) and more background story gets revealed.

It feels so strange to me how Benten just talks about eating them and MC just takes it. It's like some guy tagging along with his ex-gf after she cheated on him. Is it trying to show how tanukis have accepted as fact they will be eaten at some time or another?

Eccentric Family 04-05

Yeah, this show is pretty good. I still think the "Oh yeah, I ate your dad in some hot pot and I might eat you too LOL" thing is kind of weird but I think the MC and Ben Ten parts are probably the best stuff in the show, don't really care a whole lot about the other Tanuki guys or the dickhead twin family. I don't know what you are supposed to do when you are talking to the man who saved your mother and the woman who ate your father.

Yomidi

Episode 5

So far Benten is the best character in the show, so an episode revolving her is pretty good.
I agree that the fact that the MC is pretty calm with the fact that he might soon be eaten is pretty strange. I dunno, maybe it wouldn't be so weird if they weren't in human form 95% of the time.

Yomidi

Episode 6

Yeah, this show is starting to grow on me. Really nice episode where we get some backstory of the father and the professor. And they kinda explained the whole "eating tanukis" think, I guess the tanuki just accept the fact that they might get eaten.
I hope to see more of the tanuki family in future episodes. The Eccentric Family has been more about Benten than the family itself.

dluu13

EP 6

I was about to say the same thing. I don't have anything specific to say, but the show is starting go grow on me after being really slow for about the first four episodes. It still feels a bit strange though. I wonder if anybody got converted to a vegetarian after watching this show lol.

wow i finally have time to do this again,

the eccentric family 4

i liked this episode, it has found a balance between character development and things happening that i thought lacked in some earlier episodes. i liked how the old man was so stubborn and the music when they got reeled in was good.

episode 5

ok so i think this show is growing on me. i think this is the best episode by far because it goes deeper into the humans side of the story. i liked how the guy who helped the mom get better had a complex love for tunuki and still liked to eat them because of it. Benten really looked like a kid at the end though. she is asking for impossible things and it looks like she doesn't get the meaning of death at all.

QiBEzsy.png

this doesn't have anything to do with my thoughts but it just made me laugh so hard i wanted more people to see it again.

episode 6

i liked this episode, i think i'm going to like the tunuki guy more than Benten.

Linkark07

Banned
EP 6

I was about to say the same thing. I don't have anything specific to say, but the show is starting go grow on me after being really slow for about the first four episodes. It still feels a bit strange though. I wonder if anybody got converted to a vegetarian after watching this show lol.

I honestly don't understand that; why the father was ok with being eaten? And then the professor, saying he loves tanukis yet he also wants to eat them. Like he said, so many contradictions.

Episode 7

Public bath episode. While it started like a normal episode, after the two annoying siblings appeared, stuff got serious, especially in the ending. Again, expecting anxiously the next episode, since more backstory will be revealed.

I honestly don't understand that; why the father was ok with being eaten?.

didn't he say that he did everything that he wanted to do in life. he was content with all that he had achieved and saw his remaining days as sort of a bonus. apparently tunuki being eaten is just a normal thing in their life so he accepted it like a old man accepting that one day he is going to die. he probably was scared because he wouldn't see his children grow up but he wanted to go out with dignity so he could be an example for them even in death.

i do hope that they go more into the tunuki man's reasoning for wanting to eat the thing he loves, maybe so they can be a part of him? or because it's a part of life? i find him very interesting in that way.

Linkark07

Banned
didn't he say that he did everything that he wanted to do in life. he was content with all that he had achieved and saw his remaining days as sort of a bonus. apparently tunuki being eaten is just a normal thing in their life so he accepted it like a old man accepting that one day he is going to die. he probably was scared because he wouldn't see his children grow up but he wanted to go out with dignity so he could be an example for them even in death.

Yeah but, even though most of his children grew, he had a wife. I can understand the bold part though, assuming tanukis know they must die by being eaten.

Cornbread78

Damn that Benten. Like was said, she can just not eat him. WTF is wrong with her? The interactions with those two are great. Was that hisfiance' that was hiding in the chest in that shop before Benten grabbed him?

Cornbread78

Damn, good episdode with lots of backstory about papa tanuki and Benten as well. It's hard to grasp the tone of this anime, because the content of what is going on is sad, but he lives such a happy and care free life. His father had fulfilled his life-long dreams as we found out from this episode, so he was eaten with pride, but he is up next? Why not his broker? Still, is that his fiance' that is always following him around and helping out? Plus, did he admit to being in love with Benten, whom will eat him? Damn tough stuff here...

Yomidi

Episode 7

Woah, stuff gets serious. It was a fine episode, but I'm excited to see more backstory in the next episode.

lot's of set up for drama in the next episode, if i where more invested in the family i would probably like this episode more but i do like how it sets up things. i think that the next episode will be very interesting. i'm kind of surprised that i still don't really care about the family. i can't even remember there names and i enjoyed the human characters more. i can't help but wonder why i don't care about them because the story should be very much up my ally.

Cornbread78

Damn, they really kick in the feels in this episode as they go through the last night of their father's life. I wasn't expecting it to be as impactful as it was, but they framed the story very well and made you feel their conflicted pain.

Yomidi

Episode 8
This was pretty sad, probably my favorite episode so far. The episode made me really like the frog brother and the father

Episode 9

Nice episode. I kinda wished that they'd never actually show Kaisei, but oh well. Speaking of her, she is pretty funny and it looks like we'll get more of her in the next episodes.

Linkark07

Banned
Episode 8

Welp, that episode was quite sad. My eyes got a little teary.

Episode 9

They finally showed the other family daughter, which of course, says the obvious: the annoying siblings will try and do something bad. Hopefully they fail hard.

Linkark07

Banned
So have a majority of you guys watched Sunday Withouth God yet? Looks like that may be the best option for the next "Let's watch" but I haven't gotten much response yet. It only aired a couple years ago, so it's better if everyone hasn't already seen it...
Have it in hold, haven't found the time to watch it again.

What about Tsuritama?

Cornbread78

Damn, Kaisei was hinting at some omnious acts coming up. I'm guessing that the douchebag brothers are going to help that guy from the Friday Fellows and Benten catch one of the brothers (the one running for election) so the they can be cooked in the hot pot. That whole scene was pretty damning and she definitely knows what's up, but didn't want to admit it in the baths.

Linkark07

Banned
Is it just me or does anyone else want the Ebisugawa (with the exception of the daughter) to be the next ingredients of the Friday Fellows Hot Pot? What the father did to his older brother, that was quite low.

Crap, I hate cliffhangers.

dluu13

Is it just me or does anyone else want the Ebisugawa (with the exception of the daughter) to be the next ingredients of the Friday Fellows Hot Pot? What the father did to his older brother, that was quite low.

give in to your hate

Cornbread78

Wow, fuck that Ebisugawa family, their kids, and everyone associated with them. That's some grade A bullshit right there. I hope he can get out of that jam..

That whole family should burn to a crisp (other than the daughter of course) but how long has she kept the truth from the family now? Some major bullshit there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom