• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 Sells 2.37 Million Copies, 72.6 Million For GT Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

Update 2
Somebody on GFPlanet posted that in reply to me.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gt6-sales-discussion.292590/page-60#post-10948891

So they numbers are estimated by Virag's representatives from before July 2014.

I guess that is case closed?

Update
They received the numbers from Sony in November 2014: https://www.unitedstatescourts.org/federal/cand/286737/ (#23).

#23 is found here where they talk about these numbers: https://www.unitedstatescourts.org/federal/cand/286737/1-0.html

Thanks goes to Putty
As part of the ongoing litigation by Italian flooring company VIRAG, SCEA shared GT6 sales statistics with the Northern District Court of California. Magistrate Judge Laurel Beeler’s ruling in the court documents show this number to be 2.37 million copies for GT6, bringing the Gran Turismo franchise to 72.6 million copies sold across its 17-year history:

gran-turismo-6-boxartIn December 2010, the defendants released Gran Turismo 5, which included a simulated version of the Monza Track. In the course of designing Gran Turismo 5, the defendants willfully and intentionally chose to include the VIRAG® mark on a simulation of the bridge from the Monza Track.

Sony America distributed the Gran Turismo 5 game globally, including throughout the United States and North America, and to date over 10.89 million copies have been sold. The defendants’ unauthorized use and display of the VIRAG® mark continued in Gran Turismo 6, which was released in December 2013. To date, over 2.37 million copies of Gran Turismo 6 have been sold
It’s also interesting to note that GT5 sold an additional 230,000 copies since March of 2013 (when Polyphony last updated their sales page), a somewhat remarkable performance considering GT6’s release on the same console and the termination of GT5’s online services in May of 2014.
https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-6-sales-revealed-at-2-37-million-copies/

etta

my hard graphic balls
Weren't people saying it was much more, as the 2.2 million figure was old?
It was released when the PS4 came out, right? That's probably why it sold so low, people were upgrading.
It really isn't. Driveclub has sold 2 million on a much smaller install base and after a pretty much disastrous launch.
Oh yea, that's what the comparison was that was being made. "If DC as a new IP sold over 2 million, GT6 on a PS3 and massive franchise had to have sold more."

I'll believe it, definitely not surprised by how Sony had to be forced to give the numbers. I would've imagined 4 million by now but yeah, Polyphony and Sony have a lot of work to do it seems.

Best wishes.

Hopefully this will be a kick in the pants for them. I've been steadily losing interest since GT4 while the franchise has not moved forward other than in the area of graphics.

eFKac

Wow, really?!

I knew it underperformed, but was expecting something along the lines of 5-6 million.

Whoever made business decisions regarding GT6 should lose their jobs and be banned for life from Sony.

entremet

Worse than the PSP game. Horrific decision to make that PS3 exclusive.
Yep. I remember people defending the decision.

Sony went too long with PS3 support.

Puppeteer should've went PS4 too, instead we got trash like Knack and Killzone.

TBiddy

GT6 wasn't really that great of game. Well, it was, but not compared to GT5, in my opinion.

To this date, I still don't understand why they felt the need to add the Lunar-missions..

Bazookaxp

Wow, really?!

I knew it underperformed, but was expecting something along the lines of 5-6 million.

Whoever made business decisions regarding GT6 should lose their jobs and be banned for life from Sony.

It's not usually one person that screws up a game. Sony rushed GT6 so they are truly the only ones to blame if you are looking a finger to point at.

KHlover

Banned
Does that make it the worst selling mainline GT game so far? I mean many series would love those sales, but for GT 2.4Mil sounds like BOMBA to me. Released at the worst time possible, might have been better to just develop it as a PS4 game in the first place.

Weren't people saying it was much more, as the 2.2 million figure was old?
It was released when the PS4 came out, right? That's probably why it sold so low, people were upgrading.

Oh yea, that's what the comparison was that was being made. "If DC as a new IP sold over 2 million, GT6 on a PS3 and massive franchise had to have sold more."

Exactly, GT6 was pretty much sent to die on the PS3, people were promised a flashy Driveclub at launch of the PS4 (which never came) but people still upgraded and left the PS3 behind. I for one skipped GT6 as I had my PS4 and decided that I would pretty much use my PS3 as a party (Buzz/Singstar) and media machine.

Bishop89

Wow that sucks, really released it at the worst time possible. That figure is embarrassing for the franchisee. Would laugh hard if the psp game sold more

That's quite low. Any comparison with Forza or any older GT game number?

Right there in the article it says GT5 has done over 10 million sales - I thought it was quite a bit more to be honest - and I think GT3 is the biggest selling with about 14 million sales.

Edit - never mind; I see others have given much more accurate figures.

Basically, GT6 has done extremely poorly for the series and it was a poor decision to release it on PS3 alongside the release of PS4.

Kolx

WOW I expected around 4 millions and considered it very bad and yet the actual number is even worse! I hope GT7 is actually great and can retain the place GT had with GT4 and before.

Releasing GT6 as a PS3 only title in the middle of the PS4's launch window was colossally stupid.

It's not like the whole PS3 install base upgraded to a PS4 overnight. Only ~4 million bought a PS4 that holiday. That's still far less the usual install base Gran Turismo has.

Sony's and the consumers' attention was shifted to the PS4 front-and-center that holiday season. I got the PS4 on launch and honestly completely forgot that GT6 was even releasing in that period of time. Had the game instead released on the PS4 even as a cross-gen game I honestly would've probably bought it.

entremet

It's not like the whole PS3 install base upgraded to a PS4 overnight. Only ~4 million bought a PS4 that holiday. That's still far less the usual install base Gran Turismo has.
I saw GT as a pseudo evergreen game personally. It would've been a nice showcase title.

At least it should've been cross platform with the PS4.

inner-G

Banned
They have to get these games out faster.

Or just focus on 1 per generation and building out content for it.

Kysen

Sony were incredibly stupid to release this on PS3, should have had it as a PS4 launch title. Bad decisions all round.

I imagine some of it was the distaste from GT5 as well. Often times a disappointing game in a popular franchise will still sell well, it's the sequels that come after it that end up suffering.

W!CK!D

Banned
It was released when the PS4 cam out, right? That's probably why it sold so low.

Yes, PS4 cannibalized it. I only played the GT6 Demo, but I immediately thought "This is absolutely great!" Polyphony improved pretty much everything and still GT6 was the only game in the series that I didn't purchase.

I can't wait for GT7.

Putty

Not a huge surprise given the launch window. I've no doubt GT7 will be a return to form in 2016. Install base by end of 2016 should be around 45m? So I expect......6m+ but unlike GT6 this will have legs.

Sent to die as a few have said is probably the best way to describe 6. Really curious to know what Sonys forecast is/was. I just hope all these updates they've been doing for the past few years hasn't affected 7 in any way...

eFKac

It's not usually one person that screws up a game. Sony rushed GT6 so they are truly the only ones to blame if you are looking a finger to point at.

English is not my first language so maybe it didn't come across from my post, but I meant people, not one person of course.

Loudninja

Not a huge surprise given the launch window. I've no doubt GT7 will be a return to form in 2016. Install base by end of 2016 should be around 45m? So I expect......6m+ but unlike GT6 this will have legs.

Sent to die as a few have said is probably the best way to describe 6. Really curious to know what Sonys forecast is/was. I just hope all these updates they've been doing for the past few years hasn't affected 7 in any way...
I very much doubt that.

totowhoa

Banned
Ouch. GT hasn't been timed well or coming out in a reasonable way whatsoever for a long time now though. Real mismanagement there imo. Not a fan of sim racing but it's been interesting seeing Forza and others take over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom