• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 Sells 2.37 Million Copies, 72.6 Million For GT Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominator

Yeah this game just came out at a terrible time. I had just purchased PS4, Xbox One and a bunch of games. Going back to PS3 for a new GT just wasn't in the cards, as I'm sure it wasn't for a bunch of other people who upgraded to the new consoles.

They should have waited, but then DriveClub came out the year later and they wouldn't have put it out the following holiday either.

Either way, if they market it correctly, GT7 can and probably will be pretty huge for PS4 whenever it comes out.

Feorax

Even now so long after release, I suspect a PS4 port would probably sell significantly more.

Don't see any reason why there isn't some sort of definitive edition on Ps4 while GT7 development is underway.

Loudninja

Even now so long after release, I suspect a PS4 port would probably sell significantly more.

Don't see any reason why there isn't some sort of definitive edition on Ps4 while GT7 development is underway.
Its a waste of time I think,all that focus should be on GT7.

Man

It's the only GT game I never bought, simply for it being a PS3 release (post PS4 launch).

GT7 sales on PS4 next year should be back to normal (and probably their biggest GT release since 4).

Renekton

This puts major doubt on potential sales of GT7.

I will still buy it though. It is my best option since PCars gave my videocard the middle finger.

jiggle

big-mistake-o.gif

Not surprising. It was a very ill-conceived release strategy, and was quite obviously a cash-grab to get the most (monetarily) out of the engine that PD had worked on for years on the PS3 before they were put on GT7. GT6 will probably remain the lowest-selling mainline entry as I don't suspect GT7 will be released after the PS5 launches and without much compelling content, a la GT6.

It would have sold much more if it's PS3/PS4 cross gen, considering the only racing game PS4 owners have at launch was NFS Rival.

W!CK!D

Banned
They have to get these games out faster.

Or just focus on 1 per generation and building out content for it.

I'm convinced that one GT game per generation will do fine if the multiplayer is well designed. Given the insane scale of GT, it is probably best to think of it as some kind of World of Granturismocraft Racing MMO. Starting all over again with each new game doesn't seem smart.

Loudninja

Not surprising. It was a very ill-conceived release strategy, and was quite obviously a cash-grab to get the most (monetarily) out of the engine that PD had worked on for years on the PS3 before they were put on GT7. GT6 will probably remain the lowest-selling mainline entry as I don't suspect GT7 will be released after the PS5 launches and without much compelling content, a la GT6.
Umm what?

Fox Mulder

This puts major doubt on potential sales of GT7.

I will still buy it though. It is my best option since PCars gave my videocard the middle finger.

I don't think it does. GT6 would have sold way more as a ps4 launch title. It was stupid how late it came out on the ps3.

Honestly, I feel like GT5 coming out 4 years into the life of the PS3 is what caused this. Basically, 5 took longer than expected, which made them release prologue in 2008, and then their slightly misguided dedication to releasing 2 GT for each PS platform caused them to determine it was going to be a PS3 game.

And there's two reasons they wouldn't have wanted to do a port of GT6. The first is that they'd be better off having all hands on deck working on GT7. The second is that they would have totally been cannibalizing Evolution's audience for Driveclub in the process, simple to sell a few million copies of a port.

Well, there was no doubt the decision not to go straight to PS4 or even port to PS4 was a mistake.

But it's good for the studio not to worry about it and make a GT built for PS4.

Sjefen

Releasing on PS3 was a mistake. I bought almost every GT in the series and was ready for a next gen experience when they released GT6. Will buy GT7 on PS4 in 2017-2019

Pachimari

So looking at the mainline games:

Gran Turismo = 10.850.000
Gran Turismo 2 = 9.370.000
Gran Turismo 3 = 14.890.000
Gran Turismo 4 = 11.730.000
Gran Turismo 5 = 10.890.000
Gran Turismo 6 = 2.370.000

Ugh. I did buy GT6 though.

"Now it's time to erase that mistake". GT7 teaser trailer opening words....

Yes, I don't doubt GT will return to old strength with 7. And supporting the PS3 with great titles late into the cycle was nice... So saying that GT6 was a mistake hurts, but it probably was.

Putty

Yes, I don't doubt GT will return to old strength with 7. And supporting the PS3 with great titles late into the cycle was nice... So saying that GT6 was a mistake hurts, but it probably was.

Still, 2.3m worth of income. I'm convinced 7 is a fall 2016 release......

It would have sold much more if it's PS3/PS4 cross gen, considering the only racing game PS4 owners have at launch was NFS Rival.

Driveclub was supposed to be a launch game. The truth is once you let Evolution make that game, you couldn't release GT6 as PS4 only or cross-platform at the time of release as it would kill its sales potential. Given the whole situation, the best solution would have probably been tell to them (Polyphony) GT6 had to be a PS4 game, but have it come out either last fall or this fall instead of 2013.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
pretty sad actually. dont know what they expected when they choosed to launch it at the worst possible date..
it was a good game. The MP was the best in the series..

softie

I was waiting for 6 to come out for PS4, of course I didn't buy it. They're porting Tearaway but not GT6, WTF?! Must be a heavily Cell-reliant engine, that is difficult to port.

Xenus

So looking at the mainline games:

Gran Turismo = 10.850.000
Gran Turismo 2 = 9.370.000
Gran Turismo 3 = 14.890.000
Gran Turismo 4 = 11.730.000
Gran Turismo 5 = 10.890.000
Gran Turismo 6 = 2.370.000

Ugh. I did buy GT6 though.

Are we sure that's a total number and not just a US umber as it was released by SCEA

Man

I was waiting for 6 to come out for PS4, of course I didn't buy it. They're porting Tearaway but not GT6, WTF?! Must be a heavily Cell-reliant engine, that is difficult to port.
One of the big graphical feats for GT6 was that they had dynamic tesselation (performed by Cell). I'm suspecting plenty of custom code for this.
With the PS4 this would be a standard GPU feature.

EGM1966

Not surprised. Releasing it on PS3 when they did was a mistake and it just didn't seem to warrant the purchase.

It should have been aimed squarely at PS4 probably targeting a release this November.

The tail end of PS3 with TLOU and the launch of PS4 and since Sony has mostly seemed on a roll but GT6 is one of their 1st party missteps (ironically another racing game Driveclub launch was another).

I doubt this means too much for GT7 though. If it's good and a big improvement then PS4 popularity should see it perform closer to GT5 and rest of series.

I guess we should talk about the litigation though?

offshore

Goddamn, that's absolutely diabolical. Even knowing sales were unspectacular given Sony's silence, I'd have at least expected about 4 or 5m.

Not even 2.5m though... that's amazing.

I seriously doubt difficulty is the issue here. The reason you didn't port it in 2013 or 2014 is Driveclub. The reason you don't port after that is why bother when you know GT7 is coming out in 2016. You either have to have Polyphony doing it (and taking time away from working on GT7) or a high quality port studio like Bluepoint do it (oops, they're already working on the Uncharted collection for the past year+, and were working on other ports before that).

down 2 orth

When you play the game, the low sales make sense. There was little added in the way of content, and I imagine that not a lot of money was spent making the game relative to the other entries in the series. It was still really fun, and a good game to buy when there wasn't much else going on at the time. But the low sales were a necessary wake up call I'm sure.

Also, the music sucked. GT5 had one of the best gaming soundtracks of all times, and the soundtrack for GT6 was a massive letdown.

herod

The reality of budgets are catching up with the GT series. Assets have already suffered. It will always be an important franchise but its time in the sun is probably over.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Even just a PS4 port now would help boost numbers, but at this point they may as well just wait for GT7. I know I will.

Yeah, with all the talk of remasters, GT6 would have been one I'd like to have seen late last year or early this year. Feels too late now.

T-0800

I only buy odd numbered GT games. Releasing after the launch of the PS4 did it no favours. I can't wait for GT7.

Wow that's low for a GT game. Maybe with the ps4 dominating, and a really good GT7 for the ps4 it can come back to its glory.

GHG

Gold Member
If it was a launch title it would have easily sold 5 million by now.

Terrible decision. Hope it doesn't effect what gt7 will become due to budgets.

Xenus

Was GT5 so bad that it soured the GT name?

I don't think it was that as much as it looked like nearly the same game as 5 to the average user whether that was true or not. I didn't get it and I had every GT up till then except the prologues.

The reality of budgets are catching up with the GT series. Assets have already suffered. It will always be an important franchise but its time in the sun is probably over.

What I said about maybe doing a dual release I had almost forgotten how laughable bad the near PS2 level cars would stand out on a freakin' PS4 title from their premier series while all the other racers do not. If it was a PS4 only title it would compare even worse.

That's a complete flop by GT standards; even DriveClub will gradually sell more than those numbers with time. Sony (and everybody else) completely underestimated just how hard the PS3 would be dumped as soon as the PS4 came out. They'll never release a big game at the same time as a new-gen console launch again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom