• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 Sells 2.37 Million Copies, 72.6 Million For GT Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I didn't buy GT6 and I played GT5 for more than 500+ hours. Boneheaded decision by Sony to release it on the PS3.

Jimrpg

I've been saying the GT series has been on the decline for quite some time. They make way too many bonehead decisions and there are faster teams out there that make just as good if not better simulations, Forza, Project Cars, Assetto Corsa.

My criticisms

- takes way too long to get the sequel out.

- has a muddling range of premium and standard cars that drag the quality of the game down.

- is generally the same career mode for each iteration (I have not played 6 though). While I like the idea of license tests, I feel like they just cut and dump it out from the old game.

- people play it for wow graphics factor but it seems like it can't really compete with the PC games in this department.

- physics are arguably beaten by those other car simulations I listed above.

It's not surprising after GT5 people are getting tired of the series.

I skipped it after Gran Turismo 5.They have a huge task on their hands with GT7 and it better not take forever to release.
I had owned all of them before that.

W!CK!D

Banned
I was waiting for 6 to come out for PS4, of course I didn't buy it. They're porting Tearaway but not GT6, WTF?! Must be a heavily Cell-reliant engine, that is difficult to port.

Even if you compare them to the output of other SCE 1st-parties, Gran Turismo games are technical marvels. GT6 pushed a 1440x1080 resolution, which is more than most Xbox One games achieve. The graphics and the antialiasing were improved compared to GT5 and they still aimed for a 60fps target.

I mean, this is running at 1440x1080 and (targeted at) 60fps on ten years old hardware with an absolutely ridiculous tiny amount of 256MB VRAM: Video

The aspiration behind this franchise is unparalleled and I think Polyphony just tries to get every last bit of performance out of the hardware that they have at their disposal. A cross-gen developed Gran Turismo doesn't fit into that self-conception.

Are we sure that's a total number and not just a US umber as it was released by SCEA

Reading the pdf seems pretty sure that those are global numbers. I think it can be argue that we don't really know how up to date the digits are : they can be as old as august '14, when the complaint has been initially filled. That would be a mere 7 to 8 months after the initial release of the game.

klee123

Should have changed it to PS4 instead, and with these new figures, I highly doubt GT6 made back money.

I remembered a few people kept on defending Sony's decision to keep it on PS3 due to the "80 million owners" nonsense, but in reality sales of last gen consoles and games have dropped like a rock as soon as the current gen consoles arrived.

Had GT6 been a PS4 game, sure we may not have seen it at the console's launch, but I suspect we would have seen it by now and it would have definitely sold a lot better.

Even if you compare them to the output of other SCE 1st-parties, Gran Turismo games are technical marvels. GT6 pushed a 1440x1080 resolution, which is more than most Xbox One games achieve. The graphics and the antialiasing were improved compared to GT5 and they still aimed for a 60fps target.

I mean, this is running at 1440x1080 and (targeted at) 60fps on ten years old hardware with an absolutely ridiculous tiny amount of 256MB VRAM: Video

The aspiration behind this franchise is unparalleled and I think Polyphony just tries to get every last bit of performance out of the hardware that they have at their disposal. A cross-gen developed Gran Turismo doesn't fit into that self-conception.

While PD has approached GT5/6 a bit of a mixed bag with things like standard cars, yeah, when they hit the highs, they really hit the highs like crazy.

RibMan

Horrific sales due to a horrific marketing decision. The fact that there are people in this thread who didn't know GT6 existed is very telling of how poor of a job Sony did with GT6.

benzy

You'd imagine all the new cars they've added are future proof anyway of course. I do hope though that the shift to PS4 has been smooth...would have to be really given the ease of PS4 development.

Should be a smooth transition considering the helped develop the PS4.

“Key members of Polyphony Digital are involved in the very development of the PS4 and the Vita,” the likeable executive said. “I am thinking of asking them what’s going on with Gran Turismo, but related matters will probably be made clear by its representative Kazunori Yamauchi in due time.”

-Shuhei Yoshida 25th Feb 2013

I'd agree about the timing being terrible, but I also think racing games are nowhere near as popular as they were in the PS2 era and a lot of the hardcore fans of sims have moved to PC.

Ouch. GT hasn't been timed well or coming out in a reasonable way whatsoever for a long time now though. Real mismanagement there imo. Not a fan of sim racing but it's been interesting seeing Forza and others take over.

That is still higher number than any other racing sim has done in recent years as far as I know.

I still think GT7 will be return to glory for them(they can't really afford to fuck it up).

Brofist

First one on a new platform always does well, so PS4 one will do fine. Series is on the decline though, I wouldn't be surprised if 7 does half of 5.

Lacix

I don't think it was that as much as it looked like nearly the same game as 5 to the average user whether that was true or not. I didn't get it and I had every GT up till then except the prologues.
I haven't bought it because of PS4 and the not fixed things. (standard cars, car sounds)

I wonder how this is possible when reportedly 2.5 million people downloaded the Aston Martin Vision GT: https://www.gtplanet.net/2-5-millio...ston-martins-vision-gt-car-in-gran-turismo-6/

One number is wrong. Most likely the one coming from Aston Martin, but could it also be possible that this new number from SCEA only refers to North American sales?

I thought about this too, but no one has presented any information(yet) refuting that these are worldwide numbers.

BAW

Banned
There was little added in the way of content

Bullshit. GT6 was a monster of a game. Possibly the best game of the generation.

Saddened to see the consumers acting like mindless lemmings once again and passing up on the best GT to date for reasons that are laughable (IMO of course). GT6 was everything I wanted from GT. I don't want to see content-starved GTs like GT1, GT3 and GT5 again (the even numbers is where it's at).

That is still higher number than any other racing sim has done in recent years as far as I know.

I still think GT7 will be return to glory for them(they can't really afford to fuck it up).

It's better than Forza 5, Driveclub, and every other racing game released since then.

I wonder how this is possible when reportedly 2.5 million people downloaded the Aston Martin Vision GT: https://www.gtplanet.net/2-5-millio...ston-martins-vision-gt-car-in-gran-turismo-6/

One number is wrong obiously. Most likely the one coming from Aston Martin, but could it also be possible that this new number from SCEA only refers to North American sales?

Used copies could easily account for that. Oh, and given what we know about GT5's first month NPD sales, I highly, highly doubt that that is just a North America number.

I think the better question is when is the number in the OP from .

The number in the OP is from documents filed as part of a lawsuit. It'd be a really bad idea to lie in those.

Bad release timing for GT6 as everyone has noted.

GT7 will return the franchise to gang buster numbers easily.
Especially knowing that Sony will market the shit out of it.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Ouch. GT hasn't been timed well or coming out in a reasonable way whatsoever for a long time now though. Real mismanagement there imo. Not a fan of sim racing but it's been interesting seeing Forza and others take over.

Hahaha, no.
One game released on a (by then) already last-gen system doesn't a franchise downfall make. Gran Turismo 5 + Prologue alone sold more than the entire library of Forza games up until Forza 5.

I have no doubts that GT7 will explode as well. I personally can't wait.

Takao

Banned

One number is wrong obiously. Most likely the one coming from Aston Martin, but could it also be possible that this new number from SCEA only refers to North American sales?

Unless you think Gran Turismo 5 sold 10 million units just in North America, there's no reason to believe those aren't global figures. The court document, which claims the figures are to date, was published on August 21st, 2015.

Used copies could easily account for that.

I guess but that car came out in July 2014 and by august it already had 2.5 million downloads.
Don't seem like it would have that much used copies to be trade in such short time or that everyone that had the game download the car .
But multiple accounts and used game sales could be the reason like you and others said .

Occam

Wrong time, wrong console.

However, it should be noted that Sony's long support of PS3 (and the other PlayStations before it) is one of the reasons why most people prefer PlayStation over Xbox. When you buy a PlayStation early on, you know it will be supported for many years to come, until the very end of the generation and beyond.
This general impression has a high value which can't easily be quantified in monetary terms.

That having been said, games like GT6 and Puppeteer should probably have been released on both PS3 and PS4.

orochi91

Well done, Sony.

You've mismanaged the fuck out of your most iconic IP.

Salute to whoever at SCE thought making it a PS3 exclusive that late in the cycle was a brilliant idea.

Somebody please give Shuhei Yoshida a congratulatory pat on the back too.

Goddamn amateurs.

Vena

Unless you think that the document reports GT5 at 10 mil for Amercian only:
Sony America distributed the Gran Turismo 5 game globally, including throughout the United States and North America, and to date over 10.89 million copies have been sold.

These numbers are definitely world-wide. The global discussion is never changed to an American-local one.
To date, over 2.37 million copies of Gran Turismo 6 have been sold.

Jimrpg

While I think its a technical marvel - this is precisely the reason why it always take far too long to come out and in the end it gets overtaken by the competition.

Steroyd

Dayum that's one heavy crash.

Gran Turismo - 10,850,000
Gran Turismo 2 - 9,370,000
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec - 14,980,000
Gran Turismo 4 - 11,730,000
Gran Turismo 5 - 10,660,000

Just shows how stupid it was not to have it a cross gen launch title, it's been so consistent until the PS4 murdered the latest entry.

GT6 released at a bad time. Had it been a PS4 launch title, it definitely would have sold 4+ million at the very least especially considering Driveclub a new IP sold 2+ million on the PS4 despite it launching a year late with problems.

No doubt GT7 will bounce the franchise back though.

Business

Proves it wasn't the right decision to release it on PS3. I skipped it too despite putting many hours on 5.

Really happy this game sold like shit, they barely changed anything and hopefully it'll give them a kick up the ass in terms of the new things they need to implement in the next instalment. I doubt they'll change anything, gotta keep that '1,000' car list up as a feature.

It was a bone headed move to release on PS3, the fuck up off all fuck ups. 2.37 is simply awful, 5 prologue did over 5 million. If nothing else this will hopefully put Yamauchi on a leash, this guy seemed above anyone else for Sony first party and his shit decisions stayed unnoticed until now.

Yiazmat

TNfQh8I.gif

This is why they were so embarrassed to update their website.

Hopefully this will teach them a lesson that they just can't keep putting out these unfinished clusterfucks they call games.

I'm still waiting for the course maker 2 years later.

down 2 orth

Bullshit. GT6 was a monster of a game. Possibly the best game of the generation.

Saddened to see the consumers acting like mindless lemmings once again and passing up on the best GT to date for reasons that are laughable (IMO of course). GT6 was everything I wanted from GT. I don't want to see content-starved GTs like GT1, GT3 and GT5 again (the even numbers is where it's at).

Well I liked it, but it came off more as an update to GT5 than a full on game. There wasn't a lot of new artwork, though the new courses that were added did look nice. The presentation wasn't there. There was better car physics.

I would take GT over any Forza game (except for 5, haven't played that) or that trashy Horizon spin off, but at the same time I don't think GT6 had the content that a sequel deserves.

max-pain

Maybe because the numbers in the court document are old. (Like "as of Mar 2014" or something similar.) That's my guess.

Afrikan

I've been saying the GT series has been on the decline for quite some time. They make way too many bonehead decisions and there are faster teams out there that make just as good if not better simulations, Forza, Project Cars, Assetto Corsa.

My criticisms

- takes way too long to get the sequel out.

- has a muddling range of premium and standard cars that drag the quality of the game down.

- is generally the same career mode for each iteration (I have not played 6 though). While I like the idea of license tests, I feel like they just cut and dump it out from the old game.

- people play it for wow graphics factor but it seems like it can't really compete with the PC games in this department.

- physics are arguably beaten by those other car simulations I listed above.

It's not surprising after GT5 people are getting tired of the series.

had to quote this post...lol. See you in 2016/17 arbok

BHK3

Banned
I can only imagine sony execs having their heads in their hands thinking about how bad they fucked this up. I'm still shocked that we even got TWO GT's last gen, GT5 was always this marvel awaiting to happen then only 3 years later it gets shut down and replaced...fucking over like 10 million owners.

I remember some were trying to claim that it sold 4-5 million+, but there was never any real evidence to support their assertions. Makes sense that Polyphony didn't update the numbers now. They should've released this for PS4 instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom