• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Wolfenstein The New Order

Woah! I'm finally able to create my first ever thread now that I'm a member :)

And what better way to start it with an absolute gem: Wolfenstein The New Order.

Wolfenstein-The-New-Order-Quad-HD-QHD-1440p-resolution-wallpapers.jpg

By the way, before I forget, here are a few things you might want to know:

- It was my first Wolfenstein game that I've ever played. I picked up the PS4 version, 100% platinum-ed it, with ~15 hours playtime. I did finish the game like a month ago, but I was just waiting to become a member so that I can post my own thread and hear what others have to say about it. So without further ado, here are my impressions:

7bb0655df0a3036d81cd7cd4f67cfd5c.png

The game is a nice throwback to classic FPS games with superb gameplay and amazing level design. One of the few games nowadays that I feel rewards exploration. You can spend your extra time exploring every nook and cranny and won't be disappointed to find hidden collectibles or useful items to help you along the way, rather than be greeted with an empty room or space.

The way you can approach most encounters is a great thing in my book, giving you added flexibility in whatever play style suits you, whilst being rewarded for that with the perk system.

But I guess my biggest surprise was the writing and story. As an FPS game, I was pleasantly surprised to see it have great voice acting and writing with a story that draws you in until the end. Particularly the main character, some of the lines he says occasionally are said really well. I was very impressed. One of my favourite quotes has to be:

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. F*ck you, Moon."

Absolute gold.

"Death at the gates again. Howling my name. Can't greet you today. Got a war to win."

^^ And just another one that I remembered that puts the cherry on top for me.

Visually speaking, it's a polished game, that's aided by the silky smooth 60fps. Granted, there are a few rough textures here and there, but overall, I think they did a nice job at depicting the era and the art style is competent at what it represents. The audio isn't too shabby either.

Oh and did I mention? The soundtrack is absolutely phenomenal.

Overall, it's a 9/10 in my book. Additional weapons of a wider variety and more different types of enemies and objectives would be welcomed improvements. So lets hope they can implement that in the sequel if there ever is one!

I also think this game is severely underrated. I mean a 79 on Metacritic? Get outta here!

But yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed it. On that note, would you guys recommend the DLC? I don't have time to play games right now (haven't gamed in weeks) due to being busy with studies, but when the time comes, how well does the standalone DLC compare to the main game?

And finally, how did you guys find the game? Did you like it? Dislike it? Feel neutral towards it? I'd like to hear what you think! Thanks for reading.

Salsa

I picked it up and The Old Blood during the summer sale and since then it's been non stop new releases so I havent had the time

but im really, really looking forward to it.

SkylineRKR

Gameplay is perfect. Gunplay is hilariously good. To me this was the best single player FPS since Crysis 1 or perhaps even HL2.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I loved it. What a pleasant surprise it was. I've been running through PS4 titles after a hiatus, and that was one of the best ones I've played. Period.

Even has some stealth optional elements to it also.

Gameplay is perfect. Gunplay is hilariously good. To me this was the best single player FPS since Crysis 1 or perhaps even HL2.

It definitely is up there with the greats.
The game has is full of heart too. I really enjoyed the dialogue, characters, and aesthetic design of everything.

BTW, the game's german and use of it is pitch perfect.

The Old Blood is also fraking brilliant.
Amazing FPS.

I look forward to whatever MachineGames does next.

Their next game will be unshackled from the techno-husk that is idtech 5 and will use glorious idtech6... I cannot fucking wait.

vocab

The only complaint I have is the engine sucks for PC, and some of the audio gets a bit too low in some cases. It's a good game though.

Finished playing through the game recently and I loved it too! I haven't played as awesome of a FPS single player campaign since... maybe Portal 2. Awesome game.

I liked it but there were way too many cod-style scripted sequences, i preferred it when the game just let me do my thing.

Those were definitely the game's high parts

The concentration camp level's linearity at the end was actually a chore more than being cathartic. In spite of the nice cutscene starting it.

I picked it up and The Old Blood during the summer sale and since then it's been non stop new releases so I havent had the time

but im really, really looking forward to it.

Yup, hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Good thing you picked it up!

I loved it. What a pleasant surprise it was. I've been running through PS4 titles after a hiatus, and that was one of the best ones I've played. Period.

Even has some stealth optional elements to it also.

Those were the highlights for me. Really enjoyed that aspect, and especially because it rewarded you for whatever playstyle you saw fit.

Couldn't agree more!

I really need to get around to playing this game.

Think it will be my next game after MGS V.

Wise choice :D

Amazing FPS.

I look forward to whatever MachineGames does next.

Definitely this. Whatever they produce next, I will definitely buy.

One hell of a way to make a first thread.

Fucking AWESOME game.

Haha thanks, and yes, it is an awesome game!

It definitely is up there with the greats.
The game has is full of heart too. I really enjoyed the dialogue, characters, and aesthetic design of everything.

BTW, the game's german and use of it is pitch perfect.

Yep, the German was authentic from what I could tell, and I don't even speak German lol! It stayed true to its roots, and what you said above about the dialogue and characters etc, is exactly why I fell in love with the game!

I still need to play this game. It looks awesome!

Yes, yes you do :p

The only complaint I have is the engine sucks for PC, and some of the audio gets a bit too low in some cases. It's a good game though.

Ah, that sucks. I did play on PS4 and didn't really encounter any bugs, but sucks for you that it did. Hope it improves on the next entry!

I liked it but there were way too many cod-style scripted sequences, i preferred it when the game just let me do my thing.

Yeah, I can see where that can stem from. Can't disagree there, but I guess I haven't really ever seen scripted sequences as a bad thing tbh. But I can see why people think so!

Finished playing through the game recently and I loved it too! I haven't played as awesome of a FPS single player campaign since... maybe Portal 2. Awesome game.

Yep, up there in one of the greatest FPS experiences for me. And yes ever since Portal 2 for me too, which I played last October, as I was LTTP for that too! :p

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for visting btw, particularly as it's my first thread! It's appreciated! :D

Salsa

weird question but; how much does an SSD affect this game's performance? I dunno if megatextures are better suited there or if how they work precisely doesnt make it that big a deal. not sure if making myself clear

reason im asking is this game is fucking huge and im waiting to play it cause i'd have to uninstall both The Witcher 3 and MGSV from my SSD to get it in there and im not done with either

might just go regular HDD

Loved this game so much.

Art direction is beautiful, gunplay is satisfying, encounters are varied, music is great, and shit the game just has style. Love the black/red clean aesthetic they went for with the menus and promotional material
yes I know it's meant to evoke the Nazis

Really wasn't feeling The Old Blood as a whole but it was still a treat to have some more time with B.J. before the inevitable sequel (which we'll hopefully get 2017 at the latest) and the weapons were better than the base game.

I'd like to see them further advance the world's technology in the next game, keep adding more robots/robotic enhancements and the like (while retaining the retro)

Rockk

This and the bullet sponge enemies at the end destroy a lot of the game. I think a 8/10 is pretty accurate.

Although if the game had rocket jumping then it'd be an easy 10/10

vocab

weird question but; how much does an SSD affect this game's performance? I dunno if megatextures are better suited there or if how they work precisely doesnt make it that big a deal. not sure if making myself clear

reason im asking is this game is fucking huge and im waiting to play it cause i'd have to uninstall both The Witcher 3 and MGSV from my SSD to get it in there and im not done with either

I honestly don't think it effects it much. I tried using the SSD for storing textures, but it made the game even worse. There was some weird instances where I was getting audio cutouts and micro stutters unless I restarted. I'm convinced the game didn't load properly because it never happen again. Games a total vram hog that's for sure.

Loved this game so much.

Art direction is beautiful, gunplay is satisfying, encounters are varied, music is great, and shit the game just has style. Love the black/red clean aesthetic they went for with the menus and promotional material
yes I know it's meant to evoke the Nazis

Really wasn't feeling The Old Blood as a whole but it was still a treat to have some more time with B.J. before the inevitable sequel (which we'll hopefully get 2017 at the latest) and the weapons were better than the base game.

I'd like to see them further advance the world's technology in the next game, keep adding more robots/robotic enhancements and the like (while retaining the retro)

Yup, agreed, especially with the last paragraph. Can't wait to see what they have in store for the future!

Fantastic game, make sure you pick up the Old Blood as well

Yup definitely, by the looks of it I should. Hopefully I will be able to do so in the coming weeks when I get around to finding spare time to play lol.

Heimbeck

Banned
Overall, it's a 9.5/10 in my book. Severely underrated dare I say? I mean a 79 on Metacritic? Get outta here!

But yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed it. On that note, would you guys recommend the DLC? I don't have time to play games right now (haven't gamed in weeks) due to being busy with studies, but when the time comes, how well does the standalone DLC compare to the main game?

Totally agree with the first part, was absolutely the best game on PS4 or XBOX that year but all the critics seemed to overlook it.

I would say the DLC is not as good as the main game, it was much harder due to more enemies to take down however this did not make it more fun.
Also there is a new enemy type introduced that seemed kind of lame, I would still recommend going through it though.

Totally agree with the first part, was absolutely the best game on PS4 or XBOX that year but all the critics seemed to overlook it.

I would say the DLC is not as good as the main game, it was much harder due to more enemies to take down however this did not make it more fun.
Also there is a new enemy type introduced that seemed kind of lame, I would still recommend going through it though.

Ah I see, that seems to be the general consensus regarding the DLC vs the main game. But yeah, I will hopefully check it out when I get around to finding the time. Thanks for the recommendation.

Yep, I absolutely put it in the top tier of action FPS games.

I've played so many over the years and this one knocked my socks off.

Still confuses me how it received the reasonably mixed reception that it did, but man it's good to see that people are still discovering it and talking about it.

Salsa

I honestly don't think it effects it much. I tried using the SSD for storing textures, but it made the game even worse. There was some weird instances where I was getting audio cutouts and micro stutters unless I restarted. I'm convinced the game didn't load properly because it never happen again. Games a total vram hog that's for sure.

interesting

im on a 2gig 680. hopefully itll deal

I like reading LTTP's for TNO, and I've only been hearing good things. I myself enjoyed it immensely even though I've never been into Wolfenstein before. Now however, I'm acing for the next installment and really hope that MachineGames are the ones developing it.

Couldn't agree more, OP. The music was top notch too.

Yup, forgot to mention that, the music was great too and matched the ambiance of each setting and level.

Still confuses me how it received the reasonably mixed reception that it did, but man it's good to see that people are still discovering it and talking about it.

Yup, that is the part that irks me the most; the reception it received at launch. But yeah, happy to see people discovering it soon after launch, and appreciate how much of a great game it was.

I like reading LTTP's for TNO, and I've only been hearing good things. I myself enjoyed it immensely even though I've never been into Wolfenstein before. Now however, I'm acing for the next installment and really hope that MachineGames are the ones developing it.

Haha, that's convenient for you then, and I enjoyed making this LTTP. Would have done it like 1 month ago when I completed it (or was it 2?) but I was still a Junior. And yep, I'm anticipating the next installment and hope MG are creating it.

Kill3r7

Agreed, by far the best single player FPS game I've played in years. I think the mixed reviews can be attributed to the media perceiving the game as lacking modern gameplay and not innovating. Everything after Titanfall was about revolutionizing the genre. If viewed in that light, the game is not innovative but damn it is fun... tons of fun.

wolfenstein-guide-dual-wield-guns-1500x844.jpg

Loved the game. My only gripe is that the controls feel a bit twitchy on the ps4; like it feels that its too sensitive to run and gun effectively at default.

chixdiggit

Fucking amazing game. Hot damn.

How was the DLC?

I don't think there was any. Just "The Old Blood" but that's a stand alone campaign.

But in case you were wondering about that.... it's fantastic. I was expecting more of the same but was very surprised at how fresh they made the game play.

jb1234

I very much enjoyed it until the end, where the bullet sponge enemies pissed me off so much that I lowered the difficulty.

The Old Blood is for the most part more of the same so if you want more New Order, pick it up. I was a little underwhelmed by it (much less story, for one) but it wasn't a terrible way to spend five hours.

bathsalts

Solid B+ shooter, I think its wildly over rated around here however, someone comparing it to Crysis? come on, maybe Crysis 2. might have to do with the drought of fps's that weren't CoD-esque in recent years. It's still a solid game and very enjoyable but the weapon set is weak, the gunplay is tight but ultimately limited and the encounter design is lacking. Everything else is exceptional though, great story in a Wolfenstein game of all things lol, music is excellent, visuals are a mixed bag but nice. The 7.9 meta critic score feels about right to me, also give the Metro series a try if you really like this one, its very similar in structure.

Solid B+ shooter, I think its wildly over rated around here however, someone comparing it to Crysis? come on, maybe Crysis 2. might have to do with the drought of fps's that weren't CoD-esque in recent years. It's still a solid game and very enjoyable but the weapon set is weak, the gunplay is tight but ultimately limited and the encounter design is lacking. Everything else is exceptional though, great story in a Wolfenstein game of all things lol, music is excellent, visuals are a mixed bag but nice. The 7.9 meta critic score feels about right to me, also give the Metro series a try if you really like this one, its very similar in structure.

Yeah, I've got Metro Last Light downloaded on my PS3 from PS+ last year lol, but I'm probably going to end up getting the Redux version next summer to add to my ever growing backlog. It's definitely up there on games I need to get.

Great first thread. And the DLC is amazing. Really.

Haha, thanks. And yeah, that's reassuring. And the more WFS, the better. The DLC is something that I'll be getting for sure.

Really great game, my GOTY last year
because I don't own a Wii U to play Bayo 2

Yup, probably my GOTY of last year too, granted I'm still yet to play other 2014 games. But so far, it is my GOTY.

xrnzaaas

I loved it, probably the best FPP shooter I've played on PS4. Platinuming this game was a pleasure.

Unfortunately The Old Blood wasn't nearly half as good. I didn't like some of the levels and what happened in the second part of the campaign.

I loved it, probably the best FPP shooter I've played on PS4. Platinuming this game was a pleasure.

Unfortunately The Old Blood wasn't nearly half as good. I didn't like some of the levels and what happened in the second part of the campaign.

Yup exactly, it's up there with my top FPS games on the PS4 regarding sheer fun and great gunplay with the likes of Battlefield 4 and Destiny IMO. And getting the platinum was definitely a joy like you said!

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Best fps i ve played since Crysis 1, my only problem with the game was its graphics. Why are they still using id tech5? I thought magnus hogdahl was still there.

Game is fantastic

Only complaints are the usual quiet audio mixing ones.

Gunplay is basically perfect, story is far more engaging than it has any right to be as are the characters

Great game, my only complaint was the difficulty was off sometimes. The bridge level is painful.
Also some ammo management issues I felt

Oh, and too little change for each "branch" of the story. It only changes one or two marginal things

gabbo

Easily the most well-designed FPS I've played in a long time. While it's occasionally a little over the top (as far as Nazi-slaughtering FPS go anyway), the story was excellent and really drew me in and kept me engaged the entire time - though I'm unhappy that is basically makes Commander Keen impossible - unless there's a different ending I didn't see.

The Old Blood had the gunplay but didn't follow it up with encounter or story design on the same level sadly.

Dahaka

should have had autocollect. I hated having to collect every single item manually. A shard of that, a piece of that helmet, that armor, that ammo, that weapon etc.

Alpende

Really enjoyed it. Playing on the easier/medium levels, dual wielding shotguns and sliding around killing enemies left and right feels great.

I loved the different environments. Going to the moon? Why not!

Elsolar

You can set the game to create a 1 GB cache on your SSD, although I think you have to turn it on manually. With that I didn't notice too much of a difference in performance between having it installed on an HDD vs SSD. Just longer load times.

Top Bottom