• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Wolfenstein The New Order

dedhead54

One of the best feeling FPS I have ever played. On top of that I enjoyed the story and it was just a pleasure to play through. I need to give it another playthrough soon.

The New Order is incredible, but I couldn't be bothered to finish the Old Blood. It was such a step down. Wish they had just made a proper sequel.

thenexus6

I enjoyed TNO more than TOB but they are both fantastic. I mostly played them stealth.

Throwing knives + silenced pistol are amazing. Probably some of the most satisfying weapons i've used in a game for ages.

Justinh

Absolutely loved this game. Played through it on PC last year and just bought it again while the bundle was on sale for Xbox One.

Still a little salty that Far Cry 4 took FPS of the Year over this.

epmode

The New Order is incredible, but I couldn't be bothered to finish the Old Blood. It was such a step down. Wish they had just made a proper sequel.

Aren't we getting one? I'm pretty sure I heard that a proper sequel is in development.

I really liked The Old Blood but it didn't quite stack up to the original.

I have The Old Blood in my backlog and can't wait to play it...but I have SO MANY freakin' games taking up my time.

LOVED The New Order.

D23

Got this game for $8 from psn flash sale. Worth every penny.... Only 4 chapter in and I'm enjoying every second of it

The New Order wa my first Wolfenstein game as well. It brought the classic FPS into the mainstream seamlessly. Ultimately I felt that it succeeded in doing what Duke Nukem Forever failed to accomplish.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
The New Order wa my first Wolfenstein game as well. It brought the classic FPS into the mainstream seamlessly. Ultimately I felt that it succeeded in doing what Duke Nukem Forever failed to accomplish.

If Machine Games did a Duke Nukem game, I could die at least somewhat content. It'd have to be a lot different than The New Order to capture certain essences of Duke Nukem's gameplay, but I trust MG to understand how to handle the franchise and make it into something relevant again.

But if they want to stick to Wolfenstein, that's fine too.

lazygecko

This is my first time playing an idtech5 game. And I'm really noticing the texture pop-in problem people would so often complain about in Rage. Happens all the time when I'm turning the camera around even with the settings maxed. What's extra annoying about this is since I have the interactable items highlight enabled in the options (you pretty much have to, since this has the typical modern design problem of not making items look innately distinguished from the environment), any objects popping in around the edges sort of look like they're highlighted, so I constantly feel like there's pickups I just missed even though there aren't any.

antitrop

Absolutely loved this game. Played through it on PC last year and just bought it again while the bundle was on sale for Xbox One.

Still a little salty that Far Cry 4 took FPS of the Year over this.
I liked Far Cry 4 a lot, but it getting recognized over Wolfenstein so much was an absolute fucking shame.

Wolfenstein was wildly under appreciated by the gaming media, but it absolutely gets its due from the rest of the gaming community, which has made me very happy to see.

epmode

this game is over rated, the old blood is soooo much better

The Old Blood is excellent but I miss the more ponounced story of the original game. And dropping those great in-engine cutscenes is a big loss.

Incidentally, I occasionally run into a bug with The Old Blood where its cutscenes turn my screen 100% green until the cutscene ends. Pretty sure it's some kind of a codec problem but it never happens with the original.

One of the few games I've bothered getting all achievements for. A classic. The old blood is amazing too. Really don't understand how someone could love TNO and say TOB is disappointing. Aside from the lame end boss (something both games have) old blood was wall to wall badass.

nullref

I really enjoyed it. On a game design level it's pretty straightforward FPS stuff, but it's really elevated by strong execution. Nice production values, and a surprisingly good story.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
How big is the file size for The Old Blood on PS4? It's at a nice price digitally, but I don't want a honkin' big download every time I want to put it back on my system.

Definitely some of the most fun I've had with an FPS recently especially when I played stealthy and I might check out The Old Blood sometime in the future as well

Anung

Un Rama
One of the few games I've bothered getting all achievements for. A classic. The old blood is amazing too. Really don't understand how someone could love TNO and say TOB is disappointing. Aside from the lame end boss (something both games have) old blood was wall to wall badass.

Same. I got the platinum for both TNO and TOB. I bought Wolfenstein out of fan loyalty and I never anticipated that I'd be playing the 2014 GOTY. It somehow meshed old school and new design philosophies perfectly with nice open level designs, secrets, decent stealth mechanics and bad ass gory combat. Plus an actual amazing story that somehow balances grind-house camp and low-key (for videogames) moments.

The DLC is great as well. Not as big as the main game (obv) but it encapsulates what made the main game good into its small run time.

I can't wait to see what Machine Games do next. the FPS genre has been all of the place lately so its nice to have a team that gets it.

This was my GoTY in 2014 and easily in my top 5 shooters. The way they mixed old and new gameplay aspects, the rock solid, incredibly satisfying shooting mechanics, and the story were perfect. The game also has the single best lean function i've ever seen.

The game's story really hit all the right notes for me, it had the tone of a Quentin Tarantino film, mixed with a surprisingly emotional core. They made B.J. into an actual human, with opinions and feelings, instead of the floating gun he basically was in past games.

I gotta say, (shamelessly may I add!) that I'm pleased to see my first thread about this game get bumped; the more exposure, the better just because we need as many people to experience one of the finest crafted FPS games ever made.

I mean it certainly was for me (as you can tell by the OP), ending up being my GOTY of 2014. On a side note too, the trophies were really well done and it was a joy to get the platinum trophy, so if anyone is into that, I'd say go for the platinum.

Cannot wait for the sequel if the recent rumour is anything to go off by!

lazygecko

Can anyone tell me what this kind of... dithered gloss lighting is? Is this some kind of bug or is it actually supposed to look that way? It's uncanny as hell and I'd prefer to disable it somehow. It actually looks worse ingame, since the jpeg compression smudges it out a bit.

2015-11-29_00001o0pw6.jpg

danmaku

Well, thanks to this thread I went back to my old save and finished the game (I was at the last chapter). What a great ending!

lazygecko

Anyone else think the robot animations in the final mission felt kind of stop motion like? Some kind of ED-209 tribute perhaps?

Dio

Banned
God damn, the
robot with your friends brain
punched me so hard that it did the thing where I
lost all my weapons
, but the game also crashed and my save file got corrupted. I have to start the entire level over, but at least the save system is two-step so I don't have to start from the god damned beginning.

I sure got owned.

I have been tempted a few times recently to pick this up and play it but there have been way to many games as of late that I have not yet gotten around to it. How long of a game is the story mode?

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
picked it up on steam sale, played for like an hour and i was very disappointed. asked for a refund back.

I highly doubt you even finished the first section and got to the hospital. Did you? If not, then you just cheated yourself because it gets exponentially better after the first section when you're trying to infiltrate the Nazi fortress.

Picked it up and started playing yesterday. Definitely a throwback to the old FPS games. Return to Castle Wolfenstein was one of my favorites. Reminded me what I used to like about them. No tactical brilliance required. Just mindless shooting.

However, it also reminded me how long it has been since I played any FPS. For sometime I almost thought I would get motion sickness. I think I recovered quickly enough.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Played and completed The Old Blood this past summer. Solid 7/10. Would have been an 8/10 but part 2 disappointed me compared to part 1.

As for The New Order, I purchased it online from Best Buy this past Thursday for $12 after GCU. Been waiting for it to hit $20 or less for a long time. Should get it Wednesday or Thursday and will most likely start the game Saturday after PSX.

Have read a lot of good to great things about the game here so im looking forward to playing it.

BHK3

Banned
Hate the weapon wheel and am enjoying the old blood a whole lot more. Bullet sponge enemies aren't as bullet sponge and the music/sfx being 10x louder than voices was fixed because they added a voice volume slider. Really wish TNO had that. I liked the effort put into the story but basically found all the characters to be really weak.

Kinda wish they hadn't put so many 'nightmares' into TOB either, I found myself playing those longer than it seemed like for some of the chapters since I comb everything over.

alexein

You made me finish the old blood, i was at the first chapter.
now i have NO et OB platinumed, i hope to hear about the new game soon.

Sooo... what you're saying is since I like old school fps games and its $9 on PSN and I missed out on it... that I should purchase said game for $9?

Shit. I thought this was a new thread.

Top Bottom