• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Wolfenstein The New Order

It really is a great game. I'm going through the Old Blood now. I just beat the first chapter. It seems like more of the same, but considering I could have easily played another five hours of TNO I don't think that's really a bad thing.

BumRush

Congrats on member status, OP...with thoughtful threads like this I look forward to reading your posts.

On topic...I played TNO earlier in the year - after getting sick of FPSs last gen - and I'm so glad I did. Tight controls, good pacing and a well-written story made it an extremely enjoyable experience. I picked up the sequel/dlc/standalone for $6 last week and can't wait to play it.

Is it worth doing the alternate timeline, are there significant changes?

It changes some dialogue, the health/armor related collectibles are different, and each timeline has an additional character that is unique to it,
Tekla in the Fergus timeline, and J in the Wyatt timeline
, i'd say it's worth replaying to meet them, because they are two of the best secondary characters in the game. It's also especially worth it if you want to go through the game again anyways.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Is it worth doing the alternate timeline, are there significant changes?

Nothing significant, just a few different/altered scenes. Dialogue is of course different where applicable, and you get a different side character at the base, but all gameplay scenarios and whatnot remain the same. Well, I guess the collectible upgrades (armor vs health) are different, but I wouldn't call that significant.

The scenes mirror each other too. Wyatt is mad that you chose to let Fergus die, leaving the brunt of the resistance to someone young and inexperienced. Fergus is mad that you let Wyatt die, leaving the brunt of the resistance to someone old and tiring. Both side characters play similarly minor roles.

But If you want an excuse to play through the game again, it's as good as any.

Khort

My sleeper of the year, got it for 20$during a sale and got caught by surprise! I was expecting a brainless Wolfenstein shooter, when it was in fact a cool polished shooter with an interesting story! I also picked the dlc/standalone but haven't tried yet, I read it wasn't as good as TNO.

BumRush

My sleeper of the year, got it for 20$during a sale and got caught by surprise! I was expecting a brainless Wolfenstein shooter, when it was in fact a cool polished shooter with an interesting story! I also picked the dlc/standalone but haven't tried yet, I read it wasn't as good as TNO.

There was a thread last week where people were saying it's slightly worse than TNO, but a return to the castle vibe...which should be cool.

I'd say it was just as good, like a more condensed version of the main game that leads into the beginning of it.

dcx4610

Old Blood ruins everything that made New Order great. Completely worthless and hurts the original experience. Avoid it like the plague.

MadYarpen

Am I correct to assume this is the shooter I should get for PS4 if I play only single player games?

I like my games to have good story and last longer than couple of hours.

I haven't played any shooter since I got PS4, and it looks like there isn't much to choose from...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Am I correct to assume this is the shooter I should get for PS4 if I play only single player games?

I haven't played any shooter since I got PS4, and it looks like there isn't much to choose from...

Yes.

T.E.D

Banned
I thought the game was decent - not amazing, but okay. It's worth a playthrough but I wouldn't put it into any special category.

BumRush

Yes, it's enjoyable and should last you 10-14 hours depending on your playstyle.

Care to explain? I'm about to jump in.
Wouldn't say it ruins The New Order, but compared to it The Old Blood is substantially less enjoyable.

It's mostly the second half of TOB's campaign that takes a nosedive in quality as soon as it introduces a new enemy type, with enemy encounters as well as level design suffering from it quite significantly. The 'ideal' weapon of dispatching 'em is also entirely cumbersome to wield, to make matters worse. Never been a fan of (story spoiler)
the type of occult twist that was also present in prior Wolfensteins
which goes hand-in-hand with the above, but your mileage may vary. Still looks pretty though.

Linkhero1

Loved it too. Story was pretty decent and gameplay was perfect imo. The boss fights were so good, especially the final boss fight. I picked up The Old Blood for $10 this past Black Friday and I'm definitely looking forward to playing it.

Edit: Just read the above posts...darn.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Yeah, other than maybe Borderlands Handsome collection, it doesn't get any better than that for PS4 shooters.

I enjoyed this game a lot! A coworker loaned me it last summer and I wasn't really sure what to expect but figured I would try it out. It hooked me pretty quickly and reminded me a lot of old shooters I used to play as a kid (Wolfenstein 3D, doom, quake etc). The gameplay was really good and it was pretty refreshing not having a super complex in depth campaign.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Old Blood's first chapter or two are weak and give a poor first impression, and it's stylistically more of a homage to occult Wolfenstein despite also being a prequel to New Order (and thus introduces some goofy shit), but the notion it retroactively ruins New Order is ludicrous. And once you muscle through the slow start it's a ton of fun with some memorable setpieces and strong characters.

Speaking of, and I've said this before, New Order/Old Blood highlight how talented the writing team at Machine Games is in regards to characterisations. Despite often saying very little, and being dressed in pulpy violent concepts, almost if not the entire cast of both games is distinct and extremely well characterised with a surprisingly authentic humanity. Much of the dialogue is written and performed very naturally, and I think it's incredible that Machine Games managed to forge these individuals from a game that is otherwise all about killing retro future Nazis (sometimes on the moon).

It's got that Tarantino quality wherein the characters are larger than life and the backdrop pulpy violence, yet the dialogue, performances, and characterisations are very strong.

I have my copy of this coming in the mail tomorrow. I'm expecting fast paced id shooter action - with modernized mechanics. Is that what this is? I've wanted it since it came out and excited to have the four disc Xbox 360 edition :p

Unit24

Loved it too. Story was pretty decent and gameplay was perfect imo. The boss fights were so good, especially the final boss fight. I picked up The Old Blood for $10 this past Black Friday and I'm definitely looking forward to playing it.

Edit: Just read the above posts...darn.

No, The Old Blood is actually really, really good. I think it's actually a much tighter experience than The New Order.

ArjanN

Old Blood's first chapter or two are weak and give a poor first impression, and it's stylistically more of a homage to occult Wolfenstein despite also being a prequel to New Order (and thus introduces some goofy shit), but the notion it retroactively ruins New Order is ludicrous. And once you muscle through the slow start it's a ton of fun with some memorable setpieces and strong characters.

Speaking of, and I've said this before, New Order/Old Blood highlight how talented the writing team at Machine Games is in regards to characterisations. Despite often saying very little, and being dressed in pulpy violent concepts, almost if not the entire cast of both games is distinct and extremely well characterised with a surprisingly authentic humanity. Much of the dialogue is written and performed very naturally, and I think it's incredible that Machine Games managed to forge these individuals from a game that is otherwise all about killing retro future Nazis (sometimes on the moon).

It's got that Tarantino quality wherein the characters are larger than life and the backdrop pulpy violence, yet the dialogue, performances, and characterisations are very strong.

Yeah, you can clearly see The Chronicles of Riddick / The Darkness lineage there.

No, The Old Blood is actually really, really good. I think it's actually a much tighter experience than The New Order.

Eh, there's a bit more focus on arena fights and a slightly less character moments. Not sure I'd really call it tighter overall.

IMO I'd say its more like:
New Order = Escape from Butcher Bay
Old Blood = Assault on Dark Athena

Great post EC.

I can only agree. THe added internal monologue and first person conversation from BJ's side in TOB is also god damn hilarious. "Ja... ein Hotdog"

Wow, completely agree, particularly the bolded part. The more I read your post, the more it pretty much echoes what I attempted to express succinctly in the OP, particularly as I just finished watching Inglorious Basterds the other week
(shameless plug :p).

Unit24

Yeah, you can clearly see The Chronicles of Riddick / The Darkness lineage there.

Eh, there's a bit more focus on arena fights and a slightly less character moments. Not sure I'd really call it tighter overall.

IMO I'd say its more like:
New Order = Escape from Butcher Bay
Old Blood = Assault on Dark Athena

I mean it's tighter in terms of gameplay. There are more sections where you can choose whether to be loud or stealthy, which was one of the main selling points of the original game. I also think it has better pacing, which is helped by the game being shorter.

gameplay was too archaic for me

Archaic? Compared to which FPS exactly? It has great gunplay, good ai, a decent amount of destructible scenery, and a bit of novel stuff like laser cutting. I just don't see it.

Also, for all of the heat that id Tech 5 gets it's actually used very well in this game. Machine Games really went to town with being able to paint detail all over the place. I think the attention to detail really adds a lot to the game (more than a few low res textures detracts)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Archaic? Compared to which FPS exactly? It has great gunplay, good ai, a decent amount of destructible scenery, and a bit of novel stuff like laser cutting. I just don't see it.
No regenerating health, no AI companions to revive me, no cover mechanic, WTF is this, in a 2014 game?
/s

Also, for all of the heat that id Tech 5 gets it's actually used very well in this game. Machine Games really went to town with being able to paint detail all over the place. I think the attention to detail really adds a lot to the game (more than a few low res textures detracts)

The fact that it runs at 60fps on consoles it a big plus as well.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Picked u the double pack digital on Xbox One last week for only $28AU. $14 per game was too good to pass up.

Only just started really and I hear the first hour or so is a bit meh but then it really opens up.

Binabik15

No regenerating health, no AI companions to revive me, no cover mechanic, WTF is this, in a 2014 game?
/s

But there are cover mechanics. You even need them to unlock "perks". Le ts not pretend it isn't a blend of old and new.

No autoickup is needed for atactical approach to overcharging health, so I like it. They could add a way to pick up everything around you, e.g.holding down square, though, then earting a table clean doesn't annoy some people.

I started the game on Death Incarnate yesterday and it's a blast so far. Not the SMG though. Weak, lame SM. I hope the sixties version is actually fun.

Kas

It was probably the best shooting I've played in a game, and its so buttery smooth. There's nothing like it out there.

Just finished the game moments ago. Played both TNO and TOB. Agree with the majority here that it's hands down one of the best single player experience (FPS-wise) since HL2.

This alternate universe they've created is sublime, really authentic and immersive... especially after having seen The Man in the High Castle a few weeks ago.

Also finished Far Cry 4 recently; was a good game but disappointed to hear that it earned FPS GOTY honors over TNO.

Top Bottom