• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Wolfenstein The New Order

Really enjoyed it. Playing on the easier/medium levels, dual wielding shotguns and sliding around killing enemies left and right feels great.

I loved the different environments. Going to the moon? Why not!

Mhm. Loved the moon level (and that quote!); it really did have a nice variety of locations.

Easily the most well-designed FPS I've played in a long time. While it's occasionally a little over the top (as far as Nazi-slaughtering FPS go anyway), the story was excellent and really drew me in and kept me engaged the entire time - though I'm unhappy that is basically makes Commander Keen impossible - unless there's a different ending I didn't see.

The Old Blood had the gunplay but didn't follow it up with encounter or story design on the same level sadly.

Yup, a really well designed game. Spot on.

Game is fantastic

Only complaints are the usual quiet audio mixing ones.

Gunplay is basically perfect, story is far more engaging than it has any right to be as are the characters

Exactly this. As an FPS game, it had no right to have such great characters/writing/story and yet it did. Was my biggest surprise with the game. Particularly the writing, it was damn great.

dLMN8R

I loved this game up until the final boss, which was the epitome of absolutely terrible boss design.

I'm not talking about the outdoor area where it's more of a puzzle in how to figure out how to beat him, I'm talking about the second phase where you fall through the floor / underground and need to just shoot him to death.

It was just so absurdly poorly balanced and conceived.

• I played on one of the higher difficulties throughout the entire game and while I died a bunch, it was always an enjoyable challenge.
  • Then I got to the final boss fight at the same difficulty and died ~30 times without any luck
  • I lowered the difficulty by one notch out of pure frustration, and it was so much insanely easier that I effortlessly beat it on my first try

How the hell does this still happen today in game design today???

nakedeyes

Banned
I also just played through this game for the first time about 3 weeks ago. It was a GREAT game. Really enjoyed it.

Your talk of the quick platinum has me thinking I should go back and snag it myself.

pastrami

I have a question about The Old Blood. How much stealth is there? I bought the game on sale to fulfill a mindless shooter itch and the beginning stealth section is a real mood killer. I just want to shoot people.

I just escaped from my cell and I'm at a part where I have to deactivate some generators to take out the power suits. Does this go on for long? Is this the only stealth section?

Omega

Banned
game was great and I think SP FPS is garbage.

I have a question about The Old Blood. How much stealth is there? I bought the game on sale to fulfill a mindless shooter itch and the beginning stealth section is a real mood killer. I just want to shoot people.

I just escaped from my cell and I'm at a part where I have to deactivate some generators to take out the power suits. Does this go on for long? Is this the only stealth section?
There's a lot of stealth, or at least it's the path that looks the most obvious so that's what I did.

I also just played through this game for the first time about 3 weeks ago. It was a GREAT game. Really enjoyed it.

Your talk of the quick platinum has me thinking I should go back and snag it myself.

Yup, it's an easy platinum, and if you ever need help, check out the official PS4 Trophy Guide and Roadmap forum for more information and tips and tricks here.

They've also got a very helpful and extensive collectible guide. I always use them whenever I'm going for a platinum.

Fantastic fun game. Best shooter of this generation.

Story felt a little limp at times, but I really liked the characters.

Yup, I can definitely agree with that; it is the best shooter of this generation so far!

I loved this game up until the final boss, which was the epitome of absolutely terrible boss design.

I'm not talking about the outdoor area where it's more of a puzzle in how to figure out how to beat him, I'm talking about the second phase where you fall through the floor / underground and need to just shoot him to death.

• I played on one of the higher difficulties throughout the entire game and while I died a bunch, it was always an enjoyable challenge.
  • Then I got to the final boss fight at the same difficulty and died ~30 times without any luck
  • I lowered the difficulty by one notch out of pure frustration, and it was so much insanely easier that I effortlessly beat it on my first try

Hmmm, to be honest, I played on UBER difficulty (the hardest one) and just gave everything I had at him; the shotguns and launchers were helpful, as well as the grenades which you should pick up before you go down the hole. That's literally what I did; before that section, I scanned the whole area, every nook and cranny to every crate, I got everything that I could so I can throw it at him in the area underground. Even if I died, I'd do the same thing again so that I came prepared. Hope that gives you some perspective of what I did. But I still get what you mean!

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I'm still finish it, but yeah, it's an amazing game. Very old school.
My only complaint its about the engine. Runs great but looks like shit sometimes.
Game would be even more amazing with an engine like Fox, UE4 or 4A engine.

gabbo

That part is easier if you try to stealth your way out, but you can shoot your way out of it too. That section ins't that long by comparison to the rest of the game, it might feel rather long though because it wants you to try and sneak around and that eats time.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Fun little shooter. A few frustrating moments, like when you
come down from the Moon and crash into that building and are pinned there with crappy guns
. Restarted this 20+ times for sure (playing on Hard, not even Uber 'cause I suck at FPS). Last boss was rather frustrating too. And yeah too many scripted moments, the more open levels were by far the best.

Stealth sections were misguided though. It's a shooter dammit, not a stealth game. Fortunately they were pretty much optional, but I hear the DLC has more of that and more mandatory... that's no good.

Whatever happened to
Frau Engel?
Does the DLC resolve that? (Just say yes or no, not what happens, if you know ^^)

Yea I have to agree, great game and aside from good gameplay what's so refreshing is that the story and script holds up so well.
When everybody is praising tlou for its story treatment the new order is where its at in that departement imo. Quality stuff with lots of heart & personality.
Weakest part for me was the beginning unfortunately but it kept on getting better from there.

Best fps in the last few years imo.
I still need to end the fight with that fucking final boss (on Uber)...

Just gonna copy and paste; hope it helps (if it doesn't, you can always search YouTube for strategies), but like I said above:

I played on UBER difficulty (the hardest one) and just threw everything that I had at him; the shotguns and AR grande launchers were really helpful, as well as the grenades which you should pick up before you go down the hole. That's literally what I did; before that section, I always scanned the whole area for armour/ammo/weapons/grenades. Trust me, just search every nook and cranny including every crate. That way, you get everything you can and then just go all out on him in the area underground. Even if I died, I'd do the same thing again so that I always came prepared. Hope that gives you some perspective of what I did.

Whatever happened to
Frau Engel?
Does the DLC resolve that? (Just say yes or no, not what happens, if you know ^^)

From what I heard, the DLC is a prequel and so won't make any difference. If I'm entirely honest, it's probably done like that so it sets it up for the sequel. That's my bet.

I'm still finish it, but yeah, it's an amazing game. Very old school.
My only complaint its about the engine. Runs great but looks like shit sometimes.
Game would be even more amazing with an engine like Fox, UE4 or 4A engine.

Now THAT would me amazing. But tbf, there were times were it didn't look too shabby; for me I only found a few rough textures here and there. What stood out to me the most tbh was the locked 60fps and how smooth it was.

antitrop

"Death at the gates again. Howling my name. CanÂ’t greet you today. Got a war to win."

Best FPS campaign of this generation, so far.

"Death at the gates again. Howling my name. CanÂ’t greet you today. Got a war to win."

Best FPS campaign of this generation, so far.

Yup - definitely best FPS campaign. And man, that was another amazing quote. Definitely one of my favourites too. Hell, I'm gonna edit it in the OP; can't believe I forgot that.

A VERY well written game. Especially for an FPS.

Just gonna copy and paste; hope it helps (if it doesn't, you can always search YouTube for strategies), but like I said above:

was.
Thanx. I did that. I think i've been really close at least 4 times. But i kept dying and i didn't want to collect all that stuff anymore before you go down the hole. But i'll try againand i WILL beat this fucker.

antitrop

I thought the way this game did collectables was extraordinarily well done. All the newspaper clippings really opened up a fascinating look into this game's alternate history, they really put a lot of effort into making them worth reading. Some are hilarious, some are sad, but at least they make you feel something.

dosh

Yup, nothing but praise: great gameplay, great graphics, a lot of fun. And this:

But I guess my biggest surprise was the writing and story. As an FPS game, I was pleasantly surprised to see it have great voice acting and writing with a story that draws you in until the end. Particularly the main character, some of the lines he says occasionally are said really well. I was very impressed.

That also really took me by surprise. Some lines could have been super cheesy, but the delivery was great.
The VA for B.J. did a fantastic job with "And they grieve their dead. Such raw sorrow. Can't partake. Mine would flood oceans." That could have sounded so bad, and yet it's so good.

The cutscenes were also fantastic in terms of framing and editing.

I thought the way this game did collectables was extraordinarily well done. All the newspaper clippings really opened up a fascinating look into this game's alternate history, they really put a lot of effort into making them worth reading. Some are hilarious, some are sad, but at least they make you feel something.
And that too. The clippings and various notes certainly contibruted to my enjoyment a lot.

TheStig88

Hear hear OP, what a gem of a game this is. One of the very few single player FPS games I can say pulled me in and didn't let go. Gunplay was crisp and tight and the story and writing was absolutely ace, no question about that. Fell in love with everything about this game.

I was very surprised by this game, especially the story. It was actually really good, which is unlike most FPS games these days.

antitrop

A VERY well written game. Especially for an FPS.
Not too surprising, coming from many of the same developers as The Darkness.

BJ and Anya don't quite get to the level of Jenny and Jackie, but well above average for an FPS.

Anyone who enjoyed Wolfenstein: TNO and hasn't played The Darkness has a real diamond in the rough waiting for them, if their last-gen consoles are still plugged in. The New Order satiated my need for a Darkness sequel that The Darkness 2 wasn't even close to.

I'm glad MachineGames exists to carry on the Starbreeze legacy.

KingGondo

Banned
The story is shockingly competent too.

They turned Blazkowicz from a one-dimensional killing machine into a fully-realized character I actually cared about.

They also avoided the temptation to make the game grimdark.

vocab

The whole sound design is just really well done. A lot of tension, and mystery. Had some Half Life moments in there as well.

Great game, great expansion.

Gunplay is super solid, surprisingly well made story and characters, the levels had good variety to them. Excited to see a lot more from Machine Games.

This game, man. I've been telling my friends that it's the best shooter since way back, and I keep hearing the same sentiment on this forum. But they just think it's a generic, over the top shootbang since it's 'Wolfenstein' and wont give it a shot. It saddens me :(

EBE

its a solid 6 or 7 out of 10.

bad:

forced stealth
thought a lot of levels sucked (including the prison camp and underwater sewers)
characters that go nowhere (late night talk with the crazy lady was hella philosophical though, right? too bad she's a non-character that is entirely irrelevant to the overall plot)
weird audio mix (most noticeable in the mech suit segment)
boring selection of enemies with poor AI
weak final boss

good:
nice cutscenes
voice acting
novel setting (if underdeveloped and underplayed)
shooting was fun at times

Yup, nothing but praise: great gameplay, great graphics, a lot of fun. And this:

That also really took me by surprise. Some lines could have been super cheesy, but the delivery was great.
The VA for B.J. did a fantastic job with "And they grieve their dead. Such raw sorrow. Can't partake. Mine would flood oceans." That could have sounded so bad, and yet it's so good.

The cutscenes were also fantastic in terms of framing and editing.

Perfectly summed up. And another fantastic quote!

Hear hear OP, what a gem of a game this is. One of the very few single player FPS games I can say pulled me in and didn't let go. Gunplay was crisp and tight and the story and writing was absolutely ace, no question about that. Fell in love with everything about this game.

Pretty much this. Well said.

This really makes me wanna play the game.

Do it; you won't regret it one bit
Unless you have a bad taste for games :p

The story is shockingly competent too.

They turned Blazkowicz from a one-dimensional killing machine into a fully-realized character I actually cared about.

They also avoided the temptation to make the game grimdark.

Exactly this.

Damn fine game!

MachineGames went hard in the paint tho, damn.

Yup, a very well visually polished experience.

The whole sound design is just really well done. A lot of tension, and mystery. Had some Half Life moments in there as well.

That was another highlight, well said.

Great game, great expansion.

Gunplay is super solid, surprisingly well made story and characters, the levels had good variety to them. Excited to see a lot more from Machine Games.

Agreed on every single point there. Exactly why I fell in love in the first place. Again, well said.

Best FPS Single Player game this gen, so far at least.

Yuppp.

This game, man. I've been telling my friends that it's the best shooter since way back, and I keep hearing the same sentiment on this forum. But they just think it's a generic, over the top shootbang since it's 'Wolfenstein' and wont give it a shot. It saddens me :(

They shouldn't be your friends anymore :p

You may be happy to hear that this LTTP gave me the nudge I needed, and I finally picked up a copy of The New Order tonight.

Woooooohhh!! Thanks a lot; I actually feel I've contributed something to GAF. Kudos to you my friend!! :)

bad:

forced stealth
thought a lot of levels sucked (including the prison camp and underwater sewers)
characters that go nowhere (late night talk with the crazy lady was hella philosophical though, right? too bad she's a non-character that is entirely irrelevant to the overall plot)
weak final boss

good:
nice cutscenes
voice acting

• Gotta disagree there; a lot of the aspects of stealth I enjoyed, as that was my main style (so that's mostly subjective I guess). But I don't remember *all* of it being forced, maybe only a couple of sections.
  • I thought the levels rocked, there wasn't really a level that stuck out to me as being poorly designed. I thought they well well thought out with intricate systems and links.
  • Yeah, I can see what you mean with boring selection of enemies, there could have been a wider variety, but it was still fun nevertheless and it didn't really affect me experience that much. Also, AI I never really had a problem with, granted, it was pretty simple.
  • And regarding the last boss, I never really had much issues, only that I did search up on YouTube how to do the first part. But the rest was easy for me, even on UBER.

Again, not a perfect game, but I guess the issues you mention never really stuck out to me, and even if they did, I guess they never effected my experience as much as yours. Thanks for sharing though, contrasting opinions are always welcome! :)

I was really disappointed in this one and didn't even end up finishing it. There was just too much time spent trying to develop characters I never ended up caring about, dicking around that home base place, and doing other shit. I felt like I was shooting nazis maybe 35% of the time.

The developer has a great pedigree, but this one just didn't do it for me.

I really liked the game up until arriving at the home base. From there on the plot and my interest in it went straight downhill. Still a pretty good fps overall.

bad:

forced stealth
weak final boss

good:
nice cutscenes
voice acting

I didn't ever feel forced to stealth. Are you talking about the DLC? Because the perks in TNO even rewarded head on, over the top dual wielding shoot outs. I really liked the 'approach as you will' gameplay.

EBE

I didn't ever feel forced to stealth. Are you talking about the DLC? Because the perks in TNO even rewarded head on, over the top dual wielding shoot outs. I really liked the 'approach as you will' gameplay.

I'm talking the
prison breakout and concentration camp
levels specifically. I understand why stealth would be used there from a narrative perspective but I felt the ai wasn't sufficiently intelligent to make those sections exciting or meaningful. the supremely powerful throwing knives made them a cake walk as well. also, there was no penalty to being spotted (no instant fail state, which would have been the worst case scenario, no additional enemies arriving on the spot to gun you down, etc).

it was stealth without any of the tension or consequence that should be associated with it.
those sections were poorly thought out and implemented

I'm talking the
prison breakout and concentration camp
levels specifically. I understand why stealth would be used there from a narrative perspective but I felt the ai wasn't sufficiently intelligent to make those sections exciting or meaningful. the supremely powerful throwing knives made them a cake walk as well. also, there was no penalty to being spotted (no instant fail state, which would have been the worst case scenario, no additional enemies arriving on the spot to gun you down, etc).

it was stealth without any of the tension or consequence that should be associated with it.
those sections were poorly thought out and implemented

Yeah ok, I understand your point. I agree that the segments with melee enemies (batons) was easy to force through (even in ĂĽber), and I did as well when I was spotted :p In that sense it wasn't really forced stealth per se. But yeah, melee AI was subpar.

I was really disappointed in this one and didn't even end up finishing it. There was just too much time spent trying to develop characters I never ended up caring about, dicking around that home base place, and doing other shit. I felt like I was shooting nazis maybe 35% of the time.

The developer has a great pedigree, but this one just didn't do it for me.

Hmmm, that's a shame. Personally, the focus on the characters and story was a nice change of pace for me in the FPS genre, especially because a lot of the FPS games I've been playing in the past few years have left me wanting more. This game has great gameplay AND story/characters for me, which isn't something new you see everyday in the FPS genre. Nevertheless, I respect your view!

I really liked the game up until arriving at the home base. From there on the plot and my interest in it went straight downhill. Still a pretty good fps overall.

I actually thought the game got even better once you got to that place. Particularly the different personalities you met there. Didn't really notice a change in quality if I'm honest. Quite surprised to be honest; what particular parts did you not enjoy in that latter half?

I love this game so very much.

I own The Old Blood but haven't gotten around to it yet. I hope it's as good as TNO and I hope Machine Games is working on a sequel!

I love this game so very much.

I own The Old Blood but haven't gotten around to it yet. I hope it's as good as TNO and I hope Machine Games is working on a sequel!

Yep, I hope they are too.
Particularly because the ending credits hinted at B.J being saved as you could hear the helicopter rotors in the background

After Deathshead goes underground, loot the entire courtyard. Memorize where every container is, break them all open. Do not grab health packs until you have memorized where they all are. Then make a made dash and collect all the health very, very quickly and fall into the hole. This should give you over 300 health and 200 armor. Use the rocket launchers and only aim at the faceplate on Deathshead. Do not spam your attacks--when you connect, he will block the faceplate and prevent further damage. Cat and mouse him, unloading as you get a clear shot. When you run out of rockets, switch to the assault rifles and continue pummelling him--if you connected with most of the rockets then he should go down quickly. You will hear him cry out and say something when you defeat him and then it is safe to approach for the finale.

I used this strategy to beat him on Uber with little difficulty. It took me maybe 5 or 6 tries. Timing your shots and keeping things in between you and Deathshead is essential to avoid being absolutely perforated by him. Either way it will not be a prolonged fight--it is very much a situation where you will crush him, or he will crush you.

GOOCHY

I picked this one up thanks to the good GAF reviews and metacritic generally giving it praise. Looking forward to digging in.

Fantastic game. Great sense of humor, tight gunplay, great stealth, and thought provoking. One of my favorite games of last year.

IISANDERII

I got this game in the sale and it's very good. Surprisingly good stealth options sometimes, love the throw knife.
I wish there were more semi auto options, at the very beginning there was a semi auto mode on the guns but since then it's back to full auto.

daakusedo

Having hard time choosing missions to unlock missing abilities striked me as how much better it would be without all those immersion sequences.
Even the damn last one begin by a long setup.

Top Bottom