• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro Migration Crisis: 1 refugee says Finland too cold/boring (please ignore our KKK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiochus

It appears many of those ostensible refugees in the current Euro Migration Crisis were never that to begin with:

http://news.yahoo.com/finlands-no-good-disappointed-migrants-turn-back-152042061.html

Hundreds of predominantly Iraqi migrants who have travelled through Europe to reach Finland are turning back, saying they don't want to stay in the sparsely-populated country on Europe's northern frontier because it's too cold and boring.Migrants have in recent weeks been crossing back into Sweden at the Haparanda-Tornio border just an hour's drive south of the Arctic Circle, and Finnish authorities have seen a rise in the number of cancelled asylum applications.

"You can tell the world I hate Finland. It's too cold, there's no tea, no restaurants, no bars, nobody on the streets, only cars," 22-year-old Muhammed told AFP in Tornio, as the mercury struggled to inch above 10 degrees Celsius (50 Fahrenheit) on a recent blustery grey day.

Sweden may be just as cold as Finland, but Sweden has bigger immigrant communities because of a longer history of integration.

On September 19, several busloads of migrants made U-turns on the Swedish side when they saw hundreds of Finns form a "human barrier" on the Finnish side to protest against the sudden influx of migrants.

Anti-immigrant sentiment may be prompting some migrants to leave Finland, where the populist Finns Party is the second-biggest political party.

Early Friday, around 40 demonstrators -- including one dressed in a Ku Klux Klan outfit -- threw fireworks at a bus tran

Finnish authorities have expressed concern about finding housing for all the refugees if the influx continues, despite new facilities opening every week.

Some locals said the influx was putting too much strain on the country in the middle of its own economic woes.

"We should close the border and check who these people are. Iraqis should be sent straight back since their country is not at war," a metal worker and one of the organisers of the border protest, Eero Yrjanheikki, told AFP.

smurfx

get some go again
UzmI0z7.jpg

I don't know. My understanding from the article is that they aren't pleased at the anti-immigration sentiment going around. But no we have to make it about the one guy who seems like an asshole and how he says he wants to leave because it's too boring.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It probably helps not being greeted at the border by idiots in Ku Klux Klan outfits as well

KHarvey16

It's interesting how the premise of the article as presented by the OP seems to be these ungrateful leeches are leaving because their standards aren't being met, but then "oh by the way..." a bunch of people are making them feel unwelcome and turning them away.

I don't know. My understanding from the article is that they aren't pleased at the anti-immigration sentiment going around. But no we have to make it about the one guy who seems like an asshole and how he says he wants to leave because it's too boring.

What, like these guys?

It probably helps not being greeted at the border by idiots in Ku Klux Klan outfits as well

Disgraceful, to think of all the effort those Finns put in sewing their KKK costumes.

Edit:

Lol another one

Buzzman

Banned
Early Friday, around 40 demonstrators -- including one dressed in a Ku Klux Klan outfit -- threw fireworks at a bus tran

hundreds of Finns form a "human barrier" on the Finnish side to protest against the sudden influx of migrants

smh at these ungrateful refugees.

? what are you implying? Because of the bolded part with how you quoted these two post, it seems wierd... (not native english speaker so i maybe got ou wrong)

There's this one guy who dressed up as a KKK member but look how many people steam in here to mention him.

All the anti-immigration people love talking about the one Iraqi guy who said Finland is boring. All the pro-immigration people love talking about the one KKK cosplayer.

It's like poetry. Like, they rhyme.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
What? Shouldn't they be glad that they were able to escape to a stable country?
What ? So just because they escaped the war they are forbidden to further improve their situation ? Many of them already risked their lives to make it to europe...if you made it this far you will probably wanna settle down somewhere you feel "home" and can build a future.

Just because someone is trying to improve/change situation doesnt neccesary means he isnt thankful.
Send them back to paradise.

Shiggy

Shouldn't they be a bit more grateful?

The EU really needs to stop the infinite stream of refugees and make sure it's really those who need help. Then again, both here in Sweden and in Germany we already have enough problems with them and the problems will only increase in the coming years.

Shredderi

So all the people who suddenly understand this because of the ku klux klan guy realize that that's just it, a guy?. One guy in a ku klux klan costume.

Are these anti-immigration protests a regular thing, have more buses been attacked? It is clearly disgusting, but lets not paint all the Finish people as racists because of what some assholes do.

What ? So just because they escaped the war they are forbidden to further improve their situation ? Many of them already risked their lives to make it to europe...if you made it this far you will probably wanna settle down somewhere you feel "home" and can build a future.

Just because someone is trying to improve/change situation doesnt neccesary means he isnt thankful.
This kind of depends on the situation. You have to understand hundreds of thousands of people are coming to Europe because of the Syrian crises (and on top of that also people not from Syria, either from other war zones or because of economic reasons). Because of those large numbers, not everyone will be able to settle in the most preferred countries (Sweden and Germany it seems), because it would be unfair to burden those countries with all the costs and work for it.

KHarvey16

So all the people who suddenly understand this because of the ku klux klan guy realize that that's just it, a guy?. One guy in a ku klux klan costume.

That one guy was in a group of people. The costume isn't the entire reason that these refugees didn't feel welcome.

How is that not being understood?

Shredderi

There's this one guy who dressed up as a KKK member but look how many people steam in here to mention him.

All the anti-immigration people love talking about the one Iraqi guy who said Finland is boring. All the pro-immigration people love talking about the one KKK cosplayer.

It's like poetry. Like, they rhyme.

And yeah, this.

Article expressly says that there were another fourty dudes helping block more immigrants from arriving.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Are you familar with the concept of Cherrypicking Information?

Jasup

My Finnish heart swells with pride when even war refugees from Iraq don't find my country appealing.
FINLAND! FINLAND! THANK YOU SIBELIUS AND LÖNNROT!
Don't mind those non Finnish names though.

Rutti

It's great to see my country represented so well!

Edit: That one guy complaining lives in Tornio? I understand his hate.

Mrmartel

Banned
It's alright, Sweden is only a stone's throw away. They even greet migrants with signs and hugs. They have more than enough resources that they are squandering from future generations to spend on the current refugees. But the swedes don't have kids anyways, so it's more like the migrants grandchildren's resources.

Sweden is the best place for these migrants. It truly is the shining tolerant city on a hill. A testament to suicidal pathological altruism that should be an example for us all.

KHarvey16

It's alright, Sweden is only a stone's throw away. They even greet migrants with signs and hugs. They have more than enough resources that they are squandering from future generations to spend on the current refugees. But the swedes don't have kids anyways, so it's more like the immigrants grandchildren's resources.

I say the Swedes are the best place for these migrants. It truly is the shining tolerant city on a hill. A testament to suicidal pathological altruism that should be a example for us all.

You're both classy and compassionate.

People are talking about that because that's the subject of the thread.
I just don't think a few people being assholes is reason for refugees to not accept the help a country is giving them and turning back to another. Or this whole thing must be more widespread then just a few protests, which we have seen in numerous European countries.

Buzzman

Banned
It's alright, Sweden is only a stone's throw away. They even greet migrants with signs and hugs. They have more than enough resources that they are squandering from future generations to spend on the current refugees. But the swedes don't have kids anyways, so it's more like the immigrants grandchildren's resources anyways

I say the Swedes are the best place for these migrants. It truly is the shining tolerant city on a hill. A testament to suicidal pathological altruism that should be a example for us all.

Go cry some more please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom