• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Battlefront sell 12M?

Renekton

EA projected Battlefront would sell 12M copies, and analysts somehow think they are lowballing it. Really? It feels like a tweener product atm. I'm trying to get my SW-fan friends into playing BF with me but no DICE.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/10/12/business/media/disney-reboots-star-wars-video-games.html

Star Wars Battlefront, published by Electronic Arts under a license from Disney, will arrive in stores on Nov. 17. (An Internet-based test version was made available to fans on Thursday.) Battlefront, as the game is known, cost an estimated $180 million to make and market, and hopes are that it will sell roughly 12 million copies worldwide, which translates to about $720 million in retail sales or $550 million wholesale, according to Michael Pachter, an analyst at Wedbush Securities

(Edit 10m to 12m)

// Mod Edit:

A note about the "make and market" budget - as a Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 comparison, the game was $40-$50 million, but the total launch budget was $200 million due to $150-$160 million in marketing costs: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/mon...ern-warfare-2-gets-hollywoodscale-launch.html

LA Times said:
Call of Duty cost $40 million to $50 million to produce, people close to the project said, about as much as a mid-size film. Including marketing expenses and the cost of producing and distributing discs, the launch budget was $200 million, on par with a summer popcorn movie -- and extremely high for a video game.

In other words, the game's development cost shouldn't be read as $180 million.

Tapejara

For sure, especially with the film coming out this year. How much do Battlefield games usually sell? 15+ million?

The Star Wars brand is very powerful, and its' got the bonus of DICE's name on the cover. 10M by the end of the year seems doable.

DJIzana

I have nothing against Star Wars at all but they need to fix spawning.

My VERY FIRST LIFE. I spawned DIRECTLY IN FRONT of an enemy Darth Vader. Not a good experience out the gate. I'll say that much.

Of course it will. It's been 5 years since the last Star Wars game, and 7 since a good one.

The marketing that EA will do will easily push it past 12M.

Yes it's been 10 years since the last Battlefront game and 10 years since the last Star Wars movie, if you combine the HYPE for both of them you will get the result

Game hype + movie hype = $$$

Klossen

Banned
$180 million to make and market. What the hell?! Is 80% of that going to marketing? I doubt the old Battlefront games cost more than a tenth of that.

Josh5890

I think it is almost a given. That's 4 million per version. Maybe a 5/5/2 split with PC getting the fewest sales. People have been begging for this all last generation.

The trump card that could end it would be if the launch crapped super hard like Battlefield 4 or Halo MCC. Game should be an easy seller though.

Halabane

Thats why the quality or depth of this game does not matter. They got it out in time with the movie. It will be huge. 12M? I bet the bean counters are dreaming bigger than that.

Josh5890

As long as neither it nor Episode 7 get bad reviews, probably. Star Wars will be huge this holiday.

I thought about that but I think releasing Episode 7 a week before Christmas will keep bad reviews from slowing down the hype train in time. This holiday is going to be all about Star Wars.

So this game have a development+marketing budget of 180 Million, that to me is more surprising because the game doesn't look that content rich.

The only games to my knowledge that have close to this budget are GTA V and Destiny.

Abounder

Banned
Star Wars is going to dominate the holidays in all forms of entertainment media and merchandise

Will there be amiibo-like figurines? If they have that plus the inevitable DLC expansions then it's going to make crazy numbers

As for the budget, the $180m number is high but probably covers the aforementioned DLC lifespan and extended marketing campaign as well

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So this game have a development+marketing budget of 180 Million, that to me is more surprising because the game doesn't look that content rich.

The only games to my knowledge that have close to this budget are GTA V and Destiny.

I wouldnt be surprised if marketing is the majority of that figure.

Memento

I find it very surprising too.

Halabane

My fifty year old Dad is going to buy an Xbox One just to play it.

He's your dad. Tell him to get a PS4. Unless he needs Halo.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...attlefront-xbox-one-beta-performance-analysis

"it's fair to say PS4's beta is in the healthier shape. With a clearer image and the better average frame-rate of the two consoles, the strong suggestion right now is that the PS4 version is the one to gun for on launch"

Its your dad we are talking about here. Use the force.

Jigorath

Banned
A new Battlefront would be a huge on it's own considering the pent up demand after a decade of waiting. But the fact that it's coming out next to a new Star Wars movie? Fucking thing is going to fly off shelves.

Star Wars fever is going to be everywhere this holiday.

I don't think so. I think Fallout, Blops and Halo are going to be bigger this holiday. It will have a long tail though.

youre not factoring 1 important thing in besides it being a multiplayer shooter from a popular dev.
its flippin star wars,and that too close to episode 7.
that alone assures millions of sales

something something underestimating the power of the dark side. I think this will be a good game for more casual players (as in people who don't religiously buy every game).

I'm personally to have more fun with Battlefront after getting creamed in CoD Blops III and Halo 5.

It'll do 12 mill in the first year, just not in the first month or two.

Top Bottom