• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes Review Thread

Shawn6661

Metacritic - 74

Ign - 8.5

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes is more than just a fun co-op diversion from the large-scale solo adventures this series is known for. The challenging, intricate puzzles are great chaotic fun in local multiplayer or for a one-time run through in single-player. Limited communication tools make it difficult to play with adventurers online, but everywhere else it’s a success.

NintendoInsider - 8

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes isn't the pinnacle of the series, but it was never intended to be. This diversionary spin-off packs hours of hilarity for those that can rally two heroic heroes to form a legendary party, although proves more problematic for those wandering Hytopia alone.

Metro - 8

Jeuxvideo - 16/20

GameInformer - 7.25

Tri Force Heroes does co-op well, but the repetitive gameplay loop simply isn’t satisfying. The rewards are worthwhile, but the journey gets tiresome before making it to the final boss. Tonally, the game has a great style and welcoming sense of humor, but I found little reason to continue to revisit the Drablands after my initial ventures.

Destructoid - 7

I would outright suggest that you avoid Tri Force Heroes if you plan on going at it alone. The good news is that the online portion works wonderfully, and with download play, you can get a local three-person game running up in no time. If you don't fit that criteria though, you can probably pass on Link's newest adventure.

Gameblog - 7

Videogamer - 7

Gamesradar - 3.5/5

A playful co-op experience that shines with mates, but isn’t as precise or polished as a mainline Zelda.

Edge - 6

Nintendolife - 6

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes is a mixed bag, though still exudes the charm of the franchise while throwing in some delightful features all of its own. Outfits are a high point, as are the presentation and soundtrack, and there are moments of wonder when level design and teamwork come together in harmony. There are weak points, however, with uneven stage design, poor communication options in multiplayer and a single player experience that's a mere afterthought. Tri Force Heroes isn't a bad game, but it's not on the same level as its illustrious predecessors.

Gamekult - 5

Threesome but not awesome

Gamespot - 5

Tri Force Heroes offers us the means to work together, but not enough reason to do so.

Damn.

I'm honestly not surprised though. Well, ok, maybe a little....but this game never looked very appealing, even to someone who enjoyed Four Swords Adventures.

teeny

Oh dear, this all seems a bit lukewarm so far :(

I'll still buy it
(it's Zelda!)
and it will still likely be good, but this was not really the follow up to A Link Between Worlds I was hoping for.

Kriken

Game Informer - 7.25

Tri Force Heroes does co-op well, but the repetitive gameplay loop simply isn’t satisfying. The rewards are worthwhile, but the journey gets tiresome before making it to the final boss. Tonally, the game has a great style and welcoming sense of humor, but I found little reason to continue to revisit the Drablands after my initial ventures.

Out of curiosity, what are the lowest rated Zelda games?

Zelda 1 and 2 ports for the GBA

JoeM86

Makes sense. I figured this would happen due to multiplayer requirements

Anyway, friend's review

Nintendo Insider - 8
he Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes isn't the pinnacle of the series, but it was never intended to be. This diversionary spin-off packs hours of hilarity for those that can rally two heroic heroes to form a legendary party, although proves more problematic for those wandering Hytopia alone.

Zalman

Not really shocked. It seemed like a filler title from the get-go. I think people who enjoyed the Four Swords games will like this one too though.

Red Hood

Banned
Out of curiosity, what are the lowest rated Zelda games?

Also please include links to reviews at minimum.

Not counting the Classic NES ports, Four Swords Adventures with around 84% if you'd count it as a main line Zelda (which I honestly don't), otherwise Spirit Tracks with 87%

8/10 from Metro Gamcentral

http://metro.co.uk/2015/10/21/the-legend-of-zelda-tri-force-heroes-review-costume-party-5453959/

In Short: Zelda does definitely work as a co-op multiplayer game, assuming you can find suitably competent allies, in this fun and charming spin-off.

Pros: The levels are well designed and make clever use of all your abilities and costumes, especially the boss battles. Endearing, whimsical tone and presentation.

Cons: The single-player is no fun and the online makes communication difficult. Finding two local players isn’t easy either, given the difficulty of some stages.

Score: 8/10

Wow, not a great start. I got really amped for it after playing the demo last weekend, I hope low reviews don't turn people away from buying it and end up limiting how many there are to play with online.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

StAidan

Not surprising. No one was asking for this game. I always want to be interested in any new Zelda game, but I just can't muster anything for this one.

Destructoid - 7/10

I would outright suggest that you avoid Tri Force Heroes if you plan on going at it alone. The good news is that the online portion works wonderfully, and with download play, you can get a local three-person game running up in no time. If you don't fit that criteria though, you can probably pass on Link's newest adventure.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I personally wouldn't count ports though, only the systems they were originally released for.

Then it would be the original Four Swords Adventures which is at 86 MC and 84 on GR.

Lowest mainline Zelda is Spirit Tracks at 87 on both review aggregates.

Probably not gonna jump on this day one like I typically do for Zelda. Maybe I'll wait for a sale or some birthday gift cards or something.

If they needed a Zelda game this year that badly I would've preferred TP HD/3D.

nikos

Not much of a Zelda fan, but I had fun with the demo so I preordered. The mediocre scores are further convincing me that I'll like the game, since my taste in things seems to differ from most. Being able to play online with friends is enough for me.

oti

Banned
The single player is terrible. TERRIBLE.
Online worked pretty well during reviewing. Today it's really spotty though.

that's a bit harsh don't you think?

It's a game using recycled everything from ALBW and has the most unimaginative character design (hurr durr, let's just make a red, blue, and green link) in recent Zelda history. It's clear that this is a last minute cash in at the end of the 3DS' life cycle.

I would have rather this game be launched on mobile devices.

Litri

I was sure this was going to happen as the single player is not what people were expecting it to be. That said, what I was expecting is what I think I will get when it's on my hands.

When the foundation of the game is the multiplayer co-op experience and you have such a dungeon puzzle layout, it's inherently difficult to make the single player experience cohesive and smooth, especially on a Zelda game.

Personally, I would have ditched the single player but then some people would have complained that it's solely multiplayer.

I have plenty of friends with whom I will be able to play this game so the investment will pay off, I'm sure.

Top Bottom