• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes Review Thread

Been really disappointed in 3DS games lately and I think this Zelda may make my decision to get rid of my 3DS as I really don't see anything that screams must buy for 3DS anytime soon.

Razzorn34

The lag plus randoms with limited communication made playing the demo hard.

If I had an optimal setup like the NVC crew it might be different. There is a decent game there if you can get the right mix.

Yeah, I did have some bouts with lag. But, considering this was a stress test/demo, it will probably be better at release.

To me, the limited communication is part of the charm. It reminded me of multiplayer Journey in that respect. It's easy to get the point across if you aren't matched up with complete brain dead people. I'll take this over voice chat with randoms any day.

samn

Even if this was an incredible title, I'd never be able to play this at its full potential. My only friend that has a 3DS would be unlikely to purchase it and we don't get together enough to be able to communicate while we play.

Effect

Seeing as the single player is turning out how I expected it to I'll just be playing through A Link Between Worlds again. I didn't get everything in that game anyway. Or finish Majora's Mask 3D.

I like the idea of Tri-Force heroes a lot and I agree if you have local people the game could be a blast. If you don't and don't want to deal with random players online it's very likely one should look for a different Zelda game. There are plenty on the 3DS to pick from from. OoT 3D, Majora's Mask 3D, A Link Between Worlds, the VC games, and Hyrule Warrior Legends that is coming. There are options for a Zelda fan if this isn't your cup of tea or something you might find frustrating.

Mario Maker came out a month and a half ago, so I think they are still capable of making good games. I'm more inclined to believe that these titles are mostly intended as gap fillers while Nintendo begins transitioning to NX and mobile.

A lot of spin-offs by B-teams while A-teams are working on Nx titles.

I guess (hope) this is the explanation.

Anth0ny

This has been an awful year for Nintendo software. God bless Splatoon and Super Mario Maker.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - 89
Super Mario Maker - 88
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D - 86
Stretchmo - 83
Splatoon - 81
Yoshi's Woolly World - 78
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - 73
Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition - 73
Dr. Mario: Miracle Cure - 69
Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer - 67
Mario Party 10 - 66
Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water - 66
Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash - 62
Pokémon Shuffle - 56
Pokémon Rumble World - 56
Devil's Third - 43 (lol)

absolute garbage year, especially if you take out those remakes.

this was the year we were supposed to get star fox and zelda, too. they replaced those titles with fuck all.

I'd argue it's more because top talent has shifted direction so that they ensure quality for newer systems, but that's something we really can't know until later.

People said the same thing after the Wii was abandoned... and Nintendo gave us New Super Mario Bros. U and Nintendo Land. There's no denying that they have already moved on to greener pastures, but this notion that Nintendo has secretly been working on Zelda NX, F-Zero HD, Metroid Prime 4, and 3D Mario for a 2016 launch has no historical precedence.

absolute garbage year, especially if you take out those remakes.

this was the year we were supposed to get star fox and zelda, too. they replaced those titles with fuck all.
Yes, and while everybody assumes that "Nintendo has already started making games for NX", they could just be delaying titles to pad their release schedule. We already have three Wii U titles allegedly coming out next year. All they have to do is announce Pikmin 4 as a Wii U exclusive and they have the first 8 months of 2016 covered. From January 2015 to September 2015, they released a grand total of three games, two of which were critical failures.

People said the same thing after the Wii was abandoned... and Nintendo gave us New Super Mario Bros. U and Nintendo Land. There's no denying that they have already moved on to greener pastures, but this notion that Nintendo has secretly been working on Zelda NX, Metroid Prime 4, and 3D Mario for a 2016 launch has no historical precedence.

Eh, I think we're getting Zelda next year and a 3D Mario has to be in the works, though not necessarily for a 2016 launch.

I think the fact that both Wii U and 3DS are going to be replaced soon is a factor in people believing most of the top talent has moved on.

TVGamer

Neo Member
Most likely getting it despite the iffy reviews. Didn't have amazing expectations for the game, but I know for sure the game relying on people working together is gonna make for lots of rage and laughter with my friends.

I'm not really surprised by scores because a lot of people don't understand the principle of spin-offs and where hoping for an experience like any other Zelda game.

It's a little game ala Toad: TT. I played the demo, it's not perfect but the puzzles can be very interesting and some mechanics are well done.

I just wish that single player would be better because a lot of reviews seem to say that if you can't play with friends regularly it's just not the same thing at all.
I understand that it's a coop game but maybe they could have adjusted a little more the gameplay while controlling the 3 characters yourself (it seems that the only change is while not being controlled the others are invulnerable).

Well 29€ is not a lot... I know I'll still buy it and the demo even with complete strangers was fun so time to ask my friends to come with their 3DS to a quick session after a football match :p

oti

Banned
Damn right. I love this game so much.

Maybe Mario Maker was a tad overrated but I still think it's a really solid package.

I haven't even opened my copy of Kirby that I purchased at launch, so that pretty much shows you my level of interest in it. I basically bought it out of habit.

Nein. Nothing about Mario Maker war overrated. NOTHING!

Zalman

My 3DS has three Zelda games already. Slow down, will ya? It's like they put all their Metroid resources into Zelda.

Been really disappointed in 3DS games lately and I think this Zelda may make my decision to get rid of my 3DS as I really don't see anything that screams must buy for 3DS anytime soon.
Yokai Watch will be good along with Paper Jam, but yeah of you do not like RPGS you got nothing.

32 dungeons? At least it doesn't seem light on content.

Each can be played four different ways, too. That's the challenge mode aspect of it. You can play through the dungeon regularly, but there are three specific parameter options for each one, too, like "defeat the dungeon with half your hearts" or "finish within time limit" or "only use bombs" etc. Then there's the Crystal Chronicles style one where you have to carry a ball that makes the circular area around it safe but everything outside of it is poison.

Beating a dungeon gives you a one in three shot at getting a rare material drop that you can use towards creating one of the many different outfits you can wear that might make the next specific dungeon challenge a little easier. The "make all bombs big bombs" costume is great on the "use bombs only" challenge, for example.

All in all there's a lot to do here. Depending on how much fun you have doing it in single player or how much access you have to two other local humans in multiplayer will determine how much mileage you get out of doing it all. IMO, online is damn near impossible at times unless every player knows exactly how to defeat a dungeon already since communicating with emojis instead of voice chat can be borderline impossible.

The Boat

I'm holding off my review until there are more randoms to play with, it seems to me it wouldn't be a very representative review without that.
With that said, as a multiplayer game I absolutely love it. Single player is fun too, but yeah, it's made to be played with others.

Chase17

This has been an awful year for Nintendo software. God bless Splatoon and Super Mario Maker.

Super Mario Maker - 88
Stretchmo - 83
Splatoon - 81
Mario Party 10 - 66
Pokémon Shuffle - 56
Devil's Third - 43 (lol)
Don't worry. Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival and Mario Tennis will save us!

Lunar15

People said the same thing after the Wii was abandoned... and Nintendo gave us New Super Mario Bros. U and Nintendo Land. There's no denying that they have already moved on to greener pastures, but this notion that Nintendo has secretly been working on Zelda NX, F-Zero HD, Metroid Prime 4, and 3D Mario for a 2016 launch has no historical precedence.

Yes, and while everybody assumes that "Nintendo has already started making games for NX", they could just be delaying titles to pad their release schedule.

I didn't say for launch. I said for future systems. Nintendo did eventually deliver great Wii U and 3DS games, it just took quite some time.

Nintendo has clearly struggled with the transition to HD games, as have most companies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Each can be played four different ways, too. That's the challenge mode aspect of it. You can play through the dungeon regularly, but there are three specific parameter options for each one, too, like "defeat the dungeon with half your hearts" or "finish within time limit" or "only use bombs" etc. Then there's the Crystal Chronicles style one where you have to carry a ball that makes the circular area around it safe but everything outside of it is poison.

Beating a dungeon gives you a one in three shot at getting a rare material drop that you can use towards creating one of the many different outfits you can wear that might make the next specific dungeon challenge a little easier. The "make all bombs big bombs" costume is great on the "use bombs only" challenge, for example.

All in all there's a lot to do here. Depending on how much fun you have doing it in single player or how much access you have to two other local humans in multiplayer will determine how much mileage you get out of doing it all. IMO, online is damn near impossible at times unless every player knows exactly how to defeat a dungeon already since communicating with emojis instead of voice chat can be borderline impossible.

If only I could somehow play 2 player offline co-op as I could probably manage that. Getting 3 people together to play through this is a much tougher task for me.

Why Nintendo wouldn't let us roll 2 players with an AI statue I'll never know. Ugh

Dr. Buni

3DS suffers from having some of the worst sequels to long running franchises, but it also have a few great sequels or remakes. I wouldn't get rid of mine, but I can't blame those who do that.
Next Level Games are going to have their reputation tarnished, shame after how great Punch Out Wii was.
Unless the game is actually good and get great reviews.

And Dream Team was great.

Spruchy

I'm just mad that this game requires 3 players.

My Dad and I always play Zelda games together and I bought both of us a copy but we can't play with each other.

Great.

Mario Maker came out a month and a half ago, so I think they are still capable of making good games. I'm more inclined to believe that these titles are mostly intended as gap fillers while Nintendo begins transitioning to NX and mobile.
I'd argue it's more because top talent has shifted direction so that they ensure quality for newer systems, but that's something we really can't know until later.

That was my point and what I was originally hoping. However, with Mario Maker and Splatoon, they've only had two non-remakes this year cracking 80 percent (and we all know how the vg scale works) this year. And even though MM remake reviewed well, even that they also butchered in places.
New ideas like STEAM and Home Designer fell flat on their face. And since I've played it, I can confirm that even the fresh looking games like Yoshi and Kirby are actually just as average as the reviews suggest. And the former has been announced since before the Wii U was confirmed dead. The low budget feel in the presentation of Triforce Heroes, Starfox, etc. suggest gap filler, but the overall decrease of gameplay quality might become concerning in the long run, especially after Wii U in general has produced as little Nintendo classics as never before. Nintendo's infamous quality control apparantly also didn't work their wonders for Fatal Frame and Devil's Third anymore.

Toxi

Banned
Can probably just copy and paste these scores in for the review thread of that new Metroid game they're making.
After this I can't wait to see what the reviews for Metroid Federation Force will be.
I can't wait for the Metroid Federation Force reviews...
It's going to be a bloodbath.
Metroid Federation Four/10.
7-Samus_Hammered.jpg

suikodan

I am not surprised about these scores as I expected the game to be a refresh of Zelda Four Swords.

However, I am so happy about Download Play. My 2 sons and I are certain of having fun with this.

killroy87

That sounds great, thanks for the impressions! I might dabble in online to see how it goes, but otherwise I'll probably be soloing this. Do you know if you can go two local & one online?

massoluk

Banned

Super Mario Maker - 88
Stretchmo - 83
Splatoon - 81
Mario Party 10 - 66
Pokémon Shuffle - 56
Devil's Third - 43 (lol)

For real, Big N slipping hard this year.

Yokai Watch will be good along with Paper Jam, but yeah of you do not like RPGS you got nothing.

Hate to say it but playing the same mario games over & over again got old. Really wish there was a new Mario Kart game for the 3DS coming out. But Imagine all the new mario games will be held for the new handheld.

Besides, I've been playing FFVII and other games on my iPhone & iPad and I lost interest in the xenoblade already (don't like the menu's, etc).

Chase17

I was going to try and go through this solo but might not hearing these reviews. Guess I'm going to have to hope to get lucky with who I get matched with online.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I am just concerned about the single player aspect as I plan to play it as a single player game, but eh I will judge it for myself.

I might end up liking it.

Guys is ALBW really that good? Maybe I'll should buy it.

No it's garbage, one of the most disappointing Zelda game that I have ever played.

Lunar15

STEAM's pretty great, though. Definitely felt in line with the quality of a lot of IS games, if you ask me.

It's also kind of interesting to look at this from a Japanese perspective: They got FE:IF this year and they're also getting #FE.

It'll be interesting to see what Xenoblade X gets from western press. I'm not expecting good reviews. Mixed at best.

moozoom

For what's it's worth, I have the game since monday - and I really like it.

It's not a game to be compared to a full blown Zelda title (like A link between worlds) but the game is full of charm on its own as a spinoff.

I've played in local co-op with 2 other friends for a few hours, and we've had a blast. The game encourages co-op a little more than four swords did as Hearts and money are shared between players and there is no ranking at the end to decide which is the best. The levels and puzzles begin easy, but the difficulty ramps up in the 3rd world and you can redo earlier levels with some added objectives (finish in strict time limit, pop all balloons, etc...) to make it more challenging and have access to rare loot. Making the costumes is progressively more difficult and needs rarer loot, which you get at the end of your exploration : 3 chests - 2 with common loot, one with a rare. Each player picks one at random. I'll have to play more to see how much of a chore it is, but there is a merchant in town that sells some rare loot so maybe it'll alleviate the repetitiveness.

I'm waiting for the servers to be fully open cause the game is not out yet, but the few bouts of online play I had with the demo and the final game were fun too. There was a little lag (beta is still ongoing I think).

I also liked the little nods to old zelda games with tongue in cheek dialogues or easter eggs. I'm not a rabid Zelda fan so maybe I'm just easier to please than most. Just my 2 cents !

Top Bottom