• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes Review Thread

michalson

Neo Member
I'm writing a review of this game for polish press and i have to say that's it's actually very good. Ok - it sucks in single player, but multiplayer is a lot of fun. I've been playing online with my two buddies from other media - we're all giving it 8/10.
I'm a little suprised by the scores like 5/10 - they are definitely too low. Tri Force Heroes is packed with great mini dungeons, typical Zelda puzzles and it has nice artstyle and music.
I'm not a Zelda fanboy, but i recommend this game to all of you guys. Of course in multiplayer.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This month seems like a miss for the most part.
Zip Lash, Fatal Frame, and Tri Force heroes have bombed with critics

If you add to the list also Devil's Third you have a second half of 2015 (not) to remember.

Plus Mario Party 10 and Code S.T.E.A.M. earlier this year. Kirby and Yoshi got also an average reception.

Being cheap doesn't always pay off. Nintendo supposed to stand for quality software, transition year or not, this is quite sad.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
That is tragic, because Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass are clearly more deserving imo.

Correction, technically Hyrule Warriors scored lower 76/77 on MC/GR, doesn't have Zelda in the title so didn't show up in the search list for all the other games. Still Tri Force Heroes is lower than that at the moment and is made by Nintendo and not a third party.

This has been an awful year for Nintendo software. God bless Splatoon and Super Mario Maker.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - 89
Super Mario Maker - 88
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D - 86
Stretchmo - 83
Splatoon - 81
Yoshi's Woolly World - 78
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - 73
Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition - 73
Dr. Mario: Miracle Cure - 69
Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer - 67
Mario Party 10 - 66
Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water - 66
Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash - 62
Pokémon Shuffle - 56
Pokémon Rumble World - 56
Devil's Third - 43 (lol)

21XX

Banned
Surprised to see some people saying things like "That low????" I guess I never looked at this as a mainline, top-tier possible entry in the franchise. Hope it's fun for people who are into it though.

TheJoRu

Textbook example of mixed reviews so far. There's some genuinely high scores in there, but also several pretty low ones.

If you add to the list also Devil's Third you have a second half of 2015 (not) to remember.

Plus Mario Party 10 earlier this year. Kirby and Yoshi got also an average reception.

Being cheap doesn't always pay off. Nintendo supposed to stand for quality software, transition year or not, this is quite sad.

The critics were flat-out wrong on this one at least. Wonderful, wonderful game.

This year has been really horrible though, outside of some great 3DS software early on (MM 3D, Monster Hunter 4), alongside Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, Yoshi, and hopefully Yo-kai Watch and Xenoblade. Honestly though, this really isn't good enough.

Razzorn34

Being touted as a multiplayer centric title from the get go, the amount of hate the singleplayer is getting is ridiculous. I would never buy this game and play it by myself.

Yeah. I don't get it. I jumped in the beta and had a blast right from the start.

Chalk up another game I'll be ignoring the reviews on. Still getting this and Fatal Frame.

AdanVC

Another Nintendo game with not so great scores... First AC HH Designer, then Chibi Robo and now this. Note that all of them are spin-off titles... Nintendo holiday 2015, ladies and gentlemen. :(

oti

Banned
It isn't a bad game, it's really fun actually. If you've got two fiends who are into Zelda puzzles you will have a hell of a time.

Just don't treat this is ALBW2. You will have a baaaad time.

Litri

Being touted as a multiplayer centric title from the get go, the amount of hate the singleplayer is getting is ridiculous. I would never buy this game and play it by myself.

Yeah. I don't get it. I jumped in the beta and had a blast right from the start.

Chalk up another game I'll be ignoring the reviews on. Still getting this and Fatal Frame.

Exactly my thoughts.

I've put maybe 18 hours in to this game (mostly in single player) and I absolutely love it. One of my favorite games of the year. That said, rapidly switching between characters in single player can be a little frustrating at times and the overworld is VERY thin for a Zelda game, so I can see why some of lower scores are leaning that way.

Local multiplayer on the other hand had us yelling and cheering with joy through most of it. I played through a dozen or so stages with Jose Otero and Peer Schneider at IGN and the whole office could hear us clapping and cursing at each other. So much fun.

All in all I like it better than any of the Four Sword games and most of the 32 dungeons are very clever and fun. I'll probably be playing the challenge levels for a while.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
This has been an awful year for Nintendo software. God bless Splatoon and Super Mario Maker.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - 89
Super Mario Maker - 88
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D - 86
Stretchmo - 83
Splatoon - 81
Yoshi's Woolly World - 78
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - 73
Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition - 73
Dr. Mario: Miracle Cure - 69
Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer - 67
Mario Party 10 - 66
Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water - 66
Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash - 62
Pokémon Shuffle - 56
Pokémon Rumble World - 56
Devil's Third - 43 (lol)

Not surprising really. All their main teams are working on NX and is last year has been about cheap spinoffs or outsourced titles.

I'm thinking that Nintendo is already heavily focussing and betting everything on NX and that most games that are coming out for the 3DS right now are just there to make it seem a bit more alive.

I don't think they're worried about the scores too much.

JoeM86

Another Nintendo game with not so great scores... First AC HH Designer, then Chibi Robo and now this. Note that all of them are spin-off titles... Nintendo holiday 2015, ladies and gentlemen. :(

I think many people are going in expecting them to be main entries or like the main entries though.

Yes! It's finally out!
What a great waste of the zelda teams time and energy!
Can nintendo please move on and tell us about proper zelda games like twilight princess hd or the Wii U
nx
game please

TM25

Neo Member
I play Zelda for the single player so I was not interested in getting this. Panning of the single player confirms this was the right decision personally.

Despite that the levels do look fun and some of the bosses. I really wish this had been a DLC map pack for A Link Between Worlds.

One critical flop after another from Nintendo recently. Xenoblade impressions aren't great and Starfox looks trash too. And now they've badly dropped the ball on 3DS.
I was hopeful for betterment in the amount support on NX, since Wii U was clearly given up upon at the end of last year and supposedly a united OS would work against droughts. But now I'm worrying that Nintendo really isn't able to produce quality products in general anymore, at least in appropriate quantity.

killroy87

Between two spin-off animal crossing games, this zelda, mario tennis, and the metroid coming out, Nintendo is really just throwing a ton of filler titles at us before they write these consoles off. It's kind of sad, really.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

The lag plus randoms with limited communication made playing the demo hard.

If I had an optimal setup like the NVC crew it might be different. There is a decent game there if you can get the right mix.

killroy87

I've put maybe 18 hours in to this game (mostly in single player) and I absolutely love it. One of my favorite games of the year. That said, rapidly switching between characters in single player can be a little frustrating at times and the overworld is VERY thin for a Zelda game, so I can see why some of lower scores are leaning that way.

Local multiplayer on the other hand had us yelling and cheering with joy through most of it. I played through a dozen or so stages with Jose Otero and Peer Schneider at IGN and the whole office could hear us clapping and cursing at each other. So much fun.

All in all I like it better than any of the Four Sword games and most of the 32 dungeons are very clever and fun. I'll probably be playing the challenge levels for a while.

32 dungeons? At least it doesn't seem light on content.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Not surprising. It's like complaining Mario Party isn't much fun in single player. At least this has online for those who can't easily get two other people together to play locally. Never bothered with FS Adventures back in the day either. Might look into this if the price drops, which isn't too uncommon for handheld Zelda games in the UK.

braves01

Banned
One critical flop after another from Nintendo recently. Xenoblade impressions aren't great and Starfox looks trash too.
I was hopeful for betterment in the amount support on NX, since Wii U was clearly given up upon at the end of last year and supposedly a united OS would work against droughts. But now I'm worrying that Nintendo really isn't able to produce quality products in general anymore.

Mario Maker came out a month and a half ago, so I think they are still capable of making good games. I'm more inclined to believe that these titles are mostly intended as gap fillers while Nintendo begins transitioning to NX and mobile.

Kazer

Sounds like I'll be passing on this as the single player experience sounds pretty bad (not that I was expecting it to be good with multiplayer being the main focus for this title). Ah well. Hopefully we can get some TPHD news soon.

raven777

CR2UmhVUkAA46bb.jpg:orig

Mario Maker came out a month and a half ago, so I think they are still capable of making good games. I'm more inclined to believe that these titles are mostly intended as gap fillers while Nintendo begins transitioning to NX and mobile.

Prepare yourself for a lengthy stream of consciousness on why Super Mario Maker is actually shit.

Zemm

Can probably just copy and paste these scores in for the review thread of that new Metroid game they're making.

mrmickfran

Surprised to see some people saying things like "That low????" I guess I never looked at this as a mainline, top-tier possible entry in the franchise. Hope it's fun for people who are into it though.
It's decent for action game standards, but bad for Zelda standards.

Lunar15

One critical flop after another from Nintendo recently. Xenoblade impressions aren't great and Starfox looks trash too. And now they've badly dropped the ball on 3DS.
I was hopeful for betterment in the amount support on NX, since Wii U was clearly given up upon at the end of last year and supposedly a united OS would work against droughts. But now I'm worrying that Nintendo really isn't able to produce quality products in general anymore, at least in appropriate quantity.

I'd argue it's more because top talent has shifted direction so that they ensure quality for newer systems, but that's something we really can't know until later.

Prepare yourself for a lengthy stream of consciousness on why Super Mario Maker is actually shit.

I too think Super Mario Maker was overrated by critics while Yoshi's Woolly World was underrated. Meanwhile, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse was probably the biggest disappointment of the year for me. I couldn't even finish it.

I too think Super Mario Maker was overrated by critics while Yoshi's Woolly World was underrated. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse was probably the biggest disappointment of the year for me. I couldn't even finish it.

Damn right. I love this game so much.

Maybe Mario Maker was a tad overrated but I still think it's a really solid package.

I haven't even opened my copy of Kirby that I purchased at launch, so that pretty much shows you my level of interest in it. I basically bought it out of habit.

Top Bottom