• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport will support PlayStation VR!

Man

The big Virtual Reality killer app has been revealed. This will be HUGE for PlayStation VR.

Here's that sweet trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PwJf6Y244g

i1g4Ny9nP1HeYz.jpg

I didn't even notice that they announced it, but now I keep hearing it.

This is the type of game PS VR needs to really make a mark early.

RIGS looks surprisingly tight though, was impressed.

Prototype

This could be the most innovative thing GT7 does, for better or worse.

I'm just worried that in VR the game won't be 60fps. If that's the case it will be worthless.

Man

I'm just worried that in VR the game won't be 60fps. If that's the case it will be worthless.
GT5 (and prob GT6) had 3D-stereoscopic rendering AND head-tracking. They practically did VR already. I have no doubts they will achieve 1080p 60fps on PS4 (Forza does on Xbox).

Are VR driving games fun with a standard controller?
Yes. But you will be compelled to purchase a wheel and pedal set after approx. 5 seconds.

This could be the most innovative thing GT7 does, for better or worse.

If it can't run at 60fps then they won't enable it. I'm hoping it'll be 90fps.

viHuGi

Banned
PS VR is light years ahead of others, most studios are going with PS VR and with GT at the pole position is going to be a huge!

Joey Ravn

Banned
PS VR is light years ahead of others, most studios are going with PS VR and with GT at the pole position is going to be a huge!

That's not the consensus I've been hearing, but since we're talking about unreleased products, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. What proof do you have to support your claim?

benzy

Are we sure if the actual driving gameplay will be VR supported or will it just be some VR model viewer

Kaz wouldn't miss the opportunity.

“We’re of course planning to be compatible with PlayStation VR and through the testing we’ve done so far, it looks to be something very good that feels very natural. And I just wanted to add that Gran Turismo has continued to make history in the industry with projects like GT Academy and Vision GT and our intention is to continue this in GT Sport—to keep making history going forward.”

Crayon

$300 slim ps4 + $300 headset + $60 gt + $250 wheel = sub-$1000 vr driving simulator. Pretty good deal.

Tagyhag

I need to buy a wheel that supports both PC and PS4 in the future.

No, just no. It's the lowest end model of the 3 big ones.

Crayon

That's not the consensus I've been hearing, but since we're talking about unreleased products, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. What proof do you have to support your claim?

I think he was just ass talking, but I can think of a way in which psvr really is way ahead of all the others: Platform holder support. The first party's premiere aaa exclusive is supporting their headset fully. I can't think of a squarely comparable case with any other headset. It would be like valve announcing half life 3 for vr.

Now that im thinking, the accessibility advantage the psvr enjoys over the other headsets is perhaps huge. But that's not a concrete thing like the first party support being demonstrated here.

Hoo-doo

Banned
If done right and even modestly giving me 'presence' of actually barreling down the tarmac in a Bugatti, then i'm all the way sold. Killer app.

SparkTR

I think he was just ass talking, but I can think of a way in which psvr really is way ahead of all the others: Platform holder support. The first party's premiere aaa exclusive is supporting their headset fully. I can't think of a squarely comparable case with any other headset. It would be like valve announcing half life 3 for vr.

Now that im thinking, the accessibility advantage the psvr enjoys over the other headsets is perhaps huge. But that's not a concrete thing like the first party support being demonstrated here.

May not be as robust, but Oculus have their own first party studios that have been working on games for over a year and a half as well as third party exclusivity funding deals, I imagine they're announcing that stuff at a future event much like how Sony did today. I'm not sure if Valve are going to release stuff for the Vive though.

Hoo-doo

Banned
May not be as robust, but Oculus have their own first party studios that have been working on games for over a year and a half as well as third party exclusivity deals, I imagine they're announcing that stuff at a future event much like how Sony did today. I'm not sure if Valve are going to release stuff for the Vive though.

The stuff that Oculus showed is really not comparable to one of gaming's biggest franchises putting their weight behind VR.

Zaptruder

Banned
The stuff that Oculus showed is really not comparable to one of gaming's biggest franchises putting their weight behind VR.

It's not. But it has the potential to be more important and impactful.

I mean PC already has Project Cars and Assetto Corsa, so it's not without it's premium racing car game solutions.

Of course Gran Turismo has incredible global brand awareness, perhaps moreso than VR as a whole combined.

But it ultimately only still appeals to gamers (and car enthusaists).

If their social VR stuff (Toybox, Medium, etc) lives up to its promise... it'll essentially allow people of all sorts to understand the value of VR beyond gaming.

mario_O

I've played Asseto Corsa and Project Cars with Oculus' DK2 (1080p) and it's not nice; everything except the cockpit, and the cars right in front of you, is a blurry mess. I hear Sony's headset is a bit better @1080p, it looks sharper. Still not sure if its going to be enough for a realistic looking racing game.

tuxfool

Banned
I've played Asseto Corsa and Project Cars with Oculus' DK2 (1080p) and it's not nice; everything except the cockpit, and the cars right in front of you, is a blurry mess. I hear Sony's headset is a bit better @1080p, it looks sharper. Still not sure if its going to be enough for a realistic looking racing game.

Luckily both Oculus and the Vive are targeting a higher resolution and frame rate.

Zaptruder

Banned

You're kinda right. The resolution is low across a large FOV, and you really need/want that resolution for the kind of focus areas that you see in driving games quite often (i.e. into the distance at the next turn and apex).

The distance at which you can visually and reliably resolve the direction and angle of a corner is cut from hundreds of meters down to dozens of meters.

On the other hand, after a lap or two, it's not that big a deal - my monitor and VR racing times are very similar (within tens or hundreds of ms after dozens of laps).

And I do absolutely prefer VR racing even with low resolution to monitor racing with high resolution. It's just so much more incredibly immersive, more fun, and provides a better feeling of the car and the track.

It'll only get better... and when it crosses your threshold of acceptability, you'll find it hard to go back as well.

60 (reprojected to 120hz)
90hz native
120hz native

Those are the three rendering outputs PlayStation VR is capable of.

Pretty sure 60hz native should be among those options.

They've provided the reprojection tech, but I don't recall seeing them state that this was mandatory.

Dazza

I have a few friends that eat this right up, they bought all bought Playstations just for Gran Turismo and nothing else, ie it was their one game machine. They'll happily drop over a thousand for a PS4, PSVR and steering wheel

etta

my hard graphic balls

Lol, c'mon, Vihugi... you better than this.
Not to mention that light years is a measurement of distance.

Top Bottom