• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR will support non-VR games in some form.

Moosichu

https://youtu.be/6K2_x2YaqSw?t=3m21s

(3:21)

Shuhei Yoshida said:
That's a secrets. The hardware team have pretty much completed their work, but the software team are hard at work on those system features. That's why we are not showing the system UI or the non-VR gaming experience when you have PlayStation VR and that will come soon, in the future.

What do you think this means? I'm gonna guess the obvious and there is some kind of 'big-screen' mode where regular games are rendered onto a virtual cinema-screen that you can view in VR.

What do you think this means? I'm gonna guess the obvious and there is some kind of 'big-screen' mode where regular games are rendered onto a virtual cinema-screen that you can view in VR.
That would be pretty neat and be even more interesting. PS VR wouldn't be limited by VR games.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
num num num

AndyD

aka andydumi

It's probably this theater option you mention. Though it would be interesting to see some games have limited/minor compatibility, to say add the HUD in a 3D separated layer from the main game screen.

Toki767

So it'll be like Xbox One support for Oculus I'm guessing. A virtual living room with the game on a virtual screen.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Probably just as useless as the XBO/Oculus combo.

Watch console games in a virtual room instead of your own, actual room.
Oh, and the total resolution of the 'virtual' TV is probably so low it's completely pointless.

Moosichu

Goes without saying, really. Movies and sports broadcasts could be system sellers

Yeah, but I was wondering if the PS4 had the extra room and grunt in it to do that VR stuff on top of rendering full blown regular games. Also, the game frame-rate is going to have to be decoupled from the virtual cinema frame-rate as if they were coupled that would cause major nausea. Then the question is, is the 'cinema' going to be rendered at 60, 90 or 120fps?

Toparaman

Banned
If this means you won't need a TV/monitor to play PS4 games in 1080p, this really adds significantly to the value proposition.

majik13

would be cool to just lie straight back in bed or the couch, but still play comfortably with a big virtual screen on your ceiling.

Why would anyone want to watch TV from the headset?

I see the appeal for games on VR, but why TV?

the above. And any reason why people love offsceen play on WiiU. Maybe someone else is using the TV? Only have a small non HDTV, traveling. etc.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
would be cool to just lie straight back in bed or the couch, but still play with a big virtual screen on your ceiling.

Yep, it's perfect for my bedroom where I have only a small tv.

Goodness me. I hope this means support for non VR PS4 games to be viewed with the headset. I play games at night only while the wife watches her TV shows so that's perfect.

Nzyme32

Not sure how this is unexpected. Movies / Storytelling / Experiences / Events / Broadcasts etc etc should all be possible amongst many other things

Probably just as useless as the XBO/Oculus combo.

Watch console games in a virtual room instead of your own, actual room.
Oh, and the total resolution of the 'virtual' TV is probably so low it's completely pointless.

I'll tweet Shu and tell him not to bother. You're right, no way is this of any value and will certainly be poorly executed.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I think you heard him wrong, the question was what features of the PS4 UI will PSVR use (shareplay, live streaming,etc), and he was saying that they hadn't yet finalized what the experience will be like when you're not playing a VR game and are using the menus.

eFKac

From what I understand Shu meant non-VR gaming, not non-gaming features.

Well if you ask me, if it's something similar to the Xbone - Occulus compatibility they may as well not bother. Like the only ones who's appriciate such a feature would be people without a TV I guess?

Elandyll

Banned
Interesting, but I hope it's not just a Virtual Cinema thingy.

Personally, I welcome the thought of playing games/ watching movies on a (virtual) 20 feet wide screen, I'm just more excited for the true VR experiences.
I just hope the visual quality won't take (too much of) a dive.

Didn't everybody laugh when Microsoft announced that for Oculus? It's so pointless, you have a lot lower resolution when doing so compared to just playing on your TV.

People laughed because afaik that was the only "virtual" thing the Occuslus would do with the XB1.

MUnited83

For you.
The Virtual cinema thing would be alright if it wasn't for the lost resolution :(. It's something that can be fixed on PC by the magic on downsampling, but in the case of consoles you're just losing a big quantity of IQ. Still, I guess it has its uses.

Steel

Banned
I'll tweet Shu and tell him not to bother. You're right, no way is this of any value and will certainly be poorly executed.

It wouldn't hurt. And, on top of that, at least you'd be able to use the headset instead of a screen if for some reason you don't have a TV around.

Hoo-doo

Banned

It's a gimmick that has been available for Oculus DK2 for a while now, in the form of VR theaters and such. The VR 'virtual room' is an interesting tech demo, not a selling point or a legitimate way to watch TV content.

I'd imagine if they tailor-made movies for VR or something, then I could see this being quite interesting.

Shin-Ra

I wonder if the PDM's rendered through 120Hz VR, and how much 3D rendering there'll be in the background and foreground interface itself.

DrXym

If you can play PS4 games on some kind of virtual "big screen", look forward to them running at a lower horizontal and vertical res with weird pixellation issues.

Reallink

How is the resolution a lot lower?

The resolution is 960x1080, the optics eat up a lot of that with dead space around the edges (PSVR is a cheap, inferior, single screen design with no IPD adjustments), and the virtual screen/theater (for 2D games) would only take up a small fraction of what's left. You're looking at literal SD quality, if not lower, in practice.

Freeman

Banned
Virtual screen\cinema, could be cool. Its probably something that doesn't demand to much effort to implement and people my find useful.

I think I could easily use it to watch movies in my bed, I do it with my tablet but I can never find a really comfortable position. If I could just rest my head on the pillow as if I was going to sleep and see a virtual screen above me I'd probably use it.

It also would be an easy way to watch a 3D movie.

If you could get PlayStation Vue and get miniatures of what is on various channel so you could chose what you want to see it could be useful. The reason I barely watch TV is because it takes ages to find something I want to see.

The resolution might not be ideal now but it will eventually be, so they might as well get a head start with the application.

Planetarium presentations would work really well on this as well.

Having a NFL app with all angles of a play available around you would be cool, even if not very practical.

Not related to the topic but Resogun where the stage is all around you with those particle effects would be the coolest thing ever. In my face please.

If you think you'll be playing non-VR games on the PSVR headset be prepared for disappointment: the OLED screen is full HD, but it covers most of your field of view. If you render a virtual TV at a comfortable viewing distance so that you're not having to move your eyes too much to see the whole picture it's going to be sub-SD quality.

What proportion of your FOV is going to be filled with the virtual TV screen? Less than a quarter, I'd bet.

180 or 360 degree VR video playback: yes
Virtual cinema mode at some shit resolution: no

I have a feeling you might be misreading into it. The games themselves might be VR only. By saying Non-VR Gaming, he might be referring to experience that are not games, such as that demo they showed at PGW for The Walk (where people walked over the rope) or the partnership they announced at the GDC 2014 reveal where they said they teamed up with NASA to walk on Mars using the photos taken by the rovers. In other words, he's saying Non-VR Gaming. Not Non-VR Gaming. If that makes sense.

Top Bottom