• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crew Wild Run |OT| Never Drive Alone

Aerocrane

1T3bZ8n.png

Developer: Ivory Tower
Publisher: Ubisoft
Genre: Open World Racing
Platforms: PS4, Xbox One, PC (DRM: Uplay)
Release date: 17th of November
Price: 24.99$/29.99€
Also available in:
The Crew Wild Run Edition (base game + expansion)
The Crew Complete Edition (base game + expansion + season pass)
The Crew requires a permanent internet connection!
Wild Run is an expansion pack, you need a copy of The Crew to play it!
Wild Run does not include any of the content from the Season Pass!

ynQlqbJ.jpg

Wild Run invites you to take on the Summit. It's a monthly tournament that pits you against thousands of other players in a variety of events.
To make it to the Summit, you need to participate in the qualifiers and show that you've got the skills. Once you make it, you can participate
in PvE and PvP missions and Skill challenges to climb the rankings. Every event gives you points that go towards your overall Summit score.
The top players will receive a special price: exclusive vehicles. Don't miss your change to win one, as the prizes change each month.

CHevz2p.jpg

Wild Run introduces new cars, new specs and a entirely new type of vehicles: bikes! The new specs are Monster Trucks, Dragsters and Drift
Cars. You can modify both the new cars from Wild Run and old cars from the base game with these new specs. Stunts, drag racing and drifting
are exciting new event types that you can take part in with these new specs. They are sure to provide a fresh challenge even to seasoned
players. The addition of the fast and agile bikes brings a new feeling of thrill to the game. Just like cars, the bikes can also be modified
to different specs for different types of racing and environments.

PGvzqww.jpg

Freedrive Stunts are stunt challenges that you can take on in any vehicle anywhere on the entire map during freeroam. There are a wide
variety of stunts for you to take on and you can participate in these challenges both when playing solo and when playing with your friends in
a crew. The game will serve you increasingly difficult stunts one after another until you run out of time before meeting the goal. You earn more
money for clearing more difficult stunts. The game selects the stunts based on the vehicles you own. When you are in a crew, the game will give
you a "personal goal" or a "collaborative goal". To complete a stunt with a personal goal you need everyone in your crew to complete their own
goal to complete the level. With a collaborative goal everyone is contributing to a larger goal to complete the challenge. The stunts vary from
simply driving a certain distance within a time limit to getting a certain amount of airtime or smashing a certain amount of objects around the world.
Freedrive Challenges are custom instant races between players. The race courses are based on 1 to 10 checkpoints that you can set around the
map as you wish. There is a minimum distance between checkpoints, but no maximum. The races are held in the open world, so you will see
other players and you can get the cops after you. All specs and vehicles can be used and you can change vehicles during the race. To start a race,
first you must lay down your route with checkpoints. Then you can invite up to three other players from either your crew or your freeroam session to
participate in your race. You get better rewards depending on how long the race is, and everyone gets their share.

4nQIrzA.jpg

Along with the launch of Wild Run the game will receive a graphics overhaul and new dynamic weather system which will be free for all players
as a update. Changing weather conditions from sunny to rain will challenge drivers as the handling on wet roads is more slippery. Handling model
has gone through some other changes as well with a update to the aerodynamics, tire models and steering responsivity which should provide an
improved driving experience. To go with this weather update, cockpit view of the cars have been updated with functional windscreen wipers.
Engine sounds have been improved both for the new cars coming with Wild Run and for the old cars included in the base game. The game's UI
also gets a fresh coat of paint with a new, simpler and clean looking interface.

rpMF5ow.jpg

Gamespot
Gaming Age
Cheat Code Central
God is a Geek
COGconnected
Softpedia
We Got This Covered
ZTGD
oIawhjt.jpg

E3 Announcement Trailer
The Summit Trailer
The Secrets of a Wild Journey Trailer
Screenshots:

Aerocrane

I don't have the game but I won't let your drive alone

Well even if you bought the game and wanted to drive alone the game wouldn't really let you as it populates the area around you with other players automatically :D Of course the game doesn't force you to interact with other players.

I've been watching the previews for this on the team VVV youtube channel. The guy seems awfully critical of it, even said he preferred the old graphics and that the handling model hasn't changed enough. Honestly, I think the guy that runs the channel is usually very objective and fair. So I'm going to be very cautious on this one, though I did pick up the original.

I think a better way of rebooting this would be telling us that you can play it offline. That would also differentiate meaningfully and significantly, from the new NFS game, which is also an always online, open world, car modding title.

I've been watching the previews for this on the team VVV youtube channel. The guy seems awfully critical of it, even said he preferred the old graphics, and honestly, I think the guy that runs the channel is usually very objective and fair.
Woah, really? Whats the trade-off here with the new visuals? What little I've seen looked like an improvement across the board.

I'm interested in this, but DC's Bikes expansion got me first ;p Still, will follow this and probably jump in at some point down the line.

I wonder if this'll be available for purchase on XB1 tonight.

Xbox store updates on Monday nights, and I think that's when Awesome Max went up for sale.

Aerocrane

I've been watching the previews for this on the team VVV youtube channel. The guy seems awfully critical of it, even said he preferred the old graphics and that the handling model hasn't changed enough. Honestly, I think the guy that runs the channel is usually very objective and fair. So I'm going to be very cautious on this one, though I did pick up the original.

I think a better way of rebooting this would be telling us that you can play it offline. That would also differentiate meaningfully and significantly, from the new NFS game, which is also an always online, open world, car modding title.

The Crew is a bit different in terms of car modification with the different specs completely transforming the cars and their abilities. I do agree about making the game playable offline. The way the game is right now is very similar to Test Drive Unlimited, even to the point that during the tutorial phase your gameworld is populated by AI drivers with random names just like in TDU. While the game is marketed as a car MMO, it's not really all that much of a upgrade from the online gameplay in TDU and there is little reason for the game being always online.

Caayn

Looking forward to this. Just started playing the base game again and I'm really enjoying myself.

Still using the Nissan 370z....

Edit: I think that if the default handling settings were a bit different that the game would've done a lot better.

I have so many questions about this.. will try to formulate them in a bit. I'm very tempted to get this, hated the original The Crew because of the driving mechanics and ugly graphics. Both seem to have been overhauled in The Wild Run. And I've just never been able to experience that Test Drive Unlimited style of racing since so yeah.. Will I enjoy this if I didn't like the base game from the beginning?

Aerocrane

Will I enjoy this if I didn't like the base game from the beginning?

It really depends on what you disliked about the original release. If you disliked how the map was peppered with those skill challenges, you can turn them off from UI settings even in the base game. If you disliked the story, that's too bad as while the expansion doesn't seem to continue the story, it won't be a alternative to it really either. If you disliked the handling model, wait for the release and some impressions, as Ubisoft have stated that they have worked on improving the handling model.

nikos

Nice OT!

Never completed the original, so this is the perfect time to get back on. Looking forward to it!

Kezen

Banned
I'll give the game another go thanks to the graphics upgrade. The original game has atrocious AA on PC, I found TXAA being the only one truly improving IQ.

Woah, really? Whats the trade-off here with the new visuals? What little I've seen looked like an improvement across the board.

I'm interested in this, but DC's Bikes expansion got me first ;p Still, will follow this and probably jump in at some point down the line.

Yeah, I don't have time to find the specific video now since I'm working on a paper that's due for tomorrow, but it was one of the latest ones on his channel. With that said he does seem to enjoy the game, especially just driving around, doing nothing in particular, but his videos aren't very convincing if you're looking for a substantial departure from the original, which is a shame.

I do agree though, I think it looks better too. I remember he used the word 'pixelated', so I guess one would have to play it, rather than watch it on youtube, in order to really understand.

thenameDS

Looking forward to buying this soon, never bought the original. Seems that in the UK only GAME are selling it and I really hate making purchases from there.

Looking forward to buying this soon, never bought the original. Seems that in the UK only GAME are selling it and I really hate making purchases from there.

GAME are also charging £40 for it while in the US the crew & wild run combo is only $40.

You can most likely find the crew for cheap on it's own and buy the DLC and save money.

atr0cious

Played the beta and it's everything I could ever want in a Cruis'N USA remake. Just changing the vehicle you drive gives you different routes, so while I started with a drift car, one I got into the Rockies, I switched to a truck and the waypoint just pointed off the side of the road. Had me driving down the side of the Rockies dodging trees and having a blast. All the while my crew mate on a bike is taking a completely different route, and we still meet up pretty nicely down the road. Hoping they smoothed out the glitches with the challenge system, as I'd really like to do the challenge across the country alone, but other than that, I'm looking at this like Guild Wars. Hopefully, I can find a cheaper key somewhere($40s not bad)but with all the delays, this is my must buy for the holidays.

I enjoyed my (somewhat limited) time with The Crew last year. I'm looking forward to giving it a go tomorrow to see the improved visuals and if the expansion is offered at a decent price in Canadian bucks, I may just pull the trigger on that too.

Karak

Got my copy from UBI to test out tomorrow. Honestly not a fan of the original but these changes are very interesting

Oneself

I enjoyed my (somewhat limited) time with The Crew last year. I'm looking forward to giving it a go tomorrow to see the improved visuals and if the expansion is offered at a decent price in Canadian bucks, I may just pull the trigger on that too.
Full game (physical) is 49.99$. Expansion alone should be 30$

DJ_Lae

I know what I'm putting that October credit towards - wonder what the Canadian premium will be once it's up - I'd guess $30.

KRaZyAmmo

I'm still on the fence on whether to purchase or not. I enjoy the new NFS but I also still enjoyed the crew. I also need to see the new graphical update.

I've been watching a lot of videos and it looks like an awesome playground to race in, or do stupid events with friends like king of the mountain. I'm really excited for this tonight. I hope Best Buy lets me have this when I pick up Battlefront.

thenameDS

GAME are also charging £40 for it while in the US the crew & wild run combo is only $40.

You can most likely find the crew for cheap on it's own and buy the DLC and save money.

Yea since I still have a little backlog and Battlefront this week I can hold out till after Christmas. By then it will be heavily discounted since I don't see it selling much, unfortunately.

The Wild Run is up for purchase and download on Xbox One.

It looks like they've jacked the prices for the XB1 (and presumably PS4):

$40 Wild Run
$70 Wild Run + Crew
$100 Wild Run + Crew + Season Pass

I was willing to drop $60 on the Complete Edition, but I think I'm out at these prices.

Nevermind. Those were Australian prices. It's gone from the U.S. store. Either it was their goof that they fixed, or I goofed. Sorry for the false alarm.

VanWinkle

$40 Wild Run
$70 Wild Run + Crew

I was willing to drop $60 on the Complete Edition, but I think I'm out at these prices.

Well, that's ridiculous.

Certinty

$40 Wild Run
$70 Wild Run + Crew

Haha what? Holy shit Ubisoft.

Wild Run is £25 alone in the UK, sorry but I'm not paying that for an expansion for any game when I could pretty much put a bit more and get a full new retail game. Even £20 was a hard sell given how many other games there are in this busy gaming period.

Looking forward to the graphics upgrade and weather but Wild Run can fuck off for that price.

Kemal86

$40 Wild Run
$70 Wild Run + Crew

Woah. Wasn't it markedly cheaper like...earlier today??

$40 Wild Run
$70 Wild Run + Crew

This can't possibly be right. The physical game (Crew + Wild Run) is only $39.99.

Top Bottom