• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crew Wild Run |OT| Never Drive Alone

Really tempted to get this. When it was announced The Crew seemed like a game I'd love, it wasn't based on the demo. The DLC and update makes it look like it might be something worth buying especially at this price point and being a GCU member.

nikos

I've applied the update but haven't purchased Wild Run because it's not yet available in the US. Here are some initial PS4 impressions.

There are times when the game definitely looks better, and others when it doesn't seem like there's a huge difference. There's still aliasing, which is disappointing but expected when you consider the size of the map. Motion blur has also been added, which will please some but disappoint others. At first, it seemed like certain areas of the map benefited more than others, but I think it depends more on time of day and lighting conditions.

Handling doesn't seem much different, but I'm comparing using an upgraded Mini Cooper that I haven't driven in months. Test drove a couple of bikes at the dealer and they felt a lot better than expected, which is important to me. Also played on some of the ramps outside of Las Vegas and it sort of reminded me of the stunts in San Francisco Rush.

Judging from initial impressions, the game still isn't perfect but it's fun. I'm sort of glad I never finished the game because I'll now be able to do so with the improvements. I'll have some better impressions after the expansion is released in the US.

Nokterian

Nice OT! Now can someone help me to get my NAT Open? It is moderate and this is on PC by the way it is very strange since on PS4 with Black Ops 3 it is open.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Don't know if it's been posted yet but HERE.

Looks pretty damn good.

PC footage most likely.

Aerocrane

Some random thoughts from playing the game after the patch (I haven't bought the expansion yet):

It seems the competitor AI has gotten dumber since I last played. They will drive past you and then after a bit just stop to let you by again. When driving on the highway the AI might drive right in the middle of the road, crashing into every lamppost and still be way faster than you. Also you might watch the AI drive through the lampposts with the sound effect of crashing into them playing while the lampposts stand tall. The AI also seems to be capable of teleporting. After a AI car that was 20km ahead of me in a long race crashed, it lost it's lead in a couple minutes. After driving on for another 10km or so, I checked how far the other cars were and the game showed the AI I passed as being 64km behind which was impossible.

U2NUMB

Any word on achievements / trophies being added?

Edit: So far the answer seems to be no... stupid just stupid. Should be without a doubt included.

Aerocrane

It seems you can purchase the new cars without owning Wild Run. You can only use the standard specs and to use the new three "Extreme" specs you need Wild Run.

This does make Wild Run seem even more expensive. 30€ for three "Extreme" specs, some motorbikes and their specs, The Summit and Freedrive Stunts and Freedrive Challenges.

EDIT: Confirmed. I just bought a Subaru BRZ and put Performance spec on it and I don't own the Wild Run expansion.

It seems you can purchase the new cars without owning Wild Run. You can only use the standard specs and to use the new three "Extreme" specs you need Wild Run.

This does make Wild Run seem even more expensive. 30€ for three "Extreme" specs, some motorbikes and their specs, The Summit and Freedrive Stunts and Freedrive Challenges.

EDIT: Confirmed. I just bought a Subaru BRZ and put Performance spec on it and I don't own the Wild Run expansion.

I need to do this tonight in case it's an error :p

Kezen

Banned
The game runs better with the graphical update than it did before. I'm no longer experiencing unexplainable slowdows here and here. MSAA/TXAA kills my framerate of course, I have to settle for FXAA.

IQ is therefore not very good but 60fps is sustained, everything else maxed.

The game is not exactly a tour de force but it looks alright.

Lima

Any word on achievements / trophies being added?

Edit: So far the answer seems to be no... stupid just stupid. Should be without a doubt included.

The base game takes like 150 hours to get all achievements. I think this has enough.

VanWinkle

I've applied the update but haven't purchased Wild Run because it's not yet available in the US. Here are some initial PS4 impressions.

There are times when the game definitely looks better, and others when it doesn't seem like there's a huge difference. There's still aliasing, which is disappointing but expected when you consider the size of the map. Motion blur has also been added, which will please some but disappoint others. At first, it seemed like certain areas of the map benefited more than others, but I think it depends more on time of day and lighting conditions.

Handling doesn't seem much different, but I'm comparing using an upgraded Mini Cooper that I haven't driven in months. Test drove a couple of bikes at the dealer and they felt a lot better than expected, which is important to me. Also played on some of the ramps outside of Las Vegas and it sort of reminded me of the stunts in San Francisco Rush.

Judging from initial impressions, the game still isn't perfect but it's fun. I'm sort of glad I never finished the game because I'll now be able to do so with the improvements. I'll have some better impressions after the expansion is released in the US.

There was motion blur already in the game.

RawNuts

I thought for sure that the Hummer would have had a monster truck spec for it, but no. However, I am pleasantly surprised that the GT-R has all the new specs for it.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
BADRIFs.jpg

Vroom vroom gais :3

If anybody wants to party up and run me through the basics hit me up:

Psn: bigbossmk23

BiGBoSSMk23

Impressions, yos

So far so good. Gameplay is smooth but I'm struggling to find the right setting for the controls.

I need someone to give me some pointers to fiddle .

Not sure what the difference between Sport and Hardcore is for the handling.

I'm guessing traction control and ABS?

Anyway, it's fun so far. Not as pretty as NFS but it's massive so who cares?!

Drewfonse

So far so good. Gameplay is smooth but I'm struggling to find the right setting for the controls.

I need someone to give me some pointers to fiddle .

Not sure what the difference between Sport and Hardcore is for the handling.

I'm guessing traction control and ABS?

Anyway, it's fun so far. Not as pretty as NFS but it's massive so who cares?!

Sounds good. Which system?

BiGBoSSMk23

Sounds good. Which system?

PS4.

UPD:

I'm really digging the slightly floaty weightiness of the car.

Reminds of motorstorm and having to predict how the physics would throw your car around when approaching a turn sideways.

Can't wait to get off-road and start getting some some mud in my windshield.

I'm trying to dial in the controls myself. I feel like I'm close but still getting oversteer.

I'm open to suggestions, and I'm not sure if that's the settings or it has to do with the RPG element of the game.

I'm using an XB1 controller with the following settings:

Hardcore
Steering Sensitivity 60%
Steering Linearity 20%
Steering Speed Factor 100%
Steering Dead Zone 0%
Throttle Linearity 50%
Braking Linearity 50%

BiGBoSSMk23

I'm trying to dial in the controls myself. I feel like I'm close but still getting oversteer.

I'm open to suggestions, and I'm not sure if that's the settings or it has to do with the RPG element of the game.

I'm using an XB1 controller with the following settings:

Hardcore
Steering Sensitivity 60%
Steering Linearity 20%
Steering Speed Factor 100%
Steering Dead Zone 0%
Throttle Linearity 50%
Braking Linearity 50%

I wanna know what these settings even mean before I touch them. I'm getting by okay with default by I wanna make it perfect.

I think the best way to get them perfect is through trial and error. Jack them to 0% and 100%, and then compare.

But The Crew Reddit and a few other sites have explanations.

Falchion

Looks good. I'm hoping The Crew goes on sale in the Xbox or Playstation Black Friday deals and then I'll grab this as well.

Dominator

Really only played about an hour last year when it came out, and I didn't hate it, but it didn't really grab me. I'm willing to give this one another shot, gonna pick it up in a few weeks. Looking forward to it.

Already got the Platinum for the new NFS so need another racing game.

BiGBoSSMk23

Add me -> PSN: GuerrillaDawg

Added ya

I think the best way to get them perfect is through trial and error. Jack them to 0% and 100%, and then compare.

But The Crew Reddit and a few other sites have explanations.

Thanks I'll get fiddling. I appreciate the game having so many options!

GKB

I tried the beta version of the base game, but i don't really like the story part. Can i unlock/buy all the cars without doing any story missions?

Basically i just want to explore and enjoy the scenery.

BiGBoSSMk23

I tried the beta version of the base game, but i don't really like the story part. Can i unlock/buy all the cars without doing any story missions?

Basically i just want to explore and enjoy the scenery.

The story so far is just an excuse for the game.

Feels comfortably tropey to get back in a big ole arcade racer with that.

BiGBoSSMk23

Anybody wanna crew up on PS4?

I kinda feel like I missed the train on this game.

Really hope the new visuals are halfway decent. The original game looked horrendous.

They're nearly the same. As mediocre/passable/just enough as before. Lighting is improved....... But.... MOSTLY, it's like they only applied a different ENB filter to the game. You may, or may not, like the changes. Personally I somewhat like the lighting better. It looks more natural to me, but know that pretty much half the people love it, and half actually hate it even more now, judging by the feedback on the official forums.

It does not matter though. Because the graphics are the same, therefore, if you didn't find them good before, you won't find them good now, as lighting itself can't make up for all the other areas that are subpar. You might like the lighting much more, but everything else that you did NOT like will also be there, unimproved.

I don't want to post a really huge post, I'm on my cellphone, just know that I've been playing games, and PC games, for a loooong time, and when I say there is no overhaul, it really is because there isn't. Besides the lighting that I explained above, the biggest improvement is........... That the NPC traffic cars now have see-through windows. Before they all had pitch black windows, now they're transparent, so they look quite better, but the traffic cars are still as low poly as before. ****Edit: working mirrors is an improvement as well, but it won't make the game itself look better, and does not count if like me you play in 3rd person.

You will not see higher-poly cars, no better anti-aliasing solution(s), no better LOD, except for fixes to extremely jarring LOD in certain snowy mountains, which were so jarring before they simply are fixed now, in my honest opinion. There are no improvements on textures, or foliage, all dirt roads are still the same texture, ALWAYS the same, whether you're on Pikes Peak, Nevada, near LA or near Detroit, there's no variation still, just like every road in the game has the same texture, everywhere in the map, just like every one of these roads have the same width between them (so all dirt roads have the same one width, all main asphalt roads have only one width, etc, etc), so basically it's still a copy paste job (like in TDU 1 and TDU2). There is a very small increase in trackside objects that are smashable like garbage bags, but no improvements on overall detail whatsoever.

The rain puddles look completely out of place due to their reflections which are absolutely unnatural, and there is no dynamic whether whatsoever, there's stages, and nothing is dynamic between them. It's sunny, screen gets dark, starts raining, then it gets super clear just as quickly as it starts raining. There's no transition from sunny to cloudy to rainy. You don't see gray clouds in the skybox before it rains, it just gets foggy and dark all of a sudden. I don't need a super realistic weather system, but it was even done so much better in TDU2, which is the most incredible part of all of this. There's nothing beyond rain. No storms, no fog-only, not even cloudy, the skyboxes are still static, as they were always.

I don't even want to go on. It's not an overhaul. It's not even close. This post of mine is Ubisoft's fault, purely their fault. If they had not advertised it as an overhaul, but merely as a small improvement, I would not be posting this. They deserve that I post this right here.

This series (TDU1, 2, and The Crew) are my biggest frustration EVER in gaming. On paper, they are my dream game. TDU1 was the first so it was awesome, and their first try, so it gets a pass. The Crew has this incredibly realized world, everything I ever wanted, a huge world, detailed, varied, with actual pedestrians too, but the team that made TDU and now The Crew has always failed at making the jump between satisfactory/mild/good graphics and gameplay execution, to GREAT gameplay execution and graphics. They can't make the jump. Their racing games are like a 7/10 all across the board, in sound, graphics, gameplay, and execution, but they were never able to achieve a sequel that actually took that 7/10 as a base and improved on it. They're not bad games, but....... They are not great. And in racing games, the great ones really grab the player, the passable ones... Are completely forgotten and look completely unfavourable against the better ones.

I wanted to post because I've been supporting these guys since TDU1, which was a great game (partly because it was the first of its kind by the studio, so it had nothing to be compared with), so I've really come to know what they are (and most of all, what they AREN'T) capable of. What could have changed what they were capable of, like an acquisition and a bigger budget, actually happened, and the end result was no better, as proven by the overall reaction of the public when The Crew came out.

I wanted to post as well because I feel really disgusted that Ubisoft advertised a visual overhaul when they never, NEVER, EVER EVER even planned or thought of doing one. I knew right when they announced the expansion that there would be no overhaul. I don't say this to brag, believe me, I'm just a guy that knows by intuition and experience and hundreds of hours of playing this franchise that there was no way they would pull off an overhaul. Graphics were never the team's strong suit, they didn't pull off incredible graphics in TDU1, 2 or the original The Crew, so it was plain clear to me it was NOT gonna be now that they'd finally make the jump, not on an expansion, not for a game that didn't sell that sell. I wanted to post not because I feel cheated on by their PR because I never believed them for a single second, but for all of you that trusted that improvements would really come to the visuals, for all of you, including the poster on the quote, that are still hoping or expecting something that was NEVER gonna happen. I don't want any of you to spend money expecting better graphics. Ubisoft doesn't deserve your money.

I've never complained in my life about false advertising in games. And honestly, I'm only poiting fingers at Ubisoft. I have nothing bad to say about the team that made The Crew or TDU. I think they have passion and try their best. Not everyone can make great games or graphics because it's actually an hard thing to accomplish. And you know, I do believe they try their best. I hope, truly, one day they make a racing game like these that's truly special. I'd be so happy, and I absolutely hope they prove me wrong in the future on what I said about their ability to make really, really great games.

Am I the only person who's pissed Wild Run isn't part of the Season Pass?

Seems like B.S. to me.

I might even pass on Wild Run because it turns out that all the attractive stuff is part of the free patch. The graphics engine and weather (which we already knew), but also some awesome cars like the RUF RT35 and Mazda RX7 are just buyable normally. You only need Wild Run for the new events and specs which don't really interest me.

RawNuts

What is this "smart loot" reward for doing challenges and how do I go about getting level 50 parts for my new specs now?

BiGBoSSMk23

I really need a guide breaking down exactly what each physics adjustment does in the controls menu.

Right now I'm rocking 75% steering sensitivity, 0 deadzone , 100% steering speed factor (whatever this means) and Hardcore help level.

Vegas looks great, except one thing that sticks out to me is the puddles and water on the ground. I know that this is the norm for racing games today, but ... it never rains in Las Vegas, and when it does it's either a flood or completely dry in 10 minutes.

Lima

Am I the only person who's pissed Wild Run isn't part of the Season Pass?

Seems like B.S. to me.

I mean it's not like they told you what is part of the season pass or anything. Besides you expect a $25 content in a $25 season pass? Yeah no

KRaZyAmmo

Hoping I can get use to this new physics. I have been playing tons of NFS lately. so I'mma have to switch it up every now and then between the two game.

Top Bottom