• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie updates Destiny patch notes after patch goes live due to decimal fail

TL;DR version at the top:
This was posted on November 19th
HryRwkg.png

This was changed just moments ago about 28 hours after the patch went live

So here is the actual story.

Destiny gets a weapon balance patch 3-4 times a year. We got a preview for some of these changes in the game last month. Of which most people started prepping for. However, after the patch went live yesterday, there were reports here and on Reddit that the changes in the patch weren't adding up. A weapon that was supposed to receive a 9% nerf, actually received a 19% nerf. Other weapons seemed to not have any changes at all that were supposed to. Then a couple hours ago we got this: https://twitter.com/sharkeatsman/status/674704401785708544

Tested and confirmed that the 2.1.0 Auto Rifle changes are indeed active in Destiny. We'll talk soon!

Which really had us scratching our heads. Bungie is telling us the buffs/nerfs actually happened, despite us not seeing any changes ourselves. Now, a few moments ago someone noticed the patch notes have changed and decimal points have been added. What was a 4% increase is now a .04% increase, which means absolutely nothing.

A weapon that was doing 12 damage per bullet (18 on crit) is still going to do 12 damage per bullet (18 on crit) with a .04% change.

So what the crap is actually going on here?

I mainly want to highlight Bungie's terrible communication with their playerbase here. This is not the first time we've been left to wonder what is actually going on, and I'm a bit ashamed for them that they've tried to backpeddle on this in such a way.
-------------------------

As a side note, this most recent patch has certainly been one of the roughest for Bungie. Lot of bugs and errors have been found, and have the game in quite a messy state. Undocumented changes can be found here.

Update 1: Deej's boss is now involved
X14tXMI.png

trying to keep my snark aside....

Shame on you, Bungie.

We waited months for this weapons balance. You cannot defend this. Uncharted beta has been out for a week and has received more game balances in one week than destiny in one year.

Some #truthfacts right here.

RexNovis

Banned
Hahahahahahahahah whaaaaaaat?!? I bet everyone who was building up an auto rifle Arsenal in expectation do the latch is super pissed right now. Oh man I can't believe this.

So instead of owning up to a bug, they made it look like it was supposed to be 0.04%? WOW. That's a new low in patch notes.

phen0m24

I for one, or at least nearly 1, .0100% approve this message.

;)

Gotta call them out on this one. Good post, Kor.

If they honesty, truly forgot to put in the decimal points (not buying it), then whoever made that mistake should be fired. No excuses.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
This is pretty amazing. I admit that I was looking forward to bringing my Zhalos and Red Specter out more often, but this is more than a bit deflating.

You'd think by now people would realize that once its out there on the internet.....you can't take it back or stealth edit something that huge. Smh.

E92 M3

My feels from the OT:

LOL instead of admitting to a mistake they edit patch notes and think the community are too stupid to figure out what's going on?

Bungie I have always been a huge supporter, but this beyond embarrassing. What bozo over thought it's ok to purposely lie and edit the patch notes?

Pulses get nerfed like crazy and ARs get buffed by 0.04%?

LMAO​

I blame the imperial system in the US. On second thought, US 3rd graders still know how decimal points work.

I can't wait for their big summer sale where emotes are discounted .005 %

LTWood12

My feels from the OT:

LOL instead of admitting to a mistake they edit patch notes and think the community are too stupid to figure out what's going on?

Bungie I have always been a huge supporter, but this beyond embarrassing. What bozo over thought it's ok to purposely lie and edit the patch notes?

Pulses get nerfed like crazy and ARs get buffed by 0.04%?

LMAO​

Major Weapon Rebalancing

Kappa

While I very much enjoy the game of Destiny, I've always taken issue with their PR team. There has always seemed to be a disconnect between Bungie and the Community since just before Destiny launched, and that has always bothered me because I know they can do better.

mikeebi3

If they honesty, truly forgot to put in the decimal points (not buying it), then whoever made that mistake should be fired. No excuses.
knee jerk that could destroy worlds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpndHtdl9A

Even if it was a mistake, it's not that big of a deal. They can add in an edit note or something, but definitely not worth someone losing their job over. At least they made the edit and didn't just try to slip it under the rug and let players find out themselves eventually.

There is obviously a lot more going on here than just shifting a decimal point.

We know this patch has been in testing for a while. There is no way someone didn't point out that these changes are literally nothing.

Even the patch notes edit isn't wrong, necessarily. They should update the patch to reflect what actually happened in the game.

The problem comes from them telling us that this was the plan all along, when it very obviously wasn't.

Yeah, but that's the point of having a beta, to balance the game before release. Doing post-release balance adjustments is actually harder due to the player base already having invested hours into the game.

Still, LOLBUNGIE.

Does anyone remember how many times Bungie changed things up during the Destiny Beta last year?

I know it was two weeks long, but I can't remember if they actually changed anything during the beta, or if it was all between Beta and release.

lt519

This is a screw up of epic proportions and I love that they are covering it up. Big supporter of Bungie but...LMAO Percentages are hard

Remember that 70 pages long design document about balancing sniper rifle in Halo 2 ?

common thing the guy keep saying was : don't change anything for less than 10%, you want to feel the change but you won't feel any changes...

They keep buffing and nerfing auto or pulse rifle fire rate for about 3 to 4%... But why ?

3% of fire rate in a game a 30 fps, with guns killing you in half a second, the 4% nerf or buff will be absorbed by the netcode lag buffer anyway: it's not even a 2 frame differences in actual combat : utterly pointless change, it feels like they only changes stuff for good PR

Meanwhile sunbreakers titan keep dominating PVP with insanely OP super

lt519

I cannot conceive how someone could think editing the notes was a good idea.

Well technically you want your patch notes to reflect what was actually implemented not what you intended to implement. They'll hot-fix and those will have a separate set of notes. It's just hysterical the mistake they made and won't admit it as unintentional.

LTWood12

Well technically you want your patch notes to reflect what was actually implemented not what you intended to implement. They'll hot-fix and those will have a separate set of notes. It's just hysterical the mistake they made and won't admit it as unintentional.

Not before communicating you done goofed.

GhaleonEB

Bungie's communication with their community has been spotty to poor over the past year, but this is really kind of amazing. Updating patch notes to reflect the change after the fact - fine. Acting like it was intentional all along / not communicating or acknowledging the mistake and/or plan to fix it - baffling.

Top Bottom