• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie updates Destiny patch notes after patch goes live due to decimal fail

Jito

Banned
I'd be pissed if I still played this, but thanks to the lack of any meaningful updates or DLC on the horizon, I've not played in weeks.

Looking forward to that DeeJ post.

I'll save you some time.

Thanks to the support of our fans, Destiny saw record-setting Auto Rifle usage* and record global Auto Rifle kills** during the week of the December update.

*Update period of Dec. 5 – Dec. 10 in the U.S., based on internal Bungie data
**Period of Dec. 5 – Dec. 10 globally, based on internal Bungie data

Future

Stealth editting the old patch notes.... That's not only sleazy but literally the worst PR move they could have done in wake of all the errors ha

gai_shain

The Bungie Weekly Update is out to address this.

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=14179

Long and short of it, the numbers they updated are not the number we think they updated.

When they say base damage, they mean some number in a formula that gets hit with like 12 other variables.

Not the number we see as the output on the actual screen.

I read through some of the stuff at the link and I dont get it. So basically they changed stuff that will have ZERO impact in the game and it was intented? Or what are they trying to say with their formula?

I read through some of the stuff at the link and I dont get it. So basically they changed stuff that will have ZERO impact in the game and it was intented? Or what are they trying to say with their formula?

at the most that little change is one bullet less on a high HP mob or adds an extra foot to the damage drop off range, it's going to be no more then that.

Honestly, i can't tell.

I feel like he's telling us the damage change is noticed in DPS numbers instead of Base damage number, but he calls it base damage.

I really can't tell.

Armaros

Honestly, i can't tell.

I feel like he's telling us the damage change is noticed in DPS numbers instead of Base damage number, but he calls it base damage.

I really can't tell.

Its like they haven't even done what every other online game developer has done.

A standard of terms and definitions to convey patch-notes to players in away that makes sense and means something.

Like when Blizzard nerfs Fireball by 10% or Valve reduces a weapon's damage per bullet in CS:GO

Its like they haven't even done what every other online game developer has done.

A standard of terms and definitions to convey patch-notes to players in away that makes sense and means something.

Like when Blizzard nerfs Fireball by 10% or Valve reduces a weapon's damage per bullet in CS:GO

I honestly think at this point bungie has made such a convoluted mess of their system, that's it's hard to actually make changes.

Off the top of my head, here is every variable that would be calculated against a base damage value
  • Light Level
  • Drop Off Distance
  • Scaling level
  • Enemy Type (Normal/Major/Ultra)
  • Enemy Armor
  • Element
  • Crit check
  • Check for weapon perks from source
  • Check for defense perks from target

So lets say I'm level 40, and I fire a Hand Cannon that has a base damage of 80.
Except my Light Level is 310 so now Base Damage is 84.
Except my Enemy is far enough away so my Base Damage is now 67.
Except my enemy is level 38, so my Base damage is 65.
Except my enemy is a Major, so my Base Damage is 63.
Except my Enemy has an Arc Shield and I have a Kintetic weapon, so my base damage is 59.
Except I crit, so my base damage is 71. Except my weapon has a perk that says my impact is increased (I have no idea how much), so my base damage is 74.

Kalamari

Haha, that update. But why even waste time making a 0.04 percent change?

I'm so glad I freed myself from the grasp of this game.

Defuser

They're probably not going to do anything to the mistakes they made until the next quarterly update which means another 3 more months.
What a bunch of irresponsible dishonest lying incompetent scumbags, the weekly update just proves it, treating the community like a bunch of gullible idiots.

Top Bottom