• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you think the traditional controller will evolve?

The recent post about Nintendo’s patent featuring a controller with a free form display got me thinking: how could the traditional controller evolve through the use of emerging technologies? My current prediction is this: a touch screen controller, much like the one in the Nintendo patent, that has traditional analog sticks and no physical face buttons.

Looking at this image from the aforementioned thread reminded me of a 2 year old prototype from Tactus where a thin fluid is pressurized to create a bubble over certain areas to give the illusion of a physical button. When this technology evolves, coupling it with localized haptic feedback a la the Steam Controller seems like it could end up being a similar experience to pressing a physical button on a touch screen. I would prefer keeping a dual analog setup, though having the sticks be interchangeable from the 10 & 2 o'clock or 7 & 5 o'clock positions (think Playstation vs Xbox vs Nintendo Pro Controller placement) would be nice, too. A d-pad using the same technology as the face buttons would be interesting, though I don’t know how well it would perform.

With this format, you could adjust the placement and size of buttons to your heart’s content. You could use it to make your own 6 button pad by bringing the triggers down next to the face buttons or other various tweaks. This sort of customization would also greatly open the accessibility options for disabled gamers. Developers' integration of lighter second screen experiences lately (Smartglass, companion apps, etc.) would also be perfect for this without having to have a second device. It's a shame the idea is currently stranded on the Wii U gamepad at the moment.

Of course, there are some caveats to approaching the controller this way. The cost of doing something like this would make it unfeasible currently and the technologies aren’t quite there yet. Nailing the exact size and form factor of the controller will be difficult as well, as it needs to be big enough to allow large hands some customization without being too difficult for smaller hands to grasp. Triggers are difficult to handle and may work best as remaining physical buttons due to travel distance/gradual pressure for things like racing games. Lastly, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a large pushback from people asking, “Why change it at all?”

For what it’s worth, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with controllers currently. I’m just thinking about how they could possibly change in the future. Is my prediction far-fetched? Do you think controllers will head in an entirely different direction instead? Will they largely remain the same as they are now?

Dynasty

Biggest let down of the controller thus gen is no back paddles no being standard. So I would hope the PS5 and XB2 controller would include those from the beggining.

something like this charger, but wish it had depth perception and stuff
thatd be neat

sku_47975_5.jpg

bluexy

I really don't see controllers going the way Nintendo is imagining with the GamePad or that patent. If anything, trends are leading us to a two-controller setup with one in each hand.

Nintendo even really kicked the trend into overdrive with motion controller and analog stick. Now with both VR headsets making their own one-handed controllers and Sony bringing back the Move, it seems like the next big controller change.

That's pretty much going to erase the idea of touchpads, buttons or screens in the middle of controllers.

By the way, I wonder why nobody besides SpaceOrb 360 (circa 1996) decided to go with trackball/analog trigger multidirectional thingy.

img_071510-game-controllers-5_thumb555.jpg

The back paddles seem so obvious now with Steam controller and One Elite that it's strange it didn't come sooner. Being able to easily reach what is the equivalent of L1/L2/R1/R2 without moving your grip or hands at all is so functionally amazing.

I honestly don't know what more is needed. I like having buttons, but not too many. Gimmick changes for the sake of change often turn out poorly.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I don't expect much to change on the practical front, but I would hope that future controllers can put to use the three fingers on each hand that I don't use. Each finger of mine after the pointer finger is unused and rests behind the controller. If there were buttons there that could be used effectively, then that'd be great.

Six face buttons would actually be quite useful, to be honest. Pair it with a vita like Dpad, and you'd have a great controller for many action and fighting games.

I think the idea of rotary shoulder buttons from one of Nintendo's recent patents deserve to be there too.

Don't think I've seen this one but it sounds interesting.

I am all in favor of replacing the d-pad with something more useful.

The d-pad is already useful but I suppose it could be replaced by something that has more function like the Steam Controller trackpads.

something like this charger, but wish it had depth perception and stuff
thatd be neat

sku_47975_5.jpg

Can you detail what this is and what it does? Haven't seen it before and its functions aren't immediately apparent.

I really don't see controllers going the way Nintendo is imagining with the GamePad or that patent. If anything, trends are leading us to a two-controller setup with one in each hand.

Nintendo even really kicked the trend into overdrive with motion controller and analog stick. Now with both VR headsets making their own one-handed controllers and Sony bringing back the Move, it seems like the next big controller change.

That's pretty much going to erase the idea of touchpads, buttons or screens in the middle of controllers.

Hm, that's a fair guess. Using the wii + nunchuck was smooth and comfortable, and your points about VR are also relevant. Controllers could very well end up going this way.

By the way, I wonder why nobody besides SpaceOrb 360 (circa 1996) decided to go with trackball/analog trigger multidirectional thingy.

img_071510-game-controllers-5_thumb555.jpg

I've never seen this controller before, what an oddity. I'm not a huge fan of trackball mice but can see the utility here. Would take a while to get a feel for it though.

The start button will be back in the next consoles. Guarantee it.

I don't think they ever left, they were merely renamed. Probably would have made more sense to keep the traditional start button and replace the back/select button with the new "options" button, though.

I don't expect much to change on the practical front, but I would hope that future controllers can put to use the three fingers on each hand that I don't use. Each finger of mine after the pointer finger is unused and rests behind the controller. If there were buttons there that could be used effectively, then that'd be great.

The backpedals being posted solve this quite well. It's a very natural progression and makes you wonder why it took so long to get them. It makes so much sense.

More buttons in service to the games. I think we need six face buttons now.

Six face buttons would actually be quite useful, to be honest. Pair it with a vita like Dpad, and you'd have a great controller for many action and fighting games.

Yeah, seems like this is only for fightpads now. Makes me miss my Saturn controller.

phanphare

Banned
well going forward all controllers need a quality gyroscope in them. it's a really effective way to mask the shortcomings of an analog stick and allow a larger audience to partake in certain genres that require precise aiming.

and more buttons on the back of the controller like with the Xbox Elite controller.

also despite the perception of the Wii U gamepad controllers need a touch screen going forward. for more complicated games it's a great way to present menus. I imagine every WRPG out now would be greatly improved with a better way to parse through menus. also fuck pause screens. WWHD showed me the light with that, although I didn't realize it until I went back to play the GCN version.

I believe eventually it will resemble something like a zip-lock bag filled with sand that you squeeze and shift to control action and the sand-like substance inside will be able to become hot or cold or even heavier or lighter depending on what's going on.

Or it might be just like a PS4 controller but in a neon color.

Rezae

I like controllers the way they are - no need to get too gimmicky. Maybe some combination of the Xbox Elite and Wii U Pro controller. Both of those are top notch. Not a fan of the dualshocks at all, even though I've always been more of a Playstation guy.

I like the rotary shoulder buttons and the back pedals. I wouldn't mind those becoming core features going forward. I feel like the PS4 touchpad is a little too gimmicky. I'd prefer either no touchpad or a small, low detail touch screen. Nothing like the Wii U gamepad but rather something closer to the VMU I guess.

Arttemis

Refined, essentially instantaneous, gyroscopic functionality where precise, mouse-type control can be added to dual-analog controller design. Splatoon and Wind Wakee HD aiming with more subtle movements.

The touch pad on the Dualshock 4 is a great addition, too.

wont really evolve, that's why its called a "traditional" controller.

The traditional controller has evolved with each generation of consoles to include more buttons, different shapes, pressure-sensitive buttons, analog, etc. Controllers that would not be considered "traditional" would be peripheral controllers like the Power Glove, flight sticks, fight stick, wheels, the Move, and Kinect.

Perhaps whatever the primary controller we will use for games in the future will be far enough removed from current controllers that we'll have to re-evaluate what we refer to as original, but we're not there yet.

Just look at the Steam controller.

Fuck all this using the same basic layout from 1996. Fuck that. 20 years, and we're still using a souped up PS1 controller. Actually make some meaningful improvements instead of just slightly improving the existing formula.

The Steam controller is divine.

Oh and yeah the scroll wheel bumpers that Nintendo mentioned would be cool too.

RdN

I think the Elite controller is not the way to go.. It'll scare casual players.

I do find the Steam controller an interesting concept... But I don't see it getting much traction.

Realistically, as prices for LCD screens go down, I can see controller having a small touch screen. Imagine the PS4 controller, but instead of the track pad, it was a LCD touch screen able to reproduce some stuff? It would be pretty cool.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Well (IMO) the best thing going right now is the Steam controller. People that actually sit down, learn to set up profiles, learn what works, and takes the time to adapt to it are seeing how great of an input device it is. Unfortunately there will be more people who just plug it in click a profile and declare it sucks.

Also the VR controllers for VIVE and Rift will be very interesting.

Kurt

What would like to see is the Nintendo patent full haptic touchscreen aka :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUWy2GW7XQ4

This way you can feel the shape of the buttons & analog stick and you can define on the touchscreen what interface you could have. For instance you can have some sort of vertical scrolling wheel on the right (for specific games). Or you can show you items like bow, boomerang as button-icon instead of heaving the same color... Or that the full screen works like a ambient light system where it takes the color from the env where you are at the moment...

I know that touchscreen interface isn't that good. But that because you don't get any feedback from what you are pressing. This will change when they could implement the haptic feedback as shown in the youtube demo above. You can also feel the different between sand, water, metal...

And above all :
On the top scrolling wheels
A head-cold device. So when you are at a lava level, you can feel the heat.

Top Bottom