• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I realized i can never have a Nintendo console because of the reverse A+B nonsense

Dream-Knife

Banned
And either way regardless of Nintendo being the first their layout is worse. A is the first fucking letter on the alphabet (both the actual alphabet and the word), why is it at the right and not the bottom?
Games that use A for jumping and B for running feel like ass to play.
SMW used B for jumping, Y for running, and A was for the spin jump.

B and Y were the primary buttons on SNES. Hence why the 64 put A and B there respectively.

Moses85

Just remap it in settings
That would be to easy

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

I don't understand people who can't relearn controllers or know more than one controller. I literally play dozens of retro consoles and can adapt easily to every console I've ever played. The sixth generation was where I got used to today's controllers.

The three main consoles are literally the same controller, just with different markings of what each button does. It is so easy to just adjust. I don't know. I guess, just in my gaming life, this is a modern inconvenience and something that doesn't even get on my radar for being an issue.

Tams

A comes before B, so A is on top.
X comes before Y, so X is on top.

It's a game controller, not a sentence, so no, going from left to right is not the correct way.

tl;Dr: suck it up OP and get used to it. Or just remap them.

I understand you, and it happens, but it takes like 5 minutes to get used to it again, and I main an xbox controller too. Look it this way, it was Nintendo who used this layout first so.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Exact opposite on my side. Grew up with Nintendo in mid 90s and really got used to button naming.
That's why is really hard/confusing playing on Xbox controller for me no matter what.

Sakura

It's the opposite for me.
I pretty much played only Japanese Playstation games and they had the same layout as Nintendo up until the PS5, so it was like Nintendo and Sony doing the same layout, with Xbox being the odd man out (for me).

SenkiDala

For a very long time, i only game with an XBOX controller. I think since the mid 00s or so. My last console was the XBOX 360 and after that i focused on PC, with XBOX controllers. I also played a lot of Playstation stuff during those years but not much Nintendo stuff. The last Nintendo console i bought was the Wii and that didn't have a traditional controller anyway.

So, the bottom "A" or "X" button is always my jump/action/enter/make selection button. Basically, the "main" button. It's been like this for for me 20+ years. Even on the Gamecube which has a different placement, the main button is bigger in size than the rest so it's hard to miss and also on the N64, the "main" button is the bottom one just like on PS/XBOX controllers. I can't comment on the SNES because its been a million years since i played on a real console. But i still play on Gamecube/N64 with no issues.

Recently i had the chance to play on a Switch i borrowed and it was.... an interesting experience. Even after many hours of play i still couldn't get used to the reverse button prompts and placement. I would still press the wrong buttons all the time. I simply can't re-wire my brain after so many years this function is etched in my brain. But even if i could, then i would still have to re-re-wire every time i want to play something on a different system. And sure, you can change the controls on PC games but not on every XBOX/PS game.

That basically means i'm literally locked out of Nintendo consoles. The only viable solution is emulation, since you can change everything as you like it and there are even mods that change the on screen prompts for XBOX or PS controllers. But outside that, how do you guys manage? Can you jump from one standard to the other without issues? Is my brain limited so it's just me?
If you have a functional brain you should be able to remember at least 3 button mappings... I mean how do you type on a keyboard, you keep watching it again and again because there're more than 150 keys ?

I never understood people having problems like that. If you rarely play a system, let's say Nintendo systems like here, I can understand that you might need 10 to 20 minutes to adapt. But if you can't... The problem is you. :(

Just for information that binding isn't a nonsense, and it's the Xbox biding that is reversed. In Japan they read books from the right to the left, so for them it makes a lot of sense to have A and the right and B on the left, same for X and Y.

Oh also on PlayStation consoles in Japan O is to validate like "OK = O", and X is like "nope, cancel, go back", it is just that in Europe we changed it to X = OK (which is quite fucked up) and O is cancel (wtf?). Bonus the triangle button should have been to control / change the viewing angle / camera, and the square button was supposed to evoke a book and then to bring you into the menu/manual/documentation part of the game.

But don't worry you're not alone and this is why many gamers won't switch from Nintendo to Xbox to PlayStation or vice versa, because they're too used to their bindings, but at least usually people can play if they take 20 minutes to get used to the new binding.

RCU005

I don’t understand how can this be an issue. Just like how you get used to play each game differently, is not hard at all to get used to a different button placement.

SaintALia

That sounds pretty sad. I have no console allegiance, so I game across a variety of systems and have have used so many PC controllers with different button setups, so this has never really been a problem for me.

I never really thought about people getting so locked into one controller scheme that it becomes that difficult to switch to another controller setup.
Xbox copied the dreamcast.
And Dreamcast Copied the Super Famicom. Which was always a bit weird, since the Dreamcast controller was just basically just a bleached Nights Controller, which itself was a riff on the N64 controller. Sega did have that controller layout for a while though, starting with the Genesis six button pad, they just got rid of Z and C.

zMyCv1O.jpg

Edgelord79

Gold Member
There are no international standards for controller layout. If you can’t use the switch because of this and there is no way to customize the layout, well… move on.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
There are no international standards for controller layout. If you can’t use the switch because of this and there is no way to customize the layout, well… move on.

Isn't that what this topic is about? Nobody said there is an international standard, and the OP said that he can't handle the Nintendo layout and he is forced to move on.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Fella, just start playing. Your brain will figure it out in a few minutes.

It's OK to be picky, OP. As I grow older I'm becoming more and more particular about what device I allow to take up some of my free time, too. Even tiny annoyances are too much for me these days. Currently on the brink of removing all gaming devices as a result :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
On this one, it's a complete W on Nintendo's side for me.

Their layout is the original, the other is an intentionally inverted copy. And I like my PS5 but after all these years I still hate the 4-shapes with a passion.

MAtgS

I feel this should be obvious but Nintendo is Japanese and therefore read right to left.

Past that, the A button is labeled because it's meant to be the first and primary button. A is jump in Mario because that's what you do the most. Therefore it is the button close to the right edge of the controller so that it's the first button your hand reaches.

(Mind you, I say this as someone who's first Zelda was LA where the sword is defaulted to A instead of B so that what I'm used to.)

Marvel14

Banned
For a very long time, i only game with an XBOX controller. I think since the mid 00s or so. My last console was the XBOX 360 and after that i focused on PC, with XBOX controllers. I also played a lot of Playstation stuff during those years but not much Nintendo stuff. The last Nintendo console i bought was the Wii and that didn't have a traditional controller anyway.

So, the bottom "A" or "X" button is always my jump/action/enter/make selection button. Basically, the "main" button. It's been like this for for me 20+ years. Even on the Gamecube which has a different placement, the main button is bigger in size than the rest so it's hard to miss and also on the N64, the "main" button is the bottom one just like on PS/XBOX controllers. I can't comment on the SNES because its been a million years since i played on a real console. But i still play on Gamecube/N64 with no issues.

Recently i had the chance to play on a Switch i borrowed and it was.... an interesting experience. Even after many hours of play i still couldn't get used to the reverse button prompts and placement. I would still press the wrong buttons all the time. I simply can't re-wire my brain after so many years this function is etched in my brain. But even if i could, then i would still have to re-re-wire every time i want to play something on a different system. And sure, you can change the controls on PC games but not on every XBOX/PS game.

That basically means i'm literally locked out of Nintendo consoles. The only viable solution is emulation, since you can change everything as you like it and there are even mods that change the on screen prompts for XBOX or PS controllers. But outside that, how do you guys manage? Can you jump from one standard to the other without issues? Is my brain limited so it's just me?

Once your brain understands that there are two configurations, going between them gets easier. If not do you need us to call your mommy for you?

Last edited:
Top Bottom