• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I realized i can never have a Nintendo console because of the reverse A+B nonsense

IAmRei

Reminds to weird lay out of slash my sword with R1 back then. But quickly adjusted in several minutes. The most weird i ever played is MH in PS2 back then. Using R Analog to slash, i was afraid to break my R analog.

And Dreamcast copied the layout from Nintendo
giphy.gif

For a very long time, i only game with an XBOX controller. I think since the mid 00s or so. My last console was the XBOX 360 and after that i focused on PC, with XBOX controllers. I also played a lot of Playstation stuff during those years but not much Nintendo stuff. The last Nintendo console i bought was the Wii and that didn't have a traditional controller anyway.

So, the bottom "A" or "X" button is always my jump/action/enter/make selection button. Basically, the "main" button. It's been like this for for me 20+ years. Even on the Gamecube which has a different placement, the main button is bigger in size than the rest so it's hard to miss and also on the N64, the "main" button is the bottom one just like on PS/XBOX controllers. I can't comment on the SNES because its been a million years since i played on a real console. But i still play on Gamecube/N64 with no issues.

Recently i had the chance to play on a Switch i borrowed and it was.... an interesting experience. Even after many hours of play i still couldn't get used to the reverse button prompts and placement. I would still press the wrong buttons all the time. I simply can't re-wire my brain after so many years this function is etched in my brain. But even if i could, then i would still have to re-re-wire every time i want to play something on a different system. And sure, you can change the controls on PC games but not on every XBOX/PS game.

That basically means i'm literally locked out of Nintendo consoles. The only viable solution is emulation, since you can change everything as you like it and there are even mods that change the on screen prompts for XBOX or PS controllers. But outside that, how do you guys manage? Can you jump from one standard to the other without issues? Is my brain limited so it's just me?
You can get used to anything if you stick with it long enough. I've switched button configurations in Halo many times, each time reverting back to a complete amateur until gradually redeveloping the muscle memory back.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I'm half okay with the right to left layout.

I'm perfectly fine with A and B, but X and Y always makes me pause and think for a second. I've been playing games on my SNES Classic recently, and its taken some getting used to. And by that I mean getting the muscle memory because the X/Y thing just doesn't seem to stick.

Kilau

You disagree that Nintendo started the four face button diamond layout? When Sega went 6 button with the Genesis they even copied the X,Y, +Z instead of going with 1,2,3 like they had with the Master System controller. Then with Dreamcast it's a full on layout copy with C and Z gone but A,B,X,Y opposite of Nintendo.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
1) Nintendo did it first. Its not reverse anything.
2) I'm just glad I grew up playing arcade machines where the hardware and controller layout were different for every single game. People had an open mind. The idea that anyone cant adapt to a basic controller thats identical to all the other ones but just with slightly different labels really is the perfect representation of modern times.

Chastten

Banned
Switch A & B is pretty harmless for me personally, but I feel you.

For me it's the terrible PS controller design that does it. I mean, I know the sticks were an afterthought Sony copied from Nintendo when they realized 3D games needed another way of controls, but they should have fixed the placement as early as the PS2 controller. Why the left control stick is still at that awkward spot ill never know. It's the main reason I've never really been able to get into my PS4, despite that console doing everything right otherwise.

You got backwards. Nintendo is the OG style, if your brain can't process how to hit one button instead of the other please don't try to function in society and refrain from operating motorized vehicles.

You disagree that Nintendo started the four face button diamond layout? When Sega went 6 button with the Genesis they even copied the X,Y, +Z instead of going with 1,2,3 like they had with the Master System controller.
I...guess I'll kind of concede this one. We will go into semantics about release dates of controllers otherwise.

Then with Dreamcast it's a full on layout copy with C and Z gone but A,B,X,Y opposite of Nintendo.
This however, you can clearly see the evolution from that saturn controller I posted earlier in the thread, to the Dreamcast one. They moved the C and Z from the saturn to be triggers instead. This was pre-gamecube too.

Thanks for the info but the problem is there are now two different standards that you have to adjust to. Whoever did the first one is irrelevant to the issue.

There are "now" two standards? There have been different controllers and different control schemes throughout all of gaming history. If we bring in Sega and their controllers into the mix, it gets even worse. Is it annoying to switch once you have gotten used to one format? Sure, but it's a minor inconvenience and considering you need to learn new controls for every game you play anyway, it's not that big a deal. And today's software has more customizable controls and better remapping than was available back in the 90s and 00s.

This has never been less of problem.

So until 2020 'O' was confirm and 'X' cancel like in the old days and still on Nintendo and they then changed it? How is Japan doing? Everything okay over there or are people rioting on the streets?

Japanese players largely complained about it, but since it's not a big deal in the grand scheme they're dealing with it. No different than the rest of us.

Kilau

I...guess I'll kind of concede this one. We will go into semantics about release dates of controllers otherwise.

This however, you can clearly see the evolution from that saturn controller I posted earlier in the thread, to the Dreamcast one. They moved the C and Z from the saturn to be triggers instead. This was pre-gamecube too.
But the Saturn 3D controller already had triggers so they really just dropped the C and Z. Anyway, my point was just that the layout is Nintendo inspired so any derivative of that would be reverse but OP said that wasn’t his intention.

tr1p1ex

For a very long time, i only game with an XBOX controller. I think since the mid 00s or so. My last console was the XBOX 360 and after that i focused on PC, with XBOX controllers. I also played a lot of Playstation stuff during those years but not much Nintendo stuff. The last Nintendo console i bought was the Wii and that didn't have a traditional controller anyway.

So, the bottom "A" or "X" button is always my jump/action/enter/make selection button. Basically, the "main" button. It's been like this for for me 20+ years. Even on the Gamecube which has a different placement, the main button is bigger in size than the rest so it's hard to miss and also on the N64, the "main" button is the bottom one just like on PS/XBOX controllers. I can't comment on the SNES because its been a million years since i played on a real console. But i still play on Gamecube/N64 with no issues.

Recently i had the chance to play on a Switch i borrowed and it was.... an interesting experience. Even after many hours of play i still couldn't get used to the reverse button prompts and placement. I would still press the wrong buttons all the time. I simply can't re-wire my brain after so many years this function is etched in my brain. But even if i could, then i would still have to re-re-wire every time i want to play something on a different system. And sure, you can change the controls on PC games but not on every XBOX/PS game.

That basically means i'm literally locked out of Nintendo consoles. The only viable solution is emulation, since you can change everything as you like it and there are even mods that change the on screen prompts for XBOX or PS controllers. But outside that, how do you guys manage? Can you jump from one standard to the other without issues? Is my brain limited so it's just me?
lol. you gotta play for more than 2 hours on a borrowed Switch.

Give it a week. Take 2 sips of Cherry coke and crunch a few potato chips when the symptoms arise again. Get a good nights sleep. You'll be over it in no time.

The yutes can adjust in a snap of the fingers. The older you are the longer it takes.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

Also btw you can buy a 3rd party GC controller with extra buttons for the Switch. The wireless ones have motion control. Wired ones don't tho.

I really did think the GC button layout was superior. Just made way more sense except for that Z button. And now of course the analog pressure sensitive triggers are also out in favor of triggers for shooting guns.

The 3rd party GC controllers give you 2 bumpers buttons that work better than the z button did. And they give you triggers. No pressure sensitive analog. I remember using that in Mario Sunshine for the jetpack. And they add the Switch +/-

I hope NIntendo innovates on controls again. I hope it's not the same dealio. It would be a little boring.

Last edited:

SHA

These are just letters, the last time when this bothered me back in mid school, this is pure immaturity, you prevent yourself from playing contents just because of this.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It’s not Nintendo that reversed the buttons you numbskulls.

It’s a real nuisance when I play games with button prompts or rhythm sections on Xbox. My brain just refuses that X isn’t the topmost button. Ever since the SNES days, X for me was the button you rarely use because it’s in that awkward position.

It’s also true that going back to the Switch after playing on Xbox, it takes a while to get used to A being on the right.

IceSage91

Banned

You mean everyone else has revered buttons 🧠

ReBurn

Gold Member
It took some practice but I can switch in and out of Nintendo mode pretty easily. It doesn't bother me any more.

Shakka43

Then Sega copied Nintendo with the Dreamcast controller and flipped face buttons. Thing is we can't blame Nintendo, they were the first and everyone else followed
They didn't really reverse anything as they always used an ABC-XYZ layout.

Sony copied the 4 face button layout but made it the now standard diamond layout instead of the offset style of the snes pad.

You're not locked out of it, you're locking yourself out by not just dedicating a handful of hours to learning something once and it being second nature after. I don't mean that in a mocking way just that trust me, you can get used to a lot of seemingly impossibly uncomfortable shit by just sticking to it.

This may not mean much to people here but I learned Hunter control scheme after like 700 hours in Gunslinger in Hunt: Showdown a few months ago. I also forced myself to learn non-inverted aim this year after playing like that my whole life. Took maybe a week tops.

You can do it!!! *Viewtiful Joe voice thingie*

Knightime_X

You can do it system wise, but then you gotta remember what button does what.
It can get SUPER annoying.

I wish devs would let you remap on all games, PER game.

nkarafo

I absolutely love how everyone thinks i'm dunking on Nintendo for this or that i implied they did the reversing. Even though i never accused a particular company for this "error". It's like people have the console wars in their blood.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I literally never had a problem with things like that. It's basically an instinct which button I should press depending on which controller I'm holding. I haven't owned a Nintendo console since GameCube and I'm pretty sure I would have zero problems getting used to a Switch controller.

Honestly, one of the biggest benefits of being old is that I'm naturally used to used to adapting to these sorts of things since I grew up with arcade games, various console quirks, and frequent importing that adapting to a game or systems with various button configs or alternative controls was just natural and expected. It's not like today where it's expected that every game is supposed to conform to the same handful of control schemes and button layouts.

X-Wing

You disagree that Nintendo started the four face button diamond layout? When Sega went 6 button with the Genesis they even copied the X,Y, +Z instead of going with 1,2,3 like they had with the Master System controller. Then with Dreamcast it's a full on layout copy with C and Z gone but A,B,X,Y opposite of Nintendo.

Dreamcast controller was an evolution of this:
524px-Sega-Saturn-3D-Controller.jpg

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
And either way regardless of Nintendo being the first their layout is worse. A is the first fucking letter on the alphabet (both the actual alphabet and the word), why is it at the right and not the bottom?
Games that use A for jumping and B for running feel like ass to play.

Solidus_T

As someone who grew up playing Super Nintendo and Playstation, it's actually the Xbox button layout that I still get irked by. I will still say "Square" or "Y" for the same button that is "X" on the Xbox layout.
This is why I always mod games to use Dualshock/sense prompts.
I do this for as many PC games as I can as well. If they don't support it, it's a bummer.

BlackTron

Switch A & B is pretty harmless for me personally, but I feel you.

For me it's the terrible PS controller design that does it. I mean, I know the sticks were an afterthought Sony copied from Nintendo when they realized 3D games needed another way of controls, but they should have fixed the placement as early as the PS2 controller. Why the left control stick is still at that awkward spot ill never know. It's the main reason I've never really been able to get into my PS4, despite that console doing everything right otherwise.

This is pretty much my #1 top issue with Sony going all the way back to PS2. Only reason I can't just write off Xbox and go 100% PS is controller design

Top Bottom