• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Romero just uploaded a video demo of Mario Bros 3 for PC made by id in 1990

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
In celebration of Commander Keen's 25th bday, Romero uploaded a demo of Mario Bros 3 for PC (which was demo'd to Nintendo, who rejected it).

John Romero ‏@romero 46m minutes ago Galway, Ireland

Happy 25th Birthday, Commander Keen! In honor I'm sharing a video of our SMB3 demo we made for Nintendo on 9/28/1990.https://vimeo.com/148909578

Watch here: https://vimeo.com/148909578

context, from mattp:

A year earlier, John Carmack and John Romero had built, from the ground-up, a PC port of Nintendo's Super Mario Bros. 3, at the time a remarkable feat given PCs weren't supposed to be able to handle side-scrolling like a console could. Initially a crude demo using characters from a Romero game built for Softdisk called Dangerous Dave, (and which they christened Dangerous Dave in Copyright Infringement) the guys eventually had Mario looking so good, and so faithful to the original, they contacted Nintendo about licensing the game from the Japanese company for release on the PC.

While Nintendo of course turned the offer down instantly, another party had become secretly interested in the team's work. With games like Dangerous Dave attracting a cult following, a representative from publisher Apogee began writing to Romero under the guise of a fan, so as not to alert Softdisk, as he had every intention of luring the guys away to make their own games for a living using the concept of shareware, which would see part of a game given away for free to tempt people to pay for the whole thing.

Tempted by this offer, and capitalising upon the platforming technology they'd built for the Mario demo, the team whipped up a side-scroller called Commander Keen, released in December 1990, which quickly became a hit. Keen was a small boy transported into a science-fiction saga, armed with a trusty laser pistol and defended by an oversized...Green Bay Packers helmet.

kavanf1

Does he live in Galway? My home town, cool.

SMB3 is my second favourite Mario game (after Super Mario World on SNES), pity this never came about. Though I did play through it again via emulator a few years back.

Pretty strange watching it and not hearing the right sound effects. My ears kept getting tricked.

Noogy

Why is it so vastly different than the real deal? Was this just a PC re-imagining or something?

This was id's secret pitch to Nintendo, proving that they could do it. They built it in record time. Nintendo said no.

You really need to understand PC tech at the time to truly understand how amazing this build is. The book 'Masters of Doom' tells all, but if you want a pretty good quick version I recommend AllYourHistory's segment on id software: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YreEwtV7D0

Why is it so vastly different than the real deal? Was this just a PC re-imagining or something?
Hypothesis:
They may not have had access to original source art and gameplay code to make the demo with. This is probably a commander keen re-skin in a number of ways.

You know the thing about a mario, he's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'.

Nibel

bHSdBds.png

miyamotolqr5riysf1.gif

This was id's secret pitch to Nintendo, proving that they could do it. They built it in record time. Nintendo said no.

You really need to understand PC tech at the time to truly understand how amazing this build is.

Yep, it was mentioned in the book "Masters of Doom", for anyone looking for more about id's history. This is awesome to see in action.

kavanf1

You know the thing about a mario, he's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'.
Until he bite ya...then his eyes roll over white, and ya can't hear nothin but the screamin and the hollerin.

BiggNife

Considering that it was done from scratch with no reference, that's pretty impressive. The jump physics are obviously off but I'm sure that would've been fixed later on if it got greenlit. This is pretty clearly just a proof-of-concept.

Kriken

There are so many question I have for this with the majority of them being answered with a simple "It wasn't finished"

That being said, forget the eyes, the pot belly on Mario stuck out more to me

SJRB

Gold Member

It's a huge part of ID's rise to fame. Up until that point a sidescroller had never been done on PC because [ironically] PC specs were lower than consoles.

John Carmack at one point cracked the code of memory allocation and made this game [or at least the first level] during one night, showing it to Romero the next day who went completely bananas.

They basically remade SMB3 from scratch for PC, and then sent it to Nintendo with a letter that they'd like to bring SMB to PC. Nintendo declined, but ID pushed its newfound miracle forward and eventually created Commander Keen which became a massive, MASSIVE hit.

I can recommend anyone even remotely interested in videogame history to read Masters of Doom, an excellent novel on the rise and fall of ID Software.

T.E.D

Banned

SMB3 is my second favourite Mario game (after Super Mario World on SNES), pity this never came about. Though I did play through it again via emulator a few years back.

Pretty strange watching it and not hearing the right sound effects. My ears kept getting tricked.

My sympathies.

;-)

Wait, John Romero lives in Galway? No way...

LPride

Banned
What is the context behind this demo?

Carmack solved the problem of getting smooth scrolling to work on PC and slapped a SMB3 demo together to show it off in action. Back then PC games tended to have static screens and scrolling was not possible.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
John Romero's gonna make Mario his bitch?

In any case neat to see the tech that made Keen possible. I thought Keen was wayyyy earlier than 1990.

Lumine

You really need to understand PC tech at the time to truly understand how amazing this build is. The book 'Masters of Doom' tells all, but if you want a pretty good quick version I recommend AllYourHistory's segment on id software: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YreEwtV7D0

Thanks! I feel this should probably be in the OP as more people are gonna ask this.

edit: or one of the other posts that explain this.

Having played mostly DOS games back in those days; those sounds were eerily familiar. :p

I wonder how many people will understand how much of a technical accomplishment this really was for its time. Romero was groundbreaking.

mattp

context:
A year earlier, John Carmack and John Romero had built, from the ground-up, a PC port of Nintendo's Super Mario Bros. 3, at the time a remarkable feat given PCs weren't supposed to be able to handle side-scrolling like a console could. Initially a crude demo using characters from a Romero game built for Softdisk called Dangerous Dave, (and which they christened Dangerous Dave in Copyright Infringement) the guys eventually had Mario looking so good, and so faithful to the original, they contacted Nintendo about licensing the game from the Japanese company for release on the PC.

While Nintendo of course turned the offer down instantly, another party had become secretly interested in the team's work. With games like Dangerous Dave attracting a cult following, a representative from publisher Apogee began writing to Romero under the guise of a fan, so as not to alert Softdisk, as he had every intention of luring the guys away to make their own games for a living using the concept of shareware, which would see part of a game given away for free to tempt people to pay for the whole thing.

Tempted by this offer, and capitalising upon the platforming technology they'd built for the Mario demo, the team whipped up a side-scroller called Commander Keen, released in December 1990, which quickly became a hit. Keen was a small boy transported into a science-fiction saga, armed with a trusty laser pistol and defended by an oversized...Green Bay Packers helmet.
source: http://kotaku.com/5813883/before-they-were-famous-id-software

Top Bottom