• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Romero just uploaded a video demo of Mario Bros 3 for PC made by id in 1990

Zodzilla

Super Psyched that we actually get to see this. I thought this little piece of history would never see the light of day!

LPride

Banned
What if Nintendo was open to porting to other systems and Romero and Carmack became bigwigs at NOA and then hung out with Reggie?

KKRT00

So amazing :)

Lol at people saying that this looks bad. Its a demo of technology that do not existed on PC before! Made by guys in a 'garage'.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Why is it so vastly different than the real deal? Was this just a PC re-imagining or something?

They didnt have access to the sources, they just got it done to pitch it to Nintendo.
So yeah, friggin' impressive.

Interfectum

Sounds like some of you need to read this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0812972155/?tag=neogaf0e-20

71jkciErnDL.jpg

Manu

Lost it at "Truly rudimentary help screen", lol

Also, it looks like they didn't really understand how the feather worked when they made it.

Other than that it looked great.

storl026

You must keep in mind that this is the product of basically one all-nighter by Carmack (and another day or two for creation of art assets). It is enormously impressive.

Nintendo wouldn't have rejected this based on quality (which would improve, this was only a tech demo to show it could be done); they probably rejected it because they were careful about licensing their brands, and because they wanted to retain full control over their IP on a closed system (they backed out of their relationship with Sony for the SNES-CD add-on for this exact reason).

I'm giving another endorsement of Masters of Doom. It's so good that you don't even have to be into video games to enjoy it.

This isn't bad at all, really. Some people here doesn't seem to be familiar with 8-bit tech from the time and believe this is bad, but actually is a solid work. It would be very interesting if a Nintendo/Romero colab ever managed to happen back in the day, as Commander Keen is a classic in the platform genre.

KarmaCow

That video is pretty surreal on its own and knowing the history behind how it was made just makes it even more amazing.

Lijik

This runs a lot better than i imagined when i read Masters of Doom. Really cool to finally see this piece of history in action

Enosh

What is the context behind this demo?
side scrollers were basically impossible to do on PC at the time, at least the type where teh whole screen moves as you move,, John Carmack figured out a way how to do it, he and iirc Tom hall decided to remake the first level of the game and left the demo for John Romero to see the next day

from that id software was born

Wow, really cool. This is a legendary demo. Lots of bits of gaming history that I never thought would see the light of day have been revealed lately.

It's super impressive as a tech demo, and a really interesting piece of gaming history, but Nintendo was right to say no to it for all kinds of reasons. It's still a far sight better than the PC-8801 version of Super Mario Bros, which was officially licensed by Nintendo. That does an amazing job of pointing out how limiting the lack of smooth scrolling was for games on various PCs.

Having heard about this from various sources over the years, it's really amazing to see in action. More impressive than I had imagined, actually.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Does he live in Galway? My home town, cool.

My sympathies.

;-)

Wait, John Romero lives in Galway? No way...
I live about an hour's drive south of Galway. Maybe I should pay him a visit and punch him in the gob for making me his bitch shake his hand for his involvement in Doom and Quake. Hella influential who deserved better after the Daikatana ordeal.

It's not Mario, it's Jake Roberts (This Tuesday In Texas reference).
Hogan screwed Taker!

This is impressive if you understand pre-VGA PC graphics and how hugely limited they were. EGA sucked, even if it was an upgrade over CGA.

Something about watching that video makes me feel uneasy.. Kind of like it's a horror game or something. Don't know why. I guess Mario's black lifeless eyes has a part in it.

Tagyhag

Lol why do people think the tech demo was how the game was going to be on PC? It was to show that they could do the complex side-scrolling games like Mario, and they didnt even need the source code.

Had Nintendo said yes, they would have been allowed to use the code to port the game.

Some of you have less foresight than Nintendo did back then.

Top Bottom