• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Developer says console ports on PC are disrespectful

Durante

Seems like a fair enough statement in reply to a question which can be difficult to answer for a developer.

I actually completely forgot about Mankind Divided when thinking about next year's RPGs. I should rectify that, especially since I quite enjoyed Human Revolution.

Sylas

Weren't the cutscenes in the PC version of Human Revolution just straight ports from the console versions?

Also can't disagree with his statement. I'm playing on PC for a reason--if I'm playing on PC--and it's a massive waste of my time to find out it's no different, if not worse, than the console versions.

Kezen

Banned
I would not say disrespectful, but PC ports going the extra mile is something that I'm ready to reward more duly.

Zader

Banned
Great to hear.

Eidos Montreal seems like a studio that really cares about the games they put out which is something only a handful of AAA devs can say

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
A PC port, when done right, should exceed the console version in every way fully based on the hardware involved. But even a great port from a Nixxes level studio is still a port.

And so i don't really think i agree with him, considering most games would be considered console ports to PC. The basic nature of the process of picking baseline design decisions are made with all SKU's in mind, mostly the consoles.

I'd assume its just easier with linear hardware to better deliver for all platforms, rather than starting with something you know you can't run(like a majority of BS PC 'target renders') and just scaling that down with a hacksaw until it can do some equivalent of what you initially promised as a developer.

Mifec

Might change when they port their new games, hoping for a good FFXV PC version.

Honestly at this point, 60fps, AA and at least 4k support would be fine for me for that game. Would love additional stuff tbh but I could live with just that.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I think Nixxes did a great job porting Human Revolution.

The only downside was the absolutely awful quality of the FMVs, but I don't think they could have done anything about that.

I still don't understand the point of rendering FMVs in ultra high quality if you're going to re-encode them into Youtube 240p before putting them in the game.

Weren't the cutscenes in the PC version of Human Revolution just straight ports from the console versions?

Also can't disagree with his statement. I'm playing on PC for a reason--if I'm playing on PC--and it's a massive waste of my time to find out it's no different, if not worse, than the console versions.

Some cutscenes were prerendered. Yeah. And I believe it initially had technical issues on PC. But as a whole Human Revolution on PC went miles further in making it feel like a PC game. From adding an inventory bar, to scaling the interface, to having your keyboard number pad work when entering key codes.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Honestly at this point, 60fps, AA and at least 4k support would be fine for me for that game. Would love additional stuff tbh but I could live with just that.

Kind of that I meant with good port, don't want any arbitrary resolution or framerate locks.

Though some settings for uncompressed assets and some scaleability for lower end PCs would be great and probably make the game sell better.

Ovek

7Member7
Will laugh my ass of when this game turns out to be nothing but a lazy ass console port after that comment.

Nixxes handled the previous port, right? All in good hands if so.

Nope. I recall it having very little in terms of PC options. Like bare minimum, maybe slightly better than that. It was not a strong point.

It wasn't a bad port but it certainly wasn't something to be commended. Basically, I really disagree with you saying it is in good hands because it wasn't.

Kezen

Banned
Nope. I recall it having very little in terms of PC options. Like bare minimum, maybe slightly better than that. It was not a strong point.

It wasn't a bad port but it certainly wasn't something to be commended. Basically, I really disagree with you saying it is in good hands because it wasn't.

Human Revolution has a good range of options, no idea what you are talking about. Everything needed was there, including an FOV slider.

I had very little issues with the port at the time and had nice options (tessellation, soft shadows, advanced DOF, directx11).

Durante

Someone ought to send the memo to Square's Japanese side.
I'd be happy enough if they just did ports with basic feature support honestly, no need to develop a version which feels native.

Human Revolution has a good range of options, no idea what you are talking about. Everything needed was there, including an FOV slider.

I had very little issues with the port at the time.
Same here.

CHC

Human Revolution was a great port on paper, but hopefully with this new engine the incredibly poor mouse feel is gone. The freelook behaved very strangely (by default, different vertical and horizontal sensitivities) and it also did not scroll in arbitrarily small amounts. I'm not sure exactly how to describe that last one, but it's like it would jump in very, very small "steps" rather than in a smooth arc. I can't have been the only one who noticed?

Truant

Human Revolution on PC was great. Good performance, optimized interface and controls, and a decent amout of options. It even had a FOV-slider.

Irobot82

I never did finish HR. I ran out of ammo due to bad gun load out and never finished. Still loved the game. Excited to see the extra bits going into the PC version of MD.

injurai

Banned
Human Revolution was a great port on paper, but hopefully with this new engine the incredibly poor mouse feel is gone. The freelook behaved very strangely (by default, different vertical and horizontal sensitivities) and it also did not scroll arbitrary amounts. I'm not sure exactly how to describe that last one, but it's like it would jump in very, very small increments rather than in a smooth arc. I can't have been the only one who noticed?

I never noticed such a thing, though you could have had issues with triple buffering. I remember I experienced some similar issues with input on CS:GO and Portal 2 despite having a high framerate.

Some cutscenes were prerendered. Yeah. And I believe it initially had technical issues on PC. But as a whole Human Revolution on PC went miles further in making it feel like a PC game. From adding an inventory bar, to scaling the interface to having your keyboard number pad work when entering key codes.

It scales too much! HR is almost impossible play downsampled.

Dr Dogg

If I recall correctly DX:HR was one of the first titles to use hardware tessellation via DX11 (think Crysis 2 was the first). Now DX:HR Directors Cut on PC is another story all together...

Dr.Acula

Banned
The only grave sin is when devs tie physics/damage/animation/etc. to the framerate and UI/menus/etc. to the resolution.

Kezen

Banned
If I recall correctly DX:HR was one of the first titles to use hardware tessellation via DX11 (think Crysis 2 was the first). Now DX:HR Directors Cut on PC is another story all together...

Dirt 2 (2009) used tessellation on PC.
tess2.jpg

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2009/12/01/directx-11-performance-first-look-dirt-2/1

And I don't think it was the first game to use it.

The Nixxes ports of Human Revolution and Tomb Raider 2013 were both quite good, no complaints here.

Human Revolution was a great port on paper, but hopefully with this new engine the incredibly poor mouse feel is gone. The freelook behaved very strangely (by default, different vertical and horizontal sensitivities) and it also did not scroll in arbitrarily small amounts. I'm not sure exactly how to describe that last one, but it's like it would jump in very, very small "steps" rather than in a smooth arc. I can't have been the only one who noticed?

I'm guessing you don't have this issue in other games, but just in case: this is the kind of behavior I'd get when I cranked the mouse sensitivity up way high in a game. The mouse itself only has a set resolution, so the stepping is actually a result of scaling the mouse movement so high that the smallest movement the mouse can register is now tangible. I don't know if this scenario applies to you, but if it does, it's probably not a Human Revolution-only issue.

I had very little issues with the port at the time and had nice options (tessellation, soft shadows, advanced DOF, directx11).

FOV capped

Mouse sensitivity options bare minimum and completely unacceptable for a FPS on PC.

Just a few things that I recall from the last time I played through the game.

There was room for improvement for sure. Especially the mouse options... just unacceptable.

edit:
Also I don't recall there being an option for hold instead of toggle for sprinting + ADS.

Dr Dogg

Dirt 2 (2009) used tessellation on PC.
http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2009/12/directx-11-performance-first-look-dirt-2/tess2.jpg[IMG]
[URL="http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2009/12/01/directx-11-performance-first-look-dirt-2/1"]http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2009/12/01/directx-11-performance-first-look-dirt-2/1[/URL]

And I don't think it was the first game to use it.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha. Obviously I don't recall correctly. D'oh!

It was a fine port but it pretty much looked like a console game. Also they talk about respecting the legacy of Deus Ex but their game really didn't, it was a born and bred console experience.

The Director's Cut of HR on PC is a mess. I read somewhere that it was a messy/lazy port of the Wii U version. I also read that everything they patched with the original version was left up in the air for the DC.

That game still had micro stutter when running for a while. I mean it was a good port but it wasn't some flawless gem like people make it out to be.

Nzyme32

True dat.

Aye.

Hoping Deus Ex Mankind Divided will be more flexible in its gameplay and hopefully have a narrative that is as engaging and with multiple permutations akin to OG Deus Ex. I feel that Deus Ex HR was close, but miss out a bit on the narrative, gameplay, choices and alike.

The Director's Cut of HR on PC is a mess. I read somewhere that it was a messy/lazy port of the Wii U version. I also read that everything they patched with the original version was left up in the air for the DC.

I think the best example would have been Deus Ex: The Fall. That is a pure mobile port. Hilariously, woefully bad. A little effort would have gone a long way

DieH@rd

Banned
Nixxes does not mess with PC crowd. They always aim to please hardcore PC gamers with HQ conversions that have many added features.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Please don't end up eating crow!

Edit:Isn't DE:HR directors cut busted on PC?

I played both HR and DC on PC and I didn't notice one version worse than the other. But they still did a shoddy job in some aspects, like I mentioned earlier. Also someone mentioned stuttering, which yes it had stutter issues. I don't recall it being in DC but I could be wrong. Also I recall people complaining about input lag or mouse acceleration issues. Basically not a top rate PC product, just a passable port that excels in some areas but is unacceptable in others. I'm sure people are used to some of the crap because by older PC game standards or measuring against bad ports, then HR shines. But compared to modern standards, it falls short.

Top Bottom