• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PR: Monster Hunter X breaks 3 million units

http://capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e151224.html

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that "Monster Hunter X (Cross)" for the Nintendo 3DS™ family of handheld systems has shipped three million units in Japan (including download cards and sales of the download version at in the Nintendo eShop.)

The "Monster Hunter" series is a hunting action game that pits players against giant monsters in a beautiful natural environment. The series has sparked a social phenomenon known as the "Monster Hunter Craze" by introducing a new kind of communication style for players through cooperative play focused on hunting monsters with their friends. Since the first "Monster Hunter" title made its debut in 2004, the series has expanded beyond games into other media, and overall has grown into a mega-hit with cumulative sales of more than 36 million units as of December 24, 2015.

"Monster Hunter X (Cross)" is a new title that offers individual players greater possibilities in developing their own style of hunting. Utilizing the world and gameplay of previous entries as a starting point, the game is distinguished by its high level of freedom with new elements like Hunter Arts and Hunting Styles, which can be combined with 14 kinds of weapons to create a myriad of fresh ways to play.

In addition to receiving praise for new elements, such as "Nyanter Mode" where players can take on quests as a "Felyne Palico", the title hit the three million mark within just one month of its release as a result of maintaining user interest via numerous cross-industry collaborations.

Moving forward, Capcom plans to roll out a number of initiatives, beginning in January 2016 with "Monster Hunter Festa'16", an event held in five major cities across Japan, and including the Universal Studios Japan attraction "Monster Hunter the Real", all with the aim of generating interest across diverse user segments.

Capcom remains firmly committed to satisfying the expectations of all users by making the most of its industry-leading game development capabilities in order to create highly entertaining games.

So about that 2.5 million in this FY prediction, eh Capcom? ;)

Monster Hunter X
November 28, 2015 Japan

December 3, 2015 announcement for 2m shipment
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e151203.html

December 24, 2015 announcement for 3m shipment
http://capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e151224.html

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
October 11, 2014 Japan
February 2, 2015 West

October 15, 2014 announcement for 2m shipment
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e141015.html

February 16, 2015 announcement for 3m shipment
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e150216b.html

October 21, 2015 announcement for 4m shipment
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e151021.html

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Holy bejeezus when is this baby getting localized?

Durante

That's amazing.

If nothing else, Capcom should be applauded for their handling of the franchise. I still don't understand exactly how it happened.

Lord have mercy. I should really import this. The demo was god tier, but I'm too busy with XCX and Devil Survivor 2. Wonder when they plan to release it over here. I'm guessing a MHXG/U for NX in 2017 is something that is likely on the cards.

Cerium

There has to be a Monster Hunter in Smash for NX. There's no other brand that's so strong and so closely associated with Nintendo, except maybe Yokai Watch.

Sesha

nothingstopsthistrain.gif

Monster Hunter really is a monster (pun slightly intended) of a franchise.

And as a whole, Capcom have been doing well for themselves this year. RE HD, Revelations 2, DMC4SE, MH4U, MHX have all done good-to-great. Quality is mostly there as well. They're turning things around between sales and fan-pleasing moves like SF5 in general, RE2 HD, Dragon's Dogma PC, Western port for AA6 confirmed the day of the announcement, etc. Hopefully they won't turn careless and screw things up like 2012-2013 again.

There has to be a Monster Hunter in Smash for NX. There's no other brand that's so strong and so closely associated with Nintendo, except maybe Yokai Watch.

Both sides have to want it in that case. The MH team has previously objected to having certain MH characters in Capcom-made cross-overs. Capcom characters could rival Mario or Fire Emblem in numbers if they really got crazy with reps due to the company's history with Nintendo.

magnetic

They would have to add all 13(?) weapons somehow because fans are very dedicated to their weapon of choice! No Gunlance would be an insult, for instance.

tuffy

They would have to add all 13(?) weapons somehow because fans are very dedicated to their weapon of choice! No Gunlance would be an insult, for instance.
Or they could just add a couple of playable monsters, which could be pretty neat.

Wow. Hopefully the final version runs more stable than the demo on a old 3DSXL. I heard the performance was rough. Looking forward to getting this once it's localized!

Seil

Probably when they do X Ultimate.

1) We have no way of knowing if there even will be an XG/U, it's a rather unusual entry in and of itself and already packed with a ton of content. Despite lacking a G rank I think it still beats 4U in total amount of gear sets even haha.

2) 4 is the only example where we've had to wait for a G version. The only main games we've missed out on are the original G, 2 and P3rd. The first is a G version and the latter two didn't even get one. Not really sure why this weird "we'll get it when they do the G version" thing got started in the first place.

Edit: If anything, 4U being the best selling entry thus far gives them momentum and reason to try to make it grow more.

Surprising to see this PR so soon, MH4U had the same only when it became available in the West, four months after the japanese release. Is MHX selling so stronger that MH4U in Japan ? Famitsu was at 2,26 million yesterday.

tuffy

Not really sure why this weird "we'll get it when they do the G version" thing got started in the first place.

Edit: If anything, 4U being the best selling entry thus far gives them momentum and reason to try to make it grow more.
The unmatched western success of 4U and lack of a localization announcement for MHX are why it's not so crazy to believe a MHX:G is in the works.

With the main Monster Hunter team working on Stories, MHX:G would also fill the 2016 release gap as the regular series' annual entry.

Surprising to see this PR so soon, MH4U had the same only when it became available in the West, four months after the japanese release. Is MHX selling so stronger that MH4U in Japan ? Famitsu was at 2,26 million yesterday.

Shipment.

The game is selling way better than MH4G. eShop sales should be around 300k units - total as of last week should be around 2.5m.

Also, Monster Hunter franchise has become the equal of Street Fighter franchise with 36 million. The only one higher is Resident Evil (66 million)

Seil

The unmatched western success of 4U and lack of a localization announcement for MHX are why it's not so crazy to believe a MHX:G is in the works.

With the main Monster Hunter team working on Stories, MHX:G would also fill the 2016 release gap as the regular series' annual entry.

The lack of an announcement isn't surprising at all even if they intend to localize X, 4U just came out this year and is still strong, being put on top game lists for the year. It's still holiday season. They wouldn't want to announce a new version and lose out on more 4U money.

KdylanR92

I'm happy to see my favorite franchise doing so well. Even though I wasn't able to get into 4G and I probably won't be playing Stories, I'm excited to see where the series goes.

tuffy

The lack of an announcement isn't surprising at all even if they intend to localize X, 4U just came out this year and is still strong, being put on top game lists for the year. It's still holiday season. They wouldn't want to announce a new version and lose out on more 4U money.
4U might be deservedly on a lot of game-of-the-year lists, but it still came out last February which is a long time ago in game years. Considering the 4U came out about 4 months after 4G in Japan, Capcom's silence about MHX feels to me like they're waiting to give it the same treatment.

Bruno MB

Monster Hunter X has already surpassed worldwide shipments of Dragon's Dogma series by 700,000 units in less than a month.

I'm going to be really surprised if we don't get a localization announcement and/or a G version in a Nintendo Direct or something early next year.

Seil

4U might be deservedly on a lot of game-of-the-year lists, but it still came out last February which is a long time ago in game years. Considering the 4U came out about 4 months after 4G in Japan, Capcom's silence about MHX feels to me like they're waiting to give it the same treatment.

Dunno man. I feel like it'd be a huge waste to give us potentially another year gap when they've got the hype train on their side, even if a G version is in the works. There was a fan patch for pretty much everything of importance to gameplay within a couple days of X launching, so surely a professional team can do that and the dialogue in an acceptable timeframe. And they'd have to localize all the existing content anyway to do a G version. Would be a waste not to capitalize on X next year in the west.

But even if they don't, we'll be getting God Eater finally so whatever.

tuffy

Dunno man. I feel like it'd be a huge waste to give us potentially another year gap when they've got the hype train on their side, even if a G version is in the works.
From Capcom's perspective, they might not want to sell western players both the regular game and an expansion. I'd buy both because I'm a Monster Hunter whore, but a lot of casual players might feel burned having to get G rank content separately. So I can see how they'd feel it's wiser to give western players the whole game as had been done successfully the last time around.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I can deal with a potential added wait for the revision to get localised. It's confirmation I want, more or less. Especially since I'm living in the EU. Considering the series' success I think it's unlikely it/its revision won't get localised, but still -- security.

Top Bottom