• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Rogue One - rumored plot synopsis? Comparisons to Oppenheimer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
For those unfamiliar, Rogue One is the first "anthology" Star Wars film. It's an opportunity for Lucasfilm to tell one-off stories in the Star Wars universe.

The first film is set just prior to the events of Episode IV, focused on a rag tag group stealing the Death Star plans.

Master_Cast_Photo_1of2_2.0.jpg

From MakingStarWars.net
"Mads Mikkelsen (Galen appears to be his name in the film) is kind of the key to the film in a way. He is a scientist that took over the Geonosian Death Star project. He solved several of the flaws the Empire could not and is sort of a revered person in the Empire for his contributions. However, Mikkelsen’s character is a Robert Oppenheimer-type character. Oppenheimer helped design the atomic bomb only to say, “Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.” The guilt “Galen” feels for his contributions to the Empire become too much and he defects, attempting to make things right. In order to do this, he enlists the help of his only daughter…."

EDIT: Also, there was word Felicity Jones' character is named Lyra Erso, but this article refutes that.

Personally, the comparison to Oppenheimer is so cleverly simple, it has me tremendously excited.

Gaz_RB

Mads will be perfect for that kind of role. I didn't realize this took place before 4. I guess technically... It's a Star Wars prequel. *gasp*

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I was honestly more excited for this than TFA, cannot wait.

We haven't had a full-on space battle since RotJ in 1983, I have a good feeling this film will address that.

Also, the word is Felicity Jones' character is named Lyra Erso. Sure. Sounds Star Wars-y.

It says in the article that this likely isn't her name.

Hatchtag

Banned
if that's true, then here's betting episode eight begins with kylo ren defecting from the first order, and the han solo movie begins with han solo defecting from the empire.

Fireblend

Banned
I have zero expectations for this movie. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised, specially since I like the SW universe and thought 7 was pretty darn good. But yeah, I have little hype for this one. Maybe it'll increase as the year goes on.

Boke1879

I have zero expectations for this movie. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised, specially since I like the SW universe and thought 7 was pretty darn good. But yeah, I have little hype for this one. Maybe it'll increase as the year goes on.

I'm excited for this simply because it tells a different story. My hype will always go to the main storyline but I think it's interesting to see another side to the universe

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

-Episode 1 had the attack on the control ship, but it was intercut with 3 other battles and was quite short.

-Episode 2 just had the 1v1 between Obi-Wan and Jango, and was also quite short.

-Episode 3's opening was fucking great, but it's a chase that takes place during a battle.

-Episode 7 had some decent X-Wing V TIE Fighter action, but again it was quite short and not really the focus

There has been nothing really like the Battle of Endor since RotJ. I want a big fuck-off battle with scores of capitol ships and hundreds of fighters going at it. Since this film is likely ending in a huge battle sequence, I'd say were finally gonna get one.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
This is the real Star Wars film to be hyped about. Sounds good. Mads gunna kill it per usual.

kIdMuScLe

I was honestly more excited for this than TFA, cannot wait.

We haven't had a full-on space battle since RotJ in 1983, I have a good feeling this film will address that.

It says in the article that this likely isn't her name.

There's was plenty of space fights in episode 1-3

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I wonder if they're going to go with the Death Star Prototype from the old EU. It was a test platform for the engine and mega-weapon with just the frame of the Death Star.

JQIzHHp.jpg

Then they'd technically be able to destroy yet another Death Star in a Star Wars film when they go get the plans.

Markitron

I wonder if they're going to go with the Death Star Prototype from the old EU. It was a test platform for the engine and mega-weapon with just the frame of the Death Star.

JQIzHHp.jpg

Then they'd technically be able to destroy yet another Death Star in a Star Wars film when they go get the plans.

It's set right before ANH, so I can't imagine the Death Star will be any different than it was in that film.

Toa TAK

Banned
Yeah, but will there be Darth Vader?

Star Wars Oppenheimer sounds fantastic, though, and the familial link is there. I hope this tums out to be a decent flick.

Markitron

They haven't said anything, but it would be a HUGE missed opportunity if they didn't. He's the one that is chasing down the plans, he'd have to figure in the final act somewhere.

jambo

It's set right before ANH, so I can't imagine the Death Star will be any different than it was in that film.

Would be cool to see Death Star I in a similar situation as Death Star II, with chunks of it still needing to be constructed.

Although if it's right before ANH then it might be complete or just a few minor bits left to build.

Death Star II is still the coolest looking bit of tech in the Star Wars universe.

Boke1879

Star Wars Oppenheimer sounds fantastic, though, and the familial link is there. I hope this tums out to be a decent flick.

Many of us are suspecting Vader to have a cameo. This leads right up to Episode 4 and it's literally Vader's mission to find those plans.

Cheebo

Banned
Would be cool to see Death Star I in a similar situation as Death Star II, with chunks of it still needing to be constructed.

Although if it's right before ANH then it might be complete or just a few minor bits left to build.

Death Star II is still the coolest looking bit of tech in the Star Wars universe.
Movie takes places mere weeks, if not days before A New Hope.

Markitron

The leaked teaser points to it being the classic Death Star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0eEKDfLNPg

Vader is in it

This hasn't been confirmed, it's just speculation.

Also he's not a Jedi :)

Any chance these anthology films might spin off into multi arc installments? Think of a Han Solo trilogy, or a 2 parter in the same spirit as Avengers: Infinity War?

Vader is in and I'm imagining them using him Rogue One to fight and kill Ahsoka since she kinda needs to die anyway and I doubt anyone else in the movie's cast of characters would be able to stand up to Vader.

No I haven't caught up with Rebels yet, I still need to watch the last damn season of Clone Wars.

Enthus

Vader is in and I'm imagining them using him Rogue One to fight and kill Ahsoka since she kinda needs to die anyway and I doubt anyone else in the movie's cast of characters would be able to stand up to Vader.

No I haven't caught up with Rebels yet, I still need to watch the last damn season of Clone Wars.

No chance they would put Ahsoka in this.

B.K.

Sounds interesting. If there really were problems with the Death Star's design, that explains why it took the Empire 20 years to get the first one running, but less than five to get the second operational.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom