• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness - Reviews Thread

GhaleonEB

From the IGN review:

Expand this dynamic to the whole of the island, and you get an intelligently designed puzzle game that doesn’t just give you the freedom to chip away at its riddles at your own pace, but creates a compelling adventure of the learning process itself.
This is exactly what I hoped The Witness would be. I'm so happy right now.

Tomorrow, hurry the hell up.

WEILWtQ.gif

Wow wasnt expecting a 10!

Day 1 for me. Blow is a genius.

Catvoca

Banned
From IGN's 10/10 review:

The Witness has a power and pull that carried me throughout the more than 40 hours it took to complete it for the first time, and that, even now, beckons me back to confront the mysteries I left unsolved. Its graceful combination of tangible goals, obscurity, and freedom creates ample opportunity for small victories and grand revelations alike. For the most part, its themes weave themselves beautifully throughout the gorgeous world and wide variety of puzzles, but even when it breaks subtlety in favor of a more heavy-handed approach to exposition, it never detracts from the truly fulfilling moments The Witness offers in terms of solving its physical puzzles and unlocking its deepest mysteries.

Rektash

The Witness, at the end of the day, revolves around one’s ability to interpret and solve complex puzzles. The island is gorgeous and memorable while the gameplay itself is as smooth as silk, but there’s no way around the constant need to solve the next puzzle. It is the ultimate stonewalling challenge rewarded only by rare success.

I mean, what did you expect? It's a puzzle game. If you can't solve a puzzle you keep trying until you can. If all else fails or you don't have the patience for this you can always look up puzzle solutions online.

Sounds like someone got angry feeling like a dumbdumb.

I'm super excited to get my hands on this tomorrow. I was a little worried about the review scores - the game has been delayed for so long - so I'm glad to see critics are positive.

This is beautiful:

The Witness, at the end of the day, revolves around one’s ability to interpret and solve complex puzzles. The island is gorgeous and memorable while the gameplay itself is as smooth as silk, but there’s no way around the constant need to solve the next puzzle. It is the ultimate stonewalling challenge rewarded only by rare success.

Not only is it marked down because the puzzles were too hard for him personally to solve, but it was also marked down because he had to keep solving puzzles. In a fucking puzzle game!

What an idiot.

De-mon

Destructoid 10/10
http://www.destructoid.com/review-the-witness-335133.phtml

Truthfully, I wish I didn't have to score The Witness. I don't want to set people up for that expectation; I don't want a voice in the back of their head that says "Okay, when does this become a ten?" In a way, that's unfair and detrimental to how the game should be experienced, which is as open-minded and unassuming as possible. Don't go to The Witness. Let The Witness come to you.

Kiro

Is this digital only?? Looking to get this for ps4. And thus us by the guy who made braid?? Sorry I know nothing of this game.

Dinjooh

Is this digital only?? Looking to get this for ps4. And thus us by the guy who made braid?? Sorry I know nothing of this game.

Digital only so far, retail release coming later.

And yes, it's by the one and only Jonathan Blow

Top Bottom