• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter, why is MK more popular in the US?

Doosi

Banned
It's kind of like soccer vs. American football. Soccer is the world's most popular sport, but American football is considerably more popular in the US.

The last two MK games were fantastic, but I am not sure why it resonates with the American audience much more than SF. Thoughts?

playXray

I always thought SF was the more popular franchise, but I haven't seen any like for like sales figures. How did MK9 do compared to SFIV in the US?

@MUWANdo

Banned
MK's big in Central/South America and reasonably popular in Europe, too; it's only Asia that isn't into it, which is perfectly understandable, considering they only really got one or two games and that was 20 years ago (not to mention the huge glut of locally-produced games they had to contend with).

A more pertinent question might be: if MK is really "style over substance" or "coasting on nostalgia" like so many people claim, why are all the other MK-style games soooooo much worse than MK? People act like the series' success is down to cheap gimmickry yet no-one seems to be able to replicate them to a satisfactory degree.

stryke

Well, Mortal Kombat is made in US, so it's only natural that it appeals a lot to that audience.

got no idea what the LTDs are, its also harder when Capcom does re-releases like Ultra. But last time the debut month of SF4 was 849K. IIRC MKX was over a million last year.

jfoul

I always thought SF was the more popular franchise, but I haven't seen any like for like sales figures. How did MK9 do compared to SFIV in the US?

MK9: "Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, publisher of NetherRealm Studios’ Mortal Kombat, reported that Mortal Kombat had sold close to three million units as of August 2011."

MKX "In October 2015, Warner Bros. confirmed that Mortal Kombat X has sold 5 million copies worldwide."

SFIV: "Street Fighter IV has sold 3.4 million units. Super Street Fighter IV has sold 1.9 million units, in addition to 1.1 million of the Arcade Edition (full game only). Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition sold an additional 1.2 million copies. Ultra Street Fighter IV has sold 500,000 copies (full game only, without counting PS4 version) by September 30, 2014. This adds up to sales of more than 8.1 million copies in total. Upon its release, the game received universal critical acclaim; receiving universally high scores from many gaming websites and magazines. It has also been listed among the greatest games of its generation."

I thought SF was wayyyyy more popular.

Imagine that Mortal Kombat X managed to sneak in the US top 10 best sellers of the full year 2015. That's of course totally specific to the US market.

Street Fighter V ? I wish to see it on the top 10 of February, but I'm not even 100% sure that will be the case.

MK9: "Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, publisher of NetherRealm Studios’ Mortal Kombat, reported that Mortal Kombat had sold close to three million units as of August 2011."

MKX "In October 2015, Warner Bros. confirmed that Mortal Kombat X has sold 5 million copies worldwide."

SFIV: "Street Fighter IV has sold 3.4 million units. Super Street Fighter IV has sold 1.9 million units, in addition to 1.1 million of the Arcade Edition (full game only). Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition sold an additional 1.2 million copies. Ultra Street Fighter IV has sold 500,000 copies (full game only, without counting PS4 version) by September 30, 2014. This adds up to sales of more than 8.1 million copies in total. Upon its release, the game received universal critical acclaim; receiving universally high scores from many gaming websites and magazines. It has also been listed among the greatest games of its generation."

Good start to a breakdown. Let's compare days out from game release like for like. So how much had SF4 vanilla sold x days after launch vs. MK9 the same x days after launch. Same for MKX...

Someone please post comparative statistics so we don't need to speculate.

MK is great for having fun with friends. I must be a filthy casual scrub for not hating the series.

Into

Because the vast majority of people are not interested in FGC, masturbating over Daigo videos, counting frames or hanging out on Shoryuken forums.

I dont mean to sound condescending, i do think SF has always been a better game in terms of gameplay. But for people who just want a game where they can fight and get some enjoyment out of single player and casual play, MK is way better.

If Street Fighter had a mode similar to what Virtua Fighter 4 Evo had, then SF would be better on all fronts, but it does not.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I love the great single player story mode content in MK9 and MKX. It's always been a better buy for me.

Being a local brand makes it easier to push and honestly everyone knows MK because of the early controversy so it remained a cultural touchstone.

Seyavesh

robin shou, clearly
T08d9Wg.jpg

ignore that he was in dead or alive and sf: legend of chun li

dlauv

Edgy character art, more pronounced cultural iconography, and easy-to-grasp Eastern concepts for westerners.

Not to mention the story mode and violence.

It just flat-out has more mainstream appeal. And it's not like they're bad fighters either.

gelf

I've always preferred playing Street Fighter but it wouldn't surprise me if MK sold more. It's best entries have done a better job of appealing to the casual players and not just focusing on the fighting game community. Originally the differentiating factor would have simply have been the harder edge and gore but now its expanded to much more in the way of more play modes that are welcoming to the casual player.

I've yet to play it myself but MKX seems to have gained fans from both ends of the spectrum rather then just focusing on one group.

Neoxon

Edgy character art, more pronounced cultural iconography, and easy-to-grasp Eastern concepts for westerners.

Not to mention the story mode and violence.

It just flat-out has more mainstream appeal. And it's not like they're bad fighters either.
Nailed it.

Granted, Street Fighter V will be getting a Cinematic Story Mode in June, but still.

Griss

European here. I prefer MK because it has plenty of proper single player content and the characters are more interesting to me. They actually have stories - cheesy kung-fooey stories, sure, but stories none the less. Makes me enjoy playing as them more.

I don't play online so if a game doesn't have good content it's useless to me. Also the Street Fighter artstyle doesn't appeal to me at all.

Warxard

Banned
Mortal Kombat has always had a significant presence in every single generation. Street Fighter took a gen off before we got a sequel

Also MKX sold FIVE MILLION COPIES GOT DAMN

Fbh

Focus on over the top hyper violent fatality

More single player content with an actual story mode.

And I think more importantly, it's more casual friendly. I've seen it with my friends, MK is still kinda fun even if 2 people that have no idea what they are doing are playing. And while most can appreciate the competitive and high level aspect of SF they don't find it very fun to play if you are not that into fighting games and don't play them regularly

Top Bottom