• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter, why is MK more popular in the US?

SSReborn

You also have to recognize at its core mk is a very good fighting game. It's mechanics are very solid. You don't sell 5m+ on gore alone. These threads piss me off because mk's sales need to be explained as if it's some sort of peculiar anomaly. Like "how can this thing that's not Tekken be so popular!" the sales are high because it's a very good game.

You're the one who chooses to look at the situation in that light. The thread is asking why its more popular in this specific region not whether or not it deserves the popularity it has.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I think the general western public has an easier time digesting a realistic art direction more so than anime based ones.

I wish the Asian based markets embraced MKX or even had the chance to. It'd be worth it alone just to see all the different play styles. The Asian markets always seem so xenophobic when comes to most western based products within the realm of gaming. I know mobile dominance in that region is a large part of that but it still makes me wanna throw shade. lol.

All that crap aside this feels like a fighting game renaissance atm with something for everyone. Even though everyone has their favorites that which game is better crap only hurts the community imo.

i actually think that SF V could hit 5 MIO LTD if everything goes right.

This time there is only one version of Street Fighter over the generation, so unlike SFIV (that was replaced by new editions) people will only buy this one SF Game over the next years, which is why SFV should have stronger legs than SFIV.

Also Capcom focusing on ESports this time should gain a lot more attention over web, even tough SFIV was already the most popular ESports Fighting Game after Melee

Also last gen the 360 was dominating the US Market, which is why i think the Xbox sales for SFIV were good on 360. But since the Ps4 is now dominating, the exkclusivity shouldn't hurt that much

entremet

I think the general western public has an easier time digesting a realistic art direction more so than anime based ones.

I wish the Asian based markets embraced MKX or even had the chance to. It'd be worth it alone just to see all the different play styles. The Asian markets always seem so xenophobic when comes to most western based products within the realm of gaming. I know mobile dominance in that region is a large part of that but it still makes me wanna throw shade. lol.

All that crap aside this feels like a fighting game renaissance atm with something for everyone. Even though everyone has their favorites that which game is better crap only hurts the community imo.
It's not xenophobia, but preferences.

Disney stuff is really popular in Japan and it is technically Western.

Didn't help that Western developers fell in love with gray and brown in generation 7.

J_Viper

As a casual fan, I very much enjoyed how simplistic and forgiving MKX was compared to my brief time with SF4. I doubt I'm alone in that regard.

That being said, I'm enjoy the feel of SFV so far. The input timing is a whole my speed than SF4 was by far

Celine

Personally I expect vanilla SFV LTD to be lower than vanilla SFIV LTD.
The only thing that may change that is if "vanilla" SFV is indeed the only version (with DLC to upgrade the game).

EDIT:
Well that and also how well it will perform on PC...

Eidan

I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised that MK is very popular and sells comparably and sometimes better. Fighting games have long been defined by the success of TWO franchises, SF and MK.

I'm not a big fighting game person outside of Super Smash Bros. and I really like Mortal Kombat. The combat is easily approachable and the massive amount of single-player content appeals heavily to me. I don't play online very much but I like the story mode and the challenge towers a lot. The Krypt was a fun thing to play around with in MKX as well.

I like Street Fighter but as such a casual player who can't even really pull off a Shoryuken I just get bodied all day when I play online. I feel like the only non-online modes they have are a really barebones Arcade mode and then the training stuff. It's really all there just so you can play with others online.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Better (or at least cooler looking) characters.Seems easier to pick up and play.The gore is fun. MK games also tend to have much better single player modes. Least those are some of the reasons I prefer MK.But that said I would fully admit that SF is mechanically the better fighter.

PantsuJo

Violence&Gore is the answer, of course.

European here. I strongly prefer SF but MK is funny in a "different way". Plus, it's more "easy" and accessible to a large amount of players.

For one I think more people are nostalgic for MK because it was their first violent video game and more kids probably had the home versions. And the general American audience is much less serious about fighting games and MK is a much more casual game (plus now they've got the whole novelty thing going on with all the movie characters).

Ryng_tolu

Banned
It's just a question of time, Smash is going to have the first spot since Smash games sell much more than any other fighting game franchises.

Yup. And the Series continue to increase:

64 - 5.55m
Melee - 7.41m
Brawl - 12.93m
U/3DS - 11.40 as For September 2015 ( Will be easy >15 million LT )

MK has had more content than SF for a while now and all the gore can be a big plus for selling to the young and middle aged western male demographic. Nothing wrong with the latter, but I guess that gets some people on both sides of the aisle uncomfortable for some reason.

Johndoey

Banned
The movie has endured and helped keep the franchise relevant and the games have more story content and side business to keep scrubs like me busy, especially with the ps2 era games.

Shadybiz

Not sure; I always preferred Street Fighter myself, but a lot of that might be because I detest having to use an actual button for "Block."

Darius

Banned
violence and gore have been pretty much what made the IP popular to begin with and still are the focus in its overall design and marketing.

Powerpuff

Europe here too and both SF and MK are popular but Street Fighter seems more important.

Where? The MK cast is way more known among my friend circles.Even my sister who doesn't play games knows who Sonya and Sub Zero are. But I only know like one guy who plays SF and he's a bigger nerd than I am (which is saying something). From this highly scientific data I conclude that anybody who plays Street Fighter is a nerddddddddddddddd.

It would be the opposite with my girlfriend. She couldn't tell the name of a single MK character but knows most of the SF2 cast.

Q8D3vil

NRS really fucked up MK community with the netcode, if they had a decent netcode at launch i wouldnt be surprised if the competitive scene was twice as big than the current one.

SF have much bigger and dedicated community in so many countries though.

Reset

Maybe because MK offers decent single player content and has a fun multiplayer as well. While SF's single player content is ass.

entremet

And SF4 needed 5 versions across 5 platforms to not even sell as much as vanilla Tekken 3.

Tekken has been going nonstop for 20 years. SF barely reached its 10th anniversary before it died and went MIA. Just some perspective, hm.

Tekken 3 was an amazing success for Namco, but that was during the PS1's heyday. Much different times.

The last few Tekken installments didn't come close to that.

petghost

Banned
You also have to recognize at its core mk is a very good fighting game. It's mechanics are very solid. You don't sell 5m+ on gore alone. These threads piss me off because mk's sales need to be explained as if it's some sort of peculiar anomaly. Like "how can this thing that's not Tekken be so popular!" the sales are high because it's a very good game.

i agree that they are slowly learning how to create fighting games but they released like ten years or more of complete disasters with no real mechanical foundation ... how do account for the sales of whatever awful mk game from that time period? even mk9, their big return to form was mechanically a mess. there was a reason they had to patch that shit so often.

Well I have only really loved 1 MK game and that was UMK3 so I am bias. I don't think playing MK is all that fun anymore but, that's me and you are right.

Then again I have only ever liked 1 Street Fighter (string) of games with SF3 over all too. So I have no horse in either of these franchises.

I am liking the SFV beta though at the moment.

Because the vast majority of people are not interested in FGC, masturbating over Daigo videos, counting frames or hanging out on Shoryuken forums.

I dont mean to sound condescending, i do think SF has always been a better game in terms of gameplay. But for people who just want a game where they can fight and get some enjoyment out of single player and casual play, MK is way better.

If Street Fighter had a mode similar to what Virtua Fighter 4 Evo had, then SF would be better on all fronts, but it does not.
As a non fighting game fan this is it. I can play mk and have fun. The combos as simpler and I can do fun stuff without learning for hours. I'm a causual player and mk is way more accessible. I respect fighting games I just am more likely to spend my money on mk than street fighter.

And it's funny you mention vf4evo because that was the last Japanese fighting game that I really spend a lot of time on.

i agree that they are slowly learning how to create fighting games but they released like ten years or more of complete disasters with no real mechanical foundation ... how do account for the sales of whatever awful mk game from that time period? even mk9, their big return to form was mechanically a mess. there was a reason they had to patch that shit so often.
As a non fighting game fan I have no idea what you mean by mechanically a mess. The games have all felt fine since the last two ps2 era games (Armageddon?)

Atomski

Maybe im crazy but I have a hard time imagining that SF has not sold more than MK as a whole. Specially last gen.. There was how many SF versions released last gen and like one bad MK game.

Anyways yeah.. weird way to judge merica without some actual numbers.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
MK is a solid fighter at its core, but on top of that, they have established their characters, their relationships and worlds with storylines that are easy to follow and as a result, people became invested in the franchise. Throw in the over the top violence, variety of content and ways to play and...it's pretty easy to see why MK has done so well as of late.

Outside of gameplay and legacy, SF has NONE of that. No clear character direction, ages, storyline, relationships, or pretty much anything to relate to them on almost any level.

Celine

Maybe im crazy but I have a hard time imagining that SF has not sold more than MK as a whole. Specially last gen.. There was how many SF versions released last gen and like one bad MK game.

Anyways yeah.. weird way to judge merica without some actual numbers.
You are underestimating Mortal Kombat in America.
In US MK and MK vs DC sold more than SFIV and SSFIV.

This time there is only one version of Street Fighter over the generation, so unlike SFIV (that was replaced by new editions) people will only buy this one SF Game over the next years, which is why SFV should have stronger legs than SFIV.

Also Capcom focusing on ESports this time should gain a lot more attention over web, even tough SFIV was already the most popular ESports Fighting Game after Melee

This is what I'm hoping for as well. I think the game will hit 3 million by the time sales basically die down. So I'm hoping that the E-sports movement will help move units consistently over the next 3-4 years. Hopefully it can continue attracing new players who start watching the tournaments as the tournament scene grows over the years.

Sheroking

Being the better game for the last two titles.

Here's hoping SFV is good enough to be real competition!

Competition for what? Units sold?

The Street Fighter 4 series has sold a combined 8M units over it's very long life, a lifecycle that by the way, will probably be longer than MK9, Injustice and MKX combined. It's unlikely MKX will sell 8M before it goes away for good, and very likely Street Fighter 5 will be a multi-platinum selling game in short order.

Even if MKX did have wider casual interest and sales power in the US, these are people buying the game, playing it's SP content, watching shit on twitch for a couple months and then taking off. USF4 has been the bigger stream game between the two since ~June and generates more entrants, more interest and bigger paydays.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Street Fighter is very popular in the U.S., as is MK. BOTH were huge hits in American arcades.

It seems like there's a narrative to say MK is somehow preferred because the U.S. Loves blood and gore.

Bleepey

MK9: "Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, publisher of NetherRealm Studios’ Mortal Kombat, reported that Mortal Kombat had sold close to three million units as of August 2011."

MKX "In October 2015, Warner Bros. confirmed that Mortal Kombat X has sold 5 million copies worldwide."

SFIV: "Street Fighter IV has sold 3.4 million units. Super Street Fighter IV has sold 1.9 million units, in addition to 1.1 million of the Arcade Edition (full game only). Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition sold an additional 1.2 million copies. Ultra Street Fighter IV has sold 500,000 copies (full game only, without counting PS4 version) by September 30, 2014. This adds up to sales of more than 8.1 million copies in total. Upon its release, the game received universal critical acclaim; receiving universally high scores from many gaming websites and magazines. It has also been listed among the greatest games of its generation."
MK is not allowed to be sold in Japan and i doubt your figures include DLC. Also does it include complete edition for MK?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Because of this
maxresdefault.jpg

I don't feel that it is. From what I've seen, MK games have good attendance for a year, then the casuals disappear and tournament attendence and spectatorship drops with it. SF is more popular in the long-term, with a stronger, competitive community, even in the US.

I could be wrong though. I mean, I'm from the UK, what do I know.

I don't feel that it is. From what I've seen, MK games have good attendance for a year, then the casuals disappear and tournament attendence and spectatorship drops with it. SF is more popular in the long-term, with a stronger, competitive community, even in the US.

I could be wrong though. I mean, I'm from the UK, what do I know.
Yeah even though SFV will probably not sell as good as MK it has better player retention.

MK is a bigger game.

At the core, it is a highly competitive fighting game. On the outside, it is a complete package with campaign, online, faction wars, all sweet gore movies etc. I think that all the blood and violence does add unique value, but that is not the main selling point.

You should also look at the history of both games. MK was a household fighting game for PSX/PS2/Xbox generations in the west. Tekken was popular too, where Street Fighter wasn't on those consoles. MK mechanics are iconic: uppercuts, blocks, some character movies. Characters themselves are popular: Scorpion, SubZero, Jax, Goro etc.

So in the end, you get an iconic brand backed by a huge publisher. The game itself is reviewed very well and packs a ton of value.

Csr

I saw the numbers in the thread and i am not sure how to interpret them.
The SFIV series in total has more copies sold than MK9, MKX and vanilla SFIV has more copies than MK9, but MKX has more copies sold than any one version of SFIV. Also we don't have numbers for U.S ltd or any upgrade sfiv versions which i imagine are a lot since those are a lot cheaper and is what most people who had previous versions would chose.

I think it is true though that MK is more popular with the casuals because of the single player content and SF is more popular with the fgc. It was a wasted opportunity imo for SFV to not include a more complete package with a few more single player modes this time, even if it was silly low budget stuff like those mk challenges, towerthingies whatever it was called.

Top Bottom