• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter, why is MK more popular in the US?

Fraeon

But that's true for FPS, too. The AI is braindead. You play not for the challenge but the setpieces, world building, crazy action scenes, and the story.

Eh, that's not really true for every case. The Halo games have AI that at least feels like you're playing against characters that are on equal footing with you. That and the stages provide a variety of options on how to approach situations.

The "1-on-1 with a static arena" nature kind of already limits what you can do as far as scenes and set pieces go and unless you have decent AI (which, let's face it, fighting games don't really) there's not much to see outside of the core combat.

please tell me what is qualitatively different about a fighting game's gameplay compared against, say, a chatacter action game which prevents it from being able to have a narrative.

If we're talking about 1-on-1 fighting games, you can do cutscenes but environmental storytelling is quite a bit harder when the way you move through arenas is limited. Of course you could do a Tekken style Evil Within style mode but then you're making a completely different game in addition to the fighting game. Which is completely fine as an approach if you're willing to commit to it but Tekken 6 shows how that can go wrong.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Most of this thread is missing the point. There have been a couple of good posts that have touched the heart of the issue but most has been insular forum arguing. MK is really popular in the USA but not as a game but as a brand. There are lots of people that like the brand that have never touched the game. I won't retread what a couple of good posts said about other merchandise and leave this instead. In the USA you can walk into a Wal-Mart and in the clothing section buy Mortal Kombat shirts.

Just the games, street fighter has always been more popular in enthusiast circles but if you just do it by games and game sales numbers neither are very popular in the US.

TL;DR

It's all about the brand not the game.

The fuck are you talking about? MKX was unquestionably one of the highest selling games of 2015 and these games have been selling millions of copies for 20+ years. Just because COD sells 20 million copies every year doesn't mean anything that sells less than that isn't popular or successful.

My point being that why would they look at lack of viability in Europe for MKvSF but not lack of viability in US for TvC? That's why I don't buy into the viability argument.

I also don't know if I buy this considering they didn't get any Japanese Marvel character voices in MvC3. This may have been a Marvel hangup but we have no way of knowing either way. Regardless, that "passion" leaves many games not released overseas so why is TvC considered a passion project but some of the Phoenix Wright games aren't?

Yes and SFxT underperformed, these things are hard to gauge.

I have no idea why you keep bringing up Europe, I don't think I ever mentioned it. I'm sure someone else did, let them argue their case.

The VA thing was definitely a Marvel mandate, they were very stringent about how they expected their characters to be depicted. There were a ton of stories about how they were vetoing all sorts of shit up to and including game systems (they didn't want universal air dash because "xyz character shouldn't fly" or something)

I mentioned SFxTK before as an example of how you can't just assume the crossover/"event" factor is enough to carry a game or guarantee success, and that's a game that's a infinitely better fit for a SF crossover than MK. I really do think SFxMK is a monkeypaw wish.

@MUWANdo

Banned
SF5 is a service game on a limited number of platforms so direct comparisons to MKX aren't really useful in that regard.

Matty77

The fuck are you talking about? MKX was unquestionably one of the highest selling games of 2015 and these games have been selling millions of copies for 20+ years. Just because COD sells 20 million copies every year doesn't mean anything that sells less than that isn't popular or successful.
I am talking about the original question, which was why does Mortal Kombat resonate more with an American audience, which the answer to is the cultural impact it has because of crossover appeal thanks to its multimedia presence and larger awareness in the early days thanks to controversy, not sales numbers or popularity within just the hobby.

I am not saying either game is not popular or does not sell to videogame enthusiasts because they do, especially in the FGC community. My thoughts were rushed so I probably worded my first post badly I am not saying their numbers are minor, but they are not big enough to make any major impact outside gaming circles, people on GAF seem to forget we are not even the majority within videogame players, which is outnumbered by groups that don't game, at least in an enthusiast sense.

So from a just game standpoint you cannot even begin to answer, especially considering these two games are the only ones that gained true mindshare in the USA thanks to multimedia pushes outside of gaming circles, why MK has the presence in the American consciousness just by looking at sales numbers or button inputs, or really anything that applies only to people that play games on a regular basis.

MKX is a much easier game to pick up and play. Casual players aren't intimidated by combos because the game has them built-in as a simple "dial-in" mechanic, and lists out the most basic inputs. The crazier juggles are a lot more complex to pull off, but newbies shouldn't have any difficulty grasping a character like Sub-Zero or Jax. Plus, celebrity appeal; who doesn't want to play a fighting game where you can be Jason Voorhees, the Predator, an Alien, or Leatherface?

Street Fighter isn't impossible for beginners, but the game's tutorials are--let's face it--not that great. You need to really involve yourself in that community to understand where and how to improve. Not to mention that high levels of play in SF4 are so ludicrously out there that I can't help but sympathize with folks who are turned away by the sheer complexity of tournament-level SF4.

Bleepey

I have no idea why you keep bringing up Europe, I don't think I ever mentioned it. I'm sure someone else did, let them argue their case.

The VA thing was definitely a Marvel mandate, they were very stringent about how they expected their characters to be depicted. There were a ton of stories about how they were vetoing all sorts of shit up to and including game systems (they didn't want universal air dash because "xyz character shouldn't fly" or something)

I mentioned SFxTK before as an example of how you can't just assume the crossover/"event" factor is enough to carry a game or guarantee success, and that's a game that's a infinitely better fit for a SF crossover than MK. I really do think SFxMK is a monkeypaw wish.

Can someone explain to me how SF crossing over with tekken makes any sort of sense? Like any sense gameplay wise. I am not opposed to the crossover I just don't get why anyone argues it makes more sense than MK VS SF.

please tell me what is qualitatively different about a fighting game's gameplay compared against, say, a chatacter action game which prevents it from being able to have a narrative.
It's quite simple. A well designed fighter has a very iconic design. Looking at a character like Ryu you immediately know what he's about: straightforward karateka guy, white gi because he is sort of "pure", bare foot because no pain no gain. You can find very interesting readings about SFII's character design (I'm on phone, so have mercy and look it up yourself). SF's haracter are designed like suoer heroes.
A fighting game needs desperstely to design their characters this way. Characters fighting is everything the game is all about.

Action games and many other don't need that. It can be good but it's not mandatory. Developers can make a random beardy 30 something caucasian male with brown hair, a gun in hand, dressed with everyday clothes or military outfit and call it a day.

Compbros

Because the original argument stems from MK not being viable in Europe as a reason Capcom didn't wanna do MK v SF so then you interjected with how it's about what Capcom Japan wants to do to which I countered why bring over TvC and not Phoenix Wright games if it's about lack of viability in a market. I saw it as you taking over the original argument as opposed to a brand new one.

Yeah, I remember those stories and being super bummed about it, that they even had huge pull in who the CAPCOM characters that could and couldn't be in.

SFxT sold very well it's first month, 1.4 in less than a month. But it slowed to a trickle because of bad word of mouth, questionable mechanics (gems and some being pay to win), on-disc DLC, and more. On top of that it was coming off a very bad pr hit with Cross Assault's sexism stuff. Even with all that though it still did 1.4 in a few weeks. Anything close to mechanically sound without all the nonsense and controversy will do gangbusters. I think TxSF might be the true test.

It's kind of like soccer vs. American football. Soccer is the world's most popular sport, but American football is considerably more popular in the US.

The last two MK games were fantastic, but I am not sure why it resonates with the American audience much more than SF. Thoughts?

Fatalities
Blood
Gore
Extreme violence
Bloody
Gory
More realistic graphics
Character designs and themes appeal more to Western gamers.
Darker, more serious setting, less comedic atmosphere.
More content
Easier to pick up and play. Mechanics probably easier to grasp for casuals. No FADC.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
It's quite simple. A well designed fighter has a very iconic design. Looking at a character like Ryu you immediately know what he's about: straightforward karateka guy, white gi because he is sort of "pure", bare foot because no pain no gain. You can find very interesting readings about SFII's character design (I'm on phone, so have mercy and look it up yourself). SF's haracter are designed like suoer heroes.
A fighting game needs desperstely to design their characters this way. Characters fighting is everything the game is all about.

Action games and many other don't need that. It can be good but it's not mandatory. Developers can make a random beardy 30 something caucasian male with brown hair, a gun in hand, dressed with everyday clothes or military outfit and call it a day.
so you dont think bayonetta or dante have "iconic designs"?

danmaku

Can someone explain to me how SF crossing over with tekken makes any sort of sense? Like any sense gameplay wise. I am not opposed to the crossover I just don't get why anyone argues it makes more sense than MK VS SF.

It makes more sense because Tekken and SF are two of the most popular fighting franchises in Asia and they are popular in the West too. MK is only popular in the West. The gameplay is very different, that's why each company was going to make their own version. Namco probably postponed TxSF after SFxT bombed, but they're still making it and we'll probably see something after T7 releases.
Also, the art direction is much more compatible (they're both anime, basically). MK has a pseudo-realistic art style that wouldn't work well with SF, and its violence level is way too much for SF standards. I also doubt Capcom and SF fans would like to see their characters torn to pieces in MK. MK vs DC universe had toned down fatalities for the same reason iirc.

Compbros

Fixed for accuracy, also taking into account it released on PS3, 360, PC, 3DS, and PS4.

Also taking into account that SFIV could not be upgrading to SSFIV so anyone that wanted the later patch of SF had to rebuy the game.

Fixed for accuracy, also taking into account it released on PS3, 360, PC, 3DS, and PS4.

Its still the same game though. MK got DLC too, Capcom just did it differently and all those different version sold less than its predecessor. If it wasnt for SFV, SFIV would of been at EVO this year. MK9 would not be anywhere close to EVO even if MKX didnt exist.

Also taking into account that SFIV could not be upgrading to SSFIV so anyone that wanted the later patch of SF had to rebuy the game.

Thats extremely Telling which game is more popular.

AAK

Its still the same game though. MK got DLC too, Capcom just did it differently and all those different version sold less than its predecessor. If it wasnt for SFV, SFIV would of been at EVO this year. MK9 would not be anywhere close to EVO even if MKX didnt exist.

I'm not talking about evo or anything. What you posted initially was false. MK9 sold way more than SF4. It's only when you add SSF4, and Ultra does it overtake MK9.

I'm not talking about evo or anything. What you posted initially was false. MK9 sold way more than SF4. It's only when you add SSF4, and Ultra does it overtake MK9.

Im talking about series over time. Both came out in 2009 and regardless of upgrades it still one series. SF4 couldnt be directly upgrade, it was done differently compared to MK. You cant just say SF4, when SSF4 and USF4 exist.

Compbros

I don't believe that at all, MK9 got taken out for Injustice (they two were in the same EVO at one point). There's always this stigma that NRS games die quickly but MK9 had over 115 entrants at a major 20 months after its release. The game was still going strong and consistently in the top 4 entered games as all NRS game tend to be.

SF4 didn't need Ultra to outsell MK9. MK9 sold less than 4 million copies according to Boon. Even if you add the Komplete Edition, Vanilla + Super sold more.

Compbros

SF4 didn't need Ultra to outsell MK9. MK9 sold less than 4 million copies according to Boon. Even if you add the Komplete Edition, Vanilla + Super sold more.

Again, Vanilla + Super are incompatible so a lot of the audience of Super will be from Vanilla.

Bleepey

It makes more sense because Tekken and SF are two of the most popular fighting franchises in Asia and they are popular in the West too. MK is only popular in the West.

So. SNK is popular only in Mexico and Asia didn't stop a crossover happening. Hell in the former it's popular only due to piracy

The gameplay is very different, that's why each company was going to make their own version. Namco probably postponed TxSF after SFxT bombed, but they're still making it and we'll probably see something after T7 releases.

MK shares more gameplay wise than Tekken and that didn't stop a game SF crossing with Tekken.. Hell MK shares more gameplay wise with Tekken than SF does especially if you count the 3d games. As for SFxT bombing, the bullshit gem system, DLC bullshit and not being that fun a game is why that game failed. Shame really.

Also, the art direction is much more compatible (they're both anime, basically). MK has a pseudo-realistic art style that wouldn't work well with SF, and its violence level is way too much for SF standards. I also doubt Capcom and SF fans would like to see their characters torn to pieces in MK. MK vs DC universe had toned down fatalities for the same reason iirc.

Art style is a redundant point, both games change artstyle from game to game and the combined brains of Capcom and NRS could cook something up that's faithful to both franchises. Also, MK looks closer to SF than Tekken does to it. Only remotely relevant point is violence. You sound like those people who say they don't want blood in their SF yet forget World Warrior had a shit tonne of blood in it. Maybe they only played the SNES version or something. Oh and MK vs DC had toned down violence and yet still sold a shit tonne. That doesn't help your argument.

DR2K

Banned

But you don't have numbers for the PS4 version and the 3DS numbers even without them outpace MK9. If your goal is accuracy. MK9 released on PS3, PC, 360, and Vita and had a GOTY edition.

zoobzone

tmIAbby.jpg

I thought people were into MK because of the crazy character designs /s

I guess it's because there were more mainline MK releases over the time SF4 came out. The amount of violence in MK adds to that as well.

Shadoken

So much misinformation here. Even without the Repeat audience and stuff. (And honestly you cant say 100% of people who bought SSF4 carried over from SF4. There were plenty of new buyers over time. SSF4 only sold around 400k at launch. ) . But even giving it the benefit of doubt. Each game did pretty big numbers on Retail.

I'm not talking about evo or anything. What you posted initially was false. MK9 sold way more than SF4.

Are you only talking about US or WW?

SF4 Outsold MK9 ( 3.4m vs 3.0m ) , Those boon MK9 figures were after KE,Vita,PC..etc in 2013. SF4 has been at 3.4 since SSF4 came out.
SSF4 (PS3/360) + AE ( Retail only) + USF4 (Retail only) Outsold MK9 ( 3.5m vs 3.0m)
Not even counting 3DS.

You argue about repeat audience but "Way more" ? Not really.

It's only when you add SSF4, and Ultra does it overtake MK9.

Huh? if you add in Ultra,3DS..etc SF4 series is at 8.1 million. That is more than Double of MK9. Not counting DLC upgrades ofc and PS4 ver ( No info on it )

Well if you put it that way. SF4 stopped selling 1 year after release because SSF4 was on the shelves. SSF4 essentially replaced SF4 SKU.
So even if you ONLY count SSF4 it pretty convincingly beats out MK9.

SSF4 - 1.9m
SSF4 3DS - 1.2m
AE ( Physical Retail Only Not counting DLC Upgrade ) - 1.1m
USF4 ( Physical Retail Only Not counting DLC Upgrade ) - 500k

This is without counting AE and USF4 DLC upgrades because obviously those are the same owners. The physical copies on the other hand are essentially GOTY editions , since they just add the DLC to the base game. Nobody apart from new buyers or Tourney organizers would be interested in those.

SSF4 was able to have way longer legs than MK9 because the game was supported very well. And even if you want to just count initial release , SF4 is on the same lines as MK9 despite being just out for a year and not including any GOTY editions.

But you don't have numbers for the PS4 version and the 3DS numbers even without them outpace MK9. If your goal is accuracy. MK9 released on PS3, PC, 360, and Vita and had a GOTY edition.
Capcom havent even released any information about the PS4 USF4 sales. So its not even counted in all these numbers anyway.

With that said I am sure SFV wont top MK Xs 5 million figure in one year ( Unless it REALLY takes off on PC ) . But over the years I am certain SFV will be higher that MKX+XL..etc.

danmaku

So. SNK is popular only in Mexico and Asia didn't stop a crossover happening. Hell in the former it's popular only due to piracy

The crossovers you're talking about were made in the early 2000, when Japanese devs focused on their home market and didn't give a damn about the rest of the world. SNK and Capcom were the two big fighting game devs in Japan and that's what mattered. Now everything's changed.

MK shares more gameplay wise than Tekken and that didn't stop a game SF crossing with Tekken.. Hell MK shares more gameplay wise with Tekken than SF does especially if you count the 3d games. As for SFxT bombing, the bullshit gem system, DLC bullshit and not being that fun a game is why that game failed. Shame really.

ok...? What I'm saying is, they made two games because they knew gameplay was very different. Not really a problem for any crossover.

Art style is a redundant point, both games change artstyle from game to game and the combined brains of Capcom and NRS could cook something up that's faithful to both franchises. Also, MK looks closer to SF than Tekken does to it. Only remotely relevant point is violence. You sound like those people who say they don't want blood in their SF yet forget World Warrior had a shit tonne of blood in it. Maybe they only played the SNES version or something. Oh and MK vs DC had toned down violence and yet still sold a shit tonne. That doesn't help your argument.

I guess we disagree here, because I think SF and Tekken are quite close (Tekken is a bit more realistic but still anime as fuck) whil MK has nothing to do with both. SF2 was pretty violent for its time but it was nothing compared to MK and after that Capcom toned the violence down with Zero/3/4. MK instead became so violent that now some gamers find it uncomfortable. The two series are going in opposite directions in terms of art style, I'm not even a Street Fighter fan and I still think a crossover makes zero sense.

Compbros

Well if you put it that way. SF4 stopped selling 1 year after release because SSF4 was on the shelves. SSF4 essentially replaced SF4 SKU.
So even if you ONLY count SSF4 it pretty convincingly beats out MK9.

SSF4 - 1.9m
SSF4 3DS - 1.2m
AE ( Physical Retail only ) - 1.1m
USF4 ( Physical Retail Only ) - 500k

This is without counting AE and USF4 DLC upgrades because obviously those are the same owners. The physical copies on the other hand are essentially GOTY editions , since they just add the DLC to the base game. Nobody apart from new buyers or Tourney organizers would be interested in those.

SSF4 was able to have way longer legs than MK9 because the game was supported very well. And even if you want to just count initial release , SF4 is on the same lines as MK9 despite being just out for a year and not including any GOTY editions.

SSFIV was also on the market with "new" releases practically yearly for 5 years. MK9 got it's last release the same year as its first. No, you can't say no one besides new buyers would be interested because I picked up a physical SSFIV:AE disc for my 360 while I had SSFIV digital on my PS3. On top of that in the case of something like Ultra (can't remember if it was the same for AE) they included all costumes/dlc which was cheaper to purchase than all DLC + the upgrade.

You also have to realize you're providing Worldwide SFIV numbers when this topic is about why MK is more popular in the US.

SSF4 - 1.9m
SSF4 3DS - 1.2m
AE ( Physical Retail only ) - 1.1m
USF4 ( Physical Retail Only ) - 500k

These numbers are funny. I know most SF fans purchased this game a minimum of two times. Some people have every version of this game. This is just sad. Thank god Capcom is not quite as greedy as it was last gen. The truth is obvious that MK is now king of the hill.

petran79

Banned
The crossovers you're talking about were made in the early 2000, when Japanese devs focused on their home market and didn't give a damn about the rest of the world. SNK and Capcom were the two big fighting game devs in Japan and that's what mattered. Now everything's changed.

SNK did care about Latin America. They had representatives there.They even outsourced Rage of the Dragons to a Mexican video game production company.

SSReborn

I think a Street Fighter vs MK game could be dope.
Thematically how does that work though? Not to mention mechanically with one having a block button and one not? I kind of feel with the way MK is it doesn't lend itself well to franchise versus games. Would love to be proven wrong tho.

Sf2 had a ton of gore? Memory must be failing me because I only remeber throw up colored red after certain hard hits and bloody/bruised pics of your character after a loss.

I remember it being nothing like MK. In fact, I remember telling my mom to bring back MK2 to the store because it was uncomfortably violent for me at 8 years old.

petran79

Banned
Vega's claws had a blood effect on hit, Blanca's and Zangief's bite too in the arcade version.
Was negatively surprised when SF4 removed it

Sf2 had a ton of gore? Memory must be failing me because I only remeber throw up colored red after certain hard hits and bloody/bruised pics of your character after a loss.

I remember it being nothing like MK. In fact, I remember telling my mom to bring back MK2 to the store because it was uncomfortably violent for me at 8 years old.

latest
This probably as bad as it gets for SF. Wish they'd bring back Defeat Screens.

Shadoken

These numbers are funny. I know most SF fans purchased this game a minimum of two times. Some people have every version of this game. This is just sad. Thank god Capcom is not quite as greedy as it was last gen. The truth is obvious that MK is now king of the hill.

Umm Those are Physical Retail numbers NOT DLC upgrade numbers. So naturally the sales numbers will go down , because everyone else would just upgrade via DLC. All those versions were available as DLC upgrades for $15. If someone you know went out and bought every goddamn physical version , then thats their problem. They could have easily spent just $15 to upgrade. Its like someone going out and buying a GOTY edition again instead of just buying the DLC.

Apart from SF4->SSF4. Every other upgrade is available for $15.

Which is why I never included SF4 in the part you quoted :)

SSFIV was also on the market with "new" releases practically yearly for 5 years. MK9 got it's last release the same year as its first. No, you can't say no one besides new buyers would be interested because I picked up a physical SSFIV:AE disc for my 360 while I had SSFIV digital on my PS3. On top of that in the case of something like Ultra (can't remember if it was the same for AE) they included all costumes/dlc which was cheaper to purchase than all DLC + the upgrade. .

How is this a common occurrence ? You did it ok. But that doesn't mean people wouldn't have bought MK on PS3 and then KE on 360 too.

You also have to realize you're providing Worldwide SFIV numbers when this topic is about why MK is more popular in the US.

Well nobody has the split up. And even Capcom have stated US is the main market. The game barely sells over 100k in Japan. So even in the US , I doubt MK and SF are that far apart as some people here are making it out to be. Its not like the huge gap between American Football and Soccer here.

Btw those numbers were mostly because that other poster was saying it took SF4,SSF4,AE and USF to top MK9. Which is untrue.

Compbros

How is this a common occurrence ? You did it ok. But that doesn't mean people wouldn't have bought MK on PS3 and then KE on 360 too.

Well nobody has the split up. And even Capcom have stated US is the main market. The game barely sells over 100k in Japan. So even in the US , I doubt MK and SF are that far apart as some people here are making it out to be. Its not like the huge gap between American Football and Soccer here.

Btw those numbers were mostly because that other poster was saying it took SF4,SSF4,AE and USF to top MK9. Which is untrue.

Did I say it was a common occurrence, it was to show that this statement by you
Nobody apart from new buyers or Tourney organizers would be interested in those.
was wrong by saying I personally did it, people certainly double dipped outside of T.O.s.

Even if US is its main market the US is practically MK's ONLY market. The fact that you concede that MK/SF is close in sales while several parts of the world ignore or can't even purchase MK is a testament to just how strong MK is in the US.

In the US? Who knows.

baphomet

Jesus fucking christ

Edit- just to be clear, the user who bumped this was apparently completely wiped

Last edited:
Top Bottom