• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV Final Import Impressions

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
xeYw5hC.png

Title: Shin Megami Tensei IV Final
Genre: JRPG
Developer: Atlus
Publisher: Atlus
Platform: 3DS
Price digital/physical: 6480 yen + tax [The current tax is 8%]

Game summary:
A direct sequel to SMT IV, yay!

This is the thread for impressions, questions and all the other stuff.
Obviously people will want to discuss the story, but please keep all spoilers, things you heard as rumors and want confirmed etc. in spoiler tags. Or make a separate thread if it gets out of hand.

If anyone wants to make a better op, let me know - I'll add it to this post when I have time and credit you.

Box art (suggestion of cj_iwakura):
dzidnbrn6q4s.jpg

CSX

Atlus USA hasnt announced this yet for localization right?

...should I be worried?

For importers, I think i saw vids of hama and mudo doing dmg AND has chance of insta kill? Is that accurate?

Koppai

Atlus USA hasnt announced this yet for localization right?

...should I be worried?

For importers, I think i saw vids of hama and mudo doing dmg AND has chance of insta kill? Is that accurate?
Nope, don't be worried. 3ds is still going strong.

Does it come with IV "vanilla" or is it a straight sequel? I was about picking up IV due a new eShop sale next week, but I will drop it, if this is the definitve version.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'm sure that the game will be amazing, but SMTIV had my favorite jrpg boss theme ever....and Final's boss theme...is so damn bad. T_T.

D-Man

Does it come with IV "vanilla" or is it a straight sequel? I was about picking up IV due a new eShop sale next week, but I will drop it, if this is the definitve version.
This is a direct sequel to IV, not a reworked version or anything like that. You should definitely pick up IV when you can.

I'm really excited for this one. Hopefully Atlus USA announces a localization fairly soon!

Dugna

Damn this game is already out? I know I read the release date before but still, this is quick. Hope to see some good impressions, I'm not feeling the style of SMT4 but I would probably dig SMT4F since it has some color.

random25

Nice. While I'm gonna get this regardless of impressions, I still would like to see how the SMT4 vets think after playing this game.

Sinople

I thought cj_iwakura was the one doing the OT, or is it for the localized version?

Anyway, just bought it and I'm going to play it right now!

vall03

I just re-checked Atlus USA's games for this year and its only Odin Sphere for June and Persona 5 left. Hopefully, we get some announcements soon.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I thought cj_iwakura was the one doing the OT, or is it for the localized version?

Anyway, just bought it and I'm going to play it right now!
Oh snap, you're right!
Since import threads rarely get the OT treatment (if they're not made by Parakeetman), there was 0 talk about this in the SMT community thread and the game already came out, I totally forgot to check the OT thread.

I bet the mods will come up with something. Close this thread etc.

Sorry, cj_iwakura!

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Oh it's out already? Really curious for impressions as someone that wasn't entirely in love with SMT IV I need to know how much they changed and if the characters go a bit beyond the standard SMT staple of being just personified alignments.

Kanann

12 hours in

story seem a little bit shounen at first with some bloody scene but who knows, it's megaten
doesn't know who chaos who law yet, neither ideals like nocturne
guess this time it's about "faction"
steven guides you about finding a middle ground

map, fighting mechanic, quest, demons, etc. overall get a lot of improvement

too much human characters!

I enjoying final more than smt4normal

playing on hard mode

Kanann

Tell me more.

minimap: easy to navigate, more details, having quest mark, texts

tokyo world map got redesign. now less confuse, enemies won't chase you while roaming

dungeon map stay the same with more useful icon, like show one way doors and some puzzle marks

Shun

I was gonna do this one but the volunteer thread made me think that cj_iwakura was doing the import one cause of the date. I don't think there is a Western date yet.

Good stuff.

Anyway this is exciting and I'll post what to think. A nice way to see how SMTIV: Final compares to #FE as an Atlus RPG. #FE was really good so I am coming into this with higher expectations.

duckroll

When was the last time a Megaten branded game got announced, marketed, and released in Japan without a single word from Atlus USA about localization? Seems pretty unusual...

Kanann

maybe story going a little bit too far this time :p

hope it's wayyyyyy too farrrrr to make me vomit
(I like extremely dark stuffs)

When was the last time a Megaten branded game got announced, marketed, and released in Japan without a single word from Atlus USA about localization? Seems pretty unusual...

I am finding it a bit odd as well, but I am going off of smt iv only though. Thought it sold fairly well in the states. I am curious if this wouldn't be released elsewhere if it would be more to localization cost or the possibility of the NX around the corner.

Top Bottom