• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft expects The Division to be one of the largest new IP launches in history

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I could easily see it happening.

It really did seem to have a great response, and I think it hits very well on not only fitting in with the Borderlands/Diablo/Destiny loot game trend, but also making an accessible AAA implementation of the DayZ idea.

FX-GMC

In Ubisoft's history

Watch_Dogs says please don't forget about me.

To elaborate (since this topic is always going to be based on opinion) Watch_Dogs initial reveal looked just as good to me as The Division's initial reveal. Watch_Dogs release is nowhere near the graphical level of The Division Beta. It's pointless though. Neither of us can prove something subjective.

I'm sure they do. Why wouldn't they? The problem isn't launch, its what is the game going to be like a year and a half from now.

Ridley327

I didn't expect it to be this popular. So between Watch Dogs and Destiny?

Also kind of stretching the definition of a new IP, or are they not using the Tom Clancy name now?

Shit first post.

Isn't the Tom Clancy name more or less a descriptor for somewhat grounded and realistic military-based action games than an actual IP? I think that only Rainbow Six was based on something that already had existed.

.. and the biggest downgrade ever.
TBnUBJ3.gif

Watch Dogs exists.

game will be definitely awesome.. I'm only talking about the downgrade
Then what does it matter?

In relevance to the thread it shows how little the Internet's obsession with 'downgrades' actually matters to consumers if The Division ends up selling as well as projected.

Lister

Banned
Well, they've invested in the PC version and it looks like the best version to own, so they've got my $60.

Strange, many people talk about it with the beta but it isn't as hyped as Watch_Dogs was back in the day, so as Assassin's Creed... I can't see The Division beating them.

I didn't like Destiny and I don't like Borderlands.

I played the Beta and I had fun with it. I don't like tiring myself out of a game like some people did in the Beta playing for like 10 hours plus.

I will definitely be picking it up on sale. I don't want to pay 60 for it.

Downgrade
Downgrade
DOWNGRADE

Everything is downgrade and it's driving me nuts. It looked good and what I could play was fun. I wish them all the best.

Vuze

I personally don't see the appeal but I guess it's not an unrealistic expectation considering the success of Destiny.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Strange, many people talk about it with the beta but it isn't as hyped as Watch_Dogs was back in the day, so as Assassin's Creed... I can't see The Division beating them.

They don't have to actually end up shipping 10 million units to still get in the general category of Top 10 new IP launches or whatever metric they're using, hence "one of" instead of "the".

georly

I swear i've heard this PR spin a dozen times in the last couple of years. What metric defines 'largest'? Shipped? Sales? Revenue? People playing all at once? People making the game? Number of ads on TV? You can spin this a million ways.
Hope this works out for them, seems like now is a good time with destiny in a lull and people wanting that destiny faux mmo fix.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I swear i've heard this PR spin a dozen times in the last couple of years. What metric defines 'largest'? Sales? Revenue? People playing all at once? Hope this works out for them, seems like now is a good time with destiny in a lull and people wanting that destiny faux mmo fix.

Usually Ubisoft means unit sales (though I could see them arguing revenue). Ubisoft and Activision are still debating out whether Watch Dogs or Destiny managed to do more, with Assassin's Creed being the previous king, but in this case they're not aiming for "biggest" so much as being a very large number in general.

KingJ2002

Wow... well. It went from it being off my radar to day one thanks to the Beta... so maybe it will become one of the biggest launches.

if it scores in the 9's and has a aggressive marketing schedule... then yeah. I can see it selling like crazy.

Bsigg12

As long as we don't end up with a Destiny like situation where the initial content ends up being thin, I can see it being a pretty big thing. I really enjoyed my time with the beta and I'm really interested to see the rest of New York and some of the higher level stuff.

_machine

Destiny might be a bit too hard to challenge, but sure I would buy that it will probably be the biggest launch ever for Ubisoft. Destiny simply blew away most games in numbers; the metrics they have on player engagement, retention, amount of active players etc. are simply so much bigger than most games (and certainly miles ahead of any Halo) and they didn't even understand the userbase at first (and crudely underestimated the userbase, and production difficulties they would face). Division absolutely has the chance to become huge.

Shades of Destiny
Activision is dreaming big for Bungie's Destiny, dubbing it the "next billion dollar franchise." Activision CEO Bobby Kotick echoed the projection, telling investors during today's earnings call that the publisher expects "Destiny will become the best-selling new video game IP in history."

I'm sure it'll do very well for Ubi. But the beta left me with massive Destiny deja vu so I'll be renting it instead of picking up the full game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I wouldn't call it the biggest downgrade. they came pretty close imo. its still shitty of them to release these ridiculous looking vertical slices that cant be run even on the latest PCs.

Notice how they said one of the largest, not THE largest. They dont expect to break Destiny's numbers.

lol the very first shot shows how blurry and empty it looks compared to the crystal clear and super detailed initial reveal. i think it looks fine, but lets not dismiss the downgrade by posting that video.

EDIT: just rewatched the initial reveal. i must have been imagining it to be clearer than it really is. It actually looks pretty similar. I was wrong. Nothing to see here folks. move along.

Top Bottom