• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft expects The Division to be one of the largest new IP launches in history

Come on! just look all the comparison vids

giphy.gif

Chase17

I'm rather looking forward to this even though I'm not big into online games.

I've really taken a liking to Ubisoft's output lately.

Did I have fun playing the Closed Beta? Yes
Will I play the Open Beta next week? Yes
Do I plan on picking this up? Yes
Do I care if it doesn't look like the videos from 3 years ago? Not in the least

They don't have to actually end up shipping 10 million units to still get in the general category of Top 10 new IP launches or whatever metric they're using, hence "one of" instead of "the".

Oops, my bad, I read "the" and not "one of", too tired I guess! Then I agree, the game has its chances.

Ryuuga

Banned
Man, people need to fuck off with this downgrade bullshit.

I agree this is hardly the thread to discuss it, but I hope people continue to call it out as they see it.

As for expectations, I can see this breaking records especially considering the destiny fanbase coming over. Retention though? That's what I'm more intenrested in.

_woLf

I really hope the game evolves past the same kind of enemy in every mission later on.

I really got sick of "Random guy in ski mask and hoodie" rather quickly

Venom Fox

Banned
Come on! just look all the comparison vids
Can we just forget about that stuff? The only noticeable thing that was downgraded was the lighting system. It's a fucking good game that deserves to be a success based on what we've played.
That's not what he meant... But that vid proves that lots of stuff originally shown is still in.

I hope we get a The Division 2 at some point if this is as successful as they hope it will be.

Realyn

I'm still busy playing Watch Dogs, sorry.

Maybe I'll have time for another largest new IP in history in 2021.

Shredderi

Even if The Division was downgraded (and it was downgraded from that godlike first video) it really, really helps that it's still one of the best looking games I've ever seen.

I agree this is hardly the thread to discuss it, but I hope people continue to call it out as they see it.

As for expectations, I can see this breaking records especially considering the destiny fanbase coming over. Retention though? That's what I'm more intenrested in.

Exactly, it will be interesting to see how the game is a year and half from now.

_woLf

The one thing I remember about the division beta was that it's the first time i've walked through a city street and felt like people have lived there in terms of how dirty it was and how much shit was all over the place. The little details like that mean more than texture resolution or anti aliasing.

How is the division if you play with randoms? I usually cant commit to long stretches of gaming

From what I hear, pretty damn good. I've only played with friends, but the partying system is really simple and good, plus very few loading screens. It makes Destiny's look pretty shitty from what I remember.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
YOU CAN STILL CLOSE CAR DOORS!

NO DOWNGRADE CONFIRMED!

I'm joking, does it look like the reveal trailer? no. is it still one of the best looking games ever? yes.

Turkoop

Banned
Division will be a great title and I'm getting it Day one, but every Company who's doing a downgrade should be kicked right in the ass.. that's inexcusable.

Venom Fox

Banned
They're even copying Destiny's sales projections now :p
Why, What else have they copied? This game is nothing like Destiny, it's the better game judging from the Beta.

Division will be a great title and I'm getting it Day one, but every Company who's doing a downgrade should be kicked right in the ass.. that's inexcusable.
So should Rockstar be kicked in the arse as well? Your forgetting their first GTAV trailer.

Where did all those trees go?

Chambers35

Neo Member
I really hope it is successful, for me it's one of the more promising titles from Ubi's recent history. It's a shame it's online only though :/

_machine

No it's not, it's a dire necessity in the effort of actually making games. Publicizing vertical slices is definitely not, but make not mistake that the creation of vertical slices is really, really important for the production of games, but they will also never be nearly fully representative of anything in the final game.

With the success of destiny, the growing importance of connected games, and the great word of mouth this game has been getting, im expecting this to do some pretty insane numbers. Especially considerinf alot of people Im friends with on xbox and playstation just seem to move onto whatever the next big multiplayer game is.

Serick

Married Member
I'm guessing he feels the console versions look a lot worse than the debut which was presumably a PC build.

Most (obviously not all) of the footage and screenshots posted in the various threads were from the PS4/XO beta.

I can confirm the PC build is absolutely gorgeous.

Edit: Downgrade or no downgrade, who actually thought the game would look like the reveal on consoles? :\ There was no "Running in real time on a PS4" posted anywhere. If they were getting that out of a PS4/XO they would have been screaming from every mountain top they could climb.

I don't think so, Ubisoft. Destiny currently holds that crown and "multiplatform Halo" is a pretty easy selling point.

Not a reflection on the quality of The Division's gameplay, but the game looks hella generic to the untrained eye. It's a gritty shooter in a post-apocalyptic world. Nothing special there.

kpaadet

Tried the beta didnt see it as anything worthwhile. But it sure looks like a big budget AAA game so I am sure it will sell plenty.

Ridley327

With the success of destiny, the growing importance of connected games, and the great word of mouth this game has been getting, im expecting this to do some pretty insane numbers. Especially considerinf alot of people Im friends with on xbox and playstation just seem to move onto whatever the next big multiplayer game is.

It's got a strong release date, too. People had every right to worry about its sales potential back when February and March were more crowded, but as titles got delayed to weeks or even months later, the prospects vastly improved. It's the only game of its kind out in all of March now, and it will easily dominate the charts for that month.

george_us

I feel it holds up pretty well in the beta compared to the original reveal:

There are differences, but it's not an astronomical gap.
It really does which makes me question why Ubi bothered with the trailer. They had to know that it would open themselves to this kind of scrutiny.

Top Bottom