• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft expects The Division to be one of the largest new IP launches in history

Two Words

looks fucking gorgeous on PS4 and heard it looks even better on PC and it runs smooth as silk.
It's still a huge downgrade from what they showed at first. Ubisoft has been doing these bullshit reveals followed by significant visual downgrades this entire generation.

Watch Dogs
Rainbow 6: Siege
The Division

And up next is Ghost Recon: Wild Lands.

It's a great game, and I think the upcoming open beta will convince a lot of people. I certainly think that it has a lot of potential, but they have to keep up with support for the community. They've gone into some detail about their DLC and even spoke about community-wide events post-launch, which is great!

Turkoop

Banned
It's still a hug downgrade from what they showed at first. Ubisoft has been doing these bullshit reveals followed by significant visual downgrades this entire generation.

Watch Dogs
The Division

Thank You.

Lord Phol

It should attract the same people that plays Destiny so yeah it's going to do great. I just hope Massive handles it better than Bungie has Destiny. My biggest worries atm are DLCs/expansion quality and quantity, and cheating on PC.

Venom Fox

Banned
NxId98K.png

3o1BJd3.png

bSMSuBO.png

Somehow I think we'll be ok in the graphics department...

Ryuuga

Banned
It really does which makes me question why Ubi bothered with the trailer. They have to know that it would open themselves to this kind of scrutiny.

Watchdogs was under more severe scrutiny and went on to do quite well in sales. You have the vocal minority that tire of these practices, the rest are willing to sweep it under the rug or don't care.

Serick

Married Member
It's still a hug downgrade from what they showed at first. Ubisoft has been doing these bullshit reveals followed by significant visual downgrades this entire generation.

Watch Dogs
The Division

I doubt it will look as good on PC either (let alone console).
But it looks pretty close all in all.

I'm genuinely surprised at the amount of shock and outrage over reveal vs. final graphics on this forum.

Target renders/footage not being met isn't some shady marketing trick. Game development is set the bar high, and see how close you can get. Not the other way around. That goes for graphics to gameplay features. Everyone can see exactly how the game looks/runs on every platform months before having to put a dollar down.

Don't show anything about a game till release and the game is "dead" or in "development hell".

Show early concepts and targets for gameplay/graphics and it's "omg downgrade".

lilltias

You can take a screenshot from the game on a boring looking street and compare it to another screenshot on an awesome looking street and call the game downgraded. Basically what happens here.

Division will be a great title and I'm getting it Day one, but every Company who's doing a downgrade should be kicked right in the ass.. that's inexcusable.

Yeah it's inexcusable that some things need to change from the start of a project until it releases to make it function and run properly. The only person that deserves an ass kicking is you, and you're getting one in this thread. Rightfully.

Turkoop

Banned
I'm genuinely surprised at the amount of shock and outrage over reveal vs. final graphics on this forum.

Target renders/footage not being met isn't some shady marketing trick. Everyone can see exactly how the game looks/runs on every platform months before having to put a dollar down.

Don't show anything about a game till release and the game is "dead" or in "development hell".

Dude, there are so many games which looked at launch completely same as gameplay vids..
This is not the first title, which Ubisoft downgraded.

I hope it is huge. The minimal content they had in the beta had me hooked for over 24 hours and we barely even got to experience most of the systems coming in the final version. Every trailer gets me more hyped. I can't wait to fine tune my character with gear.

diamount

Banned
It's still a huge downgrade from what they showed at first. Ubisoft has been doing these bullshit reveals followed by significant visual downgrades this entire generation.

Watch Dogs
The Division

Okay, I'm going to need a citation for Siege.

Bolivar687

Banned
I'm going to try the open beta but I'm not reassured by the time-to-kill I've seen in some of the videos. I don't know if this game has the gunplay to reach an audience like a Destiny can. But I hope it does.

It also benefits from not having another big multiplayer title near it. It's true test is if it will survive the next Black Ops map pack.

Serick

Married Member
Dude, there are so many games which looked at launch completely same as gameplay vids..
This is not the first title, which Ubisoft downgraded.

And there are just as many who show their hands early, and dont quite meet their initial targets.

Did you forget The Witcher 3? This isn't exclusive to Ubisoft and both games still look incredible.

I'm going to try the open beta but I'm not reassured by the time-to-kill I've seen in some of the videos. I don't know if this game has the gunplay to reach an audience like a Destiny can. But I hope it does.

It also benefits from not having another big multilayered title near it. It's true test is if it will survive the next Black Ops map pack.

the time to kill stuff got blown way out of proportion...from playing the Closed Beta and seeing footage from recent videos it's a non-issue

Two Words

Target renders/footage not being met isn't some shady marketing trick. Game development is set the bar high, and see how close you can get. Not the other way around. That goes for graphics to gameplay features. Everyone can see exactly how the game looks/runs on every platform months before having to put a dollar down.

Plenty of game studios manage to show their game with demos that are honest representations of their games. Ubisoft has failed to do this 3 times in a row. Why shouldn't this hurt their credibility? They didn't show us concepts or target renders. They said "This is a demo of our game, The Division." In fact, they did it twice with the same visual quality for over a year.

Raven117

Man, Ubisoft did some serious damage to themselves in 2014 with Watch Dogs and Unity.

They had one bad year, but they really aren't a terrible company. R6, Syndicate, and The Division are and look to be quality games.

Whats the problem?

Serick

Married Member
Plenty of game studios manage to show their game with demos that are honest representations of their games. Ubisoft has failed to do this 3 times in a row. Why shouldn't this hurt their credibility? They didn't show us concepts or target renders. They said "This is a demo of our game, The Division." In fact, they did it twice with the same visual quality for over a year.

Temper your expectations then?

They have not done anything to manipulate or trick you.

CDProjekt did the same thing with The Witcher 3.

I think of it like this:

•You show off what you *think* you can do.

•As you develop the game you find out what can do and show off again.

Then stupid fans yell "DOWNGRADE!" at you.

Two Words

Temper your expectations then?

They have not done anything to manipulate or trick you.

CDProjekt did the same thing with The Witcher 3.
Showing your games in a way that are impossible to achieve multiple times is trying to trick the audience. And I feel the same way about the Witcher 3. Plenty of games manage to show an honest representation of their game before release. There's no reason why Ubisoft cannot do so as well.

Serick

Married Member
FPS has nothing to do with a downgrade..

Uh, yes it does..

The graphics are downgraded to maintain FPS.

Showing your games in a way that are impossible to achieve multiple times is trying to trick the audience. And I feel the same way about the Witcher 3. Plenty of games manage to show an honest representation of their game before release. There's no reason why Ubisoft cannot do so as well.

There's also no reason to think Ubisoft (or any other developer) is trying to be intentionally dishonest until they show you footage with graphics A, throw an NDA on review copies until day of or after release, and give you the game with graphics B.

They have been extremely upfront about how the game looks/plays going so far as to actually giving 2 open ("closed") betas to see how it runs for yourself.

Two Words

I think of it like this:

None of these demos are "Hey we think this is what we can pull off for this game, but we're not quite sure". These demos are always "Yup, this is the game we're making and we're gonna tell you all about the fancy tech we're pulling off. " Then the downgrades come and they are discovered as quietly as possible.

oti

Banned
I think of it like this:

It's OK to be disappointed but MY GOD WE KNOW there are more important things to complaim about than a game that looked better when it was revealed several years ago.

It's a great game, and I think the upcoming open beta will convince a lot of people. I certainly think that it has a lot of potential, but they have to keep up with support for the community. They've gone into some detail about their DLC and even spoke about community-wide events post-launch, which is great!

I agree. The key to this game being successful will be for them to make sure the content keeps coming and adding DLC that will keep it fresh.

Venom Fox

Banned
I agree. The key to this game being successful will be for them to make sure the content keeps coming and adding DLC that will keep it fresh.
Yep, I agree. I hope they keep the content coming at a steady pace that can keep us playing!

They need to tell us if there's raids and dungeons though...

Every one of their new IP is positioned this way. They pump insane insane resources and money into these things. Hopefully it doesn't end up being yearly like Assassin's Creed, but I don't think that model could even work for this type of game (unless they find a way...)

Top Bottom