• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break's live action cut scenes needs an internet connection

Quantum Break's Live-Action Episodes Are Streamed To Save Hard Drive And Disc Space
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Remedy has confirmed to us that the live-action episodes that play following each act of the game will stream to your Xbox One or Windows 10 PC remotely when the game launches in April.

they can be downloaded on Xbox One version of the game though
When asked if an option will exist for those wanting to download it, Louden says that it will only be offered on the Xbox One version, but the Windows 10 version does feature 4K resolution, making the video size all the more substantial. Quantum Break is set to launch on both Xbox One and Windows 10 April 5.

ekim

Last time they said they will be on the disc. That's a bummer for people with slow connections.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That's a terrible idea. I'm not on board for this.

How will it play on a poor connection or no connection?

Ok.... I guess? Seems like a weird way to make some portion of your customers mad when they have data caps or their internet is down and they want to play. Why not make it a choice?

shiyrley

Banned
if if REALLY doesn't fit inside the blu-ray for the physical release then just put a "Live action movies local install" DLC in the Xbox / Windows 10 store. Perfect solution.

They won't of course

Banned
Shifty for people with bad internet connections. I'm ok with this though. So much Xbox news today.

I think an option to download them will be available too.

shandy706

Surprised they don't have a 720p or less version on disk.

I suppose there must be a ton of TV episodes then.

There would have to be if the game changes the show.

Now I'm curious as to how many hours of game based show changes they shot.

"Windows 10 version does feature 4K resolution, making the video size all the more substantial"

Holy Crap

Nugg

This is terrible news for people who have a shitty connection. If that shit takes that much HDD space, there's no way I'm gonna be able to stream it in real time.

lcap

It can be downloaded on the Xbox One.

When asked if an option will exist for those wanting to download it, Louden says that it will only be offered on the Xbox One version, but the Windows 10 version does feature 4K resolution, making the video size all the more substantial. Quantum Break is set to launch on both Xbox One and Windows 10 April 5.

leeh

Can't you just have the ability to download them from the store if needed? Come on.

EDIT: Answered above. Good.

Lampa

Neo Member
Not everyone has fast internet connection. This probably means they wont be on disc as well so rip my immersion.

so it will boot Xbox Video to play the live action episodes? I'm fine with it, I mean, I can watch netflix on my X1, I doubt this to be a problem.

TimmiT

When asked if an option will exist for those wanting to download it, Louden says that it will only be offered on the Xbox One version, but the Windows 10 version does feature 4K resolution, making the video size all the more substantial.
Why not give an option to download the 1080p video in the PC version? I don't have a 4k monitor so it's not like the 4k video would be much of an improvement for me, I also don't have the best internet connection so there'd probably be problems with streaming. :|

Hanmik

That's a terrible idea. I'm not on board for this.

How will it play on a poor connection or no connection?

ehhh.,. we live in a world where people watch netflix, Hulu etc. 24/7 without problems...

but again.. strange that they did not include them on the disc, or let people download and install them.

Nugg

So if I want to play on PC, I'm supposed to have a bandwidth able to handle streaming in 4K? Is this real life?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Surprised they don't have a 720p or less version on disk.

I suppose there must be a ton of TV episodes then.

There would have to be if the game changes the show.

Now I'm curious as to how many hours of game based show changes they shot.

I think they said that they only have one or two outcomes after a game scene. And that there is 6 episodes worth about 20 minutes each. So 120 minutes of cutscenes. With likely 10 minutes of variable content depending on your choices ingame.

Lingitiz

I hope this is because there are a lot of different variants on scenes and including them all would be too large?

Shifty

Lovely, another point of failure to bugger up the game years down the line when the servers go down.

Imagine if the comic book sequences in Max Payne were like this. Not cool.

fantomena

ehhh.,. we live in a world where people watch netflix, Hulu etc. 24/7 without problems...

but again.. strange that they did not include them on the disc, or let people download and install them.

Not everyone lives in that part of the world.

madmackem

Thats the dumest thing ive ever heard. So what happens if im forced offline outage or live seeing as its been iffy for weeks? i cant play past a point?. Dumb as fuck. Youve got blurays use two if you have to and make us install the second disc, or digital users should be allowed to download if they want im sitting on 2 tb free hdd space on my one.

madmackem

Have you missed the whole live being fucked for thousands of people? not everyone has the connection or bandwith free.

You can download the episodes on the Xbox One and install them, so you dont have to stream. No problem.

How does the show stream with slower internet connections ? Just like Netflix etc do.

For the people saying "dumb", there is a lot of reasons why the live action has to stream. One reason is that there is over 40 variations of the four episodes (the changes are often subtle, one or two scenes depending on what you unlock in the game via Quantum Ripples) so the total file size is far too great to fit on a disc.

Yes, we realize streaming is not ideal for certain countries, but there's a myriad of technical reasons, that I cannot go into, which necessitated this choice.

Nugg

Any PC gamer would know that means "up to 4k". They're not going to force 4k video to you.

Well, I hope not, but they're already forcing streaming on me because of a video resolution my monitor can't even handle, I don't know what else they might pull off.

Top Bottom