• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break's live action cut scenes needs an internet connection

Gbraga

I don't mind it too much, but I assume that means people who care about the TV Show probably shouldn't be playing day one. Nothing that depends on servers holding up ever works on release date.

Thankfully Microsoft has a product those people and it's called Alan Wake.

lol

Rob pls

Ricky_R

Oh, I hadn't realized this.

How big a deal would missing them be?

They contain key story elements (according to Remedy), so missing them will result in an incomplete main story.

Edit: This is a quote from a VG247 article about the game... Quote is from the writter, not Remedy, but still:

"These live-action bits will be skippable, but doing so means players run the risk of missing important clues about how to proceed when they regain full control."

Nugg

Oh, I hadn't realized this.

How big a deal would missing them be?

They're a big deal and it would definitely sucks to miss them. They reflect your actions in the game and contain key elements of the story. I'm just saying "unplayable" is not the right word. It's still fucked up.

ViciousDS

Banned
if if REALLY doesn't fit inside the blu-ray for the physical release then just put a "Live action movies local install" DLC in the Xbox / Windows 10 store. Perfect solution.

They won't of course

this honestly

give us a damn option to install them if we wish for them to take up space.....so fricken stupid. I feel sorry for those with mediocre connections.

got damn!

Dr Dogg

How is the whole generation going for you, so far?

Fine because no game has arbitrarily decided to stream/download more of its content after I've already downloaded it from whatever client I use whilst I'm in the middle of said game.

Hektor

You know, that would be a cool feature if it were optional. But that way it just makes me even less likely to buy this again, as if the Win10store wouldn't be enough already.

so like netflix streaming the video? That sounds like a better way than having it clog up my download. I have bought it digitally id like the one without the video and just stream it. sounds much better thanks.

c0de

Fine because no game has arbitrarily decided to stream/download more of its content after I've already downloaded it from whatever client I use whilst I'm in the middle of said game.

Well, given how many games “feature“ day one patches and several after that, one might wonder what the content you initially bought is worth.

scitek

so like netflix streaming the video? That sounds like a better way than having it clog up my download. I have bought it digitally id like the one without the video and just stream it. sounds much better thanks.

But if you have a data cap, every time you play the game, it's going to hit that cap. It's really not an ideal solution at all.

Dr Dogg

Well, given how many games “feature“ day one patches and several after that, one might wonder what the content you initially bought is worth.

Patience waiting for something to finish downloading before I play it isn't an issue. Downloading something expecting to play it uninterrupted but then have to download more of it when I would be happy to wait is an issue. Does that make sense? I'm not hurting for hard drive space in the slightest so something like this, for essentially what is a download only title on PC, is either short sighted or crazy.

jett

D-Member
but the Windows 10 version does feature 4K resolution, making the video size all the more substantial. Quantum Break is set to launch on both Xbox One and Windows 10 April 5.

Wut, what if your internet connection isn't fast enough for 4K? I imagine there will be multiple-resolution streams anyway. What a weird excuse.

I don't understand how anything thought this would be a good decision to make.

Do you guys think this will be the case for the rest of this gen? Publishers not willing to put out games on more than one blu-ray. I hope this will not be the case. I don't want to be dependent on downloading all the stuff that couldn't fit on one disc.

ElRenoRaven

Well that just took it off my interested list to my not buying list. I'm not wasting my fucking bandwidth to watch cutscenes.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
ehhh.,. we live in a world where people watch netflix, Hulu etc. 24/7 without problems...

but again.. strange that they did not include them on the disc, or let people download and install them.
Yet fast internet is not as easy to get as you suggest. There are plenty of areas where people are still limited to very slow sub-10mbps connections. It's not just out in the countryside either.

Still, if you can download them, it helps in the sense that you can wait but it's still a pain for those stuck with slow internet. It's bound to be larger than any patch.

c0de

Patience waiting for something to finish downloading before I play it isn't an issue. Downloading something expecting to play it uninterrupted but then have to download more of it when I would be happy to wait is an issue. Does that make sense? I'm not hurting for hard drive space in the slightest so something like this, for essentially what is a download only title on PC, is either short sighted or crazy.

But you can download the videos... Did they say you can only download them when you hit the certain parts of the game?

Hektor

you don't need the real life cut scenes to play the game

Sure, you theoritically can do so, but why would you when the entire game is built around those 80 minutes of video, making it pretty much mandatory in order to get the proper experience?

But you can download the videos... Did they say you can only download them when you hit the certain parts of the game?

Xbox One gamers can download the cut scenes so they don't have to be online.

Someone didn't read the thread. Bad monkey.

"When asked if an option will exist for those wanting to download it, Louden says that it will only be offered on the Xbox One version"

jackdoe

Did no one learn from the botch up halo 4 and halo 2 anniversary video methods?
At least this doesn't launch an entirely separate app to watch a terminal video (which thanks to the MCC's botched up programming results in a sound bug in Halo 4 which requires you to quit and re-enter the campaign to fix). However, if the streaming quality is as buggy as Halo Waypoint, I'll be very, very disappointed.

Leb

You can download the episodes on the Xbox One and install them, so you dont have to stream. No problem.

How does the show stream with slower internet connections ? Just like Netflix etc do.

For the people saying "dumb", there is a lot of reasons why the live action has to stream. One reason is that there is over 40 variations of the four episodes (the changes are often subtle, one or two scenes depending on what you unlock in the game via Quantum Ripples) so the total file size is far too great to fit on a disc.

Yes, we realize streaming is not ideal for certain countries, but there's a myriad of technical reasons, that I cannot go into, which necessitated this choice.

Uh, no disrespect, but how does this make any sense? You acknowledge that streaming is not ideal for a nontrivial subset of your userbase but cite myriad technical reasons (that cannot be discussed) as to why this choice was necessary.

But then, you causally mention that on the XB1, you can just download the episodes, no streaming required, no problem.

I mean, what?

Dr Dogg

Unless I'm having a funny 5 minutes the article mentions you can download them only on Xbox One.
When asked if an option will exist for those wanting to download it, Louden says that it will only be offered on the Xbox One version, but the Windows 10 version does feature 4K resolution, making the video size all the more substantial.

Which isn't a great deal of help on Windows. And then by saying the video size is more substantial makes it even more bizarre than you can't download them, only stream them.

cLOUDo

if the cutscenes are streamed
that means you could watch videos in 240p/360p/480p ?
or the video stops to load the rest?
holy crack

Nokterian

8FxEa.gif

Unbelievable this is just not smart..

giphy.gif

Should have been first post goddamn.

Top Bottom