• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break's live action cut scenes needs an internet connection

Timeaisis

So this is one of those games you'll pay $60 for but only be able to get the full experience during the first year while the servers are still running.

EDIT: ^ Wait, what?

jackdoe

I also don't understand why the 4K resolution automatically makes a download on PC unfeasible. You're essentially "downloading" the video every time you stream it.

Jesus, last gen Microsoft got away with using DVD and almost no cross-platform releases suffered for it. This gen Blu-Ray isn't enough.

Oh well, I'll d/l the X1 vids.

But if you have a data cap, every time you play the game, it's going to hit that cap. It's really not an ideal solution at all.

Cant you skip the video? like if you have seen it once? wht happens if you re watch movies on netflix? isn't it the same thing?

If my download is going to be like 30 gig compared to 50 with Hi def video Id take the 30 gig one personally less data to download straight away and I will only watch the video's once or twice, so if i can skip them it is ideal

LUXURY

That's fucking stupid. This gen is really disappointing overall so far. Think I'd rather go back to the 90's.

post-57174-the-wire-this-is-bullshit-gif-ij4x.gif

I mean, is really that expensive to press another BD with the cutscenes?

Occam

Terrible. Just sell the game on multiple discs. There is no excuse.
Same nonsense they did with the Master Chief Collection.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
When this is the result I can't for the life of me figure out why they decided to do live-action. Do it in-engine. It would have been so much better.

EvB

Terrible. Just sell the game on multiple discs. There is no excuse.
Same nonsense they did with the Master Chief Collection.

Apart from the MCC wasn't actually finished when the games were pressed.

It's possibly a similar thing here, the game itself may have gone gold, but they may be working much closer to the wire on the Episodes.
This is likely a throwback to the TV TV TV days, but even though that was scaled back, certain logistical and production issues will have remained as a result

EvB

Jesus, last gen Microsoft got away with using DVD and almost no cross-platform releases suffered for it. This gen Blu-Ray isn't enough.

Oh well, I'll d/l the X1 vids.

They did exactly the same thing with Halo 4, the Spartan Ops cutscenes were streamed because they were released over a long period of time

Weird they let you download them to X1 but not PC. Usually PC is the one with more options. Why not let people decide how to utilize their hard drive space?

Do you have any proof to back up this claim?

I'm assuming he means that in the year 20XX if you try to do a fresh install of the disk and the servers aren't up you are SOL.

I'll make that same argument for Mass Effect 3. Once the EA servers are down, you won't be able to do a fresh install of the game and still get the best endings or experience the extended cut of the game.

So if I want to play on PC, I'm supposed to have a bandwidth able to handle streaming in 4K? Is this real life?

No, you're not. The streaming automatically throttles to your bandwidth, you know... like every other streaming service on the planet!

Leb

I genuinely confused why we can download the cutscenes on the Xbox One, but not the PC.

They've been enormously clear on this point. There exist myriad technical reasons as to why streaming is absolutely the only possible solution and that's why streaming isn't required on the Xbox One.

Food for thought: imagine the reaction on here if they announced the install size was over 100 GB? People would be begging for the option to stream the videos instead, there would be a fucking outcry!

WTF. So dumb. My internet can't handle streaming at all. Downloading some likely gigantic video files would take forever as well. Put it on a bloody disk.

Food for thought: imagine the reaction on here if they announced the install size was over 100 GB? People would be begging for the option to stream the videos instead, there would be a fucking outcry!

Really the only issue i see is that there isn't an option to download them on PC like you can on X1. Streaming is a nice option for those with great internet speeds and they can save space, but downloading has its benefits as well.

Although I suppose there are those that want it on a disc. Would be nice for those people to have optional install disc as well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

We have a precedent for how publishers should deal with this problem; ship the initial thing with lower resolution cutscenes to get the install size down to a manageable level. Put in a UI prompt to notify players that if they have additional space, they can download highly quality cutscenes. Make the download free (which costs you nothing because Steam doesn't charge for bandwidth costs). See: Sleeping Dogs and Skyrim.

Edit: Someone told me that the game isn't on Steam so I guess they can't do this logical and free solution to the problem.

But it's true, Streaming is no real risk. Remember when Microsoft shipped Galactic Reign? It was a really cool mobile and Windows Store exclusive game. Basically the game was a strategy combat game, kinda like Risk. But the cutscenes for the combat mechanics were rendered on the cloud and then streamed to you, so you could have awesome visual detail without a huge download size or needing a beefy phone/computer. Awesome idea, and more than a few parallels to what happened here.

Edit: Wait, they shut down the servers and pulled the plug on the game, including the Windows Store exclusive version, just over 4 months after it released? Woah. Who'd have expected that? Weird. Well I'm sure it would never happen here.

jackdoe

They've been enormously clear on this point. There exist myriad technical reasons as to why streaming is absolutely the only possible solution and that's why streaming isn't required on the Xbox One.
Such as? The only real reason they've given in the Game Informer article is HDD space, and that is something that PC users can very easily control.

ShowDog

They should include DVD quality on the install and stream HD if a good connection is available. It doesn't make any sense to do otherwise.

stuminus3

I've found this is super common in the mobile market, especially in kids games that feature a lot of video.

So long as there's still the option to download the full thing this is actually nice to see. I'd be quite happy to stream FMV in every game Netflix style if it saved on download size and disk space (especially on consoles where storage is more limited).

Sojgat

Yeah, put them on another disc.

Microsoft keeps doing this shit. Is it going to have a 20GB day one patch as well?

Faenix1

So those with shitty internet that randomly drop to <1Mbps are shit out of luck. Nice.

Crap like this and retailers not stocking physical versions long make this gen seriously lame.

Hektor

Food for thought: Imagine the reaction when the servers are permanently shutdown making the full game literally unplayable, there would be a fucking outcry!

Food for thought: Imagine the reaction when someone wants to see the cutscenes in 1080p but can't because his internet isn't fast enough to stream that resolution while playing, there would be a fucking outcry!

Food for thought: Imagine the reaction when the servers are getting slammed at release, rendering the full game completely unplayable even though it's a single player game, there would be a fucking outcry!

Apart from the MCC wasn't actually finished when the games were pressed.

It's possibly a similar thing here, the game itself may have gone gold, but they may be working much closer to the wire on the Episodes.
This is likely a throwback to the TV TV TV days, but even though that was scaled back, certain logistical and production issues will have remained as a result
The single player was all on the disk though so not quite the same? Unless I'm misremembering?

joms5

F**k this game.

Is it that hard to put them on a damn disc?!?! I can't even comprehend why they are doing this.

I'll be sure and download the set of them when people simply capture the footage and reintegrate it into the game.

What a moronic idea.

Top Bottom