• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break's live action cut scenes needs an internet connection

Thankfully Microsoft has a product those people and it's called Alan Wake.
9ZiEn9w.jpg

As someone who's consoles are always online, I don't really care about this.

It's still an issue.

If you uninstall the game from your Xbone in the future and they ever take down the video portion of the game from their servers (for streaming) and Live store (to download), how will you re-download them despite it being a single-player game?

Even if they are optional, they kind of should be on the disc, atleast in some quality, if they are valuable to the story.

shoreu

WHAT?
What the fuck, how stupid are they. This can't be real

First of all I don't think that's true at all the use of blue ray have negated the need for multi disc. Second that doesn't even make sense for it not to work I mean really.

This guy is talking about Bc games and passing it on as if it's the norm.

EvB

The single player was all on the disk though so not quite the same? Unless I'm misremembering?

These were never intended to be part of the game, these are a Live action TV show that was originally going to be broadcast.

I'm glad they are streaming, I don't want to have to sit on hours and hours of 4k Videos taking up HDD space, especially given that there are a bunch of optional alternate scenes that I may not even see

singhr1

If you uninstall the game from your Xbone in the future

Then you won't be playing the game..?

So you're asking what happens when I buy Quantum Break in 15 years for my Xbox One and they took the video streams down from the servers, how will I watch the videos for the cutscenes? Watch them on YouTube I guess. I agree some semblance of the cut scene should be on disc, though (but fuck having 4K cutscenes wasting disc space.. it's already going to be a huge download).

Can someone give me a case scenario in which this is actually a problem? I'm trying to think of a case in which a PC gamer is able to download a 50+ GB game on W10, be able to run it in a reasonable way, but not have internet access to stream video while playing.

These were never intended to be part of the game, these are a Live action TV show that was originally going to be broadcast.

I'm glad they are streaming, I don't want to have to sit on hours and hours of 4k Videos taking up HDD space, especially given that there are a bunch of optional alternate scenes that I may not even see
It is still a problem considering how the choices impact it.. Otherwise the show done normally would be fine. Depending on how big the file is I might be able to make it work.. I'll probably wait until I'm home over the summer otherwise

Hektor

Then you won't be playing the game..?

So you're asking what happens when I buy Quantum Break in 15 years for my Xbox One and they took the video streams down from the servers, how will I watch the videos for the cutscenes? Watch them on YouTube I guess.

You realize those scenes change depending on the actions you did in the game?

Can someone give me a case scenario in which this is actually a problem? I'm trying to think of a case in which a PC gamer is able to download a 50+ GB game on W10, be able to run it in a reasonable way, but not have internet access to stream video while playing.

Literally everyone with slow internet?

EvB

It is still a problem considering how the choices impact it.. Otherwise the show done normally would be fine. Depending on how big the file is I might be able to make it work.. I'll probably wait until I'm home over the summer otherwise

The OP clearly chose certain information to evoke a certain reaction from GAF, but this is what Remedy has said

We have 40 different variations of the show in total where basically your choices get to make it evolve and change whether it’s from a junction choice or we have these things called 'Quantum Ripples' which essentially unlocked sort of deleted scenes from the show," narrative designer Greg Louden says. "Then combined with that, the show length can change based on your decisions because some episodes are longer as a result and some episodes are shorter. It basically evolves and that’s why we needed to stream it."

Our Take
While the idea of having to be connected to the Internet to avoid filling up your hard drive is less than ideal, Remedy's decision here makes sense. With 40 different variations on the show (all in 1080p on Xbox One or 4K on PC), the file size has to be substantial. Thankfully, the option to download them to your Xbox One is there if you are lucky enough to have however much space they require on your console.

kadotsu

Banned

Any PC gamer with a tech savvy/cablecutter family. It would be possible to schedule downloads during the night but impossible to watch the cutscenes in high quality because the network is being used at peak hours.

The OP clearly chose certain information to evoke a certain reaction from GAF, but this is what Remedy has said
Yeah, I get why they've done it, and I don't blame them for it, but for me it doesn't work very well due to the XO being incompatible with uni Internet.

Like I said, I'll find a way around it, and I'll buy it day one regardless but may wait until the summer to actually play.

Not letting you download to PC seems like an odd choice. Especially considering most PC gamers will probably have more storage space than the average console owner.

HGH

Banned
Oh yeah really awesome with my sweet 512 kbps speed aw yeah

What the fuck is wrong with these people?

MayMay

Banned
People are really scared of Microsoft going bankrupt and not keeping the servers for their Xbox products up anymore eh? lmao As if that's gonna happen.

Anyways, good news. Love that the PC gets 4K cutscenes.

Dinjoralo

I'm guessing the reason they won't be available to download on PC is because Microsoft decided the only option for that version is to use 4K video, because catering to people gaming on 4K monitors is an easy way to act like they care. Even though people gaming at 4K are a minority, and that leads to the majority of people have to deal with bloated file sizes due to ludicrously big textures they can't opt out of downloading (a la Gears of War), or bullshit like this.

Microsoft, stop trying. Just stop.

Hektor

People are really scared of Microsoft going bankrupt and not keeping the servers for their Xbox products up anymore eh? lmao As if that's gonna happen.

Anyways, good news. Love that the PC gets 4K cutscenes.

Because microsoft got no history of doing exactly that. LMAO

EvB

I'm guessing the reason they won't be available to download on PC is because Microsoft decided the only option for that version is to use 4K video, because catering to people gaming on 4K monitors is an easy way to act like they care. Even though people gaming at 4K are a minority, and that leads to the majority of people have to deal with bloated file sizes due to ludicrously big textures they can't opt out of downloading (a la Gears of War), or bullshit like this.

Microsoft, stop trying. Just stop.

So you are saying that they shouldn't cater to top end PC gamers and stop forcing people with normal PCs to have to have bloated file sizes....

So they've done this but you are still annoyed?

Valonquar

and just like that I went from thinking about purchasing this game to probably just watching a playthrough on Youtube.

EvB

That must be a hell of an insane bitrate for them not to be able to offer it as a download on PC. I'll be disappointed if there's macroblocking.

The XBOX version is 45Gb without PC res textures, I don't know how far that would go. But you'd be looking at a minimum of 80GB as an install/download with the TV series included

jackdoe

The XBOX version is 45Gb without PC res textures, I don't know how far that would go. But you'd be looking at a minimum of 80GB as an install/download with the TV series included
Batman Arkham Knight on the PS4 with all the DLC thus far sits at 72GB total, so it's not completely ludicrous.

Uraizen

Banned
You can download the episodes on the Xbox One and install them, so you dont have to stream. No problem.

How does the show stream with slower internet connections ? Just like Netflix etc do.

For the people saying "dumb", there is a lot of reasons why the live action has to stream. One reason is that there is over 40 variations of the four episodes (the changes are often subtle, one or two scenes depending on what you unlock in the game via Quantum Ripples) so the total file size is far too great to fit on a disc.

Yes, we realize streaming is not ideal for certain countries, but there's a myriad of technical reasons, that I cannot go into, which necessitated this choice.

So... can I play the PC version offline and just not watch the cutscenes? I know I'll be missing the story, but is the game playable offline at least?

AHindD

We live in a world where 2-3 gig hard drives are the norm.

Give pc players the option to install cutscenes to the hard drive (I can't believe I had to type this). If people are saying it goes "up to 4k", well let us install the 1080p versions. What a mess.

Wereroku

Why not have them on the disc as an option to download? If the game is only 45gb don't the still have close to 55 gb to work with on a 100gb disc?

sueil

I have a 150 mbit connection and could stream 4k bluray quality video probably (these will have much much much lower bitrate anyway) but holy shit this is undefendable. What possible reason could you justify letting xbox 1 install them but not pc.

shandy706

I have a 150 mbit connection and could stream 4k bluray quality video probably (these will have much much much lower bitrate anyway) but holy shit this is undefendable. What possible reason could you justify letting xbox 1 install them but not pc.

...but they said they have 4k video...

Vamphuntr

They are working really hard to make the PC version unappealing unless they change their stance. Knowing MS once they switch to their next try at winning the PC gaming crowd they will ditch the Win10 store and you won't be able to get the cutscenes anymore.

kinggroin

Banned

"I'm glad I get what I want and no one else"

Gamezone

Gold Member
What are these episodes anyway? What connection do they have to the game itself, because they aren't cutscenes, right?

A 2nd disc would have been a much better choice, if they couldn't fit it on 1 blu-ray.

It's not like it's just a small extra, it's a big part of QB's story and when I buy a game (which they said the show is part of the package) I expect to own it, not rely on the internet to stream it to me.

Also it sucks for people with a crappy internet connection and if people pick this up when it's old and the server has been turned off, they can't access the story.

Gamezone

Gold Member
As someone who's consoles are always online, I don't really care about this.

That`s not the problem. When I pay for a physical product, I want the game, not a service. Quantum Break is single player only, so that makes it even worse. Once the servers are shut down, the cutscenes will be gone forever as well.

That`s not the problem. When I pay for a physical product, I want the game, not a service. Quantum Break is single player only, so that makes it even worse. Once the servers are shut down, the cutscenes will be gone forever as well.

You can download them on X1 and I have no doubts they'll eventually make the PC downloads available too.

Top Bottom