• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break's live action cut scenes needs an internet connection

eso76

Let me ask you this question. How do you think footage of console-only games gets onto Youtube?

Tut tut.
I knew someone would come up with this, even though I did include the MGSV example.
The answer is "not by data mining".

It's not as much as uploading the video on YT, which anyone can do once they have unlocked said video. It's revealing the existence of certain videos itself, and therefore possibilities within the game, too early. Stuff people arent supposed to find out before a few months from launch, maybe.

As for being forced to watch them, again MGSV example. The news spread quickly that something would happen if you took the last nuclear weapon on earth. Everyone knew, whether they had been on YouTube or not.

Maybe they have one or more "secret" cutscenes they don't want to reveal are in the game.

Tut tut.
I knew someone would come up with this, even though I did include the MGSV example.
The answer is "not by data mining".

It's not as much as uploading the video on YT, which anyone can do once they have unlocked said video. It's revealing the existence of certain videos itself, and therefore possibilities within the game, too early. Stuff people arent supposed to find out before a few months from launch, maybe.

As for being forced to watch them, again MGSV example. The news spread quickly that something would happen if you took the last nuclear weapon on earth. Everyone knew, whether they had been on YouTube or not.

Maybe they have one or more "secret" cutscenes they don't want to reveal are in the game.

What stops you from "data mining" the link/trigger to these hidden videos?

You can easily data mine anything, regardless of platform and format, unless it's encrypted.

Gamezone

Gold Member
MW2 No dedicated servers!
Fuck you Infinity Ward!

Diablo III is always online!
I want a refund Blizzard!

Destiny is always online!
Activision corrupted Bungie!

Quantum Break streams cut scenes!
RAGE!!

This too shall pass.

Some of these are legit. Try EA Need for Speed and Sim City.

eso76

What stops you from "data mining" the link/trigger to these hidden videos?

You can easily data mine anything, regardless of platform and format, unless it's encrypted.

I doubt you can data mine XBO files as easily as you would PC data, and if these videos only play when launched from inside the game under certain conditions...
Look, I don't know, but I think the decision might be related to this, because saving HDD space on PC certainly doesn't make sense.

Well, most games nowadays are incomplete without DLCs and patches anyway...

Being buggy or glitchy is not the same as missing frigging cutscenes INTENTIONALLY.

I guess if it was up to MS you would stream the entire game, gotta save all that space (and keep everyone connected to your service).

Gamezone

Gold Member
The game looks like a fun time, but classic? Really?

My point is:

I don`t want today`s generation to be the end of future retro gaming. Stuff like this makes sure it happens.

The game doesn`t have to be good. I still play and laugh at bad games that was made in the 90`s.

J_Viper

How is that even remotely relevant?
How is it not?
People here keep worrying about the cutscenes being pulled decades down the line, as if QB will turn out to be a masterpiece that must be preserved in the National Archive. It's a bit silly.
My point is:

I don`t want today`s generation to be the end of future retro gaming. Stuff like this makes sure it happens.

The game doesn`t have to be good. I still play and laugh at bad games that was made in the 90`s.
That's totally understandable. I just think many here are overreacting.

What happens in 10, 15 years when the streaming service no longer works? Are you left with an incomplete game?
The cut scenes are extras. It shows a different perspective of the story. If you have no internet or cant stream you will play the game with no problems, it will be as if they didnt exist anyway. It will transition smoothly and cohesively without the live action tv episodes.

Ricky_R

The cut scenes are extras. It shows a different perspective of the story. If you have no internet or cant stream you will play the game with no problems, it will be as if they didnt exist anyway. It will transition smoothly and cohesively without the live action tv episodes.

They aren't extras as in they hold no importance. The live action cut-scenes contain key story elements that have an impact on the outcome.

You can skip them, but by doing so you will get an incomplete narrative.

Edit: Although, in the way you meant, you will be able to play the game without them, indeed.

What happens in 10, 15 years when the streaming service no longer works? Are you left with an incomplete game?

I guarantee there will be an GARGANTUAN ULTRA HD SUPER MEGA EDITION released by then

My point is:

Honestly Deal with it. 90 percent of games will require authorisation from a server to even load soon. We see it a lot already. There's no way you will be able to play all games on their original hardware with original disks with this gen and after.

Also people will have ripped the video files and found ways around some video files. I bet you will be able to download them within 2 weeks from some dodgy corner of the internet

I feel a lot of people on the internet are straight up no country for old men, scared of change. it is inevitable and it is upto you to decide if you want to carry on or purchase something. I couldn't care, as long as I get great gaming experiences. I am not gonna go through my short time on this rock pissed off at every change in the world.

GnawtyDog

Banned
If it weren't for this bump..... What in the name of Jebus? So they can't shrink this in the disk?

I guess that's not the biggie here. The biggie being internet lag and messing up pacing with completely different forms of content delivery (live action vs. in-game graphics). In-game cutscenes are a thing these days. I guess we'll see how it plays out ....

I don't see any good reason to deny PC players the option to download the cut-scenes. It will just piss off anyone with a low-speed connection.

Apathy

Wouldn't it be easier to put the 1080p version of the live action stuff on the disc/initial install and if people want to see it in 4k and have the connection for it to do so? Like why not ask people what that want on the install? It feels like Microsoft and remedy have forgotten what game installs on PC's were like. Hey give us options, not that hard.

ElNino

If it weren't for this bump..... What in the name of Jebus? So they can't shrink this in the disk?

I guess that's not the biggie here. The biggie being internet lag and messing up pacing with completely different forms of content delivery (live action vs. in-game graphics). In-game cutscenes are a thing these days. I guess we'll see how it plays out ....
These aren't really cut scenes in the more traditional sense though. These are full episodes to (presumably) help advance the story in between chapters of the game. They also will be different depending on things that happen in your play through.

gabbo

These aren't really cut scenes in the more traditional sense though. These are full episodes to (presumably) help advance the story in between chapters of the game. They also will be different depending on things that happen in your play through.

That doesn't make them not cutscenes, regardless of length and scope

ElNino

That doesn't make them not cutscenes, regardless of length and scope
I said they are not cut scenes in the traditional sense., which I believe to be the case.

These are to TV length episodes that you can watch in between chapters of the game. If you want to call them cut scenes, that's fine but it doesn't change anything. The aren't in-engine, and they will take a large amount of space and thus are being streamed (assuming what we've been told is true).

Look, I don't know, but I think the decision might be related to this, because saving HDD space on PC certainly doesn't make sense.

I really doubt it. It's too much work (and bad PR) for little to no gain.

People here keep worrying about the cutscenes being pulled decades down the line, as if QB will turn out to be a masterpiece that must be preserved in the National Archive. It's a bit silly.

It's even more silly to use it as an argument as to why it should be designed this way.

This has nothing to do with quality; and even less so your personal opinion. And the game isn't even out yet -- why are you assuming it won't be special for people? If people want to play it in 10 years they should be.

Also people will have ripped the video files and found ways around some video files. I bet you will be able to download them within 2 weeks from some dodgy corner of the internet

Good point -- we can hopefully download the videos illegally. Remedy redeemed.

I feel a lot of people on the internet are straight up no country for old men, scared of change. it is inevitable and it is upto you to decide if you want to carry on or purchase something. I couldn't care, as long as I get great gaming experiences. I am not gonna go through my short time on this rock pissed off at every change in the world.

Oh please, this has nothing to do with fear of change. If a change results in an objectively worse experience for some people it's a completely reasonable assertion to call it a bad change.

Especially when it provides no real benefit for the end-user. Options are good.

as long as I get great gaming experiences.

Indeed, buffering compressed cut-scenes sure sounds like a great experience.

Freeman

Banned
The Cloud strikes again but odds of this TV series being terrible are high, so as long as you can skip it I guess it makes no difference.

Krakn3Dfx

What about people with really slow internet?

They have a solution for you.
Alan_Wake_Game_Cover.jpg

This doesn't really bother me, but yeah, I can see it being a deal breaker for people with data caps or low end bandwidth.

Edit: Also, I haven't found the TV shows in previous Remedy games to be as endearing as others. Max Payne 1/2 are some of my all time favorite games, and while I thought the randomly placed TVs with shows playing was a cool little addition, I would have enjoyed both games equally without them.

Top Bottom