• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break's live action cut scenes needs an internet connection

Ricky_R

I find it weird that the scenes won't be able to be downloaded on PC, regardless of size. I mean, one would think that the Xbone version would be the stream only one.

Considering the nature of PCs and its gamers, as well as the overall larger HDDs, I find it puzzling that it's not an option for them.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I honestly believe every bit of news ever is quickly seen to be negative. This is the way of the world I guess. 90 minutes of video footage would be a large file no matter what.

Physical first party games published by Microsoft have been especially anti consumer. They released Forza 5 incomplete, and players had to download a huge portion of the game. It wasn`t possible to finnish the career mode without it. Then we had the 20 GB day one patch for Halo MCC, and now this.

Gamezone

Gold Member
They can't just flip the switch, of course. That's not how operating systems work.

They remade their entire OS by releasing Windows 10 on Xbox One, and still didn`t fix the ability to install games using several discs.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They remade their entire OS by releasing Windows 10 on Xbox One, and still didn`t fix the ability to install games using several discs.

99174-what-YEAH-is-it-gif-Robin-Will-KMhD.gif

Maybe it's some sort of fruity, convoluted anti-PC software piracy thing, where unless you have a legit copy of the game that's connected to their serves you miss half the content in the game.

hlhbk

Man between the complete mess that was the Gears release yesterday and this Microsoft has shown their true colors towards PC gaming.

prudislav

i fear they are testing us ... First it's live action skippable cutscenes, then it's in-game cutscenes, then it's whole parts of the game and in the end it will be with overlayed server based advertisement crawling in.(Don't like it? Get a subscription! Become a real gamer!)

but maybe i am just too paranoid and sick of where the gaming is going in recent years in some ways

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
i fear they are testing us ... First it's live action skippable cutscenes, then it's in-game cutscenes, then it's whole parts of the game and in the endit will be with overlayed server based advertisement crawling in.(Don't like it? Get a subscription! Become a real gamer!)

;)

Not allowing them to be downloaded on PC is ridiculous.

If it's because they're worried someone will upload them somewhere:

1. The episodes with out the context on the rest of the story in the game aren't exactly appealing anyway

and

2. Someone will capture them and upload them anyway within 24 hours

Gamezone

Gold Member
Did they say that you won`t be able to download the episodes on PC? Because they tell people to stay tuned for more information on Twitter.

Leb

All I know is that when a company presents consumers with an unpopular and seemingly nonsensical proposition, all that consumers need to hear is, "The rationale for this bizarre, nonsensical and unpopular decision is entirely sound and under no circumstances will it be discussed with anyone. Enjoy!"

So, are we thinking maybe it's a question of content control and licensing or something? Which comes with its own set of fictions, of course, but...

jackdoe

Did they say that you won`t be able to download the episodes on PC? Because they tell people to stay tuned for more information on Twitter.
It's quoted in the OP and it's in the article linked in the OP. To repeat:

When asked if an option will exist for those wanting to download it, Louden says that it will only be offered on the Xbox One version, but the Windows 10 version does feature 4K resolution, making the video size all the more substantial. Quantum Break is set to launch on both Xbox One and Windows 10 April 5.

If they changed their message to stay tuned, it gives me hope that this backlash against PC owners inexplicably being unable to download the video files convinced them to offer a download option for the PC version.

Physical first party games published by Microsoft have been especially anti consumer. They released Forza 5 incomplete, and players had to download a huge portion of the game. It wasn`t possible to finnish the career mode without it. Then we had the 20 GB day one patch for Halo MCC, and now this.

Yup those two things do suck. I wasn't there for day one luckily on forza. Mcc was a trainwreck tho.

2 terrible situations. but then halo 5 has been great. Forza horizon 2 was great. Forza 6 was great. Sunset overdrive was great plus more.

I'm just not that negative tho. QB looks great

Gamezone

Gold Member
Yup those two things do suck. I wasn't there for day one luckily on forza. Mcc was a trainwreck tho.

2 terrible situations. but then halo 5 has been great. Forza horizon 2 was great. Forza 6 was great. Sunset overdrive was great plus more.

I'm just not that negative tho. QB looks great

It seems like only games published by Microsoft so far have these problems. It`s worrying.

Bluenoser

So of course they will have in bold bright letters front and center on the game case "REQUIRES INTERNET CONNECTION TO PLAY". Otherwise, major lack of communication to the customers that don't read Kotaku or GAF, etc.

Stanng243

All I know is that when a company presents consumers with an unpopular and seemingly nonsensical proposition, all that consumers need to hear is, "The rationale for this bizarre, nonsensical and unpopular decision is entirely sound and under no circumstances will it be discussed with anyone. Enjoy!"

So, are we thinking maybe it's a question of content control and licensing or something? Which comes with its own set of fictions, of course, but...

They seem to think they have a "Good Reason" for it.
So we must have a good reason for it right?

Wereroku

Wait, so the reason is ... a secret?

Can't be bothered to elaborate on the snarky comment apparently. I still want to know what happens if you don't have an internet connection when you start playing the game and don't have the movies downloaded.

eso76

You know what, I wholeheartedly agree with this.
I think the reason is, they can't seem to be able to prevent data mining on PC.
The cutscenes would end up on YouTube in a matter of hours, potentially spoiling the story for everyone else.
I wish Konami did the same for MGSV PC. The secret cutscene you get when the last nuclear weapon in the world is disarmed wouldn't have leaked that way.
I'm mad enough at the website that spoiled the trailer for
Alan Wake return
being in the game.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
My only explanation is this.

All PCs are connected to the Internet. They just are. Hell, pretty much the only way to GET this game on PC is via the Internet. So Microsoft knows anyone buying this game will effectively have a connection.

That's not the case on the Xbox. Not every box will have a net connection.

I dunno, that's all I got.

Hektor

The cutscenes would end up on YouTube in a matter of hours, potentially spoiling the story for everyone else.
I wish Konami did the same for MGSV PC. The secret cutscene you get when the last nuclear weapon in the world is disarmed wouldn't have leaked that way.
Alan Wake return
being in the game.

Because it's impossible to catch the stream and upload that to YT. Or to upload videos of the console version like millions of let's players will be doing.

Gamezone

Gold Member

All PCs are connected to the Internet. They just are. Hell, pretty much the only way to GET this game on PC is via the Internet. So Microsoft knows anyone buying this game will effectively have a connection.

As long as the game functions without connecting. A know a few people that doesn`t have their console connected. But you are right, it`s pretty impossible to own a PC today without a stable connection.

jackdoe

If they don't have a net connection, how are they going to download the live action episodes to play offline?

Alan Wake return
being in the game.

Let me ask you this question. How do you think footage of console-only games gets onto Youtube?

Gamezone

Gold Member
Alan Wake return
being in the game.

Putting the cutscenes up on Youtube won't spoil the game for anyone, unless someone holds a gun to their head and force them to watch them.

MW2 No dedicated servers!
Fuck you Infinity Ward!

Diablo III is always online!
I want a refund Blizzard!

Destiny is always online!
Activision corrupted Bungie!

Quantum Break streams cut scenes!
RAGE!!

This too shall pass.

Gamezone

Gold Member
So head of PR at Remedy (@RiotRMD on Twitter) just told me that every game section will work without ever connecting. So yeah, the game is still playable.

DigtialT

I really would like to hear the supposed "myriad" of technical issues that stop the PC from downloading the cutscenes that don't stop the Xbox One. Their dodging of the question seems really fishy.

Son Of D

MW2 No dedicated servers!
Fuck you Infinity Ward!

Diablo III is always online!
I want a refund Blizzard!

Destiny is always online!
Activision corrupted Bungie!

Quantum Break streams cut scenes!
RAGE!!

This too shall pass.

People complained about Destiny being always online? Isn't it a MMO?

Top Bottom