• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break's live action cut scenes needs an internet connection

shandy706

Did you fail reading comprehension in school?

No, I didn't. You insinuated that they would be much lower bit-rate (was thinking less than 4k). Which I took to mean, easy misunderstanding, that it would be under 4k.

The number of people that don't read at all on here made me assume you hadn't seen that.

However, I see you meant it would be 4k(pr) now, lol.

farisr

These were never intended to be part of the game, these are a Live action TV show that was originally going to be broadcast.
Umm no... as far as I recall this was always meant to be something that comes with the game. Broadcasting does not seem like it was ever an option as the way the episode plays out is supposed to change based off your own choices in the game.

Orayn

No, I didn't. You insinuated that they would be much lower bit-rate (not true 4k). Which I took to mean, easy misunderstanding, that it would be under 4k.

However, I see you meant it would be 4k(pr) now, lol.

Bitrate and resolution are independent. A 4K video could be uncompressed, or it could be rather low quality, Both are 3840x2160.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Umm no... as far as I recall this was always meant to be something that comes with the game. Broadcasting does not seem like it was ever an option as the way the episode plays out is supposed to change based off your own choices in the game.

This is right. I just found out by doing a google search.

These were never intended to be part of the game, these are a Live action TV show that was originally going to be broadcast.

Nah, they were always part of the game.

They've said from the beginning that the live action parts would dictate how the story unfolds or how you play will dictate the live actions scenes you see.

I forget, it's been so long...

from the other thread
Its not external. The live action is in the game and allows you to see what the villains are up to. It's not like app you have to go download - it's part of the game and while you can just play the game and skip the live action and the story still makes sense, it's really a cohesive package. You should experience both.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
You can download the episodes on the Xbox One and install them, so you dont have to stream. No problem.

How does the show stream with slower internet connections ? Just like Netflix etc do.

For the people saying "dumb", there is a lot of reasons why the live action has to stream. One reason is that there is over 40 variations of the four episodes (the changes are often subtle, one or two scenes depending on what you unlock in the game via Quantum Ripples) so the total file size is far too great to fit on a disc.

Yes, we realize streaming is not ideal for certain countries, but there's a myriad of technical reasons, that I cannot go into, which necessitated this choice.

Mutta Puha. Like others have said already an option would be nice. You have 1080p and 4K versions already created. If you let the players decide which one to choose from then that would be a win-win situation for all. Yes, the quality of the overall assets/effects are probably lower on the Xbone and if those are used on the PC-offline as well, then that's the trade off one has to accept. And streaming is always less quality compared to a blu-ray version.

I have the internets for this but logical options are always better than what Remedy will offer. Anyways, tsemppiä.

Gamezone

Gold Member
So what will happen if I never connect? Will I still be able to play it, or will they force me to download these episodes before I can do anything?

So what will happen if I never connect?

post-25196-BRB-using-imagination-since-no-B9lT.gif

singhr1

Any PC gamer with a tech savvy/cablecutter family. It would be possible to schedule downloads during the night but impossible to watch the cutscenes in high quality because the network is being used at peak hours.

Why would the PC gamer need to have a tech savvy/cable cutter family to fit in this situation lol? Any family that enjoys watching YouTube/Netflix (which is most) will be using bandwidth.

So then watch the cut scenes at like 720p? If you are a "cablecutter" family and use internet streaming often, you should have more bandwidth/higher data caps anyway considering you already stream a bunch of video.

Ricky_R

So what will happen if I never connect? Will I still be able to play it, or will they force me to download these episodes before I can do anything?

That's a good question, actually. I would assume that you will be able to boot up the game offline whether you want to stream/download the live action scenes or not. We'll know soon enough.

m_dorian

Come on MS. Have you learned nothing about denying options to the customers?

It seems to me that the UWA idea is either poorly thought or purposefully exploitative.

EGM1966

Seems odd choice. From start though the game has always seemed like it was mandated to counterpoint gaming with media consumption aligned to the original reveal message for XB1 (including always connected I guess).

I figured they'd have altered those elements to make the TV sections less prominent but perhaps the core design was already too baked in.

Personally not keen on streaming a lot of media vs just having it on the disk. I guess I game assets leave little room it may have come down to a choice between streaming media like this or swapping a disk every time you wanted to watch the TV segment. Odd though they're not offering disk with content you can install for TV media.

Oh well I'll see how people report on this post launch.

Head.spawn

So, wait a sec.... people are totally okay with the PC version, where you have to download the 45GB game, then an option to download the video which is likely double digit GB's would've been totally okay. But streaming them is a dealbreaker?

I get that not having the option to download is certainly annoying; but dealbreaker to stream?

Hopefully they get the downloading cutscene thing worked out on PC, as I can understand how it would be a problem for those with spotty service.

So, wait a sec.... people are totally okay with the PC version, where you have to download the 45GB game, then an option to download the video which is likely double digit GB's would've been totally okay. But streaming them is a dealbreaker?

I get that not having the option to download is certainly annoying; but dealbreaker to stream?

Hopefully they get the downloading cutscene thing worked out on PC, as I can understand how it would be a problem for those with spotty service.

I don't buy movies from services that only let me stream them and not download so why would I buy a game that does the same thing?

Streaming can be quite finicky depending on the connect and time of the day and the number of people sharing the same connection. Downloading the entire game can be done over time while you're sleeping.

Head.spawn

I don't buy movies from services that only let me stream them and not download so why would I buy a game that does the same thing?

If it was only a movie we were talking about here, I'd understand.

Streaming can be quite finicky depending on the connect and time of the day and the number of people sharing the same connection. Downloading the entire game can be done over time while you're sleeping.

It occurred to me that could possibly be the case for some people as I was finishing up that post. I probably shouldn't have surmised that it was a similar reason for everyone.

If it was only a movie we were talking about here, I'd understand.

It occurred to me that could possibly be the case for some people as I was finishing up that post. I probably shouldn't have surmised that it was a similar reason for everyone.

But the cutscenes are tv shows. I wouldn't buy a TV show I could only stream either.

ElNino

Ah there we go

so that's 90 minutes that you say, then all the alternative scenes you may not see.

Either way you are looking at 30+ GB of data for that video in 4k
That must be a hell of an insane bitrate for them not to be able to offer it as a download on PC. I'll be disappointed if there's macroblocking.
How much of that 90 minutes would be repeated the supposed 40 times for the different variations? Do they mix clips that might be the same with the variable parts or would the entire "episode" be unique?

If they are unique, that would be A LOT of video... hence the streaming.

All this does is create additional points of failure that accomplishes nothing but harm the consumer. The too much space on a disc problem was solved 20 years ago by including multiple discs. This is simply online DRM for a single player game and this kind of practice should by ridiculed and forced to be done away with.

50 GB is not enough disc space for the world changing awe inspiring life altering revolutionary experience that is Quantum Break.

MS really doesn't want any PC gamers to play this game judging from the UWA limitations of Windows 10 Store apps and now this. They are somehow managing to do even worse than they did with Games for Windows Live and that's saying a lot.

jackdoe

How much of that 90 minutes would be repeated the supposed 40 times for the different variations? Do they mix clips that might be the same with the variable parts or would the entire "episode" be unique?

If they are unique, that would be A LOT of video... hence the streaming.
Obviously not enough to keep the Xbox One version from being able to download the videos, the console with the default 500 GB HDD. So I'm not sure why MS thinks a large file size would deter PC gamers who have multiple HDDs in their PCs (I have three, one 250 GB SSD, one 1 TB SSD, and one 2 TB HDD).

dr_rus

Ah there we go

so that's 90 minutes that you say, then all the alternative scenes you may not see.

Either way you are looking at 30+ GB of data for that video in 4k

That video obviously won't be in 4K, it'll be just 1080p. 90 mins of 1080p depending on a compression used can be anywhere from 1GB to 50GB. Considering that we're looking at Internet streaming option for it I think it'll be closer to the lesser figure -- probably something like 2,5GBx4=10GBs or something.

speedomodel

Quantum Break ‏@QuantumBreak 1h1 hour ago

FYI: Due to many versions of the show (based on your decisions) it's streamed. Of course if you wish you may download them and play offline.

ElNino

Obviously not enough to keep the Xbox One version from being able to download the videos, the console with the default 500 GB HDD. So I'm not sure why MS thinks a large file size would deter PC gamers who have multiple HDDs in their PCs (I have three, one 250 GB SSD, one 1 TB SSD, and one 2 TB HDD).
It's possible, but we don't know how the downloads work at this point. I'd hazard a guess that the entire 90 minutes does not have 40 different versions though.

I assume it will automatic skip it and give you a summary since that's what Remedy said at last year.
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-quantum-breaks-tv-segments-seamlessly-blend-core-game
I asked Remedy if they'd considered that some gamers might want to skip the live-action segments. The rep told me that the live-action scenes add depth to the story, but exist from another perspective - so if someone did opt to skip the live TV portions, the game itself still provides a coherently contained narrative.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
What happens if you're not connected or don't download the episodes? Can you still continue playing the game or are you required to watch the episode?

EDIT: Never mind. Read the reply a few posts above.

EGM1966

It's about 100% confirmed performance vs variable performance. If you're downloading anyway (which is ultimately all streaming is) then downloading all is better for two key reasons:
  • ensures performance profile vs variable performance of streaming
  • reduces overall download effort over time if you repeat play - download videos once vs stream them multiple times if you play the game multiple times

Streaming only for PC is really odd vs just allowing you to download the whole shebang.

I honestly believe every bit of news ever is quickly seen to be negative. This is the way of the world I guess. 90 minutes of video footage would be a large file no matter what.

The decision to not allow downloading on the PC is bizarre.

I can imagine that it will have something to do with people being able to rip the videos easier on PC and uploading them, watching them early, sharing them spoilers etc. other than that I see no reason as to why

oops double post sorry

I mean, yeah. My download speed is consistent but slow; a 45GB game means leaving my PC on overnight, but it'll eventually get done. Even if the cutscenes are another 20 or 30GB, I can still get them downloaded eventually; if I get to preload, there's no problem at all. But streaming stuff is totally different. I can pretty much keep up with Netflix at 1080p (assuming I'm not downloading anything else at the same time), but anything beyond that is out of the question.

Having to sit there while a cutscene in my video game buffers, or watch it in shitty quality because my connection's too slow, doesn't sound like much fun.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Quantum Break ‏@QuantumBreak 1h1 hour ago

FYI: Due to many versions of the show (based on your decisions) it's streamed. Of course if you wish you may download them and play offline.

That doesn`t say anything about what happens if we never connect.

scitek

I honestly believe every bit of news ever is quickly seen to be negative. This is the way of the world I guess. 90 minutes of video footage would be a large file no matter what.

It's really just the fact that Xbox One users will be given the option to download them and PC users won't that's the issue here. My PC has way more storage available than any console I ever own will, so there's really no excuse to not let me download it, too.

GlamFM

Banned
It's really just the fact that Xbox One users will be given the option to download them and PC users won't that's the issue here. My PC has way more storage available than any console I ever own will, so there's really no excuse to not let me download it, too.

They will all be on youtube in 0.1 seconds after the game is released.

What´s the problem here?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I somehow don't think the streamed 4k resolution videos are gonna have the hottest bitrate.

Top Bottom