• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break's live action cut scenes needs an internet connection

shandy706

Have you missed the whole live being fucked for thousands of people? not everyone has the connection or bandwith free.

Did you miss that you can download them to your X1 :p

You don't have to stream on X1.

It won't surprise me if they become downloadable on PC too.

Weevilone

Silly me for wanting my physical releases to actually be on the disk. It's bad enough that games are shipped broken and patched later. This is just planned obsolescence.

jiggles

Banned
Can't wait for it to switch to Quantum Channel in the middle of the game in a way that's as seamless and unobtrusive as in Halo: MCC

MUnited83

For you.
... Why not just put it on the Store as a separate download for people that want to have them saved as a option?

This is going to be a mess on launch day.

Edit:pH, so there is the option. Good. Still think its going to be a mess on launch day for the streaming folks.
Doubled edit: not available for the PC version. Lol MS

It's 2016. We have games like Wolfenstein that run 50-60 GBs, and hardly anyone bats an eye.

Are they seriously claiming the video files are too big to just download in the first place on PC?

Knurek

For the people saying "dumb", there is a lot of reasons why the live action has to stream. One reason is that there is over 40 variations of the four episodes (the changes are often subtle, one or two scenes depending on what you unlock in the game via Quantum Ripples) so the total file size is far too great to fit on a disc.

You mean you will fill out my 3 TB harddrive?
Or my secondary 2 TB harddrive?
How much data are you trying to push through my 10 Mb/s net connection exactly?

clem84

Gold Member
We're slowly getting there. One day every game will be digital and everything, menu, level, cut-scene, will be streamed as you play the game.

For the people saying "dumb", there is a lot of reasons why the live action has to stream. One reason is that there is over 40 variations of the four episodes (the changes are often subtle, one or two scenes depending on what you unlock in the game via Quantum Ripples) so the total file size is far too great to fit on a disc.

Yes, we realize streaming is not ideal for certain countries, but there's a myriad of technical reasons, that I cannot go into, which necessitated this choice.

Ahh... that makes sense, thanks for the explanation.

If I was a betting man, its to stop PC people from having easy access to the files,so they cant just throw up a torrent of all the "Episodes"

Lime

la9UNCg.gif

Pandy

This is thread is all gonna be people responding on the first post and not scroll down..
It gets better if you scroll down, but not so much as to make a major difference. This is still hilariously typical of MS.

Given that we'll learn exactly how big the cut-scene download is when the XBO download becomes available, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

I was going to get the Windows 10 version of this game; now I'll have to reconsider.

Internet speeds at my college are crap; I rarely watch Netflix because it looks terrible on my projector. I actually have to buy stuff on iTunes.

squall23

You can download the episodes on the Xbox One and install them, so you dont have to stream. No problem.

How does the show stream with slower internet connections ? Just like Netflix etc do.

Yes, we realize streaming is not ideal for certain countries, but there's a myriad of technical reasons, that I cannot go into, which necessitated this choice.
That doesn't explain PC.

Wulfram

How is the whole generation going for you, so far?

I'm on PC so maybe its different on console, but having slow internet has not really been a huge problem if you're patient. You just leave stuff on overnight, or over a couple of nights, to download

Whereas streaming video basically means it can't be anything but poor quality if it'll work at all.

ElNino

It gets better if you scroll down, but not so much as to make a major difference. This is still hilariously typical of MS.

Given that we'll learn exactly how big the cut-scene download is when the XBO download becomes available, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
If you can download them on the Xbox One, will it download all possible cut scene combinations? Or will it only allow you download the scene for your game?

The XO can't connect to the Internet at my uni at present and I'm going away over easter which means that I'll have to take my XO home and download it in the last two days or I won't be able to experience this.

Not happy about this :(

Genio88

Damn, even though i've a Xbox One i'm gonna play it on PC, and not having the option to download those it's shame, my 6mb connection ain't that good in streaming fullhd video, i don't want to have to wait for the buffering, also what if that day i've conection problems? I hope they'll give the download option on Windows 10 too, the 4k excuse doesn't stand, they can allow us to choose what resolution we want to download

Top Bottom