• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) Pre-TGS Hype thread + Possible release date

duckroll

Okay, with Lost Odyssey having been blown out in Famitsu recently, Blue Dragon is next on the agenda. Next week's Famitsu will have an interview with Sakaguchi about Blue Dragon much like the Lost Odyssey one last week. Meanwhile the game will be publically shown and playable for the first time at TGS this week. It is unknown if a demo will be hitting Marketplace at the same time, but we can be hopeful.

In other news, there have been rumors over the past week that the release date of Blue Dragon has been set in Japan for 7th December. Because these rumors have no real basis (some claim it is in an upcoming issue of V Jump) I've ignored them. Then this showed up:

Apparently they're solicitating the upcoming release of some tie-in products with Blue Dragon coming out in November and December respectively. Mini-figures and flashlights, bleh. Interestingly enough, both flyers state that the game will be released in December of this year, giving more weight to the rumors that have been popping up! Believe! :D

duckroll

Bad_Boy said:
do you know how long the game has been in development?
serious question.

MS first announced that it signed a deal with Mistwalker to producer 2 "epic role-playing games" back in the end of Feb in 2005. So going by that, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey have only been in development for 2 years max.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
duckroll said:
MS first announced that it signed a deal with Mistwalker to producer 2 "epic role-playing games" back in the end of Feb in 2005. So going by that, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey have only been in development for 2 years max.
sounds good. seems like they are going to bust out with alot of media at X06.
i was asking that question because we have known about the game for a long while, but barely have seen any real media from it (yeah realtime trailers and what not, but no gameplay IIRC).

duckroll

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Try TGS. I doubt that Blue Dragon will show up at X06.

Considering Gears of War and Forza 2 will be at TGS too, I don't think it's a stretch. Obviously the focus will be switched, with TGS focusing more on the JP games and X06 focusing more on the western games, but I think MS would be silly to not have all the games at both events.

I know it'd be silly not to have it at X06, but I'm just going by their history. Typically they have an entirely different showing at TGS compared to their X** events. Right now, I'd be surprised to see Blue Dragon at X06.

qcf x2

I hope this game turns out well. I'm still as excited about this as Lost Oddyssey.

The art in this is fantastic, and as a Chrono/DBZ fan (well, back in the day) it's all the better.

The Thumbs Up Dragon is gangsta.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
duckroll said:

It's highly likely that Mistwalker had been working on story, concepts, characters and possibly even assets long before that.

Jonnyram

Oh man, Blue Dragon and PSU360 out the same month.
Not forgetting that damned Nintendo hardware launch too... I'm gonna be so broke in December -_-;

duckroll

Stinkles said:
It's highly likely that Mistwalker had been working on story, concepts, characters and possibly even assets long before that.

I think that's pretty unlikely.

In the Feb announcement, J Allard said that he first talked to Sakaguchi in April of 2004 and only after months of negotiations did they decide to sign a deal to fund two RPGs with the newly formed studio.

Considering how Mistwalker doesn't really make the games (Blue Dragon is Artoon and Lost Odyssey is Feel Plus+ which incidentally was formed just to make Lost Odyssey) it would be really stupid of them to start production on something without solid funding. I doubt any work started before Dec of 2004 at earliest.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So what exactly is the breakdown between Mistwalker and the "helper" teams (Artoon and Feel Plus, I believe)?

Does Mistwalker do the modeling and assets and CG or some of that whored out as well?

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
What i would like to know is just how much money MS funded.

Feel Plus was founded by the help of MS am i right? Then funding two games (and probably others)

They must have paid alot of money.

duckroll

$50 million for two large scale RPGs filled with CG movies, next-gen graphics and top billing designers/developers sounds about right. The budget for each current-gen FF game is about $20 million. Since MS can pump $75 million into the Too Human trilogy, this will likely get much better returns anyway. :p

As for how the teams and Mistwalker work out, Mistwalker is basically just a design studio. Sakaguchi plans the games he wants to make. He creates the scenarios, the gameplay systems and the outline of the entire game with his small team at Mistwalker. Then he contracts high-profile designers, artists and composers to work on each game based on those guidelines while he supervises.

When the package is ready to enter development stage, he works with the team assigned (Artoon, Feel Plus+, Cavia, etc) to the project while continuing to supervise the production. So the studio that actually developers the game is responsible for all the modeling, programming, art assets, etc, but they're all based on and supervised by Sakaguchi and his personal team all the way through.

IJoel

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Why do people bother about this kind of bullshit? Does it even matter? As long as the games are good, who fuking cares?

Well, people here care more about charts than the actual games. You should know better by now. :p

Sallokin

If it hits in December in Japan I'm curious as to how fast MGS will turn around a localisation. Do you think they've been working on it already? Or will they wait until it's completely finished before starting? I'm pretty amped to have something, anything really, with Sakaguchi's name on it coming out.

Lets get the TGS Party started!
I'm so stoked for the Mistwalker ownage at TGS!
HypeTrain.jpg

Teleporter

Someone has the mistwater website url? I would love to practice my japanese on it!
I know this game will give xbox360 a boost in japan! It can`t, just cant get wrong i think...
If this flops them itll be asured that nothing ms will do in japan will work... Im crossing my fingers!

ronito

duckroll said:
In other news, there have been rumors over the past week that the release date of Blue Dragon has been set in Japan for 7th December. Because these rumors have no real basis (some claim it is in an upcoming issue of V Jump) I've ignored them. Then this showed up:

Wow, if that isn't a rumor, launching within a week of the Wii's and Zelda's release just seems like folly.

Woops, missed it mid -thread :p

so...Artoon and Feelplus+

Sakaguchi, Toriyama and Ueumatsu

AAA game does not three men make.. let's just hope they come through with something decent.

PhatSaqs

Banned
artful_dodger said:
Woops, missed it mid -thread :p

so...Artoon and Feelplus+

Sakaguchi, Toriyama and Ueumatsu

AAA game does not three men make.. let's just hope they come through with something decent.
Ah. Still "scared" are we? Dont worry, your precious PS3 will be rife for RPGs :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Did someone say mini figures? I'm all over that.

Zilch

Banned
artful_dodger said:
Why would I be scared? I have a X360 and I'll probably buy both of these games day one.

Expressing any doubt about the quality of these games means you're a straight-up Microsoft-hatin', Sony-lovin' bastard. Didn't you know?

azxza

duckroll said:
I think that's pretty unlikely.

In the Feb announcement, J Allard said that he first talked to Sakaguchi in April of 2004 and only after months of negotiations did they decide to sign a deal to fund two RPGs with the newly formed studio.

Considering how Mistwalker doesn't really make the games (Blue Dragon is Artoon and Lost Odyssey is Feel Plus+ which incidentally was formed just to make Lost Odyssey) it would be really stupid of them to start production on something without solid funding. I doubt any work started before Dec of 2004 at earliest.

I'd say that's pretty likely when you consider Mistwalker site went live on Dec 3rd 2004 and you could see a piece of Lost Odyssey concept art in the art section IIRC.

Mistwalker doesn't make games but the pre-production. It wouldn't be really stupid work on story, concepts and general gameplay systems in order to sell the project to publishers.

PhatSaqs

Banned
artful_dodger said:
Why would I be scared? I have a X360 and I'll probably buy both of these games day one.
Gee I dont know, you tell me :lol

Expressing any doubt about the quality of these games means you're a straight-up Microsoft-hatin', Sony-lovin' bastard. Didn't you know
See above. Dudes exposed his color already.

Captain N

I can't wait for TGS so I can actually see some more info on this game. I want to see it being played and I want to play it myself before the end of the year. If it turns out to be good I'll probably import a core from Japan along with this game.

Ok, you got me. I'm a M$ hatin' PS3 fanboy for life! *shakes in his boots at Mistwalker RPG's*

btw that quote was from over a year ago and has no relevance to my current stance on these games or the 360.

PhatSaqs

Banned
artful_dodger said:
btw that quote was from over a year ago and has no relevance to my current stance on these games or the 360.
The fact that you said you were "kinda scared" about a system potentially getting good RPGs is all kinds of ****in hilarious tho :lol :lol

Aeana

artful_dodger said:

Dragon Quest? Horii, Toriyama, Sugiyama + some other company--sometimes Chunsoft, sometimes Heartbeat, Level 5, etc.
This situation actually sounds pretty darn similar to me.

PhatSaqs said:
The fact that you said you were "kinda scared" about a system potentially getting good RPGs is all kinds of ****in hilarious tho :lol :lol

eh... nothing wrong with some caution... especially when looking at the 360 and japanese support. he expressed a pretty valid point of view IMO

I just mentioned this in another thread too, but it's well known that BD and LO both existed on paper well before MS signed on. At one point Square Enix was in talks with Sakaguchi to develop Blue Dragon for PS2.

Goddamn, I can't wait. Blue Dragon looks gorgeous from the scans we've seen. I want to know more about the battle system and whatnot though.

Angela Liu said:
Mmm, an Uematsu score, completely on his own; that's a rare occasion nowadays. Can't wait to hear the soundtrack!

I swear...your avatar is so... "catchy."

BD demo TGS please.

Teleporter said:
Someone has the mistwater website url? I would love to practice my japanese on it!
I know this game will give xbox360 a boost in japan! It can`t, just cant get wrong i think...
If this flops them itll be asured that nothing ms will do in japan will work... Im crossing my fingers!

http://www.mistwalker.info/index.html

ThirdEye

Jonnyram said:
Oh man, Blue Dragon and PSU360 out the same month.
Not forgetting that damned Nintendo hardware launch too... I'm gonna be so broke in December -_-;
Many people in Japan will be like that with big product releases in Dec... and will just ignore 360 altogether. Just my 2 Yen.

Jonnyram

ronito said:
Wow, if that isn't a rumor, launching within a week of the Wii's and Zelda's release just seems like folly.
It's easy to think this, but nothing in the industry is that easy to predict now. On paper, it seems like the Wii will destroy everything for some reason, or the PS3 will destroy everything for another reason, but let's not forget that DS is still sold out everywhere in Japan and Pokemon is coming out in two weeks to make matters even worse. So it's highly possible that Wii, 360 and PS3 will have potential sales suppressed by continuous DS demand.

Top Bottom