• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Gamer: Final Fantasy XV: In-depth Technical Preview PS4 XboxOne

Hoje0308

Banned
Square Enix have quite a year behind them but an even bigger one incoming, after Rise of the Tomb Raider and Hitman this year will see both one of my most anticipated games in Dues Ex Mankind Divided and another even Bigger title in Final Fantasy XV a game that has been a labour of love for the Japanese developer. So much so that it necessitated its own ground up Engine call Luminous Studio first revealed way back in 2012 with Agni’s Philosophy.

Find out how the latest Engine version fairs and just what it delivers on console as we take a detailed look.

Link

Performance analysis

The game has an average frame rate around 28-29 on PS4 and yet reading the demo impressions thread, one might assume it is way worse. Shame about the frame pacing issues though.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The game has an average frame rate around 28-29 on PS4 and yet reading the demo impressions thread, one might assume it is way worse. Shame about the frame pacing issues though.

A lot of people confuse frame pacing with framerate dips could be the reason. They did it with Bloodborne.

BumRush

I think it's pacing and laggy combat that people are confusing with frame rate

Edit: as deepenigma said

Hoje0308

Banned
A lot of people confuse frame pacing with framerate dips could be the reason. They did it with Bloodborne.

They both lead to an experience that isn't exactly optimal. I don't care if stuttering is the result of the frame rate or frame pacing, it's distracting. Luckily there's still six months until launch, so hopefully these issues are addressed.

Edit: I just want this experience to not be ruined by poor performance.

giphy.gif

platina

It definitely is the frame pacing issue but bloodborne was way more easier on the eyes than this demo, my guess? No yebis motion blur during gameplay

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is this a thing with japanese developers? Dark souls series and now final fantasy have frame pacing issues
I think it's a coincidence. A LOT of Western games have had issues with this as well but, in most cases, a patch was released to fix it. FFXV isn't finished so it could be solved in the final game (and isn't even a problem on XO). Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 are the two that are strange in that it should have been fixed but never was.

brawly

I'd imagine most people can't differentiate framerate drops and frame pacing. I know I can't. Just isn't smooth at the end of the day.

Jonnax

I think it's a coincidence. A LOT of Western games have had issues with this as well but, in most cases, a patch was released to fix it. FFXV isn't finished so it could be solved in the final game (and isn't even a problem on XO). Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 are the two that are strange in that it should have been fixed but never was.

What needs to be done technically to fix frame pacing?

dark10x

What needs to be done technically to fix frame pacing?
It should depend on how the game synchronizes with the refresh rate of the monitor. On the PC, there are plenty of utilities that you can use to solve the problem. It really shouldn't be difficult.

Jigolo

I've learned over my years on gaf is don't trust this forums word on anything to do with framerate at all.

Hoje0308

Banned
It should depend on how the game synchronizes with the refresh rate of the monitor. On the PC, there are plenty of utilities that you can use to solve the problem. It really shouldn't be difficult.

Being a SoulsBourne fan, this makes me sad. Why, From, why?

I've learned over my years on gaf is don't trust this forums word on anything to do with framerate at all.

The frame pacing issues make it seem much worse than it is. But really, poor performance is just that no matter the cause. So yeah, in a way it is as bad as some people have made out. Frame times are sometimes outrageous on PS4.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They both lead to an experience that isn't exactly optimal. I don't care if stuttering is the result of the frame rate or frame pacing, it's distracting. Luckily there's still six months until launch, so hopefully these issues are addressed.

giphy.gif

I completely agree.

garyizraw

Banned
PS4 version has some odd colors, Xbox seems more stable overall with less pacing. Early winner.

BTW what is the rez on these games they both look fairly jaggy

dark10x

You know, it's especially disappointing considering that FROM's PS2 output was almost universally 60fps (barring one or two titles).

Though, there was a weird thing with King's Field IV - the game runs at 60fps but the player movement is sampled at half-rate. So camera panning is 60fps, but while moving forward, you get the impression it's only 30fps. Never understood what was up there.

Ever since the PS360 gen, FROM has never really been able to deliver high frame-rates again.

I can confirm that while Xbox One version might have less stable frame rate than PS4, it was much more smoother overall. I played on both PS4 and Xbox One.

Hoje0308

Banned
PS4 version has some odd colors, Xbox seems more stable overall with less pacing. Early winner.

BTW what is the rez on these games they both look fairly jaggy

Dynamic res on both, with PS4 having the higher floor and ceiling.

Ever since the PS360 gen, FROM has never really been able to deliver high frame-rates again.

Which is of course right when I became more than peripherally aware of them.

RyudBoy

PS4 version actually feels worse because of the frame pacing issue. I noticed it immediately but wasn't sure why. Surprised to see that it holds a more steady frame rate.

garyizraw

Banned
Dynamic res on both, with PS4 having the higher floor and ceiling.

makes perfect sense alot of moments on my xbox one made me say damn the PC version is the only one worth playing (IF it happens), didn't try on my PS4 but during the fight Iron Giant fight in the video above. PS4 looks like shit

KZObsessed

giphy.gif

Holy shit I hadn't seen that footage. That looks amazing o_O

GHG

Gold Member

giphy.gif

The fuck... What video is this gif from?

Hoje0308

Banned
makes perfect sense alot of moments on my xbox one made me say damn the PC version is the only one worth playing (IF it happens), didn't try on my PS4 but during the fight Iron Giant fight in the video above. PS4 looks like shit

It think it's happening. Would be silly to leave money on the table,especially given how long this game has been sucking up resources. I won't have a gaming PC for a while yet, so I'm just hoping the PS4 version launches with consistent frame pacing and a frame rate that isn't distracting. The world seems incredibly charming, so I don't think I'll have trouble moving past the occasional "Wew, slideshow!" moment so long as they only happen during a perfect storm of system stress.

The fuck... What video is this gif from?

One of the trailers shown during the Uncovered event. No idea why it isn't in the official release date trailer that SE released. I pre-ordered the deluxe version after seeing that and I'm sure I'm not the only easily entertained child with a credit card in existence.

Can someone explain frame rate vs frame pacing.
Framerate - the number of unique frames per second

Frametime - the amount of time each of those frames is displayed

In a locked 30fps title with no framepacing issues, each frame displays for 33.3ms or 2x16.67ms

In a locked 30fps title with poor framepacing, some frames might display for 16.67ms, some for 33.3ms, while others display for 49.97ms, thus causing stutter

Example - order of frames with no framepacing issues in a 30fps title on a 60Hz monitor:

1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5

In this example, each unique, numbered frame displays for the exact same amount of time (2x16.67ms, so two monitor refreshes)

Order of frames with poor framepacing in a 30fps title on a 60Hz monitor:

1 2 2 2 3 3 4 4 4 5

In this example, unique, numbered frames display for uneven amounts of time - some for 16.67ms (one monitor refresh), others for 33.3ms (two monitor refreshes), others for 49.97 (three monitor refreshes) - thus making the game stutter.

I can confirm that while Xbox One version might have less stable frame rate than PS4, it was much more smoother overall. I played on both PS4 and Xbox One.

Agreed, even though the average FPS of the XBone is lower, I found the PS4 to be unbearable most of the time. Looking at the graphs, the FPS seems to be locked at 30 most of the time (or going to 31 for a few milliseconds) but frametimes are all over the place, for me it feels like a perceptibly much lower inconsistent framerate throughout the whole demo.

Definitely going to hold out for a PC version no matter how good the reviews are.

Hoje0308

Banned
Agreed, even though the average FPS of the XBone is lower, I found the PS4 to be unbearable most of the time. Looking at the graphs, the FPS seems to be locked at 30 most of the time (or going to 31 for a few milliseconds) but frametimes are all over the place, for me it feels like a perceptibly much lower inconsistent framerate throughout the whole demo.

Definitely going to hold out for a PC version no matter how good the reviews are.

DF and NX will almost certainly have some kind of initial analysis up shortly after launch. I'd expect the frame times to be fixed on PS4 by then. Fingers crossed for the rest.

Hoje0308

Banned
Huh, didn't notice this on my first time through (was playing TWAU while I listened :p), but NX thinks the Platinum Demo is using reconstruction, as opposed to a dynamic resolution. He starts talking about it at 4:52.

DF and NX will almost certainly have some kind of initial analysis up shortly after launch. I'd expect the frame times to be fixed on PS4 by then. Fingers crossed for the rest.

Bloodborne still isn't fixed though, whilst nowhere near as bad as the FFXV demo, I've only put around 3 hours into it as I haven't been compelled enough to pick it up again because of this. Unfortunately, frame pacing affects me more severely than most gamers.

wmlk

You'd think he'd give an absolutely terrible review on the demo based on the other thread.

He speaks glowingly about this game. And with the combat not being explained by the demo but has a lot of discoverable aspects, I'm not too worried.

Hopefully performance gets better with those warps especially.

Fezan

Actually I was able to clearly tell that it had both frame rates and frame pacing issue.

Other thing is due to lack of motion blur and strange camera placement made this feeling very jarring. If it had smooth motion blur most complaints will go away

Hoje0308

Banned
Bloodborne still isn't fixed though, whilst nowhere near as bad as the FFXV demo, I've only put around 3 hours into it as I haven't been compelled enough to pick it up again because of this. Unfortunately, frame pacing affects me more severely than most gamers.

Most developers get things sorted before launch or patch in a fix after. From is either incapable of getting their shit together, or they just don't care. I don't see SE letting the PS4 version out the door like that, especially since the XB1 version already seems to be largely free of the issue.

Squire

Banned
He certainly sounds like a reasonable person.

You'd think he'd give an absolutely terrible review on the demo based on the other thread.

He speaks glowingly about this game. And with the combat not being explained by the demo but has a lot of discoverable aspects, I'm not too worried.

Hopefully performance gets better with those warps especially.

The graphics reception is particularly hyperbolic. This pretty munch confirms that. It's a gorgeous game.

Lemondish

The frame pacing issues make it seem much worse than it is. But really, poor performance is just that no matter the cause. So yeah, in a way it is as bad as some people have made out. Frame times are sometimes outrageous on PS4.

Is it Witcher 3 on console levels of poor performance?

wmlk

The graphics reception is particularly hyperbolic. This pretty munch confirms that. It's a gorgeous game.

Seriously, look at this game man.

But the performance during combat is the biggest cause for concern and a pretty big deal, and with it being an ARPG that should be their priority. Tabata's said that's the focus now, so I hope the engine team can make it work.

The Environment trailer doesn't appear to be as dishonest as some people may think with all of this being outside of combat where the performance is generally stable. There's a lot more dynamic stuff that could potentially hurt the game's performance though, such as the huge towns teeming with people.

I just hope they can get the aircar working with a good LOD solution.

Top Bottom