• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enter The Gungeon |OT| Praise the gun

wwxvfR4.jpg

Site | Price: $14.99 | Platforms: PC, Mac, Linux, PS4 | Trailers: Launch trailer, Gameplay trailer, Reveal trailer
Steam | Humble | GMG | GOG | Playstation Store

Enter the Gungeon is a bullet hell dungeon crawler following a band of misfits seeking to shoot, loot, dodge roll and table-flip their way to personal absolution by reaching the legendary Gungeon’s ultimate treasure: the gun that can kill the past. Select a hero and battle your way to the bot¬tom of the Gungeon by surviving a challenging and evolving series of floors filled with the dangerously adorable Gundead and fearsome Gungeon bosses armed to the teeth. Gather precious loot, discover hidden secrets, and chat with opportunistic merchants and shopkeepers to purchase powerful items to gain an edge.

Edit: Yes, it's 60fps on PS4, has an uncapped framerate on PC

R10SDzr.gif

eU1YAZr.png
TGmIsA9.png

2MfLRj1.gif

uVuk4l4.png
y4Qj8Np.png

3hp3DCT.gif

IGcEq4p.jpg
rW39HpZ.jpg

AfCHNI6.gif

eGi77GG.jpg
qLZwqMO.jpg

BaggyHatefulArgusfish.gif

Deband

Nice OT. Can't wait for this on ps4 watched a few of Northern Lions videos over the weekend and it looks right up my street.

Oh and the roll made me think of monster hunter :)

Ri'Orius

Think I heard of this when it hit early access. Looks great: very Binding of Isaac (but without the ascetic, which I was never a huge fan of).

EDIT: Ooh, with co-op, nice! Sounds like it's local only, though?

xkramz

Nice OT!!

The words are not mobile friendly IMO, atleast using my phone. they so small.I had trouble reading them.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I hope the meta layer is good because that is make or break with rogue-likea for me

23qwerty

I can't believe this finally coming out! Gonna wait a bit to see how it performs on PS4 I think though cause I'd rather play it on that than PC. I don't have too high hopes for it on PS4 though with it being a secretly 3D unity game.

What do you mean by "meta layer"?
One additional thing that I will mention about gungeon, is that the dungeons are procedural generated, but they aren't random. There are things that will be integrated into a dungeon's generation BECAUSE of things you've done in the past- and this is important for the player's meta progression. As an example, there is a special quest you can kick off by finding a secret early in the game, which will place a special boss on one of the later levels until you beat him. If you didn't find the secret, that boss will not be included in the generation. There are a number of things like this, and because of that different player's dungeons as a rule are going to generate differently. We think that this adds some story and weight to the dungeon runs, but it also means that seeds work differently in our game by default than other similar games. To do a weekly/daily feature right, we would need to exclude all of that player progression meta from the dungeons generated for that mode. That is absolutely something that we can do and figure out, but its just a matter of doing it *right.* And for now, getting the base game *right* is our biggest concern.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
One and done lol. But yeah, stuff like the weapon and magic unlocks on crypt of the necrodancer, the character upgrades and unlocks in Rogue Legacy, etc.

I dont like when its always a fresh start with no changes on each run, its pointless to me without some sense of progression

So basically I like Rogue-lites not Rogue-likes :p

IrishFighter

Neo Member
Great job with the OT even if I am biased towards the Gungeons and Fragons OT title.

It seems like it has been ages since I first saw this game, glad it's finally releasing. I hope this has more depth than Nuclear Throne though, I enjoy that game but I would appreciate a little more level or boss variety.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Nice OT!!

The words are not mobile friendly IMO, atleast using my phone. they so small.I had trouble reading them.

Heads up: the INDENT tags are what's causing the mini-images on mobile. The images should be ok if the indents on the image section in the OP are removed.
Edit: yup, fixed now.

Looking forward to trying it out! Wonder if it has 120/144 FPS support on PC.

Heads up: the INDENT tags are what's causing the mini-images on mobile. The images should be ok if the indents on the image section in the OP are removed.

Looking forward to trying it out! Wonder if it has 120/144 FPS support on PC.
Aha. Looked good on desktop, but removed the indents so the OT works in both formats

Dingotech

Looking forward to it!

Having never played it or watched many videos I'm assuming the dodge roll gets you through the bullet hell? If I need the skills to dodge all those bullets I can't see me lasting too long!

I can't believe this finally coming out! Gonna wait a bit to see how it performs on PS4 I think though cause I'd rather play it on that than PC. I don't have too high hopes for it on PS4 though with it being a secretly 3D unity game.

Opened thread with very mild interest > Checked OP and was practically sold > Read this post and feeling deflated.

Raticus79

Aha. Looked good on desktop, but removed the indents so the OT works in both formats

Yup, that did it. Each indent was using up about 1/4 the horizontal space in portrait mode so it didn't leave much room for images. Guessing it's using tabs and the mobile site probably isn't set up well for that.

Rhaknar

Oh the OT looks much better on mobile now

Doop

Looking forward to it!

Having never played it or watched many videos I'm assuming the dodge roll gets you through the bullet hell? If I need the skills to dodge all those bullets I can't see me lasting too long!

Yeah, the dodge roll gives you invincibility frames from what I've seen. They seem to take advantage of that a lot, which looks fun.

hawk2025

Preload's preloaded, but now y'all are making me worried that perhaps I should have bought it on PC instead.

Hoping for the best!

Raticus79

Yeah, considering how well the PS4 holds up with Disgaea 5, I'd be really surprised if it can't lock 60 on this one.

Rhaknar

Yeah, considering how well the PS4 holds up with Disgaea 5, I'd be really surprised if it can't lock 60 on this one.

It has nothing to do with what type of game it is, people's fears come from it being a Unity game

Dingotech

Yeah, the dodge roll gives you invincibility frames from what I've seen. They seem to take advantage of that a lot, which looks fun.

Thanks for the reply!

That makes me feel a bit better about being able to play it.

Hopefully I'm better at this compared to Crypt of the Necrodancer...

Stoze

I'm simultaneously incredibly impressed and slightly more wary.

Top Bottom