• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enter the Gungeon coming to PS4 in 2015

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Enter-the-Gungeon-GIF-Logo.gif

Players control of one of several misfits, each of whom are burdened by a deep regret. Seeking a way to change their past, these sorry few have made pilgrimage to a distant planet where a “gun that can kill the past” is said to be sealed in the deepest depths of an ancient temple to the terrifying might of firearms: the Gungeon.

Enter the Gungeon is a fast-paced radial shooter fused with a dungeon-crawler lootfest. The Gungeon challenges players to fight, dodge roll, and table-flip their way through an increasingly difficult series of floors to the bottom of the Gungeon. Each floor is filled with enemies, bosses, NPCs, shops, and secrets. Shops are managed by gunsmiths, bats are bullets with wings, chests are guarded by shelletons and the gundead, and every meaningful trope of the dungeon crawler genre is skewed through the scope of a high-powered rifle. The result is a space that is our love-letter to the many inventive and memorable guns of videogames.

The layout of each floor is procedurally assembled from a huge pool of hand-designed rooms. Every “run” of the Gungeon is different and affords you a single life, but as you descend further and accomplish various goals across lives, the Gungeon evolves. Playable characters all have their own past and motivation for challenging the Gungeon, and each one’s progress will unlock new items, guns, rooms, NPCs, characters, story fragments, enemies and bosses.

Trailer | Blog Post

GIF1.gif

GIF4.gif

GIF3.gif

C6sc3W3.png

Einbroch

Banned
I really liked what I saw. The indie offerings at this event interested me way more than all of Sony's previous events.

dralla

This game looked awesome at the press conference. Sucks it's not out until next year. Keep bring on the 'rogue likes'

Only game I was even interested in from the announcements today. Everything else is just so par for the course.

Every single thing? You can't be serious if you think this will end up being more unique than whatever the hell Wattam is.

Then again, you're that guy who thought he knew what Far Cry 4 was about based on the box art

I'm just messing with you, this does look right up my alley

Sorry for the mini bump. I got to play this yesterday at PAX South and it was my favorite game that I played. Here is my tale.

It felt so good. That tweet sums it up pretty well. The game is no slouch.

The first time I played it I did not make it very far at all. The map is procedurally generated and rooms have branching paths so pressing the trigger brings up a map to keep track of where you are. I got through maybe 7 rooms. I wasn't avoiding the enemies bullets enough failed to use the table cover properly when I needed it. Most of my health was taken by a couple of ghosts that disappear and reappear somewhere else in the room. I was able to make it past a couple more rooms even though I only had one heart left before I was taken out. I was in a room with maybe about 5 enemies and flipped a table to block one enemy but another was able to get me from the side to finish me off.

I kept wanting more though so I had to go back later in the day. I did much better that time around. I made sure to use the dodge a lot more since it makes you invincible and made it a lot father than my previous attempt. I ended up finding a big loot chest that the dev was surprised I got since it was pretty rare that it gets generated in the demo. The loot chest was the end of the road for the path I had taken so after I brought up the map I was able to teleport back to a select room instead of having to backtrack. I ended up running out of ammo for one of my guns so I had to hold off getting killed in the room until an ammo crate came flying in. I accidentally picked the ammo up for my original gun instead of the cool non-automatic magnum like gun I had found so the dev spawned in a new ammo crate for me to use. Just when I started feeling good about how far I was progressing, I got to a room where I cleared everybody out except for one enemy who flipped up a table and took cover. I approached him to finish off the area and him quickly moved out of cover and ended my time with the game.

Can't wait for this to come out. I'm there Day 1 without a doubt.

Tenebrous

I hadn't heard of this game before, but just looking at this gif makes it almost certainly a day one purchase.

GIF4.gif

Beautiful.

Any release date of any sort yet?
Thanks for the impression, so hyped!

Nothing set I believe. I want to say he said they are aiming for summer (june or july) but I heard so many release dates that I might be confused.

I imagine it'll be a little after that.

Everything was super smooth and controlled wonderfully though.

Didn't even notice there was a trailer for it. Holy crap. That looked so good.

I know I asked if it would go to vita but I was talking to the guy while playing so it all just blends together. I know the thoughts of summer and coming to vita are in my head though. Maybe I made them up but I don't think I did. If it does I will gladly double dip if no cross buy.

Top Bottom