• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clearing up the next-gen rpg situation

Bebpo

Banned
Right now the X360 is looking extremely hot with a killer rpg lineup of Blue Dragon, LO, Mass Effect, Trusty Bell, Infinite Undiscovery. The console looks to be set with major rpgs for the next year.

At the same time the PS3 is off to a great start with White Knight Story (FFXIII doesn't quite exist or count yet). Still, I think people are failing to realize that rpgs don't tend to show up parading around launch. Look at the PS2, look at the X360; rpgs start showing up for real around year 2 of the console's lifetime so it shouldn't be such a surprise that PS3 doesn't have 5 killer AAA rpgs ready for launch or the first six months. What rpgs did we have real footage of 2 months before the X360 launched? We had LO and BD in name and an idea that a Bioware game was sure to come...but that's it. Now on the PS3 front it's looking just the same. We have White Knight in actuality, FFXIII in name and an idea that SMT4 is sure to come. Give a year and next TGS if there aren't an equal amount of top-class rpgs being shown for both systems...well I'll eat my hat.

Both systems are going to have a strong next-gen rpg selection and like always rpg fans will be forced to buy the majority of systems to get the experiences. At this point though before the PS3 has even launched, it's a little silly to be doing the "My console has more rpgs than yours!" line.

Upcoming games in the next year (or longer) thanks to the awesome keeper of lists, jarrod:

PlayStation 3
-Angel Rings (SCEI)
-Enchant Arms (From Software/TOSE Software)
-Endless Saga (Webzen)
-Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix)
-Final Fantasy versus XIII (Square Enix)
-Generation of Chaos VI (Idea Factory)
-Makai Wars (N1)
-Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom)
-Monster Kingdom: Unknown Realms (SCEI/Game Republic)
-Project D (Michaelsoft)
-Shin Megami Tensei (Atlus)
-White Knight Story (SCEI/Level 5)

Xbox 360
-Blue Dragon (MGS/MistWalker Studio/Artoon)
-Cry-On (AQ Interactive/MistWalker Studio/caVia)
-Culdcept Saga (Bandai Namco/Omiya Soft)
-Diario: Reverse Moon Legend (Idea Factory)
-Dungeon Explorer (Hudson)
-Enchant Arms (From Software/TOSE Software)
-Eternal Sonata (Namco Bandai/tri-Crescendo)
-Final Fantasy XI: Online (Square Enix)
-Lost Odyssey (MGS/Mistwalker Studio/Feel Plus)
-Infinite Undiscovery (MGS/tri-Ace)
-Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom (MGS/Blue Side)
-Magna Carta II (Banpresto/Softmax)
-Phantasy Star Universe (SEGA/Sonic Team)
-Sangoku Fuugami (Idea Factory)
-Spectral Force 3: Innocent Rage (Idea Factory)
-Super Robot Taisen X0 (Banpresto)
-Tengai Makyo Ziria: Tales of Distant Japan (Hudson/RED)

Wii
-Bokujou Monogotori Heroes (MMV)
-Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Square Enix)
-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (Square Enix)
-Fire Emblem: Goddess of Light (Nintendo/Intelligent Systems)
-Kawa no Nushi Tsuri (MMV)
-The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo)
-Sword of Eternia (Bandai Namco/Tales Studio)

Avalon

SMT4... :)

I've checked out and the PS3 seems to have more RPGs in the works... but none of them have been officially announced

Acosta

I prefer not thinking what R&D 1 can do with a Playstation 3 and SMT4, or I will explode of pure joy.

I´m happy, extremely happy about the future of RPGs:

White Knight looks breathtaking. Lost Oddissey is going to be really huge, I´m sure of it. Blue Dragon looks traditional (but that is not bad in my book, and it looks great as well). Then, as a "lost bullet", I´m willing to give credibility to Monster Kingdom, because I just love the feeling of the game. I still have to make an opinion of Trusty Bell, Infinite Undiscovery and some other.

And of course, Mass Factor is going to destroy my sense for reality for days. In PC there is Neverwinter Nights 2 and Gothic 3, and there are some really promising MMOs in Horizon (Age of Conan, Age of Reckoning and the BIG BOMB that is going to be Burning Crusade).

I think RPG is the genre that benefit most of some of the features of next generation (bigger disc, sweet transiction from real time to CG, lots of scale).

Exciting times ahead.

birdchili

Bebpo said:
rpgs start showing up for real around year 2 of the console's lifetime so it shouldn't be such a surprise that PS3 doesn't have 5 killer AAA rpgs ready for launch or the first six months.

it's brilliant of Microsoft to realize that this was going to happen and flood 2007 with jrpg goodness. the ps2 rpgs are drying up Q1 2007 (afaik), and that 360 is going to look pretty tempting for the jrpg fans after that.

of course... the long-term jrpg support of the 360 is of dubious certainty at best... while their current lineup is brilliant, 2008/09 jrpg lineup for the xbox almost certainly depends on them actually turning this current strategy into some actual japanese sales (though I suppose some of these games could be hits on this side of the water as well).

last gen you could play 80% of the jrpgs with a ps2. there almost certainly isn't going to be a comparable platform this gen.

i *do* hope that the cross-platform competition generates some really interesting games, of course... but it's doubtful i'm going to own every console that has a handful of great rpgs this gen.

SMT4 is probably far off. I really wouldn't be surprised if there was another spinoff on the PS2 before we see the unveiling of that on the PS3.

Gaijin To Ronin said:
Bethesda is developing it (don´t tell me you didn´t know...)

well i knew that, the last thing I've seen is they had a Fallout poster at E3, nothing else about where they are in development or anything.

Acosta

ElectricBlue187 said:
well i knew that, the last thing I've seen is they had a Fallout poster at E3, nothing else about where they are in development or anything.

It will take a while for what I know, so better not expecting more news soon

Gattsu25

Banned
jarrod said:
Yikes... Sony's even got the RPG overlord damage controlling now.
RPG overlord who's never played VP before the PSP

edit: Bebpo does have a point...for a while the PS2 was getting murdered by the DC in the RPG dept.

birdchili

hyp said:
are there any wii rpgs on the horizon?

if you count Dragon Quest: Swords... (though i think this is more a "kill monsters and take their stuff" kindof game, without a lot of the other rpg trappings - hard to say as we know so little about it so far).

otherwise the Wii front is looking pretty sketchy rpg-wise (a shame, really - i really want me some one-handed rpg goodness). there's been talk of an SMT game though...

Bebpo

Banned
jarrod said:
Yikes... Sony's even got the RPG overlord damage controlling now.

...right. It's more like I see people acting really silly and ignoring reality because they like to jump straight to conclusions. If anyone used their brain everything I said would be common sense, but these days I don't think the light is going on up there for many.

I'm just saying, don't make pointless trollish statements towards either system regarding their rpgs because they both rock...and use your brain before posting.

birdchili

Arsenal said:
On the Western side, Fable and Jade Empire will be pretty solid for the 360 as well.

on the western side... if you like rpgs you should get a 360. there isn't even anyone else in contention (unless you really prefer gaming on the pc, of course).

it's the Japanese rpg situation that's getting really muddled this gen. another year or 18 months of solid ps2 rpgs would be nice, so that the situation between the ps3 and 360 could clear up a bit.

Branduil

birdchili said:
if you count Dragon Quest: Swords... (though i think this is more a "kill monsters and take their stuff" kindof game, without a lot of the other rpg trappings - hard to say as we know so little about it so far).

otherwise the Wii front is looking pretty sketchy rpg-wise (a shame, really - i really want me some one-handed rpg goodness). there's been talk of an SMT game though...

If the Wii really takes off in Japan compared to the PS3 it's not inconceivable that Dragon Quest could end up on it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I agree with Bebpo, the 360 has some killer RPGs Trusty Bell looks hot hot. with FF13 and White Knight PS3 isnt far behind.

we off to a great start this gen in terms of RPGs, I remember it took awhile for them to show up in the PS2

jarrod

Banned
Bebpo said:
...right. It's more like I see people acting really silly and ignoring reality because they like to jump straight to conclusions. If anyone used their brain everything I said would be common sense, but these days I don't think the light is going on up there for many.

I'm just saying, don't make pointless trollish statements towards either system regarding their rpgs because they both rock...and use your brain before posting.
Well sure, common sense... but is anyone really even pushing the sort of argument you're prempting here? I mean basically everyone knows already that PS3 is going to be JRPG valhalla eventually, no question, so why the Sonycore thrust? I mean, it's not like PSP or something. ;)

birdchili

Branduil said:
If the Wii really takes off in Japan compared to the PS3 it's not inconceivable that Dragon Quest could end up on it.

sure... but that's pretty hardcore speculation at this point.

i'd *love* to see some solid rpg support on Wii, as I think the remote-only config (especially) lends itself to some really nice turn-based control setups.

Arsenal

birdchili said:
on the western side... if you like rpgs you should get a 360. there isn't even anyone else in contention (unless you really prefer gaming on the pc, of course).

it's the Japanese rpg situation that's getting really muddled this gen. another year or 18 months of solid ps2 rpgs would be nice, so that the situation between the ps3 and 360 could clear up a bit.

I just like em all :)

And again it asounds me to think that the 360 looks like it has a more well rounded library of games in this genre than the PS3 will.

Error

SolidSnakex said:
SMT4 is probably far off. I really wouldn't be surprised if there was another spinoff on the PS2 before we see the unveiling of that on the PS3.
yup

Kaneko did mention there is going to be a Devil Summoner sequel. so I think it'll be Devil Summoer 2 for PS2, the wii Megaten game (if they do indeed make one) and then SMT4 for PS3.

I've not seen what Bebpo's talking about yet, but i've not read every thread on it. I'd like to reiterate a point I made a while back about how it does seem remarkable the 360 getting so much jrpg support compared to the Xbox. I don't think the Xbox got ANY jrpgs (that rumoured port of Suikoden never happened) and now you've got some from a lot of the heavy hitters. Honestly, I thought 360 was just getting Western rpgs and jrpgs would be stuff like that...what was it, some aweful looking game by I think Hudson.

BluWacky

Error2k4 said:
I agree with Bebpo, the 360 has some killer RPGs Trusty Bell looks hot hot. with FF13 and White Knight PS3 isnt far behind.

The problem is for those of us who don't want to have to buy multiple systems it's difficult to know which way to go.

Right now, I want to run out into the shops tomorrow and get a 360 because of Trusty Bell, Lost Odyssey and Infinite Undiscovery (I'm still pretty meh on Blue Dragon, personally, but I haven't seen enough of it yet). The problem is, I'm just not sure how it's going to work from hereon in; sure, we've got all these coming out on 360, but if they STILL tank because of the 360's undeath in Japan, will they all dry up? The 360 doesn't currently have a sufficient variety of other games I'd really be interested in; frankly, the only other game I can think of I'd like is Kameo, and that's reputedly crap!

The PS3, on the other hand, has the immediate draw of Squenix support. But what if the negative buzz cripples sales and the 360 takes off? I can take or leave White Knight; Level 5 have yet to impress me (all their PS2 games that I've played (Dark Chronicle, DQVIII, Rogue Galaxy) are technically wonderful but incredibly tedious to play). With all the backlash against the system it might start out strong but then tank horribly.

I don't feel as though I've missed out on anything having bought a PS2; there hasn't been a jRPG on any other system this gen that I've wanted, and the PS2 had a really broad spectrum of other games available. The Xbox had a couple of games I was interested in but I've done without; I've got relatives with a Gamecube who'll be picking up a Wii at launch so I can play anything on there that interests me. But the worry coming out of TGS for me is that I'm going to miss out if I only buy one system; sure, I could just buy both, but economically and socially that's not ideal for me (besides, I've just bought a PSP and a DS which I've ended up barely playing on for about a month; I'm terrible about buying consoles...)

I'm happy to see what the Japanese are doing with next-gen; everything looks gorgeous and fun. But my concern isn't that the PS3 is lacking; for me, I just don't know what I should be looking for since there's too much choice!

I've just realised that I'm horribly off-topic, but then I can't understand why people would be bitching about one console having more support than others. But then that's just me...

hyp said:
are there any wii rpgs on the horizon?

Fire Emblem, Untitled From Software RPG, Untitled Namco RPG, Untitled Konami RPG (you get the picture).

Hopefully if Wii takes off in Japan it'll start getting some RPG love in a year or so. The DS had a slow start RPG-wise and now they're coming in droves.

Speevy

Banned
Here's the answer.

If Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Trusty Bell, and Infinite Undiscovery bomb (Mass Effect wil be a hit because Bioware just does that), expect very few RPGs on the 360 after that.

If on the other hand those are successful, expect many more. Though in either case, the PS3 will probably have the lion's share by generation's end.

Bebpo

Banned
Kandinsky said:
To the OP: why do you care? lol

Because I'm trying to bring peace and love to these forums to make them readable, but all I'm seeing is fighting and hate between system owners on the rpg front. It makes rpg threads very unreadable since it's just stupid bickering back and forth.

BrodiemanTTR said:
The DS had a slow start RPG-wise and now they're coming in droves.

Yeah, I'm saying every system does. Name me a 3D console that's had non-stop rpgs from the start and I'll give you a look of surprise. Rpgs take longer to develop then most games so they usually start coming in later. I'm sure the Wii will have its fair share of rpgs as well, but like the PS3 most won't be shown until next TGS.

Speevy

Banned
Bebpo said:
Because I'm trying to bring peace and love to these forums to make them readable, but all I'm seeing is fighting and hate between system owners on the rpg front. It makes rpg threads very unreadable since it's just stupid bickering back and forth.

If Square-Enix would make multiplatform games we could definitely bridge the gap between system fans.

Error

Speevy said:
If Square-Enix would make multiplatform games we could definitely bridge the gap between system fans.
RPGs fan shouldnt care about stuff like that, they go where RPGs go.

Bebpo

Banned
Speevy said:

Yeah I think the big problem is that rpgs for the most part (though more on the eastern front than western) aren't multi-platform. You get the occasional one like Symphonia or Enchant, but for the most part rpgs are too much of a pain to be ported so they don't do it.

This makes rpg threads a prime target for trolling since A. Rpgs usually are some of the best looking games on the system and B. They're only coming to 1 specific console.

DQIX should just go multi-platform for all 3 systems and then everyone will agree it is awesome :)

Arsenal

Speevy said:

How many copies of LO must sell before SE takes FFXIV multi?

NM, don't answer that, don't want to derail this thread :lol

birdchili

Bebpo said:
Rpgs take longer to develop then most games so they usually start coming in later.

Which is why the console transition year is always so painful for rpg fans...

Which is also why having such a fantastic lineup of upcomings is so brilliant for MS at this point.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I usually buy the system with the best RPGs.

Who do we thinks gonna take the cake a year from now?
I'm still thinking its going to be PS3... unless we see more mutliplatform games.

I just have a feeling that we're going to see a stark drop in the rate of high-quality RPG releases on the 360 if sales in Japan don't turn around. MS wont keep pumping money into devs and exclusives if they aren't growing their userbase. We may get a few sequals, but if this batch wont move the units, they'll prolly say f*ck it and devs will be on their own, and RPGs plummet as shooters sky rocket...

Error

HolyStar said:
I really like rpg's but what does the Wii have? Is it gonna be just like the Gamecube?
so far... Fire Emblem 10, FF:CC, DQS and SoL

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
HolyStar said:
I really like rpg's but what does the Wii have? Is it gonna be just like the Gamecube?

GC really started kickin some decent ones out at the end there.
Unfortunatly, it was pretty much "too little too late"

Wii?

Announced have been:

Dragon Quest Swords
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles 2
Sword of Legendia
Fire Emblem: PoR sequal

.... thats it?

Edit: Beaten :(

HolyStar said:

See above. At the very least it's getting more support than GC did already. I don't remember Konami or From developing RPGs (or anything really) for the GC.

I think the 360 will have a handful of heavy hitters, but once they realize their magic touch isn't helping the 360 in Japan, it'll become much less >_>

gsarjeant

I'm very pleasantly surprised by the strength of the 360's RPG lineup. Between that and the silly PS2 backlog I have, I think I'll be covered for RPGs for a good while. I don't doubt that the PS3 will have a great lineup in time, but it's nice to know that I'm in good shape with my current consoles for at least the next year or two.

Top Bottom