• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Memcache server error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Desktop version of GAF seems to be down for some people. I'm posting from mobile right now because it's not working on either my PC or MacBook.

Fatal error: unable to connect to memcache server in [path]/includes/class_datastore.php on line 224

Site works fine on mobile. Works fine in forced desktop mode when I'm on LTE. Doesn't work on desktop on WiFi for any of three devices tried. What is this and how do I fix it?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm getting the same error: desktop site doesn't work on PC, while mobile site works on mobile. And, when you try loading the mobile site on PC from the mobile home page, it redirects you to the desktop site, bringing the error up again. What's going on

Not sure how long it'll last but for those that may want to access the mobile page from a desktop, you need to spoof the user agent to mobile otherwise when you access m.neogaf.com on desktop and try navigate elsewhere it redirects to the desktop.

What you do is the following on Chrome (not sure exactly on where to do it on FF but if you can spoof it on FF it'll work the same):

1. Click the top right three vertical bars for that settings menu
2. Click more tools -> developer tools
3. Click console tab
4. Click on those 3 vertical ellipsis towards the left somewhere and add a new Network conditions tab
5. Go to the network conditions tab. Tick user agent, and select something like iPhone iOS 9
6. Now type in m.neogaf.com in your address bar and you should be able to browse the mobile site without being redirected when you click on a board/thread.

You will have to do it within that tab only and you must keep the dev tools open (you can resize the window by dragging the console window downwards if you want.

^yeah, user agent spoofing is letting me view the mobile site on my PC. I'm shit with server stuff so I have no idea what's causing the problem, but I figure more information can't hurt.

Joyful

if you have firefox the prefbar addon lets you change user agent with a dropdown menu
it has other cool features too ofc

after a bit of research it seems like this has something to do with race conditions on a server and IP address collision, so it makes sense that not everyone is going to encounter the error.

For what it's worth I can't get any desktop browser to work unless spoofing the user agent (Chrome pretending to be iPhone).

no more memes for you
ahaha nice try

Orbis

No issues at all here, mobile is fine on Chrome and desktop is fine on Chrome and Firefox, and has been all day.

I'm getting a Desktop error that says 'fatal error: unable to connect to memcache server in [path]/includes/class_datastore.php on line 224'

DieH@rd

Banned
Same error in latest Opera 36.

I used "User Agent Switcher" extension to spoof iOS9 reporting and I am now browsing site via m.neogaf :-/

Can't connect on desktop even using the user-agent switcher to force mobile. And now mobile (on my iPhone) isn't working either to go to the homepage or by clicking direct links. Had to go into history and load a page from there.

Edit: It is working on mobile for me, I was just being dumb. User switching to force mobile on desktop is working too.

Mpl90

I hope we get updates as soon as possible about what's going on and estimates on when the situation will come back to normal. Or the situation is solved directly :p For the time being, the method posted here earlier should be enough, if I can use it XD

Desktop version of GAF seems to be down for some people. I'm posting from mobile right now because it's not working on either my PC or MacBook.

Fatal error: unable to connect to memcache server in [path]/includes/class_datastore.php on line 224

Site works fine on mobile. Works fine in forced desktop mode when I'm on LTE. Doesn't work on desktop on WiFi for any of three devices tried. What is this and how do I fix it?

Why is the server dumping out intimate details? Whoever is in charge of server admin is playing recklessly. :(

Mpl90

Yeah, using Opera with VPN and now the desktop version works again.

Qvoth

happening to me on chrome
gonna try that user agent switcher

edit: switcher doesn't seem to do anything, using vpn does help but i still get the memcache error everytime i post something

BLACKLAC

Same problem. All browsers, from Cali, and even if I do the tricks suggested in this thread on desktop I can't log in without getting the same error. Beyond annoying.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Yeah, GAF stopped working for my Vista PC with Firefox sometime around 5 a.m. EDT. Doesn't look like it's working on my girlfriend's Win10 laptop and Chrome, either, but it works for both our cell phones (which is how I'm posting now). We have Time Warner Internet, if that matters.

GAF admins pls halp

NEO0MJ

Having issues on my side as well, at least when I'm not using a VPN.

Mods, is this because you're not getting paid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom